6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

***04-08 I'm new here, please HELP... ***

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by maxii08
I recently purchased a 2008 maxima and took it on a road trip to NC, I noticed that once I hit 70+ MPH the car would jolt, almost like I suddenly pushed the gas. I also noticed that when it did that, the RPMs would jump up. It was very sporadic and I figured maybe it was because the cruise control was on. Once the cruise control was turned off, it still had the same issue.....any thoughts???
Sounds like your camshaft position sensor is going out. Happened to me. Same problems. What happens is the sensors get oil inside them, which they shouldn't, and they don't read the cam revolutions correctly and try to adjust the engine and transmission to catch up or slow down to be where it thinks it should be at. Very tricky and important sensors.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ak06max
Kind of a dilemma and sorry for the novel. I have been through hell this past month. This car has ran great till now. The dreaded timing chain tensioners and guides were just done. Had the Chain work and the spark plugs done at the same time 1965 out the door from reliable auto in Illinois. Picked the car up on Tuesday this week. When I hopped in it for the 1st time I came to notice that the car wouldn't accelarate correctly it almost felt as I was dragging a boat behind me. Mechanic drove it around and it died on him was able to get it restarted cleaned the throttle body then found out his machine couldn't relearn the idle. Was able to make it to nissan the shop payed for it good to go! Well thats what I thought driving that night did the same a real loud bang when I shifted into reverse and the car would barely move turned it off then on drove ok made it home. Decided maybe just a brain fart from having the battery disconnected for so long nope. Took it out maybe 5 miles going up to 45-50 mph car dies TCS off slip and SES light come on. Had it towed back to the shop replaced the Crank Sensor that what the code shows. Took it 100 plus miles the past couple days no lights but crazy paranoia that there is something just not right. I still feel as if there is something up with my RPMs the tach is as if it is really flimsy hard to describe. During downshifting it feels as if something is pulling and during acceleration it feel as if the RPMs arent matching what the amount of gas I am putting into it and sometime feel the same little jerk that caused my car to die before . This shop had fantastic reviews all over but now its got me thinking did they really know what they are doing. Any help my brain is fried. Thanks all

Does anyone know a good Nissan Mechanic around the area that could make sure this was installed correctly? Minus Nissan they would charge a ton. Batavia Illinois
Sounds like my experience when I replaced my trans the first time. I recommend that you get the other camshaft position sensor replaced. You can do that yourself, very easy to do. I also recommend looking at Chernmax's video on seafoaming the car. When is the last time you replaced your oil? If they just did the work to your Timing chain, they should have told you about the break in period and when you needed to change your oil. They have to use a gasket sealer for the cover that can sometimes get inside the engine itself and into the oil. You should do the seafoam and change your oil and other sensor and report back.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:13 AM

My alternator just went out. What is the best way to pull my Alternator in my 2005 Maxima?
Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by smokin5s
My alternator just went out. What is the best way to pull my Alternator in my 2005 Maxima?
Last I remember, I had to pull the radiator and unbolt the ac pump and push it aside, the belt will be the first to come off, hope this helps, however last time I did this was on my 98 Maxima, I now own a 2008, Maybe its the same or hopefully much easier now..

Anyone may correct me as they may have a better idea or I could be wrong on the newer models.

I do however remember replacing 4 back then. ya, I was none to happy, but, back then it was always an issue with them.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Looks like the radiator has to come out... I have dropped the compressor and I still can't get it out so I think you are right.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi I've looking on the forums to find the answer with no avail. Please help, there is the light squeaking sound, it comes and goes and when it does it squeaks at a very even tempo, like a beat almost. I saw on a couple posts that it might be tie rods or joint related but I checked for play on my front wheels where the sounds seems to be coming from, but no play? I though it could be brakes, but there is no excess heat or brake dust around the wheels and rotors after my drives which leads me to believe otherwise. Could someone direct me on where I should check next? Also at higher highway speeds, 70+, I feel a strong vibration in the steering that I don't recall getting before the squeaking occured.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM

Headlight Switch

My niece has a 2007 Maxima. The other night the lights would come sometimes both and other times just one. Now both will not work. Done some basic checks and I am leaning towards the headlight switch. Does anyone know the wiring at the switch so i can bypass it and see for sure if that is it? Thanks in advanced. More details. I mean no headlights work, no high and no low. The fogs do not work either. Checked fuses also.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by wilmetto
Hi I've looking on the forums to find the answer with no avail. Please help, there is the light squeaking sound, it comes and goes and when it does it squeaks at a very even tempo, like a beat almost. I saw on a couple posts that it might be tie rods or joint related but I checked for play on my front wheels where the sounds seems to be coming from, but no play? I though it could be brakes, but there is no excess heat or brake dust around the wheels and rotors after my drives which leads me to believe otherwise. Could someone direct me on where I should check next? Also at higher highway speeds, 70+, I feel a strong vibration in the steering that I don't recall getting before the squeaking occured.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sounds like a wheel bearing issue to me. If it is not a visible issue, than it must be internal. If it squeaks when you are excelerating and while driving, but not while braking, then it is more than likely the culprit. Good thing for you is they are fairly inexpensive and not that hard to replace. I replaced all 4 on my nissan pathfinder and it took me about 10 minutes each wheel once I had the tire off.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jason1979a
My niece has a 2007 Maxima. The other night the lights would come sometimes both and other times just one. Now both will not work. Done some basic checks and I am leaning towards the headlight switch. Does anyone know the wiring at the switch so i can bypass it and see for sure if that is it? Thanks in advanced. More details. I mean no headlights work, no high and no low. The fogs do not work either. Checked fuses also.
do your tail lights work? Has she recently put in a stereo? What has changed in the car? <---even small things like light bulbs? Sounds crazy, but it can be a list of things. I had this happen to me when I changed out my stereo. I followed the instructions with the stereo and ended up hooking the black ground wire of the head unit to the black wire harness wire. That is not a ground wire by the way. Everything worked fine for a while, then slowly things started happening that baffled me. I eventually took it into nissan and luckily there was a tech there who had seen the issue before and asked me what I changed before it all happened, and I felt like a complete idiot for not thinking about it and checking the wiring again. Turns out that ground for the aftermarket head unit needs to go to ground on the chassis. I kept blowing the same relay which was not even what I thought it would be. Fuses are one thing, don't forget to check the relays as well. There are also 3 fuse boxes, two under the hood and one at the left knee of the driver. Good luck hope this helped
Old 07-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply, how can I verify if it is the bearing before I go ahead and do this, also po8pimp did you use a bearing press?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi so I checked my bearings, jacked the car and checked for play by shaking at the 12 and 6 o clock positions and spun around the wheel for any abnormality, everything seemed fine. I noticed my rubber covering around the strut ripped while everything was jacked up and explains the occasionnal squeaking, but I can not find out why I am having the vibrations at high speeds. There is no play in my suspension and I got my tires balanced in the last 1000 miles and alignment semi recently. Any other possibilities? Any help is appreciated thanks!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply po8pimp. After I actually got my hands on the car and check some things, It was the headlight Ballast. Both went out at the same time after a dead battery. Apparently they don't like running on low voltage. I didn't do the the first checks, Her boyfriend and a friend did. So I was a little misinformed. Both Ballast had 12v power and ground. Tested the headlight bulbs from the ballast in my car. Ordered two off ebay and popped them in and the lights work great!!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i'm also having problems with my 2004 nissan maxima car shuts off while gaining speed and while parked. I tried replacing the cam shaft, crank shaft, and the ignition coil, I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO..
Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am new to the forum too i have an '07 se with the cvt tranny -- only have 43k miles on it-- just got mine back from the dealer-- had to have a new tranny put in-- they apparently can't repair these trannies only replace them-- i had your problems plus lost 5th and 6th gear before it was fixed-- nissan will cover the repair if you have less than 60k miles on yours--- Joe
Old 08-16-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by goldmax04
i'm also having problems with my 2004 nissan maxima car shuts off while gaining speed and while parked. I tried replacing the cam shaft, crank shaft, and the ignition coil, I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO..
Do you have a check engine light on?

If so what are the codes? If you don't know have them scanned and post them. I would say go to Oriley auto or Auto Zone, but you can't drive it. I recommend investing in a OBD2 scanner or have a friend check for you.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:38 AM

Hi!

The dome light switch, which controls if you want the dome lights to be on or off when you open the doors, in my 2005 Max SL just broke off. :-(

If possible, where do I just buy the switch itself? (Light grey/silver with white lettering)
Or do I have to change the whole console?

The tiny spring in the switch fell into the parking brake console (I can't get it out, don't know how to), otherwise I think I have the electronic parts that go with the switch.

I have no control over whether I can turn the dome lights on or off when the doors open.

Thanks in advance for help!

Last edited by FantaLady23; 09-05-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:28 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by FantaLady23
Hi!

The dome light switch, which controls if you want the dome lights to be on or off when you open the doors, in my 2005 Max SL just broke off. :-(

If possible, where do I just buy the switch itself? (Light grey/silver with white lettering)
Or do I have to change the whole console?

The tiny spring in the switch fell into the parking brake console (I can't get it out, don't know how to), otherwise I think I have the electronic parts that go with the switch.

I have no control over whether I can turn the dome lights on or off when the doors open.

Thanks in advance for help!
Seems like a common problem for our cars. My '05 has a faulty switch as well. Not actually broken yet, but the switch has a lot of "slack" in it and doesn't click into place anymore. Puzzling, because I never really used the switch; I always kept it in the off position. It was actually causing my 15a tail light fuse to blow as well ! Managed to slide it into the middle or door position and have just left it alone since then.

I was looking around for solutions and possible methods of repairing just the switch, but it seems like we have no other options but to buy the entire assembly. From what I've been reading, a used replacement costs around $100 . Not sure how much it costs brand new.

I've been checking ebay but so far have not been able to find one. If you have access to some junkyards in your country, you may be able to find one there.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

We drive home in the trade in (Saturn) and are supposed to pickup the car on Monday 10/31/20011(Haloween). I call on Monday to find out what is wrong with the car and they tell me it has not ever been checked into the shop for service and they have no idea what is going on since they have not seen the vehicle.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

04 Maxima Check Engine Light question

Hi, new to this board, thanks for reading. I am a lifetime Nissan driver, have had 3 altimas, 2 maximas, an Armada, Murano, and yes a Quest. I have kids:-0

My maxima has had a ton of maintenance issues including side wall cracking, complete clutch replacement, door handle actuator, Bose stereo CD wiring harness short, O2 sensors, blah blah blah. All told I have spent over $15k in maintenance on this vehicle. It has never had body work and looks brand new inside.

My current issues are as follows: 1) bad ball joint, 2) CE light is on, Cat Converter Bank 1, fix replace bank, and 3) smells of gasoline inside. Cost to repair ball join is ~$500, CC could be anywhere from$500-2500, and no idea on the gas smell issue. I have 121500 miles on it.

Do I fix, do I sell, do I wait and see. just looking for some other perspective. I want to be loyal to Nissan but this is not a lamborghini. I cant keep throwing good money after bad.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone else experience problems with the CD player?
Mine doesn't load or eject it just makes this little beeping noise,
what should I do?! Please help
Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 AM

You will be fine since Nissan made the CVT standard on 07-08 you have a low likelyhood of experiencing the common transmission trouble most of us have with 04 thru 06. My best advice if you have warranty and you haven't had your timing chain replaced yet i'd do it early for prevantitive.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 PM

I HAVE 05 NISSAN MAXIMA PARTING OUT CALL OR TEXT (904)571-8644 location: Jacksonville, FL 32277
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by lalo89
anybody know somethin about why a steering would shake?
might need to balance your tires

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 AM

If anybody here is experiencing a steering wheel vibration. Go to discount tire and go get a roadforce balance. The problem boils down to the tires. I had the same issue but when I upgraded to 22inch wheels 245/30 R22 the problem went away.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

06 maxima

Originally Posted by po8pimp
I think you have the right approach, however if it was me and owning a 5speed, and knowing what I know now, I would go straight to step 2. If you choose to do that, I recommend you go on a test drive with the person doing the work, so they can write down how the trans acts prior to the repair. Then make sure they do it right and everything is shifting proper afterward. Also make sure you let them know that some people have noticed springs in the valve body being stuck, and to check them while they are in there. If you look at my thread: http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html , you will see the items listed on what is needed to be purchased prior to. $350 for install is just a quote on the work, not on the materials used. There will be extra charges. If you bring your own fluid, you could save a significant amount of money. Good luck and post your experience and results in the thread I provided.
need help!! i've already change the transmission and the problem persist
what should i try next???
Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 AM

rim issue

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I found a paper tag with my spare which had the lug lock numbers to order a spare key. If you check under spare in trunk you may find the same with all the info you need
Old 10-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey all, just bought a 2005 SL from a private seller. No real problems so far, although they forgot to mention headlight and foglight were out on one side but no biggie.

What I'm more worried about is when I'm driving, the car sort of clunks into first gear. I first noticed it when braking (automatic tranny) but it also does it when I'm accelerating.

I've done a little research and I'm thinking it might be the valve body, solenoids, or some combination but tbh I'm not the most car savvy.

Any insight would be appreciated
Old 10-31-2013, 10:28 AM

Kaved That sound like a mount get that checked out right away.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

06 Maxima Starts Fine But Wont Go Into Drive

I recently purchased an '06 Maxima, auto, 3.0L about 75000 km's. I went to start it after work yesterday and the car would start and run fine but will not allow me to shift it into drive. A couple other things I noticed are as follows: headlights work, instrument panel lights work, electronic display screen does not work, interiror lights do not work, electronic seat adjusters do not work. It had done this one time previously so i pull the battery cable to do a hard reset and it worked fine after that. I would gladly get it towed to my mechanic however it is currently parked in an underground parkade. I have no issues paying someone to fix whatever the major issue is but in order for me to do that I have to at least get it into neutral. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:58 PM

^^ 3.0 '06?!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:01 PM

ummm what..... :P
Old 11-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

04 Maxima Head Lights

I have a 2004 Maxima with Halogen Lights, If I buy the entire xenon Head lights Assy will it plug in and work? If not has anyone wired one in? I know people hate the "HID Kits" because of the beam cutoff. I don't mind buying a used set of oem xenon lights, just want to make sure its relatively simple. Thanks for your help....noob
Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

seeing if this is going to work

test test test
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

07 Maxima acceleration problems

Please need help (this is going to be short becuase I just typed three pages and I think it deleted it all.)

I have a 2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5L that takes 15 second to accelerate to 0-60. From 0-40 it flattens out and stays at 7oooRPM until you let off the gas. When it reaches 7,000RPMs there is a grinding (like rocks in a fan).

I took it the dealership two techs drove it said there were no issues and that there were no computer indicators so I took them out with me driving. When it took 16 seconds and we still had not made it to 60mph they agreed something was wrong.

After looking it over again they said the exhaust tubes were clogged and needed replaced. Everything I found online says if the tubes are clogged there is a problem with something else.

Im scheduled to pick it up friday what I need to know is did the grinding cause problems somewhere else in the engine or transmission that they should be looking at also? It's got the 10 year/ 120,000 warranty so I want to make sure I get the whole problem resolved before the warranty is up.

Any help is greatly appreciated thank you very much.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:28 PM

lkenny that sound like the Cat Converter is going out on you brotha.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Chris Alexander could that be an ongoing issue. I think the car has had this issue since 2011 when I bought it just never noticed it. About 18 months ago I raced my buddy in his Delta 88 or Buick (Old crappy car) from a stop light. He beat me but never gave it much thought until I heard the grinding noise the other day. Also one morning I was leaving for work the car would not let me go past 70. Heard the same grinding noise.

Thanks again
Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM

I'm thinking it's either that or you need to change your spark plugs. When you raced that Delta 88 it probably looked like a boat on the water jumping up and down that man in there was bouncing everywhere.

Before you get it worked on go to Wal Mart and get some of this clean your fuel system out

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Oil-...32-oz/16777813

Either Cat is clogged
the sparks are bad
or something with the fuel have you used regular unleaded?

Name:  179699_140597826131992_1408077427_n1_zps9c04f019.jpg
Views: 2544
Size:  30.7 KB

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 01-14-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Chris

I had sears put new brakes and rotors on it. During that they recommended a $100 fuel treatment that I had them do.

I have used super unleaded ethanol, but mostly just unleaded. From hickville not a lot of premium gas stations around. Didn't tell the dealership at us it says premium recommended above the cap.

Should I always drive around until I find premium fuel or will regular work? They said they are replacing my exhaust tubes under warranty so no bill yet.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:55 PM

lkenny run it empty and go fill it up with premium and then you should get a difference. that's probably what's wrong with it because if you use below 93 you're gonna have performance issues. don't use middle grade either you'll get subpar performance the engine is made to run on premium.

When gas was 7 dollars a gallon out here in Texas I tried that middle grade 89 and my car was mad at me on the highway it did just what yours is doing.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima do it better

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
example
07 maxima fuel getting higher

Quick Reply: ***04-08 I'm new here, please HELP... ***