6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Suspension lift on 04 SE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Suspension lift on 04 SE?

Anyone done one of these before?

I may be purchasing a 2004 Maxima SE that has been sitting for over a year to build up a project. Current owner stopped driving it when LF coil snapped and chewed up the tire.

I would want to do a utility/overland build with the thing. I know it isn't 4WD, but I have a Jeep for that. I want to make a seasonal road killer from this. I'm thinking lift 2-4", bigger all terrain or mud terrain tires, cut fenders, roof rack, lights, weld up a front winch/stinger, roll bar, etc.

I have a good handle on everything but lifting it as I typically deal with solid axle coil/shock suspension. Any thoughts on what may be compatible to get this thing in the air?
I'm expecting to need to replace steering components anyway so that would be addressed in the process as well.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:40 AM

When you lift that much, you need to remember to not over-extend the brake hoses as when the wheel drops into a hole on the road, it might tear the hose right off. My 2c.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good point and will keep that in mind. Probably swap in some longer stainless steel lines.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:36 AM

You only need SS lines if you brake so hard, your fluid starts boiling. And keep in mind, those SS lines are very stiff, so if you do lots of offroading, they may damage the mounting bracket from all that up and down movement of the wheel, then break off the brake line. They are really so much stiffer than the OE rubber lines. SS lines make perfect sense on the lowered track vehicle that drives only on smooth pavement, but for your purposes they may be harmful.