Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   Replaced belts still get squeal from ps. (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/675241-replaced-belts-still-get-squeal-ps.html)

Ethan.Powell 02-22-2014 01:00 AM

Replaced belts still get squeal from ps.

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE. I just replaced the ps high pressure hose, belt tensioner assembly, drive belt and ps belt among other things. I get the squeal when turned to extremes. Also while in park, when I turn the steering wheel, it makes the noise like when you have no ps fluid. Fluid level is good though. Anybody have any suggestions? Could this be a problem with the ps pump?

nsnrider 02-24-2014 05:10 PM

sounds like a worn ps pump.

I would replace the fluid first and see if that helps.

Les7311 02-24-2014 05:37 PM

Make sure you have the correct tension on the belt or it will squeal....ALSO I use dealer belt over after-brand.....

Ethan.Powell 02-25-2014 08:31 AM

I just changed the high pressure hose, so the ps fluid is all fresh. I was thinking it might be the pump. Sometimes when it's cold it groans when I turn the wheel in park. I used Gates brand belts to replace both alternator and ps. The tensioner bolt and (for lack of a better term) tensioner bolt housing are both new as well. So I might have it a little bit too tight. I'll check all this out here in a little bit. Thanks for the help guys.

ShocknAwe 02-25-2014 10:33 AM

Is this the first belt you have replaced? I would go get a deflection gauge because likely you didnt get enough tension on it.

jmatusko 02-26-2014 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan.Powell (Post 8918640)
2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE. I just replaced the ps high pressure hose, belt tensioner assembly, drive belt and ps belt among other things. I get the squeal when turned to extremes. Also while in park, when I turn the steering wheel, it makes the noise like when you have no ps fluid. Fluid level is good though. Anybody have any suggestions? Could this be a problem with the ps pump?

I get that too. Only when my a/c is on it squeals real loud. and i recently replaced the same belts

Ethan.Powell 02-27-2014 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe (Post 8919962)
Is this the first belt you have replaced? I would go get a deflection gauge because likely you didnt get enough tension on it.

I've only done a few on cars but used to do commercial HVAC work, so not really. I know about how tight belts need to be to run compressors and all that jazz. It only squeals when the steering wheel is cranked to either extreme. That's why I asked, in case it might have been something I overlooked maybe a pulley misaligned. Just seeing if anyone else had this problem. I'm going to check it out in the morning. I'll maybe spring for that new ps pump as well.

Ethan.Powell 02-27-2014 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by jmatusko (Post 8920690)
I get that too. Only when my a/c is on it squeals real loud. and i recently replaced the same belts

Yours sounds more like the drive belt is too loose. My problem has to deal with the ps belt, not the drive belt.

car5car 02-27-2014 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Les7311 (Post 8919692)
Make sure you have the correct tension on the belt or it will squeal.

My dad called from MD to complain about PS noise. He drove his van to FL and I adjusted belt.:D

Ethan.Powell 02-27-2014 01:37 PM

I resolved the squeal from the ps belt. I went with the method of being able to twist the belt halfway over in the middle. It had loosened up a bit. Thanks for your input guys. I'm looking to replace the ps pump soon. Hopefully after that turning will be fluid, like it should be! :D