6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2007 Nissan Maxima wont start on first try

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a similar problem with my 2004 Maxima. For over a year, when ever I would get the car hot, then let it sit long enough for it to start to cool down, but not long enough to cool down all the way it would crank but not start, or would start & die after going only a few feet. This was especially frustrating because I could never seem to recreate the problem for my mechanic. After changing numerous sensors and relays & various other potential causes, we eventually came to a malfunction in the chip in the key. I had the dealership reprogram the chip & so far the problem seems to have stopped. It has only been about a week so far, but this seems to have fixed the problem for me.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vapor sensor

Got a friend of mine told me it is a vapor sensor above the gas tank. You have to drop the tank an it's located somewhere above it. Hope this helps someone...
Old 08-18-2019, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by zuko
Mine is having the same exact problem, if you find what's wrong with it please let me know

One thing I can tell you is that if you turn the key on but just before you fire it up... let it sit for about 4-5 seconds and then turn it all the way on. It'll fire up a lot easier. It has to do something with priming of the fuel
I have the same exact problem with a 2006 Maxima I bought about a month ago. Battery and starter were weak, changed them both, yet after driving the car a bit, turning it off, then trying to start a bit later, it would crank but wouldn't start.

It'd take 5 or more tries to finally get it going, but once it started it ran perfectly fine. That's were I was doubting it had anything to do with the crankshaft sensor, fuel pump, or anything else that would affect the drivability of the car.

I did notice I'd hear a relay click near the glove box then I'd hear the fuel pump kick in, if I took the time to wait before turning the key all the way. If I waited until the fuel pump kicked in, and THEN try turning the key all the way to start, the car would start right up. Using that method I've not had a single problem starting the car.

I think it's got to have something to do with the start up sequence and the delay caused by various relays having to energize before the car is ready to start. Don't know why it's such a problem with this model, but that appears to be the underlying cause of my problems at least.

So the method is as follows;

1) Turn the key to ON.
2) Wait until you hear a relay click, and then for the fuel pump to kick in (it's a slight whining sound). This could take between 2 to 4 seconds on my car.
3) Now turn the key to start.

Let me know people if that helps, it might be the cause of most of these starting problems I've seen described here.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 AM

That is not a problem with "this model" - that is a systemic problem with Nissan: electric components too cheap.

If it starts cold but not hot than chances are that it is one of the temperature sensors. Did you read the codes?
Old 08-19-2019, 08:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tarzan
That is not a problem with "this model" - that is a systemic problem with Nissan: electric components too cheap.

If it starts cold but not hot than chances are that it is one of the temperature sensors. Did you read the codes?
There are no codes as far as I can tell since the CEL is not lit.

I've read that a slow leak in the fuel system causing the pressure to drop can cause the problem, where you need to prime the system for it to start.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:46 AM

That would be the pressure regulator. If you had a leak through the injectors, you would see that from the fuel trims - if they are low or negative when expected to be positive.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2006 Nissan Maxima battery drains when there's nothing on for some strange reason.

Help me please
Old 07-10-2022, 02:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by midlife38
Hello to all members
Need your help with this as I see it maybe a common issue.
( have 93,000 miles cvt trans)

Battery and starter are in working order tested. check out ok

cranks strong but wont always start on first try 2nd or 3rd try will start up and drive fine. ( No check engine light)

Items/ parts that have been replaced ( all oem parts from Nissan dealership)

1)- fuel pump and fuel pump relay
2)- both camshaft sensors along with the cranks shaft sensor
3)- transistor/receiver not sure what the correct name for it is
but goes mounted to the igniton switch.
4)- coolant temp sensor.

So I took it in to the stealership to get it checked out and they said Bad fuel pump so I showed them the recipt for the pump I had bought a week ago...Stealership Oh it must be defective.. Here we go..
so I had them change it agin no charge for part but $90.00 labor
Guess what STILL have the same issue.

stealership is at a loss as there is no check engine light on.

stealership gave me a gift certificate for 3 oil changes for the $90.00
I paid on there labor to get the pump replaced.
LOL mighty kind of them ..

Still having the same issue Please HELP>>>>>

BTW my friends 05 Nissan Quest is doing the Same thing..

any input or leads on what to try next???
My ears are open
I am dealing with the same thing and I am convinced it is simply an unresolved computer Glitch. I notice the problem more when it is hot outside. I also found that turning the ignition off for 15 seconds and trying again usually does the trick. I tried unhooking the battery for a few hours and let the computer reset. It seemed to reduce the occurrence of the issue. It never seems to be a consistent problem so you can troubleshoot it. My first thought is that the injectors don't fire up for some reason. Like I said it seems like a Glitch because after 10 to 15 seconds in the off position it seems to resolve. I replaced both cam sensors a few years back but I got an engine light when those went bad. This nutty problem doesn't throw an engine light.
Old 07-10-2022, 04:22 PM

When I 1st purchased my used 04 maxima it would not always start on first turn of key but always on 2nd try, after dealing with it for a few years I finally had fuel pump replaced and it solved my problem...its been starting up on 1st try now for years after that fix.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by danlb0y
I am dealing with the same thing and I am convinced it is simply an unresolved computer Glitch. I notice the problem more when it is hot outside. I also found that turning the ignition off for 15 seconds and trying again usually does the trick. I tried unhooking the battery for a few hours and let the computer reset. It seemed to reduce the occurrence of the issue. It never seems to be a consistent problem so you can troubleshoot it. My first thought is that the injectors don't fire up for some reason. Like I said it seems like a Glitch because after 10 to 15 seconds in the off position it seems to resolve. I replaced both cam sensors a few years back but I got an engine light when those went bad. This nutty problem doesn't throw an engine light.
This is from back in the day. We have one on each fuel rail.