6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Car Goes BLACK when trying to start with powered sub hooked up!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car Goes BLACK when trying to start with powered sub hooked up!?!

My buddy and I finished hooking up My JBL Basspro powered sub today. All I ran from sub to front of the car was the power cable from sub to battery. This sub is able to splice into the two back 6x9s (which is what i did because i have stock system) turned the key on to ACC mode and everything was working phenomenally. The sub was bumping and whether I turned up or down all lights were solid and were not fading in and out whether it was way down, or way up. I go to start the car, and I hear a loud (CLICK) somewhere under the hood, and everything in the car went BLACK. Not sure why everything would work fine in ACC mode and then the car wouldnt start!!?? So of course at first i thought something bad happened, well I unhooked my power line and checked my in line fuse to the amp. that was fine. On my positive side battery terminal there is already like three different cables running to it. Not sure if this is normal or not in the maxima. The very top cable is very large and has 2 in line fuses right towards the top of the cable. One fuse is long with four different sections that were not broke, and the 25 amp fuse right by the terminal was all still intact. so all fuses good, amp power unhooked, everything back to normal, car starts up and runs perfectly fine. Well I hook my power back up and do another test run in accessory mode. (ACC) sub is working just awesome again. Look at all my lights and they are all bright and solid and not fading in and out with the sub bumping. the light on the sub was strong and solid too the entire time. Well i shut the power off on the radio and sub and start the car. Now it starts and is running, i turn radio/sub on and chwOOOoooo....dies, everything black instantly when i turn it on. Now the battery is from 10/12 but seems strong. The way i Ground the amp was as follows. There is a small amp between the 6x9's bolted to the car between speakers. I put a connector on ground and put a washer up, then the connector of the ground, and put a nut under that to tighten it all up. Now it seemed to work fine enough in ACC mode, so Im assuming it should be a good ground. Not blowing any fuses when it dies, not sure what to do. Is there a way i could put a bigger or more powerful battery in my car? I dont need a remote turn on wire because its spliced through the speakers, i just need power. But for some reason as soon as i click past the ACC mode on the ignition with the radio and sub on, it makes everything go black. wont even start to turn over, just CLICK, dead. then after a couple minutes everything just comes back on....not really sure whats going on. Please help, would be nice if I didnt need anything new, but what do ya'll think? Thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 04:12 AM

So no remote turn on, it hears signal from the speaker signal and knows to come on. Just power to battery, ground to chassis near existing factory amp...One thing I would consider changing is the location of the ground. I normally run a wire down to the lower back seat area, and one of the bolts holding the upper seat rest is usually going to have good ground, and put a washer connector under that. Thing is, it's at least something to try. After that, I'm not really sure. But I'd suspect that not having a traditional LOC (line output convertor) could be causing issues with the bose amp?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ya that's definitely one thing I'm going to try when I get it into my work shop again. I asked a guy around here and he seemed pretty adamant that the amp ground wouldn't affect the rest of the car...( But never know I guess) if not that I think it may be the alternator...? Because when I started the car with the radio/sub off it was fine, then turned the radio/sub power on and it just died instantly. So almost tells me the alternator may not be throwing enough juice. But I'm no pro by any means so I appreciate your help, and ANY HELP for that matter. Thanks again
Old 01-23-2017, 07:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

And the amp is integrated together with the sub. It's a powered JBL BASSPRO. And seems like the battery is fine cuz testing it in ACC MODE everything was bright, solid, and strong the whole time. No fading lights in car or on the sub, so idk. I'd like to think maybe if I changed the ground it would work, but almost like the mechanic said, that shouldn't effect the rest of the car I wouldn't think, just the powering of the sub, or speakers, or radio. But I m hoping someone has had this issue and knows exactly what's going on. I don't have much time to go troubleshoot, this is the 2nd time in 4 months I've had spare time to work on it. Just too busy, but don't wanna pay 80$ an hr for someone else to do it. Ridiculous! Thanks for the words tho, much appreciated
Old 01-23-2017, 08:11 AM

In the interest of troubleshooting, if you can get just a spare 10 or 8 gauge wire and run ground directly from battery to the JBL(just outside the car, not concealed, will take 5 minutes to test), that will let you know if ground is even an issue. If problem persists direct connect, then you know there's likely something else wrong. Of course if it works like a champ, then your ground needs to move. That system doesn't look overly powerful, so it's not killing you.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ahhh, that's Definitely a good idea. I think at work we have nice gauge cable like that I could try. Wish I could do it today but wifey has the car at work. Her tax return couldn't come ANY SOONER.