6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

ANOTHER FIRST / HYBRID INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 PM
KC's FINEST

ANOTHER FIRST / HYBRID INTAKE

So after seeing all the hydro lock theads dealing with the Fujita I took it upon myself to avoid future troubles.

Here's a few pics...

I'll post more w/video once the rain stops and I get the car cleaned up.

Don't mind the NWP sticker, my R2C wouldn't stick so I filled the void with what I had.

This thing sounds great...

Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 PM
SmokinMaxSE

So you cut the Fujita? Looks like the RC2 with the Fujita logo.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:36 PM
KC's FINEST

Yeah, it's the F5.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM

nice kc. short ram jita ftw
Old 03-12-2010, 04:19 PM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by dstruc
nice kc. short ram jita ftw
Update your sig over here broseph.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Your engine bay is GORGEOUS!

Three questions (The answers may be obvious, I just want verification):

Does the heat shield sit flush w/ the top of the hood?

If so where did you get it?/Did you make it?

Does the air scoop feed into the head shield?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

That's beautiful and love the cleanliness of your engine bay. Unless I'm missing something, where are all these threads about hydro-lock from a Fujita or are you referring to people who had concerns about hydro-locking if they installed a Fujita? Big difference!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:29 AM

Looks good. Are you going to move the front part a little bit closer to the battery so that the hood scoop pipe goes right at the filter?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
That's beautiful and love the cleanliness of your engine bay. Unless I'm missing something, where are all these threads about hydro-lock from a Fujita or are you referring to people who had concerns about hydro-locking if they installed a Fujita? Big difference!!!
+1....by first do you mean cutting your F5?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:53 AM

i made one like a month ago. hydrolocked the **** out of it. had to cut my jita too. and i think another socal member hydrolocked his aswell. also had a jita.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:54 AM

More information on the braided hose used for the vent tube please. Where can I buy one. I like how the short ram fills the void
Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by dstruc
i made one like a month ago. hydrolocked the **** out of it. had to cut my jita too. and i think another socal member hydrolocked his aswell. also had a jita.
I had an Injen and Fujita for 4 years in Rainy Maryland with a RedLine Max front bumper. The reason I mention the front bumper is because the bottom protective plastic coving is removed because it doesn't fit anymore and I had zero Hydrolock issues. But then again I don't drive my car like a Submarine Commander either.

My point is the Mod KC made is beautiful on a highly respected car (The cleanliness of his engine bay makes me drool because I take equal pride on what many miss), But his intake is now a short ram. A short RAM and CAI draw air differently and can both be exposed to water differently and can have difference performance characteristics.

Again I have seen almost no threads on Maxima.org, 6thGenMaxima, NYCMaxima, VQPower, Nicoclub that many vehicles are hydolocking with a true CAI. The RISK is higher, but their have not been many to my knowledge actually Hydrlocking other then some saying I know a guy who's a friend of my cousins friend who's brother say his friend was talking about his cousins brothers friends car hydolocking!

Last edited by chernmax; 03-13-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gollum67
More information on the braided hose used for the vent tube please. Where can I buy one. I like how the short ram fills the void
Any major auto store chain carry hose braiding kits (Autozone, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, NAPA, etc.) or Goolge engine hose braiding online and wait for hundreds of hits to pop up!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:59 AM

looks awesome man nice work!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Old 03-13-2010, 03:24 PM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by nalc
Looks good. Are you going to move the front part a little bit closer to the battery so that the hood scoop pipe goes right at the filter?
With the angle of the pipe, filter and heat shield, this is where it has to sit. I spoke with R2C briefly about this and was told the stock air intake peice is basically garbage. It allowed very little if any air movement in their tests. I did however take a 2" hole saw and cut a portion out on that side that you really cant see in the pics. Here's the R2C installed pic: http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/u...0/IMG_0192.jpg

I got really lucky and made only one cut. Its hard to try and line up the filter while holding the big *** F5 over it and judging where to cut.

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
+1....by first do you mean cutting your F5?
I meant first to implement a heat shield to an F5 or any maxima CAI that im aware of. Dstruct actually cut his down while I was waiting on shipping. It was something I knew I wanted to try right when I saw the pics of the R2C. Shortly after I ordered it he unfortunatly hydrolocked his motor but was lucky and was able to avoid seriuos damage. After that I was set on making it work.

I had an Injen and Fujita for 4 years in Rainy Maryland with a RedLine Max front bumper. The reason I mention the front bumper is because the bottom protective plastic coving is removed because it doesn't fit anymore and I had zero Hydrolock issues. But then again I don't drive my car like a Submarine Commander either.

My point is the Mod KC made is beautiful on a highly respected car (The cleanliness of his engine bay makes me drool because I take equal pride on what many miss), But his intake is now a short ram. A short RAM and CAI draw air differently and can both be exposed to water differently and can have difference performance characteristics.

Again I have seen almost no threads on Maxima.org, 6thGenMaxima, NYCMaxima, VQPower, Nicoclub that many vehicles are hydolocking with a true CAI. The RISK is higher, but their have not been many to my knowledge actually Hydrlocking other then some saying I know a guy who's a friend of my cousins friend who's brother say his friend was talking about his cousins brothers friends car hydolocking!

Thanks for the props Chris...

I've read several threads where A34 maximas have succomed to hydrolock. Dstruct being the latest. If I remember right 90max, and a few others just on NYC alone. Bottom line is, it's all about the owner. I wouldn't try driving through several inches of water (submarine style) either. Hell my car has only seen rain a handful of time in the 7 years Ive had it. I was more tired with the empty look under the hood ans saw an opprotunity to think outside the box like yourself.

I may be crazy, but I can really feel a low end pick up. Now if the rain would ever stop...

Last edited by KCMAXX; 03-13-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:09 PM

+1 on the low end