Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   Tranny problems (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/657531-tranny-problems.html)

Bo' 11-01-2012 12:43 PM

Tranny problems

hello everyone....im farely new here, own a 2004 nissan maxima.
maybe im looking in the wrong place, but i havent found a related problem i have have with my transmission, here is as follows:
1) from park to drive it takes a good 2 seconds for it to kick in gear but with a hard shift though....almost like a donkey kick from behind,

2) from 2nd to 3rd gear......it lags. and some very weird shifting....almost like the car hesitates to kick in gear.

now....is that some cam/ crank sensor....which ive replaced only the cam (front of car)....and maybe have to replace the crank?
ive done a diognostic....and doesnt throw any codes...but when i bought the cam the first time...it was doing the same thing...only that it was stuck in 5th....

my check engine light is not on...but shifts hard from park to drive really ugly....
been reading to also do a tranny oil change drain/ refill but not to change the filter ....
car has 120k miles....
any in put would help......thank you

theblackone3.5 11-01-2012 02:12 PM

Just change the tranny fluid. Do it every 3,000 miles or so for like 2 or 3 times and it should shift better. If it doesn't get any better just slap a transgo shift kit on it, that will fix the problem for sure. changing ur fluid should help though.

Bo' 11-01-2012 02:30 PM

Should i replace the the filter as well?

theblackone3.5 11-01-2012 02:55 PM

no need, just get tranny fluid

po8pimp 11-01-2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bo' (Post 8653638)
hello everyone....im farely new here, own a 2004 nissan maxima.
maybe im looking in the wrong place, but i havent found a related problem i have have with my transmission, here is as follows:
1) from park to drive it takes a good 2 seconds for it to kick in gear but with a hard shift though....almost like a donkey kick from behind,

2) from 2nd to 3rd gear......it lags. and some very weird shifting....almost like the car hesitates to kick in gear.

now....is that some cam/ crank sensor....which ive replaced only the cam (front of car)....and maybe have to replace the crank?
ive done a diognostic....and doesnt throw any codes...but when i bought the cam the first time...it was doing the same thing...only that it was stuck in 5th....

my check engine light is not on...but shifts hard from park to drive really ugly....
been reading to also do a tranny oil change drain/ refill but not to change the filter ....
car has 120k miles....
any in put would help......thank you

there is a thread on this already that has been viewed 121,374 times with 1,069 replies in it at the top of the 6th gen forums. It explains everything you are experiencing. http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html

04BlackMaxx 11-02-2012 09:42 AM

If you need a new tranny, search http://www.findashemalelover.com/

po8pimp 11-02-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx (Post 8654390)
If you need a new tranny, search http://www.findashemalelover.com/

That's probably the best post I have ever seen.

04BlackMaxx 11-04-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp (Post 8654923)
That's probably the best post I have ever seen.

Well especially considering the donkey punch issue hes also having "....almost like a donkey kick from behind" :laugh:

Bo' 11-05-2012 09:59 PM

called up sunbelt....place in florida, some dude fabian...really nice guy,...ran me throught a series of questions...and confirmed it was my valve body,
now...ive also been told to just change the fluid....about 10 bucks a quart...and drain/fill 3x's.....about 150 total...could be money down the drain if it doesnt solve my problem.....especially them donkey kick...from park to drive...

CRiME 11-05-2012 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bo' (Post 8657301)
called up sunbelt....place in florida, some dude fabian...really nice guy,...ran me throught a series of questions...and confirmed it was my valve body,
now...ive also been told to just change the fluid....about 10 bucks a quart...and drain/fill 3x's.....about 150 total...could be money down the drain if it doesnt solve my problem.....especially them donkey kick...from park to drive...

Just change the valve body. If you want, drain and refill with fresh fluid after the VB change.

Bo' 11-12-2012 06:10 PM

about to purchase my valve body.....
just a quick question....is it safe to mix A/T MATIC K fluid with something else....
although some AT fluids meet matic k standards?

Max streets 11-12-2012 07:10 PM

no k matic only , i had the same porblem u might need the clutches also if its still a delay on the shifting afther u cahnge the valve body.

Bo' 11-12-2012 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Max streets (Post 8663151)
no k matic only , i had the same porblem u might need the clutches also if its still a delay on the shifting afther u cahnge the valve body.

k bro....im lost here....
not one person on the transmission fix said...i need new clutches...
elaborate more on this please

PLAYNU2 11-15-2012 08:28 PM

Tranny issue

I've got the same issue. Hard shift from park to drive or park to reverse. I've only noticed it though after I have been driving for a while. Almost like the tranny fluid has heated up some. I definitely do not have the problem when I start it off in the morning for work or at night when I leave to come home. Only after driving all day shopping trips with the wife.....lol

So I'm going to do some draining and filling for a while and see if that clears it up. I had a flush and refill at 83K and now I'm at 105k and the fluid looks like light brownish....not reddish. :)

CRiME 11-16-2012 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by PLAYNU2 (Post 8665342)
I've got the same issue. Hard shift from park to drive or park to reverse. I've only noticed it though after I have been driving for a while. Almost like the tranny fluid has heated up some. I definitely do not have the problem when I start it off in the morning for work or at night when I leave to come home. Only after driving all day shopping trips with the wife.....lol

So I'm going to do some draining and filling for a while and see if that clears it up. I had a flush and refill at 83K and now I'm at 105k and the fluid looks like light brownish....not reddish. :)

This is how my problem started. Fine when cold, terrible once warmed up. I would advise you to just replace the valve body now rather than spending money on swapping out the fluid. Have the trans evaluated if you can. It's possible that the other internals of your trans are still good and you can have it return to normal operation with just a VB change.

Bo' 11-19-2012 09:47 AM

When replacing fluid (car says to use matic k) can i replace with anything else....or equivalent?

Bo' 11-25-2012 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Max streets (Post 8663151)

clutches????....my car is auto