6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

loss of power while accelarating

Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

loss of power while accelarating

Hi,
I have 2004 maxima SE 3.5 has loss of power, means when comes to stop sign, and drive it hesitate and bogs out ,loss of power, I have replaced spark plugs, fuel pump, mass air flow sensor ,but same thing happens, has a low on gas and low fuel light is on .I am going to put some gas in it, lets see what happens, but idle is okey, it does not have any check engine light on.
please any body has any idea.
thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 PM

if you're running on fumes and low on gas....ADD SOME!!!! And dont let it get below 1/4 of a tank! If you always run it really low, it's bad for the fuel pump and fuel filter, making their replacement necessary earlier. Might be a good idea to change your fuel filter NOW. You already replaced the fuel pump, did you change the filter as well?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Could be clogged Catalytic converters?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM

Can you accelerate all the way near redline? If so, then your cat is probably fine.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks
Fuel filter comes with fuel pump all one piece.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 AM

Scan and check to make sure there is no codes. I know you said there isn't any but it still wouldn't hurt to check. It could also me your coils.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 AM

hey guys. i been having the same problem for a longgggggg time and i could never figure it out. First i thought it was the valve body becuase it was slamming gears pretty hard from 2nd to 3rd and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd - 2nd to 1st. I replaced it with a brand new built from scratch vb from pat @ level 10 (btw great guy & service). The car seemed to shift a little better but i still had to lack of power upon acceleration. I just went to nissan to get all the timing chains and tensioners replaced. Made a pretty big difference with the noise i was hearing out of the engine, but once again still didnt solve my power issue. the car seems to hitting overdrive and my short ram intake seems to be hitting too early. I tried doing all the idle re learns and all the tricks and i still cannot get this figured out! what makes me more upset is the fact that i have a good amount of performance parts on the car that should be giving this car a HUGE amount of power to the wheels (full exhaust system with magnaflow dual mufflers, racingline Y-pipe, racingling hi flow precats, 255lph walbro fuel pump, short ram intake w/K&N, Jet MAF, NWP thermal intake and manifold spacers, ngk platnium plugs, D2 coils, V2 Endlinks front and rear, Se-R front swaybar, Progress rear swaybar, front strut bar, racingline traction rods, all new motor mounts w/inserts, B&G Tranny cooler, high stall torque converter,grounding kit) after i recently did a reset on the cpu when doing the idle re-learns my car now reads im gettin 15.7 mpg ( all highway to and from work :/) and its slowly still dropping. Ive put so much money already into this car that there's basically no turning back now. With all the money i put into it i could of just went and got a nice infiniti g37s, but thats neither here nor there at the moment. the biggest symtom ive noticed is once i get the car goin and my foot is steady on the pedal - if i have to slow down in stop and go traffic when i release the pedal the car seems like its really dropping too far down in gear and bogs during pick up when i push back down on the pedal. like the car is in limp mode but its really not. its like im getin too much momentum when the car actually gets in gear. i thought the car jumped teeth on the timing since i drove it for a while with the timing chains issue but the dealership said it didnt. idk what to do anymore with this car. im hoping someone can chime in on this and help. i really need it. it was mentioned to me it might be the throttle body or i might just need my ecu re-flashed for all the performance parts. Pat @ level 10 doubts its the transmission itself but somethings tells me it could be similar to cherns problem he had with his 3rd gear going on him....somebody help

btw i am always running 93 octane w/shell v-power...never below 1/4 tank

Last edited by Nismo_max04; 03-08-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Yes I had that same problem and eventually figured out it was my tranny.... They sell a shift kit that I heard fixes the problem we have with the junk granny trannys if you catch it before it damages anything else........but most DEF your trans! Goodluck boss!

Last edited by Jay66; 03-08-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jay66
Yes I had that same problem and eventually figured out it was my tranny.... They sell a shift kit that I heard fixes the problem we have with the junk granny trannys if you catch it before it damages anything else........but most DEF your trans! Goodluck boss!
Yeah the shift kit they sell is for the valve body. Its called the transgo shift kit. But instead of installing the kit I had level 10 give me a bran new one ($650) that already had the fix on it and I'm still having the issue. My car now is just about to hit 150k. I drove it with bad tensioners and the bad vb for a while, prob about 20k + so idk if by doing that I just completely ruined the transmission itself. I think I'm gonna take a ride out to level 10 and have them totally look at every component and let me know. I've been dealing with Pat for a while now and he says he would figure it all out. I just hope the car makes it there :/ it's about a 2 1/2hr ride...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo_max04
hey guys. i been having the same problem for a longgggggg time and i could never figure it out. First i thought it was the valve body becuase it was slamming gears pretty hard from 2nd to 3rd and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd - 2nd to 1st. I replaced it with a brand new built from scratch vb from pat @ level 10 (btw great guy & service). The car seemed to shift a little better but i still had to lack of power upon acceleration. I just went to nissan to get all the timing chains and tensioners replaced. Made a pretty big difference with the noise i was hearing out of the engine, but once again still didnt solve my power issue. the car seems to hitting overdrive and my short ram intake seems to be hitting too early. I tried doing all the idle re learns and all the tricks and i still cannot get this figured out! what makes me more upset is the fact that i have a good amount of performance parts on the car that should be giving this car a HUGE amount of power to the wheels (full exhaust system with magnaflow dual mufflers, racingline Y-pipe, racingling hi flow precats, 255lph walbro fuel pump, short ram intake w/K&N, Jet MAF, NWP thermal intake and manifold spacers, ngk platnium plugs, D2 coils, V2 Endlinks front and rear, Se-R front swaybar, Progress rear swaybar, front strut bar, racingline traction rods, all new motor mounts w/inserts, B&G Tranny cooler, high stall torque converter,grounding kit) after i recently did a reset on the cpu when doing the idle re-learns my car now reads im gettin 15.7 mpg ( all highway to and from work :/) and its slowly still dropping. Ive put so much money already into this car that there's basically no turning back now. With all the money i put into it i could of just went and got a nice infiniti g37s, but thats neither here nor there at the moment. the biggest symtom ive noticed is once i get the car goin and my foot is steady on the pedal - if i have to slow down in stop and go traffic when i release the pedal the car seems like its really dropping too far down in gear and bogs during pick up when i push back down on the pedal. like the car is in limp mode but its really not. its like im getin too much momentum when the car actually gets in gear. i thought the car jumped teeth on the timing since i drove it for a while with the timing chains issue but the dealership said it didnt. idk what to do anymore with this car. im hoping someone can chime in on this and help. i really need it. it was mentioned to me it might be the throttle body or i might just need my ecu re-flashed for all the performance parts. Pat @ level 10 doubts its the transmission itself but somethings tells me it could be similar to cherns problem he had with his 3rd gear going on him....somebody help

btw i am always running 93 octane w/shell v-power...never below 1/4 tank
If your gears are slamming, check your accumulators, one-way clutch, clutch packs, and thrust bearings inside the tranny. They are the ones responsible for the tranny's attitude.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM

I've ony seen real engines bogs for three reasons.. Fuel problems, (low level, too rich too lean) intake/vacumme problems, electrical problems (specifically mass airflow sensor) Check those things in that order.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:21 PM

Update: I was driving home from work this morning and i noticed slowing down at approx 40 mph my rpms drop all the way down to zero then shoot back up. really sux when im tryin to slow down from coming off the freeway...
Old 03-10-2012, 11:23 PM

quick question...if the transmission was really failing on me or my gears were that bad, would it throw me a cel?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 AM

That sounds really weird. I've had the loss of acceleration and check egine light come on but when it was moist and raining outside but when I switched off the car it started working for a couple of yards or so then cut off again. You might just have to get a code reader to save yourself from changing things that you shouldn't have too.