6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

***04-08 I'm new here, please HELP... ***

Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 PM
SuPeRmOd

***04-08 I'm new here, please HELP... ***

Everyone was new once. Some more experienced with auto maintenance than others...

1st off the other STICKYs provide a ton of info.
2nd SEARCH (unless it's down obviously)

But just in case you can't seem to find the solution to your particular issue please feel free to post here.

Okay, so regardless, your question is urgent and you need help NOW!!!!
Go ahead and ask away.

Please only respond if you have help. Rule infractions will not be tolerated. Please welcome our new members congenially.

Last edited by NismoMax80; 11-03-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by JonJacobJr
Problem #1:
I just purchased a 2004 Maxima. The owner left the country and hadn't turned the car on for a whole year and a half. I turned it on for the first time and the SES light came on. A friend of mine used a check computer device and was able to shut it off, but when I turn the car off and then back on, the SES lights comes back on. This all happened yesterday. Any advice?

Problem #2:
When I turned the car on yesterday morning, I heard a sound come from under the hood as if something popped. Then a cloud of white smoke started coming out of the pipes in the back of the car. Later on in the day, I noticed that the radiator coolant was leaking from the top left and right hand corners of the radiator. A friend of mine said to replace the radiator for about $200 bucks. And input?
example
Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by elijahthaone
I am researching the fitment for these rims on my 06 Maxima, I know they fit but am unsure about which lug nuts I will need. All my research tells me that 12 x 1.25 mag-standard will be the right fit but I've been searching the forums for 2 hours and have not found any clear answers. Anyone have this or similar setup that cant help a playa out?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New here as well and am not feeling great about my purchase

We have traded in a 2007 saturn ION and purchased a used 2007 Maxima SE. Well the story is long but somewhat entertaining considering that I almost went psycho on the used car sales manager. Here we go:
Saturday: found 2007 Maxima online, wife loved the car so we went and test drove it. I noticed that the Service Engine light was on. Asked what was going on with the vehicle and was told that it was minor and the shop knew about it, not to worry it would be fixed if we bought the car. So we proceeded to finance, got 6k trade in for the ION, basically paid off, and purchased the Maxima for $10,400. Most people drive home in the car they just purchased however; this Maxima needed to go into service to get the problems fixed as promised. We drive home in the trade in (Saturn) and are supposed to pickup the car on Monday 10/31/20011(Haloween). I call on Monday to find out what is wrong with the car and they tell me it has not ever been checked into the shop for service and they have no idea what is going on since they have not seen the vehicle. So we were lied to by the used car sales manager on Saturday when he told us they knew about the issues. At this point I am pissed, so I leave work early and drive to the dealer to talk with the used car manager. When I arrived I was told that my wife needed to come back in and find another car, that he was not going to sell us the 07 Maxima because it needed 13 hours worth of labor. At this point I am going insane with rage. I told the guys that the deal was done already and he had no choice but to sell us the car, and he was going to fix everything wrong with it. He rudely said no, sorry not my problem and walked away. I then proceeded to go next door to the new car sales and ask for the general manager, explained what I had gone through and he was shocked!. He went over to service and in 20 mins found out that the Maxima needs 2 catalytic converters, 2 motor mounts, and an AC hose. He said they would replace everything and we could pick up the car in a week. Now for my concerns going forward. This car has 113k miles on it, drives awesome and the wife loves the vehicle. What as the person shelling out the cash for future repairs should I expect going forward? Thanks for listening to my rant.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:03 AM

Hi. Does the plastic part of the key blade that goes into the fob has a transponder for the 08 Maxima ?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:57 AM
L36

Thanks for making this sticky. I felt like i was spamming up the whole forum with my questions.
Well, i was technically...

Anyway, im having a problem with the sunroof in my 04, when i press the button to open it it runs for a second then stops. To open it all the way, i gotta keep pressing the button...

Last edited by L36; 11-05-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:45 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by L36
Thanks for making this sticky. I felt like i was spamming up the whole forum with my questions.
Well, i was technically...

Anyway, im having a problem with the sunroof in my 04, when i press the button to open it it runs for a second then stops. To open it all the way, i gotta keep pressing the button...
Check the manual for the sunroof reset procedure.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 AM
L36

Since im swapping the engine and the transmission is out, what is the part # for the axle seals? I'm having a difficult time finding a diagram or even searching it on courtesy Nissan... Heard its a good idea to change em while the transmission is out...
Thanks.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:54 AM

I have a 2004 Maxima SL. Bought it last summer and have been trying to find one cargo net fastener that matches the others in the trunk. I've ordered 3 different fasteners from Nissan and none of them are the same as the ones installed. There are 4 fasteners on each side of the trunk. The cargo net, which have hooks, fastens on to them. The 7 installed are OE. The diffeerence is that the plastic shield that that protects the fastner swivels from side to side - 180 degrees. Every fastener Nissan has sent me has a half arc "shield" but they are molded in place. My Max was built in Mar of 03. ANy idea where to find it or what the part # is? Nissan lists these fasteners at $9.40 each - a ripoff. Any help would be appreciated in locating the right fastener.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
L36

An engine from an automatic 07 should go in my 04 no problem? Just slap the flywheel and the pilot bearing and im good to go?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 AM

Need help finding connectors or right harness end.

Can someone help me find the connectors for the fog light it is a B/2, the washer motor connector GR/2, the washer level switch GR/12, Horn B/1 and Refrigerant pressure sensor, or basically the end of the wire harness on the right side with these connectors on it.

Last edited by Robsfor25; 11-11-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Robsfor25
Hi. Does the plastic part of the key blade that goes into the fob has a transponder for the 08 Maxima ?
Can I get some help please.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:14 AM

[quote=Robsfor25;8265988]Can someone help me find the connectors for the fog light it is a B/2, the washer motor connector GR/2, the washer level switch GR/12, Horn B/1 and Refrigerant pressure sensor, or basically the end of the wire harness on the right side with these connectors on it
I would suspect the best place to find these items is from your local dealer, perhaps ebay motors or a salvage yard? I've had to get a few Nissan parts for one of my headlights and most of it I have to buy from the stealership.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:40 AM

^^^ They want to sell me the whole harness.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 AM

Need help removing the rear upper control arm. Anyone knows how to.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've searched everywhere for this, and can't find an answer...hope someone can help!

I have an 05 Maxima, auto...about a week and a half ago, I had the radiator replaced. About 2-3 days after I got my car back, I started hearing a strange sound when accelerating. It's not the rattle from the heat shield (that's already been taken care of!), but it's almost like a low hum/whine that get's louder as I accelerate, and as I slow down, it get's quieter. It's not very loud, but loud enough to freak me out a bit. It doesn't happen when idle and I slowly press the gas, it's only when in motion. Hopefully I gave enough info here that someone will know what it is and be able to help me get this taken care of....preferably for not too much $$! :-)
Old 11-28-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Robsfor25
Anyone?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 AM

I have 2000 Maxima and I have been 5th generation member for many years. There is a 2004 Maxima 6-speed which I am interested in purchasing. Can somebody point me what to look for before purchasing it? Are there known issues with 6th generation such as coils, radiator rust, IACV/ECU burning etc etc?

Thanks,
- Vikas
Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey guys!! was wondering which intake should i put on my maxima 2007 3.5SE V6??? got it 2 weeks ago and im so thrilled right now well thank u in advance guys!!

sorry for my english, im a french canadian!! lol
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 05. Other day I tried to start the car all power came on but a strange buzzing noise was coming from the dash and car wouldn't start. A few days later the car would actually try to start but wouldn't and still had buzzing sound. I eventually got it started for a minute but it revved up and down, gauges went crazy and it died now its back to just buzzing. I checked all the fuses and relays everything is good. Battery is good. What could be the problem? I need help ASAP! Thanks.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Also the "buzzing" sound is coming from the Ipdm.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Should I purchase??

Hi Everyone,

I'm entirely new here--both to the forum and to the world of Nissan! I had a 1999 Passat that I adored (bought used in '06 for $4400 with 135,000 miles on it), and it was hit by a deer on the interstate. It was totaled by the insurance, so now I have to find something that I enjoy driving as much as I did my Passat on a pretty limited budget. I'd go with Passat again, but the reliability issues--and the high costs of the maintenance on VW--make me want to look into other possibilities.

I'm looking for another used car (can't afford anything quality that's newer), and I've found a 2004 Maxima 3.5 SL that is absolutely beautiful. It has 121,000 miles on it, and from the Carfax report it appears that the transmission was never replaced. I understand that this generation has transmission problems (especially the '04), so I'm wondering if I should go with this car. Any thoughts or suggestions about what I might look for when I go to the dealership to check it out in person? This kind of scares me, considering the known issues, but I know that buying any used car--especially one with such high mileage--is a risk, so I just want to be prepared. I appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:44 PM
L36

Originally Posted by LaineyBear
Hi Everyone,

I'm entirely new here--both to the forum and to the world of Nissan! I had a 1999 Passat that I adored (bought used in '06 for $4400 with 135,000 miles on it), and it was hit by a deer on the interstate. It was totaled by the insurance, so now I have to find something that I enjoy driving as much as I did my Passat on a pretty limited budget. I'd go with Passat again, but the reliability issues--and the high costs of the maintenance on VW--make me want to look into other possibilities.

I'm looking for another used car (can't afford anything quality that's newer), and I've found a 2004 Maxima 3.5 SL that is absolutely beautiful. It has 121,000 miles on it, and from the Carfax report it appears that the transmission was never replaced. I understand that this generation has transmission problems (especially the '04), so I'm wondering if I should go with this car. Any thoughts or suggestions about what I might look for when I go to the dealership to check it out in person? This kind of scares me, considering the known issues, but I know that buying any used car--especially one with such high mileage--is a risk, so I just want to be prepared. I appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks!
Some 04 maximas had the 4 speed transmissions. IF its a 4 speed auto, you're safe because they're pretty reliable as long you keep up with flushes.

The 5 speed auto you should avoid like the plague.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello,
Can someone tell me how the back speakers (package tray) in a 2008 is removed? I removed the plastic panel under the speakers in the trunk and seen the bottom of the speakers, but they were screwed in from the top onto a metal plate. Unless you really have to remove the whole metal plate, it would seem the "grates" covering the front of the speakers inside the car would pop off, but I didn't want to break them while trying to pry them off if I'm wrong.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by sevenel
Hello,
Can someone tell me how the back speakers (package tray) in a 2008 is removed? I removed the plastic panel under the speakers in the trunk and seen the bottom of the speakers, but they were screwed in from the top onto a metal plate. Unless you really have to remove the whole metal plate, it would seem the "grates" covering the front of the speakers inside the car would pop off, but I didn't want to break them while trying to pry them off if I'm wrong.

Thanks!
Been like four years since i had mine out but i think i remember.

Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery first because you are going to be working around some parts to the side curtain air bags. Its a 10mm wrench. Don't worry, you are just going to uncover them. Remove the sail panels on either side of the back window. They are just held in by a few clips. Grab and pull. Now you can remove the rear dash cover. It too is held in just by clips. Start in the center by the back seat pulling up and work your way to the sides then start working back. Pull and the clips release. To get the screws out that hold the speakers down you will need a stubby philips screw driver.

If the rear dash is in your way after you get it removed and you do not want to remove the seat belt tensioner, then pull them all the way out and cinch a zip tie down on them. It will keep them from retracting and allow you to place it right behind the front seats.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply. I actually got my fluids changed at the dealership and asked the mechanic there just to make sure I wasn't crazy and yeah, you're right, the rear dash comes off all the way. How come it couldn't be as easy as popping off the grill, I mean really??
Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 PM

Hello
I recently purchased an 04 maxima and when I got It it seemed fine checked radiator after I saw temp rise and saw it was milky.. Then checked the tranny and no fluid.. I noticed it was jumping over to the radiator so I replaced it cause it's common when one breaks but it continued.. Now I swapped the tranny cooler.. Does anyone have any idea if it could be something else??
Old 12-18-2011, 12:04 PM

2004 nissan maxima leaking oil really bad need a little help!!?

my maxima is leaking oil really bad like 3 quarts a week its leaking from around the oil pan but i got my mechanic to changed the oil pan gasket,the valve cover gaskets and oil presser switch but i still got a leak so what i want to know is what are some other places around that area that can cause leaks?
Old 12-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi guys im new here and i have a question i have a 04 max with a vq35 and i want to know if i have to remove the engine to replace the oil pump?????????????????

im having the same problem with mine and i think is the oil filter housing

Last edited by NmexMAX; 12-20-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 AM

Yo, so I looked everywhere and there's only 1 other 05 maxima owner who has the same exact issue as I do with my steering wheel.. First of all my max has 96000 miles so its out of warranty by a long shot and don't really feel like dropping a large amount of money right now to fix it but just want to get an idea of whats Wrong or if there's any quick fixes. The tilt an telescope works great an there was a minor squeak for a couple days but went away and hasn't came back since. Now my problem is when I'm driving and I push on the steering wheel its as if it's loose and it goes up and down.. Like toward the windshield an back down. It has a little play like its loose and wondered if anyone has heard of this happening or has any input on my problem.. Any advice or repair costs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Originally Posted by Really?
We have traded in a 2007 saturn ION and purchased a used 2007 Maxima SE. Well the story is long but somewhat entertaining considering that I almost went psycho on the used car sales manager. Here we go:
Saturday: found 2007 Maxima online, wife loved the car so we went and test drove it. I noticed that the Service Engine light was on. Asked what was going on with the vehicle and was told that it was minor and the shop knew about it, not to worry it would be fixed if we bought the car. So we proceeded to finance, got 6k trade in for the ION, basically paid off, and purchased the Maxima for $10,400. Most people drive home in the car they just purchased however; this Maxima needed to go into service to get the problems fixed as promised. We drive home in the trade in (Saturn) and are supposed to pickup the car on Monday 10/31/20011(Haloween). I call on Monday to find out what is wrong with the car and they tell me it has not ever been checked into the shop for service and they have no idea what is going on since they have not seen the vehicle. So we were lied to by the used car sales manager on Saturday when he told us they knew about the issues. At this point I am pissed, so I leave work early and drive to the dealer to talk with the used car manager. When I arrived I was told that my wife needed to come back in and find another car, that he was not going to sell us the 07 Maxima because it needed 13 hours worth of labor. At this point I am going insane with rage. I told the guys that the deal was done already and he had no choice but to sell us the car, and he was going to fix everything wrong with it. He rudely said no, sorry not my problem and walked away. I then proceeded to go next door to the new car sales and ask for the general manager, explained what I had gone through and he was shocked!. He went over to service and in 20 mins found out that the Maxima needs 2 catalytic converters, 2 motor mounts, and an AC hose. He said they would replace everything and we could pick up the car in a week. Now for my concerns going forward. This car has 113k miles on it, drives awesome and the wife loves the vehicle. What as the person shelling out the cash for future repairs should I expect going forward? Thanks for listening to my rant.

Main concern should be your transmission, timing chain guides

Last edited by NmexMAX; 12-20-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So after a few months being on here, and browsing many, many, many pages and search, i still can not find a list of compatable tire sizes /alternatives to the stock 245/45/18's for my 2004 SE.

Anyone have recommendations to running a 16 or 17's for winters, i really dont want to have to spend 1400$ in canada for a set of tires new and another chunk in rims. Looking at used rims and tires, but would like to go for a cheaper solution since its going to be only used 3-4 months at a time.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

anybody know somethin about why a steering would shake?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Naf
Newbie - Just Registered

2005 maxima won't start.

Hi gentlemen, (and ladies)
I have a 2005 maxima that won't start for me. I'll give you the full background i guess...
shortly after i purchased it in early november it stalled out on me once and i couldnt get it started again.. i had it towed and the mechanic's best efforts said he thought it was likely the fuel pump. I passed on having him change it at the time as it was extremely intermittent. it stalled that once, then he had it idle for several hours and couldn't get it to stall out again... I drove the car problem free until last week (2 months). I actually had chalked that one up to bad gas.
Anyway.. here we are, i hoped in after work last thursday and it wouldn't start, fuel pump wouldn't prime. After pushing and pulling some wires on the IPDM and pump connector itself i did get it started, drove home, drove to the grocery store.. next morning nothing again.
This is where i am:
- fuse is good,
- fuel pump relay is good
- if i put a 12V supply directly to the pump pins it fires up immediately.
- i'm working on checking all the circuits involved
I have two questions..
1. anyone know where the "condenser-1" connecter is as my diagnostics procedeure is telling me to check it next..
2. What happens if the car is not reading my key properly? does the NVIS allow the starter to turn the engine over and just not supply fuel or what would i see if my key was not registering the NVIS correctly?

appreciate any help.
Naf.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

??? On wheels ???

What's going on guys!? I'm new and looking for some help on some wheels I looking to put on stock 04 Max. Car is all stock and looking to do some eibach springs up front pretty soon. I'm looking at putting on some Advanti Traktion 20x8.5 with a +40 up front and some 20x9.5 on the rear. The rears are +36 offset,and I hear these might not work...any feed back on this fitment would be appreciated. Hopefully I posted this on the right area,if I didn't I'm sorry.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Power Windows, Locks and Seat not working

Hello. Sorry for such a long post but I think it's important to give all the details.

I have an 07 SE with 45,000 miles on it. Love the car - even better than the 02 TL it replaced. Bought it new so I know it's been well maintained - never wrecked or in a flood. Anyway, about a month ago my power windows and locks started working intermittently using the switches on the door. Even the fob wouldn't lock and unlock the car sometimes. When they failed - they all failed (not just one door or window). The only other thing I noticed was that when the car was off - it seemed to work. But then when I started it - the windows/locks failed to work again.

So I went to the Nissan dealer who diagnosed a bad BCM. They replaced it and everything seemed fine when I picked it up. But as I pulled out of the dealer, I noticed the windows weren't working again.

I brought it back and they said the BCM connector wasn't pushed in tightly. So I got it back again and it seemed fine. Until that night when I left work - then I noticed the windows and locks weren't working again. BTW - the power seat is also not working. They told me they are all on the same circuit.

So I brought it back to the dealer again. They had it for 2 days. They called and said bad news - the main wiring harness is bad. That job would take approximately 15 hours of labor with a total cost of $2700 including the part (harness). They offered to give me back the $650 I paid for the BCM work since they said that wasn't the issue. I took it of course but told them I needed to wait on the harness replacement because of the high cost (which is true). I also plan to contact Nissan to see if they will chip in some of this cost if I go with the harness replacement.

BUT - my real question is: Does this harness failure diagnosis seem likely? A bad harness on such a new car?! The car is garage kept and I don't have any vermin either. Could this be something much more simple? Anyone have any ideas? Someone at another dealer (who didn't actually have my car in his shop) suggested on the phone that a bad ECM could be the culprit - and also said something about the ECM having an extended warranty from Nissan (not sure why) - but the dealer I actually used said the ECM doesn't have anything to do with the windows/locks. The only other thing I recall is the problem started shortly after the upper radiator hose was replaced (by the same dealer) because it was supposedly leaking. I don't see any connection there but thought I should include this info.

So even if it is the harness - can't they find the bad wire and repair it? Seems likely this is related to a short of some kind - but replacing the wiring harness seems like overkill for such a seemingly simple issue. Thank you.

Last edited by jdigeorgio; 01-13-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM

nice
Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

engine oil leak

Alright so I've heard of the oil cooler leak,the valve timing cover leaks,the valve cover leaks,the rear main seal leaks....I'm lost guys!!! I have this leak on my passenger side coming from area around the oil filter/crank pulley area. I have checked all the listed areas and even replaced the oil cooler seal,and still leaking. Has anyone had the crank seal leak on any of there 04max???
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by lalo89
anybody know somethin about why a steering would shake?
does it shake all the time or just when on the brakes?
all the time...it could be the tires
just on the brakes...probally the rotors
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM

since i have to have 15 post to start a thread, ill post here and hope someone could help, but doesnt seem like this thread gets a lot of it.

I have an 05 Altima SE-R that has an overheating issue and also makes a swashing sound under the passenger side dash(like air is in the hoses or something)
It over heats when its sitting at idle for a long period of time(normally after it warms up, it takes about 5 min), but when I drive the car above 30mph the temp goes down and is in normal operating range.
Yes both fans are on, I have replaced the fans with mishimotos, new radiator, new radiator cap, and new thermostat and still have not solved the problem. Could it be the water pump or is there something else that it maybe?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2008 Maxima and the center console charger does not work. Which fuse controls this outlet? Thanks for any help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ***04-08 I'm new here, please HELP... ***