6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Déjà vu P0420 Error Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:48 PM

Déjà vu P0420 Error Code

I had my 2006 Maxima for 3 years now, and little by little things are starting to fail. It might be Déjà vu for many of you with these problems. First my tranny crapped out and now the P0420 Error code. I was thinking of just getting headers so I can get rid of the precat problem once and for all. Cars ODO is at 39k so I was thinking of trying to go to the dealer to see if they can replace under the emission warranty cuz I cancel my extended warranty 2 years ago. Does any one know if they are going to ask me to show proof that the car has been maintain/service at approved shops, or would they just run a diagnostic without any of that stuff. One of the main reason for this is that If I can get it replace I can just sell the new one to get more goodies...
Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its covered under factory emissions warranty. 8years/80,000miles.

not necessary to show proof of maintenance.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 AM

Make sure to have all of your records, because I tried to get my Cat Convertor repaired and NISSAN USA fought me left and right and denied me the repair. Good Luck.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:39 PM

My car has 120k milles. Any suggestions about what to do to pass the emissions test? And how to fix it?

Last edited by yoshiki2; 12-07-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:33 PM

So I just changed the belts, pcv valve, oil change and trying to take off all the mods to take to dealer...My friend put some seafoam type product that doesn't not require to change the oil after so many miles. So after a day or so the check engine light went off. Could it just be that one of the sensors where dirty and that seafoam type product clean it...Or is the cars ecu just ignoring the po420 code cuz its been on for a couple of weeks.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM

if there was an error the ecu would still have it stored. the light would not go away unless the error was corrected, or you reset the ECU.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 AM

0420 Code

For what it is worth, my 5th Gen Max threw out the 0420 code all of the time. The car ran fine so I just kept resetting it with an Actron OBD II that I own. It would re-appear in a few weeks & I would reset again.

When I was ready to sell the car I decided to let a mechanic fix the error because I was selling to a family member and didn't want him to have the hassel or potential repair. The Mechanic looked over the car for a full day, tested with his equipment, and said that he could find nothing wrong. So I sold the car & bought an Actron for the purchaser explaining the situation. A few months later I was speaking to the new owner and asked about the code, he said it never came on after he purchased the car. What was the difference you ask? Well, I always put Premium in the car, he always put cheap fuel in. I wonder if as these engines age they start to not like the expensive stuff.

The car had about 90,000 miles when sold.

Just my experience. Best to you.

Originally Posted by Mu33rto
I had my 2006 Maxima for 3 years now, and little by little things are starting to fail. It might be Déjà vu for many of you with these problems. First my tranny crapped out and now the P0420 Error code. I was thinking of just getting headers so I can get rid of the precat problem once and for all. Cars ODO is at 39k so I was thinking of trying to go to the dealer to see if they can replace under the emission warranty cuz I cancel my extended warranty 2 years ago. Does any one know if they are going to ask me to show proof that the car has been maintain/service at approved shops, or would they just run a diagnostic without any of that stuff. One of the main reason for this is that If I can get it replace I can just sell the new one to get more goodies...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
EMD
Newbie - Just Registered

I think this about the same thing

From what I am reading, it sounds like this is the place for my question. I don't know a lot abt cars so if this isn't the right place let me know.

I am looking into buying a used 04-07 automatic with less than 70k miles. This would be my first Maxima ... actually my first vehicle withOUT 4x4. So I am not sure what the standard issues are with this vechicle (like my current baby has chronic tranny trouble). I keep seeing autocheck/carfax reports stating that these cars are failing emissions checks. Is this a common problem or just these I am finding at "no-haggle" used car specialty dealers. If you have some insight into this please pass it along. Thank you!

EMD
Old 12-22-2009, 03:56 PM

Used Max

I have not had any major issues, don't have emission checks where I live. Mine is a 6-Speed Manual. The chrome wheels corroded in 4 years probably due to the road salt in the winter. My car has almost 70K.

Originally Posted by EMD
From what I am reading, it sounds like this is the place for my question. I don't know a lot abt cars so if this isn't the right place let me know.

I am looking into buying a used 04-07 automatic with less than 70k miles. This would be my first Maxima ... actually my first vehicle withOUT 4x4. So I am not sure what the standard issues are with this vechicle (like my current baby has chronic tranny trouble). I keep seeing autocheck/carfax reports stating that these cars are failing emissions checks. Is this a common problem or just these I am finding at "no-haggle" used car specialty dealers. If you have some insight into this please pass it along. Thank you!

EMD