Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   wobbling sound underneath. Any ideas? (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/620853-wobbling-sound-underneath-any-ideas.html)

hmr1979 09-15-2010 07:53 PM

wobbling sound underneath. Any ideas?

I haven't come on the forum lately, and unfortunately I am coming on today to report yet another problem with my 6th gen. :(
I love this car, but I am honestly about ready to ditch it.
I am at 88 K and I am hearing a very ugly wobbling sound underneath. The entire front end shakes, like a really bad shimmy. The sound is like a wobbling sound, but it comes with heavy shake so I don't think it's simply something that is loose. I checked and made sure not any plastic splash guards were grinding on something....but nada.

I checked all tires, seems like they are fine. They don't have but 25K on them, if that. My initial thought was a flat or tire that's has an air bubble or what not....

It's dark so I will obviously turn it in to the mechanic tomorrow, but just wanted to chime in and ask what this could be.

Just a couple of months ago, the entire bearing assembly was shot on the right front side.

She is aggravating me, guys..

Terrentius 09-15-2010 08:28 PM

Be prepared that it might be your bearing assembly again, bro.

Good luck tomorrow.

hmr1979 09-15-2010 09:06 PM

gawd, r u serious.
The thing is this time, it's while the car is riding, at 70, it sounds like im riding in a 1K dollar car...its horrible.

The other bearing only had noise when I turned the wheel

oh well.....

damn

shabnyc 09-15-2010 09:34 PM

hmmmmm... well to me its sound like either it is comeing from ur splash gurd which is above ur wheels.. or 2 side engine plasite gurd,, could be bottom one too .. if not then please kindly look for ur strut spring sitter ( plastic+metal peace where ur spring seats at top side) .. as i notice they go bad due to water .. check before u spend money ... thats was it for me ...

IIvIIoNsTeR MaX 09-15-2010 09:40 PM

I think I can relate to this. In my case it is when I am going through the neighborhood or the driveway when I hear the wobbling/ dull clunk sound. It sounds very similar to a flat tire. But all is well there. For me it is just on the front left.
Please let me know what you find.

hmr1979 09-16-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by IIvIIoNsTeR MaX (Post 7736291)
I think I can relate to this. In my case it is when I am going through the neighborhood or the driveway when I hear the wobbling/ dull clunk sound. It sounds very similar to a flat tire. But all is well there. For me it is just on the front left.
Please let me know what you find.

Mine is actually a grinding noise, and it doesnt happen over bumps, it's when the wheels turn. So I am guessing it IS actually the wheel bearing hub assembly.

When I accelerate it seems to go out, but when I let foot off gas pedal, and the wheel is still rolling, it makes a very nasty noise, wobbling, griding, squeeking.

I just drove it to the shop. Nothing like 15 f-kin miles bumper to bumper while you're car is squeeking horribly. Cheers to the Nissan flagship. I will keep you guys posted on what it is.

1s1ckM4X 09-17-2010 08:33 AM

Has to be the bearing, mines getting fixed next week with the back motor/tranny mount. Then doing an alignment...n finally lowering it! :) good luck tho, hopefully it's only the bearing/hub assembly

1hawaii50 09-18-2010 07:14 PM

Make sure to check your CV axles too...Ascendant had a really bad shimmy at speed and it ended up that both of his axles need replaced.