Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   PlasticDip with Gloss Finish Grill Till i get my EG-Grill (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/634322-plasticdip-gloss-finish-grill-till-i-get-my-eg-grill.html)

MaxPrime 06-04-2011 05:48 PM

PlasticDip with Gloss Finish Grill Till i get my EG-Grill

Ok well i had the same issue must people have with the pilling grill , well i seen a thread about plasticdip and i said let me try it but just to my grill ,

Here is how it look before the PD

http://i56.tinypic.com/30uy06p.jpg

And here is how it look after before i add it the grill to the car

http://i54.tinypic.com/5195dv.jpg

Here it go on the car not Bad , Better than pilling grill that's for sure.

http://i51.tinypic.com/jjv0nk.jpg

This picture was taking with a different phone sucks that phone lol.
http://i52.tinypic.com/24y77md.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ryt36u.jpg

Have a nice day.

sg1214 06-04-2011 06:02 PM

looks real good, big imporvement.

iMaxSE 06-04-2011 06:08 PM

Looks good bro.....

aarong0921 06-04-2011 07:36 PM

Definitely looks better. I cant stand the stock grill - too much chrome & too big= gaudy!!!

Kryogen 06-04-2011 07:39 PM

Ima plastidip my whole ****ing car now.

MaxPrime 06-04-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kryogen (Post 8070445)
Ima plastidip my whole ****ing car now.

No dont lol it will pill off , for the grill is a good thing but the car NO :p remember at the end of the day this is plastic lol it will come off thast why when i buy my new grill i will sell this one to who ever want it since i add it a gloss to it.

6.5affiliate 06-04-2011 09:06 PM

Looks GOOD! I think your the first one I've seen that put clear over the plasti-dip. It's a GIGANTIC improvement from what you had.

twentyeggs 06-04-2011 10:10 PM

nice job bro.

did you use the PlastiDip brand clear coat or did you use a different clear coat?

RAZ76 06-04-2011 10:34 PM

I see a lot of orange peel, doesn't look done. You need to color sand it and then it will look good. Right now it just crappy because of the orange peel. Othe rthen that good job.

VQ'rInWLA 06-04-2011 10:46 PM

Cosigned. Whatd you use to gloss it out?

twentyeggs 06-05-2011 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76 (Post 8070554)
I see a lot of orange peel, doesn't look done. You need to color sand it and then it will look good. Right now it just crappy because of the orange peel. Othe rthen that good job.

:facepalm: color sand plastidip?? :facepalm:

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs (Post 8070540)
nice job bro.

did you use the PlastiDip brand clear coat or did you use a different clear coat?

No i use a different brand gloss is not removable, the reason i did it like that because i am going to change the grill eventually so i want it to protect the PD, i will take a picture of the can and post it when i get it from my car.

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76 (Post 8070554)

I dont see orange anywhere on that grill but thanks for stoping by.

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs (Post 8070607)

LMFAO!!!!!

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA (Post 8070556)
Cosigned. Whatd you use to gloss it out?

I will post the can of it in a lil while forgot the brand of it, but i will post a picture later.

05blkmax 06-05-2011 06:22 AM

Plasticdip grill

I like it. Way better than what it was. How did you do it? Did you use a paint brush since it comes in a small can? I've use this stuff in the past but all I did was dip the handle of my tools in the can.:cool:

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by 05blkmax (Post 8070669)
I like it. Way better than what it was. How did you do it? Did you use a paint brush since it comes in a small can? I've use this stuff in the past but all I did was dip the handle of my tools in the can.:cool:

No I use the spray form or PD easy not the one you use in the past it looks just like a spray can black top on it.

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 09:26 AM

Here is the CLEAR GLOSS i use on top of the PlasticDip , note that this is not plastic gloss so is not removable, i know it may be different kind of CLEAR GLOSS but this one is very good and it dry fast on top of metal but on top of the PlasticDip you may want to leave there for longer time to insure best results.

CLARE GLOSS THAT I PUT ON TOP OF THE PLASTICDIP FOR THOSE WHO ASK OR WANT TO KNOW.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2m3plvr.jpg

Weapon_Q 06-05-2011 09:59 AM

Good job

RAZ76 06-05-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs (Post 8070607)

Yeah Mr Rice out the Maxima. You and Bigg daddy should get a club started. If you don't know who that is, I'll hook you up with some pics.

RAZ76 06-05-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dafedexman (Post 8070663)

It's ok, not everyone has the eye for it. Don't like opinions and facts, don't post, simple.

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76 (Post 8070820)
It's ok, not everyone has the eye for it. Don't like opinions and facts, don't post, simple.

I didnt say i didnt want your opining what i said is that i dont see it and thank you for stoping by, i dont see nothing wrong with that , and again thanks.

VQ'rInWLA 06-05-2011 12:53 PM

Plastidip on its own is very durable against the elements and debris. The clear coat may have weakened its durability.

twentyeggs 06-05-2011 01:12 PM

we shall see, let us know if you run into any problems with the plastidip and clear combo. you are one of the few who has tried it so props

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA (Post 8070911)
Plastidip on its own is very durable against the elements and debris. The clear coat may have weakened its durability.

Well i am not going to have it that long but is much stronger with the clear gloss very strong feels like real paint but who knows only time will tell.

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs (Post 8070924)
we shall see, let us know if you run into any problems with the plastidip and clear combo. you are one of the few who has tried it so props

Yeah i will for sure if anything happen to it i will take pictures and post them on here , i took the car to the wash today and the water didn't even stick to the grill , much better with clear gloss but like you said only time will tell.

6.5affiliate 06-05-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dafedexman (Post 8070663)

That's not what he means. "Orange peel" is just a term that refers to the ripple effect on the paint itself after you paint it and let it dry. If you look at it long enough than it resembles an orange peel. A lot of paint job has orange peel once it's finished and your lucky if you can avoid it. It depends on a LOT of factors that I'm not going to go into.

It's the reason why most people like to color sand and buff after they finish paint. ESPECIALLY body shops like Maaco and businesses of that nature. Which is expected of them since car finishes should have the mirror effect when the paint job is done.

If you want a mirror type finish. Than you would have to color sand it and buff it out. It's pretty easy if you want to do it though:

1. Use a 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and put it in some water and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
2. Then use very light pressure and sand everything down.

*If you use to much pressure than you'll be going through the clear coat and you will have to re-do the clear coat. Which means you have to sand it all off and put another coat of paint (or in your case, plasti-dip) then clear coat it all over again*

3. Follow it with 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

*By this time the paint should be smooth but it looks dull. Don't worry, you didn't mess up the paint *

4. Afterwards, use some good rubbing compound and polishing compound
5. Finish it by buffing it with glaze and polish

*These last two steps will bring back the color and gloss*

Not saying that you have to do it since it already looks good but, if you want it have a mirror like finish than these are the steps that you have to go through to get that.

twentyeggs 06-05-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate (Post 8071054)
That's not what he means. "Orange peel" is just a term that refers to the ripple effect on the paint itself after you paint it and let it dry. If you look at it long enough than it resembles an orange peel. A lot of paint job has orange peel once it's finished and your lucky if you can avoid it. It depends on a LOT of factors that I'm not going to go into.

It's the reason why most people like to color sand and buff after they finish paint. ESPECIALLY body shops like Maaco and businesses of that nature. Which is expected of them since car finishes should have the mirror effect when the paint job is done.

If you want a mirror type finish. Than you would have to color sand it and buff it out. It's pretty easy if you want to do it though:

1. Use a 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and put it in some water and let it sit for a couple of minutes.

*If you use to much pressure than you'll be going through the clear coat and you will have to re-do the clear coat. Which means you have to sand it all off and put another coat of paint (or in your case, plasti-dip) then clear coat it all over again*

*By this time the paint should be smooth but it looks dull. Don't worry, you didn't mess up the paint *

Not saying that you have to do it since it already looks good but, if you want it have a mirror like finish than these are the steps that you have to go through to get that.

the orange peel you can BARELY see if you look up close on the grille is from the plastidip, not the clear. its just the nature of PD. the clear is what makes it noticeable. so i don't think doing a finish on the clear will do anything but make it shine more.

unless you lay perfect layers down for each coat plastidip will have orange peel to it. the flatness of PD hides it but with clear you can see it easier.

so while you did a great job explaining how to do the proper finish on regular paint, you wouldn't be able to correct the orange peel by color sanding the job he did on his grille like RAZmaTAZ thought he could do LOL. with the pliable nature of PD im sure putting any kind of stress on it would crack the more brittle clear coat. kind like side walks, the pliable earth will shift during an earthquake but the more brittle concrete will crack.

6.5affiliate 06-05-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs (Post 8071101)
the orange peel you can BARELY see if you look up close on the grille is from the plastidip, not the clear. its just the nature of PD. the clear is what makes it noticeable. so i don't think doing a finish on the clear will do anything but make it shine more.

unless you lay perfect layers down for each coat plastidip will have orange peel to it. the flatness of PD hides it but with clear you can see it easier.

so while you did a great job explaining how to do the proper finish on regular paint, you wouldn't be able to correct the orange peel by color sanding the job he did on his grille like RAZmaTAZ thought he could do LOL. with the pliable nature of PD im sure putting any kind of stress on it would crack the more brittle clear coat. kind like side walks, the pliable earth will shift during an earthquake but the more brittle concrete will crack.

Since he used Rustoleum clear coat than what I wrote will apply since it's paint that's over the Plasti-dip. Even though Plasti-dip has a textured appearance, the clear coat would actually fill in the gaps to make it appear smooth and enhance the color at the same time.

Wet-sanding would take out the orange peel that's on the clear coat itself, not the plasti-dip. It will still have a mirror-like finish to it.

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate (Post 8071054)

I get it now about the orange peel thanks for the explanation very helpful but is just for someone who want this for long term i think as i am just doing this till i get my brand new grill ,but i get it for sure thanks.

RAZ76 06-05-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs (Post 8071101)

Yes you can colorsand PD. I've been painting cars since you were probably in diapers. I did on my grill but there are tricks to do it correctly and doing it to the clear is not the way to do it. I could share the trick but you guys already know what the hell you are doing, don't need my advice.

6.5affiliate 06-05-2011 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dafedexman (Post 8071256)
I get it now about the orange peel thanks for the explanation very helpful but is just for someone who want this for long term i think as i am just doing this till i get my brand new grill ,but i get it for sure thanks.

No problem man, just trying to help out. Which EG grille you trying to get?

MaxPrime 06-05-2011 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate (Post 8071350)
No problem man, just trying to help out. Which EG grille you trying to get?

I am thinking of getting this one like the clean look of it

http://i55.tinypic.com/orl4dc.jpg

6.5affiliate 06-05-2011 10:20 PM

It's a nice grille. I've seen a couple that had that one their ride. If you like that one than you might wanna check out this one without the emblem:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...#ht_2342wt_754

There's also the street scene grille that doesn't have the chrome boarder and the piece of steel in the middle:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SS...7322/?rtype=10

MaxPrime 06-06-2011 05:23 AM

What you think with emblem or with out it ?? confuse not that you show me both of this.

6.5affiliate 06-06-2011 04:47 PM

Personally, I'm not really the fan of the emblem in the front. I like a real clean look and plus, you can modify the one without the emblem to not even have the bar that goes down the middle.

That's just me, what really matters is what you want for your ride. I just put up some options for you.

revvinMAXto11 06-06-2011 08:21 PM

you did a great job man. i like the combo of pd and clear. im interested to see if putting any pressure on the job will crack the clear.

to 6.5 i don't think sand and buffing would be a good idea, clear coat is very brittle and it will bend and crack under the elasticity of plastidip with any kind of pressure.

maybe if he put a thick coat on and was really careful

revvinMAXto11 06-06-2011 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by RAZ76 (Post 8071319)
Yes you can colorsand PD. I've been painting cars since you were probably in diapers. I did on my grill but there are tricks to do it correctly and doing it to the clear is not the way to do it. I could share the trick but you guys already know what the hell you are doing, don't need my advice.

sanding PlastiDip would make it look like ****!!! are you crazy? sanding will dull it out and make it look all scratched up and white!

6.5affiliate 06-06-2011 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by revvinMAXto11 (Post 8072586)
you did a great job man. i like the combo of pd and clear. im interested to see if putting any pressure on the job will crack the clear.

to 6.5 i don't think sand and buffing would be a good idea, clear coat is very brittle and it will bend and crack under the elasticity of plastidip with any kind of pressure.

maybe if he put a thick coat on and was really careful

True, true. You got a point with that one.

RAZ76 06-06-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by revvinMAXto11 (Post 8072591)
sanding PlastiDip would make it look like ****!!! are you crazy? sanding will dull it out and make it look all scratched up and white!

How long you been painting professionally??