6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

symptoms of bad motor/trans mounts?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:28 PM

symptoms of bad motor/trans mounts?

OK so I looked and I know I have some mad mounts...at LEAST 2....and lately when it got cold Im noticing rubbing sounds coming from the front end when the engine is on doesnt matter if the car is moving or not...turning the wheel seems to make it better or worse and when i first steart driving i hear thump thump thump sometimes kinda bad. but than it goes away once the car warms up and it drives fine. could the bad mounts be caysing the engine/trans to lean and make some moving parts rub? accelerating and decelerating it doesnt make the noise only when there is no or little pressure on the drivetrain...
Old 11-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Typically bad mounts cause rubbing and/or buzzing sounds upon accelerating or decelerating since the load causes the engine to move excessively.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:49 AM

so what can it be if it is when I am standing still or not accelerating ?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:41 AM

I'd like to know as well. I would always feel a thud when my car decelerates from 3rd to 2nd, more commonly in city driving. Scared it may be a transmission issue, I took my car to my mechanic to get the tranny fluid changed. He pointed out that it the side and front motor mounts were bad and showed me the crack in them. He said the thump or thud I feel is probably the engine rocking back and forth as the load is increased or decreased. It would be an expensive fix. I had previously had the energy suspension front and rear motor mount inserts installed when I got my headers done. I would definitely have had this done back then if it was acting up at the time.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 AM

ok to check ur motor mounts to see if there broken cuz u have electric motor mounts u need two ppl one gets in car holds up e brake and regular brake put it in reverse and keep on the gas not to much jus a lil to get the rpm's up if ur engine lifts up alot u got a bad front mount put ur car in drive and do same thing if it lifts up alot u got a bad rear mount the sides are very hard to break unless u been in a accident or have 700 hp and i highly dout that
Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 AM

LoL I meant my mechanic was saying that the side mount, particularly the driver side, had a crack in the rubber bushing, not the metal mount itself. It does look like my car was in a minor fender bender since the front bumper was slightly damaged with some cracks on the lower valence when I got it. I had replaced the bumper since.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 PM

I'm seeing dark, light viscosity fluid leaking around the motor mount rubber. I understand there is fluid in these new-fangled electric motor mounts. Anyone have this trouble? I thought it was dirty coolant running down to the floor but no leaks can be found in the plumbing- just around the front motor mount. I have a 2006 SE.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by 07whitey
ok to check ur motor mounts to see if there broken cuz u have electric motor mounts u need two ppl one gets in car holds up e brake and regular brake put it in reverse and keep on the gas not to much jus a lil to get the rpm's up if ur engine lifts up alot u got a bad front mount put ur car in drive and do same thing if it lifts up alot u got a bad rear mount the sides are very hard to break unless u been in a accident or have 700 hp and i highly dout that
I don't have 700hp, but I do have a bad front and side mount. The rear mount is probably next. I am wondering what tips and tricks guys are using to change these out. I remember reading someone using a jack and piece of wood to change the front, how about the side mounts, anyone replace that one yet?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow this totally makes sense. I just had my Max's transmission fixed and it shifts fine, but when accelerating slowly she shudders/vibrates between 35-45 mph. She also jerks sometimes when coming out of park. I don't have the violent jerks between 1st and 2nd gear so I know the transmission is okay. I had the timing chain checked and its still in good condition. Thanks again for the info!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldpuck81
I'm seeing dark, light viscosity fluid leaking around the motor mount rubber. I understand there is fluid in these new-fangled electric motor mounts. Anyone have this trouble? I thought it was dirty coolant running down to the floor but no leaks can be found in the plumbing- just around the front motor mount. I have a 2006 SE.
That's what the dealer pointed out on mine. The fluid leaking. They said it could short something if not fixed and wanted $1400 to replace the front and rear mounts. I found them on ebay for $156.50 for both with sensors and I'm going to do it myself.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

For some reason I can't post a New Thread.. I didn't read any of the rules and i'm not sure why anyone new would be subject to posting a new thread, anyways I don't mean to roll up in this topic and completely do a 360, but I need some suggestions as to why my maxima 06 recently has had problems.

Last night I drove over a small pothole and automatically my cars lights went off and ABS BRAKE TCS (off) were turned on, after about 2 seconds the lights shut off and automatically I felt my car was not responding the same. Today, as soon as I got into my car, the steering wheel was so hard to turn.. It would pause and turn after I added force to it, and as soon as I got out of my driveway, the steering was fine. Then as i was approaching a stop sign, I heard a loud thump, which was followed by the lights turning off and on and the ABS BRAKE TCS SLIP were all on . I pulled over and turned off the car. I tried turning it back on and it wouldn't turn on. The gas meter was also below empty which doens't make sense since I just filled up the tank fully. I had my car towed and since i'm really not that great with cars, I don't know what the problem is. Any help/suggestions would be much appreaciated, thanks.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 PM

If the motor mounts are bad and the car is equipped with a knock sensor it will detect engine knock and retard some timing to slow down vehicle. Acceleration could be dangerous to HG's as far as detonation.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 PM

Beefcake. Possible sensor. Cv axle ring damage. Wheel bearing. Abs sensor damage. As far as why it's not starting. Not sure.