6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

HEADERS!!!! tell me what chu think

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM

HEADERS!!!! tell me what chu think

YO, its been a loooong *** time, i've been out of the modding game since i've been saving for my wedding, but im a married man and my budget has shifted back at my car.

I want headers. I have been snooping around all the options and everyone keeps telling me to screw cattman and go with some 3.5 altima equal length headers..

i understand there is only one principal to intakes/exhaust. resistance. If its made of metal, has no crimps and an even flow path what difference does it make to buy a name like cattman. seriously i'd like to hear the difference.

I was literally seconds away from ordering cattman headers and was pretty much already committed to it, but i got up to grab some water when my facebook page started lighting up with people telling me cattman is unreliable and has poor customer service.... oooookaaaay, so don't support him? I guess if that many people are talking about cattman like that then fine i wont, but what else is out there? not much.

So, Whats up with "equal length" altima headers? i like science, so if anyone knows then tell me.

a reliable buddy has used these himself and says i can't go wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M2-Stainless...ht_5005wt_1185

My main question is will this fit? I remember hearing something about the 5AT transmission getting in the way of exhaust set ups.. who can tell me if this is a good idea, and will it fit my 04 Max 5at

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM
oem ftw!

mrjasonlyrics recently did an altima header install, however he has a 6spd. IIRC, some people have used the altima headers in the auto 6th gens, but they required some modification to fit (can't remember exactly what needs to be modified). Hopefully more people who have done this will chime in. I'd be interested in doing this as well, as I have to change my precats anyway.

BTW, welcome back to the forums man, and congratulations on the wedding. I did notice that these boards had been a little quieter lately.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME
mrjasonlyrics recently did an altima header install, however he has a 6spd. IIRC, some people have used the altima headers in the auto 6th gens, but they required some modification to fit (can't remember exactly what needs to be modified). Hopefully more people who have done this will chime in. I'd be interested in doing this as well, as I have to change my precats anyway.

BTW, welcome back to the forums man, and congratulations on the wedding. I did notice that these boards had been a little quieter lately.
hahaha yup sure have...

this is exactly what im trying to find out, what modifications i need. I think the oil pan is the problem, and the modifications needed are for the y-pipe. If this is it then im cool, but if the mods need to happen on the headers itself, then i am looking at having a professional exhaust shop to do it instead of me. I just wanna know what im getting into before i get in it.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
hahaha yup sure have...

this is exactly what im trying to find out, what modifications i need. I think the oil pan is the problem, and the modifications needed are for the y-pipe. If this is it then im cool, but if the mods need to happen on the headers itself, then i am looking at having a professional exhaust shop to do it instead of me. I just wanna know what im getting into before i get in it.
Congrats man. Yes if you are looking for something within your budget the altima headers are your best bet. You'll have to modify your EGR valve into your altima headers if you don't want that air recirculating code. I'm not sure if the automatics is the exact same as the manual but the mechanic had to bend the y-pipe a little. You'll get a code for removing 3 cats for one performance one and that's all I can think about.

I really don't see any problem with it fitting unless you have a custom exhaust that would require some more fabrication, but other than that the altima headers are about $200-250 shipped to your door and it comes with all the gasket and bolts.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Good to see you back Drew.

Anyways, Im definitely in for enlightenment.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Congrats man. Yes if you are looking for something within your budget the altima headers are your best bet. You'll have to modify your EGR valve into your altima headers if you don't want that air recirculating code. I'm not sure if the automatics is the exact same as the manual but the mechanic had to bend the y-pipe a little. You'll get a code for removing 3 cats for one performance one and that's all I can think about.

I really don't see any problem with it fitting unless you have a custom exhaust that would require some more fabrication, but other than that the altima headers are about $200-250 shipped to your door and it comes with all the gasket and bolts.
With that price Im sure a Shop wont charge that much to fix whatever needs to be fixed, sure it will stay under 500....
Old 06-26-2012, 05:45 PM

The installation cost more than the headers man. I paid like $350 and that's because I was reffered to buy the Atima club. Other shops never done it before and charged $450 depending on how much work needs to be done
Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 PM
L36

You will never get an EGR code as long as the valve and temp sensor is plugged in.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:08 PM

let me know how it goes the cattman headers are like 650 or lest?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by L36
You will never get an EGR code as long as the valve and temp sensor is plugged in.
There is no "plug in" on the altima headers as I mentioned. So you'll either have to disable it like I did or customize it.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 AM

There is no "plug in" on the altima headers as I mentioned. So you'll either have to disable it like I did or customize it.
how did you go about disabling it? what would be involved in "customizing" it? i am a pretty decent welder, would i be able to cut out and tig a fitting bung in the piping?

i want to pass smog when all is said and done.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Isn't it better to eliminate the EGR valve anyways? i don't know how i feel about recycling spent gasses back into my engine. do you have to get a simulator to bypass diagnostics scans? anyone in socal able to recommend someone who has done this before?

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-27-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:04 AM

Isn't it better to eliminate the EGR valve anyways? i don't know how i feel about recycling spent gasses back into my engine. do you have to get a simulator to bypass diagnostics scans? anyone in socal able to recommend someone who has done this before?
You can fabricate the rear headers just like the stock one but it's not necessary because it won't harm your engine in anyway. My mechanic cut the EGR and welded it shut but there's the code. I doubt your car can pass emissions especially seeing that you removed all 3 catalytic converters, but that all depends on your state.

Make sure you do your research because there's no turning back. Everyone's engine is different and it will react different to no cats. Me on the other hand had to deal with polution,excessive smoke,fuel consumption, back fire, and drone. I made two thread on it. Check it out on my page
Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 AM
L36

What i said, just leave the valve assembly plugged in. The valve itself with the temp sensor.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:39 PM

how did you go about disabling it? what would be involved in "customizing" it? i am a pretty decent welder, would i be able to cut out and tig a fitting bung in the piping?

i want to pass smog when all is said and done.
Thats going to be tough to pass smog in Cali, I passed with 2 good precats and nothing in the main one, but with Headers might be a stretch, some say if you drive the car for like 20 miles and go and have a main cat you should Pass, but might be a Myth cause nobody has tried.....GL....
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Banned

20eggs,I clicked on your ebay link.man thats cheap.Is it just be or does that kit include a y pipe?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 PM

Photos plz
Old 06-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by lulz
20eggs,I clicked on your ebay link.man thats cheap.Is it just be or does that kit include a y pipe?
well it looks like it includes the y-pipe..

i know man, its cheap as dirt and its made from the same grade metal as most other headers. Its like an intake, it doesn't matter what brand makes it, as long as the tubing is equal length to the competitors and made from aluminum its exactly the same thing. I went from a 230 dollar intake to a 40 dollar one i made myself and there is literally NO DIFFERENCE!

Cattmans headers fit right up, but for 400 bucks i can deal with customizing these ebay ones. Hell, i can even pay a expensive exhaust shop to do it for me for less than it would be to buy the cattmans.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by lulz
Yes it includes the y pipe. I'm running a modified set of those on my 4th gen.

twentyeggs, they used to be cheaper. I bought mine for $130 shipped

Last edited by schmellyfart; 06-28-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Yes it includes the y pipe. I'm running a modified set of those on my 4th gen.

twentyeggs, they used to be cheaper. I bought mine for $130 shipped

wtf how DARE they!!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 AM

So whats the plan Drew?
Old 06-29-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
So whats the plan Drew?
well i got this guy who says he'll do it for 175, but so can i for free. Problem is i don't have my shop in SoCal so i can't customize the fitment past the oil pan. If you can set me up with a torch and welder i'd be in business. Or a place that can beat the 175.

I hate paying people to weld... after working as a metal fabricator and welder yourself, its becomes like paying someone to use a glue stick on your school project........

Also about the go-pro don't worry about it man, I'm just going to pay the 90 bucks to shoot me professionally. They will take a few pics and video the whole thing so its kind of a good deal. I'd still love to get that point of view shot with it but last time i went to LA it took me 6 hours total because of rush hour traffic... I am just not in any mood to deal with incompetent drivers right now.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-29-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:46 PM

well i got this guy who says he'll do it for 175, but so can i for free. Problem is i don't have my shop in SoCal so i can't customize the fitment past the oil pan. If you can set me up with a torch and welder i'd be in business. Or a place that can beat the 175.

I hate paying people to weld... its like paying someone to use a glue stick on your school project........
Thats pretty cheap if they are installing them also...under 400 total cost...
Old 06-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Thats pretty cheap if they are installing them also...under 400 total cost...
yeah it is cheap which is the only reason why im considering letting someone else do it.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:08 PM

Ive got a couple mandrel shops if need be.