6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

***04-08 I'm new here, please HELP... ***

Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by mrnissan08
07 maxima fuel getting higher
Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

l bet when you bought it they didnt say it had all those problems

Originally Posted by Greedo82
I recently purchased an '06 Maxima, auto, 3.0L about 75000 km's. I went to start it after work yesterday and the car would start and run fine but will not allow me to shift it into drive. A couple other things I noticed are as follows: headlights work, instrument panel lights work, electronic display screen does not work, interiror lights do not work, electronic seat adjusters do not work. It had done this one time previously so i pull the battery cable to do a hard reset and it worked fine after that. I would gladly get it towed to my mechanic however it is currently parked in an underground parkade. I have no issues paying someone to fix whatever the major issue is but in order for me to do that I have to at least get it into neutral. Thanks for any help.
Take it back
Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by mrnissan08
Take it back
5 months later
Old 04-15-2014, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
5 months later
Old 05-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you disabled the slide switch hold the button on the close part till it no longer does anything and itl enable the slide switch again
Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Check the manual for the sunroof reset procedure.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 AM

clutch is suddenly stiff

My 2006 about to start with problems already.My new clutch has about 3,000 miles on it and has been running great. This morning i was getting off of the interstate and when i came to a stop and tried to put it in first the clutch was extremely hard to push. Then it also had a lot of trouble getting into first gear. Anyone else had any problems like this?

Last edited by Clean00'Max; 05-22-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Was just told all 3 cats need to be replaced. what are the best recommendations for them? after market alternatives? i've gotten some prices for them and need to know what else is needed like gaskets and/or flanges?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Edmdz1
Was just told all 3 cats need to be replaced. what are the best recommendations for them? after market alternatives? i've gotten some prices for them and need to know what else is needed like gaskets and/or flanges?
Do you have emissions requirements where your vehicle is registered?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2007 maxima

i have a 2007 maxima with over 73000 miles...im experiencing the car revving to 2 as soon as i press the gas...theres no pulling..the car still drives and pics up speed...but its as if the ctv or cvt lol isn't shifting or going forward...i dnt feel no shakes or no kind of movement that shows a bad tranny...its just the fact that it started doing this 2 weeks ago and hasn't stop..checked it out theres no light sign no codes from nissan and i changed the fluid...funny thing about it is that after driving for maybe literally 5 min..the car drives normal .. please give me some insight ..scared it would get worse and no one noes wat it is

Last edited by amack0824; 07-29-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Answer

Originally Posted by Bholt88
I have a 05. Other day I tried to start the car all power came on but a strange buzzing noise was coming from the dash and car wouldn't start. A few days later the car would actually try to start but wouldn't and still had buzzing sound. I eventually got it started for a minute but it revved up and down, gauges went crazy and it died now its back to just buzzing. I checked all the fuses and relays everything is good. Battery is good. What could be the problem? I need help ASAP! Thanks.

Sounds like the ECM (Computer) making some sort of beep code or something, it is behind the dash
Old 09-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by dennisg
I have a 2004 Maxima SL. Bought it last summer and have been trying to find one cargo net fastener that matches the others in the trunk. I've ordered 3 different fasteners from Nissan and none of them are the same as the ones installed. There are 4 fasteners on each side of the trunk. The cargo net, which have hooks, fastens on to them. The 7 installed are OE. The diffeerence is that the plastic shield that that protects the fastner swivels from side to side - 180 degrees. Every fastener Nissan has sent me has a half arc "shield" but they are molded in place. My Max was built in Mar of 03. ANy idea where to find it or what the part # is? Nissan lists these fasteners at $9.40 each - a ripoff. Any help would be appreciated in locating the right fastener.
Walmart has inexpensive cargo trunk nets that worked great in my 2007
Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM

help

Everyone was new once. Some more experienced with auto maintenance than others...

1st off the other STICKYs provide a ton of info.
2nd SEARCH (unless it's down obviously)

But just in case you can't seem to find the solution to your particular issue please feel free to post here.

Okay, so regardless, your question is urgent and you need help NOW!!!!
Go ahead and ask away.

Please only respond if you have help. Rule infractions will not be tolerated. Please welcome our new members congenially.

Yes this is James Costanza, I thought I posted a thread called spiral cable a few days ago, but I am not sure how to post, or the difference between a post and a thread. Then I read something about you have to respond to 15 questions before you can post so I am confused. If you can find my post or thread, it is listed somewhere, please help, please help me figure out how to post so I can receive help. I have a 2007 maxima. Thanks, it seems like there is a lot of help here.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2005 Max SE 141K mi - Issues?

Hello Maxowners,

I am new here, and I have read many pages looking for an answer---but here is the q.

A few days ago, I saw an impounded 2005 Max SE 6-spd in a tow yard with 141K mi. Looks v.clean, no leaks, no drips etc. There was some funny startup noise which I will have a mechanic look at.

My q: Are there standard issues I need to be looking for (timing belts, xmission, paint, sound, etc.) in this model year? The yard is asking for $6K which I think is high. What would be an approx decent price? Car is in Calif. (with out-of-state plates, MN). Any issue with passing smog inspection?

Thank you,
Vj
Old 03-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Sticky. I just bought my car yesterday. The dome lights are out, and I'm looking for some help on how to change them? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Weird light

Hi all,

New to the forum but not to Maxima's.
Had a 1997 A32 (356,000 K's) and now a 2006 ST-S (I'm in Australia) owned a Navara in between (big mistake).

Anyway my question is this.............. I have an orange light which is constantly on (with ignition) up where the front cabin lights are.
There is no mention of it in my owners manual.

Hope someone can help with an answer.

Thanks in advance
Pedro
Old 10-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Two things...

First, I apologize if these issues have been addressed already in this forum. I used the "find in page" tool to no avail.

So, first thing:
I'm having some power steering issues with my '05. It's got 111k on it. The pump is whining and it's leaking fairly quickly from SOMEWHERE. I can't find the leak in that cramped engine compartment. I was wondering if there was a particular part that went first in these situations? I'm not overly familiar with the system but based on the fact that it whines even when I top the fluid off, I feel like it's the pump and not the lines.

Next thing:
I'm interested in making a few performance upgrades here and there for now, and eventually making this car my toy, to include a possible AWD conversion and conversion to manual. But, I digress. The real question is: what are the first steps I should take for upgrades? I'm talking about parts that don't take too long and get the best output for the money.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello
I owned an 04 maxima but it got broken into and the thief stole all my central console system. Then I bought a new screen, cd, front panel everything and full wire harness online. go to mechanic and ask them to fix it for me.

after 2 weeks, they told me it's all fixed and charge me 2000 dollars. however, after driving for 2 days the battery drains every night. i have replaced a new battery but doesn't help.
what should I do? thank you
Old 01-17-2016, 01:43 PM

Hello all fellow Max owners!

I'm in need of 4 engine mounts for my 2005 Maxima SL, automatic.
Can you please point me to the best company online to buy them that won't break my bank?

I've been putting off getting the mounts due to financial problems and now my mechanics tell me I'm rubbing metal on metal.

I would appreciate any advice concerning this problem and any extra parts I might need to buy aside from the mounts. Part numbers would also be appreciated.

Performance isn't important, but new, good, long lasting mounts and parts are.

I just hope I didn't damage my tranny - a lot of jerking and problems with the automatic tranny shifting gears.

Thank you in advance for your help!

PS: I'm a newbie, please be nice. TY
Old 01-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by FantaLady23
Hello all fellow Max owners!

I'm in need of 4 engine mounts for my 2005 Maxima SL, automatic.
Can you please point me to the best company online to buy them that won't break my bank?

I've been putting off getting the mounts due to financial problems and now my mechanics tell me I'm rubbing metal on metal.

I would appreciate any advice concerning this problem and any extra parts I might need to buy aside from the mounts. Part numbers would also be appreciated.

Performance isn't important, but new, good, long lasting mounts and parts are.

I just hope I didn't damage my tranny - a lot of jerking and problems with the automatic tranny shifting gears.

Thank you in advance for your help!

PS: I'm a newbie, please be nice. TY
rockauto.com has probably the best prices you will get.

Going on right now until fed 15 is a 5% discount if you order via the internet. There is a 'HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT US?" box that you type code MMEJA3 into. If you phone the order in, you don't get the discount.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:10 PM

Thanks for a fast, helpful, informative response.

Originally Posted by DennisMik
rockauto.com has probably the best prices you will get.

Going on right now until fed 15 is a 5% discount if you order via the internet. There is a 'HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT US?" box that you type code MMEJA3 into. If you phone the order in, you don't get the discount.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rear deck speaker dry rotting

Hello and I hope I posted in the correct forum. I have a 2005 that I am trying to restore to a certain degree. Currently having it repainted (as factory job was horrible) and also having smaller detail stuff like rear speaker covers replaced. To have OEM replacements will cost me like $300....just for the speaker covers. I have searched everywhere (ebay, multiple forums, etc.). Going to check local import junkyard tomorrow. Are infiniti rear speaker covers interchangeable? Not sure what to do. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:00 PM

I would like to thank you, DennisMik. He pointed me in the right direction via pm and saved me a lot of money buying the engine mounts. I didn't get them installed yet due to family problems and then getting an appointment with my mechanics. But according to my mechanics their usual price for installation for engine monts is $40.00/mount, but said with my car it will be a little more(I'm estimating around $60/mount being the highest). Idk what to think of that. Are they taking advantage of me? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Please be nice, I'm new to this board. THANKS!

Last edited by FantaLady23; 03-05-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:21 PM

Can someone please provide me a link where I can buy
K-Matic transmission fluid at a decent price for mr 2005 Nissan Max SL? The stealership wants to charge me $22.57 a quart.

I believe I would need 5 quarts after it is drained. Correct? Thanks!

Please be nice, I'm new to this board. THANKS!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Something broke in the driver side door.

Hi all. I have an 04 Maxima and every time I close the door on the passenger side I hear something move on the bottom of the door. Something broke and fell to the bottom of the door. Is this a known problem and what might it be?

Also, my Maxima has the two narrow sun roofs that do not open. Anyway, there is rust forming around the glass on the outside. Is this a known problem? Has anyone done a repaint? How much was it? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by imaj
Hi all.

Also, my Maxima has the two narrow sun roofs that do not open. Anyway, there is rust forming around the glass on the outside. Is this a known problem? Has anyone done a repaint? How much was it? Thanks!
I fixed this myself using a moto tool with a 1/8" diamond coated bit. I started by putting painters tape just outside the rust line and another strip protecting the edge of the roof glass. I then ground away the bubbled paint and rust, then used rust converter paint to treat all the remaining rust, then covered with touch up paint. Not perfect but I don't see it when I approach the car and no-one else has commented on the repair to date so good enough.

Last edited by BCmaxima2; 09-20-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

gen 6 Maxima engine swap

I am new here and want to know if anyone can tell me if I can put a 2009 Quest 3.5 into a 2006 Maxima with 3.5 A/T? and what will need changed from the old engine
Old 02-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

same problem here new to this posting thing
Old 06-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking to increase the hp on my 08' SE. I've been recommended to start w/the intake and go from there. Any recommendations? I wanna up the hp to about 350 but I'm just a regular spirited driver.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sontakke
I have 2000 Maxima and I have been 5th generation member for many years. There is a 2004 Maxima 6-speed which I am interested in purchasing. Can somebody point me what to look for before purchasing it? Are there known issues with 6th generation such as coils, radiator rust, IACV/ECU burning etc etc?

Thanks,
- Vikas
had my 04 6 speed 3.5 max for a few months now and so far the only problems I've noticed have been a light oil consumption that the only thing I've been able to find in my research points to the catalytic converters having some weird recall that Nissan only recalled on one particular vehicle even though they put the same three catalytic converters on like 10 different models and pricing those out new from AutoZone they come up to about $1,000. sometimes when I hot rod it (which is fun because it does have some get up) I can smell the cat. And recently my window controls have been glitchy I'm about to post my own thread (or question or whatever it's called I'm kind of new to The Forums) on that.
Also a random cylinder misfire but I was able to track that down to a bad coil pack so I doubt that would be considered a common issue. other than that other stuff I absolutely love this car.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Intermittent front window switch & power door lock

This is my first time posting on a forum ever. I've had my 2004 Maxima 3.5 L 6 speed for a few months now and recently the passenger window stopped responding to the controls on either door. Fortunately a few hours later it started working but the next day it stopped again. I noticed the passenger door lock button doesn't work either. I don't know if it works when the window is working because I don't usually want to risk rolling it down; I'm worried it'll get stuck in the down position again.

Now my driver window working either!

I can still control the locks and rear windows from the driver switch.
I pulled the switch out and put dielectric jelly on it, all connection semed good. I'm wondering if I should just go buy a new Switch? Or could it be something to do with the alarm system? ECM? When I look it up on Direct Techs it tells me for the front windows to tag factory alarm arm and disarm wires which are at that very window switch.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, new here and don't even own a Maxima yet. I posted this in the 7th gen forum as well.....hope that's OK since it concerns both. Anyhow.....Later this week, I'll be test driving a '08 and a '09. I was hoping you guys could tell me what to watch and listen for as far as common problem areas and whether to lean towards the '08 or the '09, barring the obvious being one year newer. Looking for major common problems of course, but also wanting to know about small items that typically fail.
. Both cars have about 90k miles and the '08 is around $9k and the '09 is about $11k. Seem like a decent price for my area (Pittsburgh, PA), or should I continue to shop around?
. Any advice is appreciated! Once I buy one, I'll most likely become a regular here!
Johnny
Old 01-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What's up everyone I'm hearing some beeping noises under my hood when car gets shut off. I have never checked to hear anything until recently just wondering if this is normal or if I should show some concern. Car runs fine, and I can't hear where it's coming from. There is at least 2 or 3 beeping noises
Old 01-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 maxima ignition swap

Hi. I have a 2004 Maxima I lost my key and a friend had same car he was junking so I got his ignition w key and his ECU and replaced mine with his now my car turns over but doesn't start. Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2018, 10:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New with an 06 SE

Hello,
The SE is the latest car in my barn. Bought it to drive to work but have been impressed enough to get enthused. I looked at alot of cars this one had a great service records. great shape as well. Happy to be here.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No crank no start 07 Maxima automatic

I bought a used 07 maxima SE with 229k miles at low price. Car has no crank no start . Checked all fuses new battery starter checked out good. What I noticed is that the starter called I believe trigger wire that goes to the starter gets no power when try to turn the ignition. All i hear is a little click in the dash and the whole dash turns off when I turn the ignition switch. Any help would be appreciated. Only code I get is the p0000 code . Nothing else . Anti theft light blinks and once ignition switch is turned on the little Amber light turns off. So I'm only thinking the anti theft is not my issue. I am a new member and any help will be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails ***04-08 I'm new here, please HELP... ***-20180318_091913.jpg  

Last edited by Jgrijalva1; 03-18-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Infamous Timing Chain Tensioner Noise

I bought an '08 SL 3.5 back in February and within the last month or so it developed the whirring noise that happens when the timing chain tensioners wear down. From what my research has found, this is a design flaw and pretty much every Nissan with the VQ35 from that era suffered from it.

I'm the second owner, and as stated, the car is an '08. Unfortunately it has 166,xxx miles. What is the likelihood that i could still get Nissan to cover this repair?
Old 07-31-2018, 02:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Issue 2

example
if you heard a loud pop and white smoke usually means oil in the cylinder. Bent Valve. Head Gasket
Old 09-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gauges don't work and transmission

I did a motor swap and now my gauges and light cluster don't work and when you drive it it acts like it's in fifth gear consistently
Old 09-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Newish to the forums. Need info on diy pre cat replacement and timing a chain guide.

Created this account in 2013. I'm on my second Maxima now. the first was an 00' with the 3.0 that lasted 250k miles. Now I have an 08 with 168k. Did the radiator a few weeks ago, that was simple.

Its had a P0420 code so I just ordered a Bosal bank 1 pre cat. Same warranty as a Walker but came with gaskets.

my understanding is that I remove the windshield wipers, cowl, and metal bar under the cowl to get access to the top two bolts and disconnect o2 sensor, then under the car for the third bolt. Then the two bolts on the other end. It sounds simple in theory. How hard is it really? I've read about people accidentally breaking the bolts heads off and I dont want to deal with that.

also, how possible is it to replace the timing chain guide and main tensioners with the engine still in the vehicle? The car runs great, but I can hear the chain a little. It's a problem with almost every 3.5 of that generation, but will it eventually ruin the engine?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problems

While driving I felt a slight jerk. I look at the dash and nothing is working. Its says I have no gas but I just filled out up. It says I'm going 0 mph and rpms are at 0. It won't change gears. I get home and it won't start back up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ***04-08 I'm new here, please HELP... ***