6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New Nissan Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Nissan Owner

Hi there, I just recently bought an '05 Maxima SL 3.5, fully loaded. It came with high kms at 239,000 - for $5,000. The car has great power, feels like new, not sluggish at all. I'm wondering what I should be looking out for in terns of high mileage. I'm also looking to upgrade a few things. I can post pictures later on this weekend. Just wanting to do whatever I need to do to keep this car running well for a long time, even though it's already got 239, looking for any advise to extend the life of the vehicle ae well look out for any typical/common problems our cars might be known for. Thanks for accepting me into the group...
Old 06-17-2012, 02:57 PM
L36

Originally Posted by FRENCH FRY
Hi there, I just recently bought an '05 Maxima SL 3.5, fully loaded. It came with high kms at 239,000 - for $5,000. The car has great power, feels like new, not sluggish at all. I'm wondering what I should be looking out for in terns of high mileage. I'm also looking to upgrade a few things. I can post pictures later on this weekend. Just wanting to do whatever I need to do to keep this car running well for a long time, even though it's already got 239, looking for any advise to extend the life of the vehicle ae well look out for any typical/common problems our cars might be known for. Thanks for accepting me into the group...
For a VQ that isn't really high miles.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what's VQ?
Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 PM

If you have the 5 speed auto, change the tranny fluid first. Switch it out to Amsoil, and also the engine oil. The tranny fluid is incredibly easy to change...no filter, hardly have to even crawl under the car, as the drain bolt is right in front of the engine kind of behind the radiator! My '04 just today turned 50k, and shifts smooth as glass. I bought a 3 gal jug from Amsoil for around $80, and drained and filled the tranny twice, and still have almost 1/2 the jug. Oh, and be sure to use a Nissan oil filter, as they are the only one to have an internal startup valve made for these engines.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:31 PM

what's VQ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the advise i did do the engine/tranny change and WOW the engine oil was black pure black very thick and didnt look good as well heres another things the mech couldnt believe his eyes when he did the flush on the transmission it was so black that he couldnt even think there was any poer or life left in this car at all but turn out to be ok except 2nd gear is very soft as well said we needed to get a new right front axle shaft , new brakes and rotors as well a he mention that his son has a 2005 Nissan 350Z which isnt being used and hasnt been moved from the farm in almost 4 yrs and said he could try and fit this engine in our maxima as well rebuild our transmission for us doent seem right and i think this guy just wants money does anyone know if this motor from the 350z would fit in the maxima or is there another motor kinda like the 350z that is very sporty that i could be able to put in and bring this car back to life teh body is in very good condition no rust frame is tight no dent the interior is in like new condition is it possible to out a sporty type of engine in a 3.5 ltr maxima and trick it out confuse ppl lol would like to hear some different opions on some ideas since we do see alot of these sporty nissans in the auto auction after ppl get hit or what not on the body they sell these cars for cheap .
Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 AM

thanks for the advise i did do the engine/tranny change and WOW the engine oil was black pure black very thick and didnt look good as well heres another things the mech couldnt believe his eyes when he did the flush on the transmission it was so black that he couldnt even think there was any poer or life left in this car at all but turn out to be ok except 2nd gear is very soft as well said we needed to get a new right front axle shaft , new brakes and rotors as well a he mention that his son has a 2005 Nissan 350Z which isnt being used and hasnt been moved from the farm in almost 4 yrs and said he could try and fit this engine in our maxima as well rebuild our transmission for us doent seem right and i think this guy just wants money does anyone know if this motor from the 350z would fit in the maxima or is there another motor kinda like the 350z that is very sporty that i could be able to put in and bring this car back to life teh body is in very good condition no rust frame is tight no dent the interior is in like new condition is it possible to out a sporty type of engine in a 3.5 ltr maxima and trick it out confuse ppl lol would like to hear some different opions on some ideas since we do see alot of these sporty nissans in the auto auction after ppl get hit or what not on the body they sell these cars for cheap .
Waat?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 AM

If the car drives like new, why do any changes? Rebuilding the trans is north of $1000 (Valve body rebuilt), 240K KM is 150K miles, the motor is good for 300K with regular oil changes. Just checking the timing chain tensioners. Here is what I would do to the car:

1. Oil change. Go buy a can of seafoam, put 1/3 of it in the engine, drive the car for about 100 miles and get an oil change.
2. If you are savvy enough 1/3 Seafoam in the vacuum line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MA_ghUsuVE
3. 1/3 Seafoam in Gas tank
4. Multiple tranny oil changes with Amsoil. Not flush, oil change, 5 quarts at a time. Change oil, drive a couple hundred miles. Drain and refill. Do this 3 times.
5. Replace Radiator fluid, bleed the brakes.

The car will last you a long time.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by mitrals
If the car drives like new, why do any changes? Rebuilding the trans is north of $1000 (Valve body rebuilt), 240K KM is 150K miles, the motor is good for 300K with regular oil changes. Just checking the timing chain tensioners. Here is what I would do to the car:

1. Oil change. Go buy a can of seafoam, put 1/3 of it in the engine, drive the car for about 100 miles and get an oil change.
2. If you are savvy enough 1/3 Seafoam in the vacuum line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MA_ghUsuVE
3. 1/3 Seafoam in Gas tank
4. Multiple tranny oil changes with Amsoil. Not flush, oil change, 5 quarts at a time. Change oil, drive a couple hundred miles. Drain and refill. Do this 3 times.
5. Replace Radiator fluid, bleed the brakes.

The car will last you a long time.
Great advice for everyone here.