6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2006 Nissan Maxima Problems Please Help

Old 07-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2006 Nissan Maxima Problems Please Help

As Im finding out that my problems with this car is common. I would have never brought this car. This is my second nissan maxima. Loved the last one. Now I'm currently experiencing revving of the engine at times that it honestly should not rev up to 5000 rpms. It's also has a lot of jerking and does not shift well either. No are no Automatic transmission light or check engine light on. Basically I'm trying to see what everyone else has done to have this fixed or any suggestions on what I should do?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like a tranny issue. But it's odd that your check engine light wouldn't be on if it was a tranny issue.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 PM

Are you talking to yourself?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Quarashigrl12
As Im finding out that my problems with this car is common. I would have never brought this car. This is my second nissan maxima. Loved the last one. Now I'm currently experiencing revving of the engine at times that it honestly should not rev up to 5000 rpms. It's also has a lot of jerking and does not shift well either. No are no Automatic transmission light or check engine light on. Basically I'm trying to see what everyone else has done to have this fixed or any suggestions on what I should do?
Not getting a check engine light does not necessarily mean that there are not any codes in your engine to pull. I recommend taking it to the dealer for a diagnostic and see what they tell you. They can pull the codes from your transmission that don't come from a normal OBD scanner. Once you find out what they say, then you can either deside to have them do the work, or come back and we can help you further. You issue sounds pretty similar to another guys on this forum. Read through here: http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html There is a lot of information in this section so sift through it and see if you can find your solution there. Also recommend going to Autozone or Orilley's and getting your engine scanned just in case there is a code not important enough to turn on your check engine that you can tell us. Codes all have priority and some come on and then go off over time. Some also get saved to memory. Hope this helps on where to start.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Valve body , welcome to the club .
Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Quarashigrl12
As Im finding out that my problems with this car is common. I would have never brought this car.
This is very common when people have issues with the car. Sad cause its a nice styled car, but engine and tranny issues are very common with this car...
Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Sounds like the transmission. Same thing happened to my '04 Maxima which was/is notorious for transmission problems. Had to have my trans completely rebuit! If you google it you will find out a lot about transmission problems with the '04-'06 Maxima.

Given the number of transmission complaints, i'm shocked there has never been any kind of recall because of this ... But then again, that may be due to it being a mechanical problem instead of a safety issue?? Hell, who knows!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am also experiencing this along with a rattle pinging sound (like dry lifters) when taking off after setting a awhile ,mostly when its heating up out side..... stopped at a red lite ,lite turned green gave it gas .... it went ape reved up pass 5000 rpms jerked into gear so hard i thought some one had rearended me please help don't want to get rid of my babygirl
Old 08-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

help! i have a 06 maxima with 149885 miles n having a few issues with her.. after the day warms up....take off results in a rattlepinging racket that sounds like a older model chevy with no oil.....have oil changed every 3-4000 miles ....changed plugs and reset computer....now also have horrible gas mileage....spurt revs at inoppertune times....shifting hard and feels like shes pulling a trailer can ya'll please help me keep my baby???????
Old 08-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by FenderGuy
This is very common when people have issues with the car. Sad cause its a nice styled car, but engine and tranny issues are very common with this car...
What craziness are you talking about man? Be more specific when you say these cars have common issues. The VQ35DE has 2 small issues which is normal for older engines which is oil burning and the tensioners, other than that these engines are strong. Now the tranny issues is only common on the 5spd automatic, not the 4spd and the 6spd manual. Just like every other case when someone (not saying the OP) just in general neglect the oil the tensioners will rattle faster than the norm.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by msmaxima06
help! i have a 06 maxima with 149885 miles n having a few issues with her.. after the day warms up....take off results in a rattlepinging racket that sounds like a older model chevy with no oil.....have oil changed every 3-4000 miles ....changed plugs and reset computer....now also have horrible gas mileage....spurt revs at inoppertune times....shifting hard and feels like shes pulling a trailer can ya'll please help me keep my baby???????
have you checked your oil?

Low oil causes knocking or rattling sounds. Also "spurt" revs issue sounds like a Camshaft Position Sensor issue, which could cause both issues. Will also cause horrible gas mileage. Also should check that your spark plugs where done correctly.

I would do this.
1. Check oil
2. Check that spark plugs are firing<--- They have a neat lightup tool for this at pretty much every store with parts. Even Walmart
3. Go to Autozone or Oriley's Auto Parts and get them to scan your car for codes. Post them online so we can help you
4. If this doesn't help, take it to someone reliable to look at. Most noises can be easily diagnosed.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

help

my car is having so many issues i have a 2006 nissan maxima 3.5 sl
... im having problems starting the car, and when it does finally start it starts in 5th gear. i noticed that the only time it starts in 5th gear is when i am at a quarter tank or less of gas. When it starts in 5th gear it wont get past 2000 rpm"s. Also Ill be driving foot on gas trying to maintain a certain speed and my rpm"s will drop from 2500 rpm's to 1000 rpm's then back up to 3000 rpm's...

Last edited by Josh Snead; 08-26-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by po8pimp
have you checked your oil?

Low oil causes knocking or rattling sounds. Also "spurt" revs issue sounds like a Camshaft Position Sensor issue, which could cause both issues. Will also cause horrible gas mileage. Also should check that your spark plugs where done correctly.

I would do this.
1. Check oil
2. Check that spark plugs are firing<--- They have a neat lightup tool for this at pretty much every store with parts. Even Walmart
3. Go to Autozone or Oriley's Auto Parts and get them to scan your car for codes. Post them online so we can help you
4. If this doesn't help, take it to someone reliable to look at. Most noises can be easily diagnosed.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks i will do that and post what happens