6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

fuel needle slowly moves up and down

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:42 PM

fuel needle slowly moves up and down

my fuel gauge/needle slowly goes up and down. It seems to go down to the E faster than it should. What can be the issue. the cluster, the fuel level sensor in the fuel pump assembly, or something else? Thanks
Old 03-01-2017, 06:48 PM

Don't overfill tank. Could be the fuel evaporation canister clogged / sticking and not allowing the gas vapors to escape. Next option is the fuel pump float also sticking???????

Don't do anything until a code appears. In meanwhile reset your tach mileage after every fullnup and use as a guide to next fill up.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:52 PM

I just had that same problem of gas gauge moving inaccurately and my fuel pump was making a faint whining noise as well so i replaced my fuel pump with a bosch brand and it is working fine now!

The fuel pump that was defective was a carquest brand (cheapest replacement store sold) that i had just installed a few weeks ago. The original reason i replaced a few weeks ago was due to car not starting on 1st try but it always started on 2nd try.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by MiaRaider81
I just had that same problem of gas gauge moving inaccurately and my fuel pump was making a faint whining noise as well so i replaced my fuel pump with a bosch brand and it is working fine now!

The fuel pump that was defective was a carquest brand (cheapest replacement store sold) that i had just installed a few weeks ago. The original reason i replaced a few weeks ago was due to car not starting on 1st try but it always started on 2nd try.
​​​​​​
yea i was planning to change the fuel pump assembly as well. For a while my car cranks 2-3 times then starts. I dont hear any weird noises, but i figure i change it since car is 200k miles. I also tried doing the idle relearn in hopes that would fix the issue after multiple attempts i gave up.