Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   Goodbye summer show mode and hello pre-winter mode (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/657306-goodbye-summer-show-mode-hello-pre-winter-mode.html)

mrjasonlyrics 10-25-2012 07:37 PM

Goodbye summer show mode and hello pre-winter mode

14 Attachment(s)
Wassup fellaz. I did quite a few stuff to the max today and thought I'd share it with ya'll.
My stock bumper got broken when it was at the bodyshop so I took that oppertunity to upgrade to the 07-08
Attachment 39838

While I was working on the car the postlady decided to show up with my brand new corner light housing. The stock one got melted through from the HID's so I replaced it.
Attachment 39839

I left a little more room for the heat discharge to escape because the old one got melted right through. So for anyone who's thinking about doing this mod know that it will eventually melt through the lense

Old melted lense
Attachment 39840

Shorten the CAI because winter is coming and I don't want no snow getting sucked up in my engine. The HPS comes in two parts so it's preference to use in long or short. It was dirty so I washed it with soap water and blow dry it with a compressor
Attachment 39841

Long
Attachment 39842

Short

Also did my CCFL halo rings. I'll make a seperate thread with a video for those who wants to do it themselves
Attachment 39843

Attachment 39844

Attachment 39845

Spent like half the day doing all this stuff then took her for a quick spin
Attachment 39846

Attachment 39847

Attachment 39848

Attachment 39849

Attachment 39850

Attachment 39851

Dunno if i'm gonna paint the rear bumper or leave it like that. It's just for winter so I really don't care. Maybe i'll go do it maybe I won't. I'm tired as hell after all that work :sleep:

hero782 10-25-2012 09:33 PM

Why didn't you take off the ballast before putting the headlight in oven?

AlexxSCM 10-25-2012 09:36 PM

O.o

Rods03Max619 10-25-2012 09:41 PM

Nice....:d

ShocknAwe 10-25-2012 09:42 PM

Southern winters :) IE no winterizing necessary besides a light jacket lol

carsnwomen91 10-25-2012 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe (Post 8648336)

lucky bastard, i'm gonna have to get some rust proofing done soon. i hate rust soo much, i have this small spot on the front part of the front fender ahead of the wheel... makes me mad:mad: lol

op are those your winter rims?

mrjasonlyrics 10-26-2012 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91 (Post 8648377)
lucky bastard, i'm gonna have to get some rust proofing done soon. i hate rust soo much, i have this small spot on the front part of the front fender ahead of the wheel... makes me mad:mad: lol
My car have no rust on the body but engine bay bars and my floor panel. The previous owner neglected the car so next project will be to replace the floor panel.

op are those your winter rims?

Nah man those are my pre-winter rims, they're are too time consuming to clean and expensive to use for winter. I use to use them for racing but seeing that i'm putting it down for now I took off the 2 slicks for the front, bought 2 summer matching summer tires and slapped them on. Sold my black 350Z rims so these will be my cruise around rims when I'm not using the 22's.

I got 17" 350Z rims to swap out closer to winter and snow fall.

Lucky you man. Say no to car abuse "winter storing car"...:laugh:

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619 (Post 8648335)
Nice....:d

Originally Posted by alexx0108 (Post 8648325)
O.o

Originally Posted by hero782 (Post 8648320)

Don't think 200*F would harm it especially when it gets really hot on it's own. I've done this few times before and it still works fine

nsnrider 10-26-2012 10:05 AM

engine bay looks clean, but those rusty coolant lines look really bad, maybe hit 'em up with some sandpaper and prime/paint them.

if it was me, i'd get tired real fast at looking at the rear bumper cover not painted, you never know, we might have a long snowy winter.

tigersharkdude 10-26-2012 10:40 AM

this guy is right :p

This winter may be rough though. Weve had a few cold blasts already

ShocknAwe 10-26-2012 01:32 PM

Well even if it snows I take advantage of everything shutting down and stay inside. Especially now that I have Summer only tires. We will see. I want a white christmas. Have only had 1 In my life if I remember correctly

mrjasonlyrics 10-27-2012 02:11 PM

Tell me what ya'll think about my flyby. Not fast enough?

04BlackMaxx 10-27-2012 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I winterized my ss with an h3 Attachment 39773

Maximus350 10-27-2012 06:14 PM

Great stuff there J-MAX,

First time posting but have been following you guys since 2009.
I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima SE. Radiant Silver.

Only upgrades I have done has been the FUJITA CAI. I'm now considering the HPS due to snow here in NYC even though I never had a problem with the FUJITA for the past 3 years. I am currently thinking of installing my muffler system which with your help decided on most of the parts you used except the Magnaflows 14816's. I went with 14805's instead.

I have learned from many of you guys and hope to keep doing so.

Thanks.

mrjasonlyrics 10-27-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus350 (Post 8649702)
Great stuff there J-MAX,

First time posting but have been following you guys since 2009.
I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima SE. Radiant Silver.

Only upgrades I have done has been the FUJITA CAI. I'm now considering the HPS due to snow here in NYC even though I never had a problem with the FUJITA for the past 3 years. I am currently thinking of installing my muffler system which with your help decided on most of the parts you used except the Magnaflows 14816's. I went with 14805's instead.

I have learned from many of you guys and hope to keep doing so.

Thanks.

Appreciate it man. That's what we are all here for...:D

joecurr 10-29-2012 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by hero782 (Post 8648320)

I was thinking the same thing. Although it's PROBABLY okay for a short time, I definitely would not risk it as electronic components sometimes have a low operating temperature range, some even as low as 50C which is 122F. I wouldn't even put the headlight harness or anything removable from the headlight in the oven.

mrjasonlyrics 10-29-2012 02:56 PM

The first time I did it I removed everything, this time I was lazy so I protected the wires and left everything attached. It would of been wiser to remove those components but that's why the thread was created so that others won't understand the risk. Everything still works so I guess it will be up to you to leave it in or take it off.

hero782 10-29-2012 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics (Post 8651114)
The first time I did it I removed everything, this time I was lazy so I protected the wires and left everything attached. It would of been wiser to remove those components but that's why the thread was created so that others won't understand the risk. Everything still works so I guess it will be up to you to leave it in or take it off.

Only problem I find is you plan on making a how to video on opening your headlights. People are going to follow it and might mess up.

mrjasonlyrics 10-29-2012 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by hero782 (Post 8651202)
Only problem I find is you plan on making a how to video on opening your headlights. People are going to follow it and might mess up.

Dunno what to tell you man. I did it and it many times with the ballast on and it's still working. I can't go undo the picture that I provided :gotme:

justin2386 10-30-2012 10:17 AM

why are your cornering lights on all the time? maybe thats why the HIDs melted them :goofy: ..they arent supposed to be on all the time..and who do you have a "pre winter" mode..why not just summer and winter? :confused:

Maximus350 10-30-2012 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics (Post 8649708)
Appreciate it man. That's what we are all here for...:D

Thanks man. On another note. Can you provide a link or model number on the braided hoses you have for "Radiator" and "HPS intake hose"? Thanks again.

mrjasonlyrics 10-30-2012 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by justin2386 (Post 8651823)
why are your cornering lights on all the time? maybe thats why the HIDs melted them :goofy: ..they arent supposed to be on all the time..and who do you have a "pre winter" mode..why not just summer and winter? :confused:

Isn't it obvious? I modified the corner light for HID's, and the reason why the housing melted wasn't because it's on all the time, it's because the housing wasn't designed to withstand the heat discharge of the HID, and because I modified the bulb I closed up the housing preventing the circulating heat from escaping.

And if you look at my signature you'd know why I call it pre-winter and not summer, those rims aren't my winter rims either.

mrjasonlyrics 10-30-2012 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Maximus350 (Post 8651847)
Thanks man. On another note. Can you provide a link or model number on the braided hoses you have for "Radiator" and "HPS intake hose"? Thanks again.

Np man. I'll PM you with that info

Maximus350 10-30-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics (Post 8651905)
Np man. I'll PM you with that info

Thanks and hey, whats the best way to reach you if I have other questions? Don't mean to sound like a stalker but you happen to have most of the mods I plan on doing. Thanks again.

P.S. You have an email or would prefer PM?

Rochester 10-30-2012 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx (Post 8649615)
I winterized my ss with an h3

:laugh: And not at all because that was funny in the way you intended.

OP, I wouldn't bother with the bumper. Save that kind of attention for springtime. And impressive work... nice 6th gen.

TLMNICK 10-30-2012 04:11 PM

Nice work man. Looks like you've done a lot with that car. First time I'm ever hearing of a pre-winter mode. I wish I could keep my car in summer mode year round. Winter sucks.

The only thing I think is kinda strange is the HID clearance lights. To me, it makes no sense to have a light that bright projecting sideways off the front end to the motorists beside you...plus it melts the plastic housing. I say if you like the look of that light when it's always on, hook yourself up with some stock replacement LED bulbs from VLEDs. They'll still be bright, very white, but without being overly bright, or hot.

04BlackMaxx 10-30-2012 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 8651996)

OP, I wouldn't bother with the bumper. Save that kind of attention for springtime. And impressive work... nice 6th gen.

Glad you enjoyed it in your own way ra-cha-cha :)

mrjasonlyrics 10-30-2012 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus350 (Post 8651847)

It's actually a kit that covers almost anything you can find to cover. It's a steel braided hose and I got it off of ebay

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 8651996)

That's what I was thinking, because it's just for winter which is only 3-4 months out of the year I probably might just leave it, but on another note my boy who did the paint job and engine owns the shop and i've developed a good relationship with him so it probably might not be too much. I mean I could always go to the shop, prep the bumper myself and just let him paint it which wouldn't be too much of a job and let him charge me whatever. But with all the money I just dished into getting her back on the road I couldn't care less who hates how it looks...:D

Originally Posted by TLMNICK (Post 8652103)
Nice work man. Looks like you've done a lot with that car. First time I'm ever hearing of a pre-winter mode. I wish I could keep my car in summer mode year round. Winter sucks.

The only thing I think is kinda strange is the HID clearance lights. To me, it makes no sense to have a light that bright projecting sideways off the front end to the motorists beside you...plus it melts the plastic housing. I say if you like the look of that light when it's always on, hook yourself up with some stock replacement LED bulbs from VLEDs. They'll still be bright, very white, but without being overly bright, or hot.

I'm different man. I like making my car look different and that HID corner light really stands out from other maxima's. It really don't bother me because it's not my all year around bumper so if it melts through again I really don't car. And as far as the shining in other motorist eyes, it's hooked up to ignition with a switch so at night when i'm driving in traffic I turn it off and use the HID fog and headlight and during the day I use the CCFL halo rings and corner HID fogs. It actually works really good at night at dark roads, gives a wicked 180* illumination radius. Winning