Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   Need help with the mods 2005 Max (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/633456-need-help-mods-2005-max.html)

maximusman 05-17-2011 06:13 PM

Need help with the mods 2005 Max

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about modifying the Maxima for some time but the time has finally come to execute the plan. I need some help on finding the parts. I don't come one the forums as much. I need to know if is there a certain vendor that you guys go through to get after market parts?

This is what I need to begin
1. Cold air intake (which brand)
2. Springs only, I am thinking about dropping the front only since the rear looks fine. I need good quality springs so it doesn't look a bouncy ricer ride :)
3. Front strut bar
4. Rear strut bar or should I go with rear sway bar?

Please advise on different vendors that you guys have experience with. I would prefer to buy every thing from one vendor. Thank you

CXJ Performance 05-17-2011 06:39 PM

buy my block off plate. $20.00 shipped

SlvrPtrn 05-17-2011 07:15 PM

Best bet is to search the different things your looking for to get reviews. I've heard bad things about eibach springs, I know Megan racing makes a cheap set ($160 ish shipped is what I've found)
Good luck modding though I hope to see pics of the progress

maximusman 05-17-2011 07:37 PM

Does it come with the necessary hardware to install it and what is the approximate power gain with the plate? I am assuming 5hp or less in the mid and top range?

Originally Posted by coryxavier (Post 8051480)
buy my block off plate. $20.00 shipped

maximusman 05-17-2011 07:53 PM

Does any one have any experience with the springs on a 05? I don't want a stiff ride. Any one?

petex86 05-17-2011 08:20 PM

i have tein springs and the ride is not harsh at all. its still very comfortable with a nice drop

vmax 05-18-2011 03:44 AM

I have a 06 max which is same make-up as a 05.

1. Cold air intake (which brand) - I went with the Fujita. Get them off ebay.
2. Springs only, I am thinking about dropping the front only since the rear looks fine. I need good quality springs so it doesn't look a bouncy ricer ride :) - I went tein, and did all 4 wheels. The ride is nice, and rear doesn't even look like it went down at all. I've been riding on them for about a year now. Of all the mods I have, this is my favorite. I really hated the gap up front. Another one that can be found on ebay
3. Front strut bar - I went with the racing line front tower strut bar, and has been really happy with it. You will have to get that off the racingline performance site.
4. Rear strut bar or should I go with rear sway bar? The rears are only shocks. It really depends on how many miles you have on them, or is it time to replace them. Might as well do the front struts also if it is time.
As for the rear sway bar, I went with the progress performance sway bar. Got it off of ebay also. Very happy with this one also.

the macedonian 05-18-2011 05:32 AM

1. Cold air intake (which brand) - Fujita F5 - best one IMO
2. Springs only, I am thinking about dropping the front only since the rear looks fine. I need good quality springs so it doesn't look a bouncy ricer ride :) - I have the Progress/KYB combo, it will give you the most aggressive stance and ride.
3. Front strut bar - if you want an FSTB go with the racingline option - have it and love it
4. Rear strut bar or should I go with rear sway bar? - I have the Nismo S-Tune Sway bars (F&R) which have been modified to fit. I would also go with KCMAXX's RSB as well, from what I have heard great product - I'm going to order mine soon

DeusExMaxima 05-18-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by maximusman (Post 8051453)
Hi guys,

I have been thinking about modifying the Maxima for some time but the time has finally come to execute the plan. I need some help on finding the parts. I don't come one the forums as much. I need to know if is there a certain vendor that you guys go through to get after market parts?

1. Cold air intake (which brand)
2. Springs only, I am thinking about dropping the front only since the rear looks fine. I need good quality springs so it doesn't look a bouncy ricer ride :)
3. Front strut bar
4. Rear strut bar or should I go with rear sway bar?

Please advise on different vendors that you guys have experience with. I would prefer to buy every thing from one vendor. Thank you

1. Without an ECU reflash and dyno tune, Im not sure you are going to get much more performance since the OBD 2 ECU compensates for modifications. The CAI is really more for sound and possibly a few ponies.
2. My car was the test bed for Progress springs and I still have my original set installed. They were designed to have an even wheel gap and provide a comfortable ride.
3. FSB - Raceingline is a good one and I have one installed.
4. I know that KCMax has a rear brace. A rear sway bar is very effective but a rear brace helps too. I have a front sway bar from an Altima SER and that flattens the handling in the front. Its available from the dealer for about $100 but installation is a bit of a b*tch.

officerfrasher 05-18-2011 09:25 AM

1. Cold air intake (which brand) - I went with Nismo, love it. Got it on eBay for $250 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUINE-NISMO-NISSAN-MAXIMA-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-2005-2008-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c55a233a6QQitemZ19041 5254438QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

2. Springs only, I am thinking about dropping the front only since the rear looks fine. I need good quality springs so it doesn't look a bouncy ricer ride :) - I went with Tein S-Tech springs. They lower about 1/2" in the rear and 1 1/2" in the front. I bought mine used from another org member. Just keep your eyes open in the Classifieds section.

3. Front strut bar - I went with the Racingline bar and have no issues http://racinglineperformance.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5&idcategory=25 They're currently on backorder but I think I've heard they'll be in in a few weeks.

4. Rear strut bar or should I go with rear sway bar? I went with the rear strut brace from KCMAXX on this http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generation-classifieds-2004-2008/620424-04-08-rear-strut-brace.html I can feel a difference and KCMAXX is a good guy to deal with.

Icons04SilverMax 05-18-2011 10:35 AM

CAI are just car bling, kind of useless on the max. Drop a K&N filter instead if you want that extra grunt and use the rest on a mod that will you will actually benefit from. If I remember correctly there was a thread about the Altima SER sway bars. It turns out that the Maxima SE has already has an Altima SER rear sway bar (clone). So it you want a sway bar buy only the front one along with a racingline FSB and you should be good. Some lowering springs and maybe throw on some racingline F/R endlinks and you should be cornering like a champ..

maximusman 05-18-2011 06:58 PM

Wow, I just read all of your reply's. Now I just need to order the parts over the weekend. Thank you for all your input. Helped me a lot with the decision making :)

blaxima06 05-18-2011 09:20 PM

1) Everyone has different opinions about this, I have a jita cai, but going to switch to either R2C or Takeda cai, just to see if there's a difference.

2) Progress springs and depending how many miles you have on your car, you probably want to change your struts & shocks too.

3) Racingline FSTB

4) You want to get both Progress & KCMaxx RSB: http://my6thgen.org/showthread.php?t=1120

twentyeggs 05-18-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Icons04SilverMax (Post 8052118)
CAI are just car bling, kind of useless on the max. Drop a K&N filter instead if you want that extra grunt and use the rest on a mod that will you will actually benefit from. If I remember correctly there was a thread about the Altima SER sway bars. It turns out that the Maxima SE has already has an Altima SER rear sway bar (clone). So it you want a sway bar buy only the front one along with a racingline FSB and you should be good. Some lowering springs and maybe throw on some racingline F/R endlinks and you should be cornering like a champ..

WRONG.. ill pay for your CAI if you put one on and can't feel a difference between that and your KNN. if you don't believe me, how about looking up a few dyno sheets on various cars. its just one search away. its a fact. not up for debate. if it was bling tell me why you lose low end torque, and tell me why people consistently get better gas mileage, and tell me why on every dyno sheet there is around 10hp increase in top end, i've seen a few mustangs gain 15-20 at my shop

Originally Posted by blaxima06 (Post 8052870)
1) Everyone has different opinions about this, I have a jita cai, but going to switch to either R2C or Takeda cai, just to see if there's a difference.

dude, no..... a cai is a cai. switching brands is a waste of money. just stop and think about how they work. as long as the piping diameter is over 3" (and they all are) the only difference between brands is the filter. and all the name brands have maxed out the technology available in filtering with the most efficiency, anything more breathable than what all the name brands have and you will be letting fine particles through. you may gain maybe a 3/4 HP between top name brands like the one you have and the one you want. this is the best case scenario. don't waste your money use that brain of yours before opening your wallet.

blackmax6thgen 05-25-2011 02:48 PM

fujita cold air intake has a lot of good reviews and its about $230 shipped on ebay theres a lot of lowering spring brands such as tein s.tech or progress it really depends on how low u want to drop ur ride as different brands offer different lowering rates....