6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

'06 SE Xenon Light Recommendation & Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:09 AM

'06 SE Xenon Light Recommendation & Installation

Have a '06 SE with Halogens that I'm looking to change immediately because I can't see a thing at night.

What brand does everyone recommend I look into for a set of 5K-6K Xenon Lights? I'm looking for the best of the best

Regarding the Installation process:

Is it hard to convert over to Xenons from Halogens? I understand that there is a ballast that needs to be assembled because I converted my '02 SE Fogs over to Xenon. Is the process the same? I'm not an expert by any means so if anyone in the North/Central NJ Area can help me out with the installation, please let me know!

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:28 AM

Looks like I found my answer from a previous thread...I'm going with the e55 Bi-Xenon Light Kit. Should be an interesting process.

Any tips regarding the installation process?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by WeBrake4Nobody
Looks like I found my answer from a previous thread...I'm going with the e55 Bi-Xenon Light Kit. Should be an interesting process.

Any tips regarding the installation process?
You will have to remove the front grill and bumper to be able to get the lights out.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:00 PM

I personally did this mod on my 07. follow the bake your headlights write up and while your at it paint your housing. There should be four screw holding your halogen projectors after removing them your gonna have to give it a good yank to pull it out. remember to turn the vertical adjustment all the way so that the halogen projector comes off the track.
I recommend just buying a set of e55 projectors on ebay probably gonna cost you around $100 then buy a D2S hid kit from retro-solutionsllc.com Heres the link to exactly what you need
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...VERSION/Detail
I highly recommend buying kit from them because they offer lifetime warranty, very very low failure rate, brighter by 30%-40%, supposed to be best in the market and it comes in a nice case. Im currently running a kit from them and i cant ask for anything better. Remember to clean your e55 lens before putting them in and dont lose any of your screws.
If you need help or have questions ill be more than happy to assist you.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Ryaliu...thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it alot. I may be reaching out to you as I plan on taking on this task soon. ONE PROBLEM THOUGH!!!

Nissan for some reason decided to go with a Halogen Headlight manufactured by Toshiba - 9102 is the Size number. What Wire Harness adapter are we supposed to go with in order to make the conversion to Xenon successful. I don't see any conversion kit on any website that is compatible with the 9102 size. Any thoughts? Can anyone help me out on what to do here? This is my last step before I place the order!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:16 PM

Ryaliu...thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it alot. I may be reaching out to you as I plan on taking on this task soon. ONE PROBLEM THOUGH!!!

Nissan for some reason decided to go with a Halogen Headlight manufactured by Toshiba - 9102 is the Size number. What Wire Harness adapter are we supposed to go with in order to make the conversion to Xenon successful. I don't see any conversion kit on any website that is compatible with the 9102 size. Any thoughts? Can anyone help me out on what to do here? This is my last step before I place the order!!!
By wire harness adapter do you mean pigtails? If yes then you should buy these set of projectors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E55-H...Q5fAccessories

I bought from the same seller and if you notice the pigtails in green and black, you can actually unplug those and plug the ones that came with your halogen projector so that you wont need to splice. As far as i know it worked for my set but i have 07. To sum everything up, if you buy the set of projectors above and the other link of the D2S HID kit i sent to your previously, everything should work out fine. Pretty simple but may be confusing at first.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ryaliu
I personally did this mod on my 07. follow the bake your headlights write up and while your at it paint your housing. There should be four screw holding your halogen projectors after removing them your gonna have to give it a good yank to pull it out. remember to turn the vertical adjustment all the way so that the halogen projector comes off the track.
I recommend just buying a set of e55 projectors on ebay probably gonna cost you around $100 then buy a D2S hid kit from retro-solutionsllc.com Heres the link to exactly what you need
I highly recommend buying kit from them because they offer lifetime warranty, very very low failure rate, brighter by 30%-40%, supposed to be best in the market and it comes in a nice case. Im currently running a kit from them and i cant ask for anything better. Remember to clean your e55 lens before putting them in and dont lose any of your screws.
Hi Ryaliu,
You are providing some good info. Any suggestion if I wanted to just upgrade my halogens to HID? I would like to replace my headlights and fog lights
Old 12-14-2009, 01:05 AM

It's 9012 bulb not 9102. Also if you are looking for brighter, then I would go with 3900k not 5-6k. the higher the number the dimmer the light. As you go higher the color changes but the brightness also changes. I recommend if you want brighter bulbs to look into brighter fog lights. The headlights help you see far away but the fogs really light up the road in front and around you.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by tijkane
Hi Ryaliu,
You are providing some good info. Any suggestion if I wanted to just upgrade my halogens to HID? I would like to replace my headlights and fog lights
Initially i went ahead with a drop in hid kit into my halogen projectors. They were better than stock non-hid but the focus of the light was off to the drivers side. The reason behind retrofitting for xenons is because youll get a wider and even spread like the TLs and of course way brighter. Spend a little more and you will be way more happier. I drive a lot at night so this mod was a must for me. Never go cheap for safety.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm also considering upgrading from halogen to xeon.
Xeon is suppose to last longer than these crappy 9012.
Question: If Xeon is installed, is the bulb replacement process the same
as 9012? Right now I hate replacing the 9012 because you either remove
the bumper or remove a wheel with the fender.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Albert
I'm also considering upgrading from halogen to xeon.
Xeon is suppose to last longer than these crappy 9012.
Question: If Xeon is installed, is the bulb replacement process the same
as 9012? Right now I hate replacing the 9012 because you either remove
the bumper or remove a wheel with the fender.
This is the issue I'm having. I just purchased the e55 Projectors and the D2S Xenon Kit. Before I do the install process though (Bumper Removal, Baking the Headlights, Etc.) I need to figure out this 9012 Bulb issue. 2004 - 2006 Maximas come with this horrible headlight if you make the mistake like I did to not originally buy a Max with Xenons. The problem is, NONE of the companies out on the Web, make a harness, or pigtail or whatever you want to call it compatible with the 9012 bulb. So that's the last hurdle and then I'm going to work on this mod and post pictures, have a party, you name it.

Maybe someone with the same issue when working on this mod will come through.

Ryaliu - appreciate the second link you sent me for the e55 projectors...that I fully understand and I'm receiving those tomorrow. Like I said..the main issue is solving the above problem. According to Sylvania.com, 06 and 07's both come with 9012 headlights. So how did you figure out this issue of connecting the kit to a 9012 OEM Halogen Adaptor?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM

This is the issue I'm having. I just purchased the e55 Projectors and the D2S Xenon Kit. Before I do the install process though (Bumper Removal, Baking the Headlights, Etc.) I need to figure out this 9012 Bulb issue. 2004 - 2006 Maximas come with this horrible headlight if you make the mistake like I did to not originally buy a Max with Xenons. The problem is, NONE of the companies out on the Web, make a harness, or pigtail or whatever you want to call it compatible with the 9012 bulb. So that's the last hurdle and then I'm going to work on this mod and post pictures, have a party, you name it.

Maybe someone with the same issue when working on this mod will come through.

Ryaliu - appreciate the second link you sent me for the e55 projectors...that I fully understand and I'm receiving those tomorrow. Like I said..the main issue is solving the above problem. According to Sylvania.com, 06 and 07's both come with 9012 headlights. So how did you figure out this issue of connecting the kit to a 9012 OEM Halogen Adaptor?
I am not too familiar with the headlights of 06 and earlier models but if you ordered the D2S kit i sent you, it should plug right in to your original adapter. I might be wrong but it will be helpful if you can get a picture of your adapter. I hope i am making sense.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 PM

The 9012 connector is very similar to a 9005/9006 connector. Many aftermarket ballasts come with a 9006 connector, so chances are that it will be able to plug right in, you might have to trim a tab or something but it's not a big deal.

Where in NJ are you? I can help you out sometime after Sunday if you want, as long as you're not crazy far away. I've done 3 retrofits, so I know how to bake the headlights and do that stuff. If you'd like to have an extra set of hands to help, I'll do it in exchange for a good deal on the old 9012 projectors you're removing.

Last edited by nalc; 12-14-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 PM
SuPeRmOd

i thought the cutoff or something inside the headlight is also different?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 PM

Hello every one ,iam new here ,Ryaliu do they have clear lens 3'' to get better output and cutoff ? I think mazda 3 are 3'' and WeBrake4Nobody u should call this link to check this out ,u Do Not want to miss this for all that work ,ask them for 3'' lens see wat happen
http://store.theretrofitsource.com/i...f5d9074a124a17
and if u want to get cheaper HID kit with lifetime war ,check this out
http://www.ddmtuning.com/
Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by huyhale1
Hello every one ,iam new here ,Ryaliu do they have clear lens 3'' to get better output and cutoff ? I think mazda 3 are 3'' and WeBrake4Nobody u should call this link to check this out ,u Do Not want to miss this for all that work ,ask them for 3'' lens see wat happen
http://store.theretrofitsource.com/i...f5d9074a124a17
and if u want to get cheaper HID kit with lifetime war ,check this out
http://www.ddmtuning.com/
E55 projectors are 3". All you are doing is just swapping out for xenons.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 PM

E55 projectors are 3". All you are doing is just swapping out for xenons.
do u know they have 3'' clear lens ,dont tell me u didnot do ur ?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 PM

Who is this guy? DDM and TRS are pretty reputable sites, but still, to plug some sites on your first post is in bad taste.

What he's talking about is replacing the factory E55 lens with a clear lens, which will give a sharper, bluer cutoff. Some HID nuts like it, but it's up to you as to whether it's worth it. It won't really help actual road output that much, if at all, just makes the cutoff "pretty". They have comparison pics below. The correct lens for this would be a ZKW 3", not a Mazda3 3".

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/p...7401840b87265f

As for bulbs and ballasts, your best bet is OEM Philips bulbs. Brighter, run cooler, longer lasting and more reliable than aftermarket. For ballasts, aftermarket D2S is fine. Don't get that morimoto trash. There are ebay sellers with low-hours 85122 Philips D2S pair of bulbs for like $50.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 PM

do u know they have 3'' clear lens ,dont tell me u didnot do ur ?
Of course i have 3" clear lens. wouldnt it defeat the purpose if they made lens that are not clear? If what you meant were ZKW-R lenses versus the fresnel lenses then no I do not have them on the reasoning being that there isnt much of an significant difference and that the e55 projectors i have on right now are only temporary until I put some TL projectors on.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 AM

Of course i have 3" clear lens. wouldnt it defeat the purpose if they made lens that are not clear? If what you meant were ZKW-R lenses versus the fresnel lenses then no I do not have them on the reasoning being that there isnt much of an significant difference and that the e55 projectors i have on right now are only temporary until I put some TL projectors on.
I see,thank for reply man just want to know more about 04 Max,not really do much about it yet its wife's car have to get my first 06 se r (tsx with shield mod ) almost done then I may do some for Max but too cold to be out side
Old 12-15-2009, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by nalc
Who is this guy? DDM and TRS are pretty reputable sites, but still, to plug some sites on your first post is in bad taste.

What he's talking about is replacing the factory E55 lens with a clear lens, which will give a sharper, bluer cutoff. Some HID nuts like it, but it's up to you as to whether it's worth it. It won't really help actual road output that much, if at all, just makes the cutoff "pretty". They have comparison pics below. The correct lens for this would be a ZKW 3", not a Mazda3 3".

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/p...7401840b87265f

As for bulbs and ballasts, your best bet is OEM Philips bulbs. Brighter, run cooler, longer lasting and more reliable than aftermarket. For ballasts, aftermarket D2S is fine. Don't get that morimoto trash. There are ebay sellers with low-hours 85122 Philips D2S pair of bulbs for like $50.
hey, I said mazda 3 is 3'' call then check it out though they may have some for E55 ,Iam working on 2.5'' dont know much about 3'' still try to lead the guy a direction . HID nuts? do all that work try to get all the benefit as u could out of it check it out this is my fisrt

I should say 1 of my pro has better cutoff and more out put than 4 pros of some one ?. Just kidding it was camera effect and hey be cool i am new here not know why ( plug some sites on your first post is in bad taste) and thanks now i know ZKW 3" is work on E55

Last edited by huyhale1; 12-15-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:52 AM

You have to remove the bumper I removed mine for the first time Sunday it took me 2 hours. I did it to replace my 8K HID bulbs for 10K I should be able to remove it in a half hour next time
Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 AM

huyhale,

The reason E55 are popular is because they're very easy. HID 6th gens come with E55 projectors, and halogen 6th gens come with 9012 projectors. That means the E55s fit very well in the halogen housings, whereas TL and some others would require a bit more custom work to put in.

As for yours versus mine, there is no such thing as consistency in online pictures taken by different people in different places. Exposure time, camera settings, ambient light, and distance all play a huge role in this, and are completely different. I'd warrant a guess that you used a night-shooting mode or a long exposure time, being of how the sky is a little pink in the bottom left. Most of the shots I post here are at the lowest exposure possible on my camera, to intentionally make them darker so that you can see details of the beam pattern, not just a white blob. If you'd like to talk cutoffs any more, feel free to PM me or post another thread, I enjoy lighting discussion but I don't want to derail this thread from being about E55 retrofitting into a 6th gen.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 AM

hey, I said mazda 3 is 3'' call then check it out though they may have some for E55 ,Iam working on 2.5'' dont know much about 3'' still try to lead the guy a direction . HID nuts? do all that work try to get all the benefit as u could out of it check it out this is my fisrt

I should say 1 of my pro has better cutoff and more out put than 4 pros of some one ?. Just kidding it was camera effect and hey be cool i am new here not know why ( plug some sites on your first post is in bad taste) and thanks now i know ZKW 3" is work on E55
We are not trying to bash on you but the point of this thread is to assist a member in retro-fitting so that he can get a wider and more even spread compared to the crappy oem halogens. Honestly i really dont care about how much better of a cutoff you get from clear lens because the e55 projectors have a really good cutoff already and how often are you gonna drive in the direction of a perpendicular surface to notice such cutoff?

Your picture is not supporting your statement as you can see your car is parked on a slope compared to other pics on flat surfaces. Find some pictures using the exact same car with the same projector but different lens and on the same surface and then ill take your word for it. other than that i dont take your info as supporting.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 PM

We are not trying to bash on you but the point of this thread is to assist a member in retro-fitting so that he can get a wider and more even spread compared to the crappy oem halogens. Honestly i really dont care about how much better of a cutoff you get from clear lens because the e55 projectors have a really good cutoff already and how often are you gonna drive in the direction of a perpendicular surface to notice such cutoff?

Your picture is not supporting your statement as you can see your car is parked on a slope compared to other pics on flat surfaces. Find some pictures using the exact same car with the same projector but different lens and on the same surface and then ill take your word for it. other than that i dont take your info as supporting.
They had some in my link a few posts up. Not a major difference. Not noticeable unless it's parked facing a wall.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 AM

hid

Ryaliu
pics ? sorry i dont have the same like u asked, working on some diff set up ,and yes i try to support get him goes all out ,he may wants blue cutoff too ,well i guess diff taste uh , ok enough of this just wait and how he does ,hope he doesnt blame me for anything

Last edited by huyhale1; 12-17-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:52 AM

Can someone explain to me what the best way is to reach the back of my headlight compartment in order replace my bulbs to xenons? Its on a Maxima 2006
Obviously cant just pop the hood and reach in like some cars.. Anyone done this before?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Purple2theMax
Can someone explain to me what the best way is to reach the back of my headlight compartment in order replace my bulbs to xenons? Its on a Maxima 2006
Obviously cant just pop the hood and reach in like some cars.. Anyone done this before?
you must take the grill and bumper off to gain access
Old 07-10-2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by j23a45m9
you must take the grill and bumper off to gain access
is it not possible to reach them by removing the splash sheild from the front wheel well area? :s