6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Does anyone know if mileage is stored in the gauge cluster?

Old 05-31-2017, 11:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know if mileage is stored in the gauge cluster?

Hey everyone, so I have a 06 Maxima SE, I live in Canada. I bought the car last year and I did a VIN search at the time with my provinces registry. Since it had records back to 06, and a clear title I assumed all was good, car seemed otherwise ok. Fast forward a few months and I notice one day that the gauge cluster pod in the car is just loosely sitting on the dash, its not secured in anyways. I also notice theres some stains that are actually INSIDE the lens..Uh oh I decide to pull a carproof (same thing as carfax pretty much) and it turns out this thing was actually a rental car from Colorado the first 4 months of its life in late 05... That alone would have made me walk if I had known prior... Now my issue is the gauge cluster is in km, so is the odometer (I have measured distances on the highway). I find this unusual, most US imports the gauges are left alone but it looks like they wanted to change it and just swapped the whole cluster instead of just getting overlays in km for the gauges and leaving the odo. in miles. I did a lot of research and Im just not getting clear answers. Hopefully someone here that knows our cars can answer my burning question. Is the mileage stored in the cluster or in the cars ecu. Very sketched out about this now, really hoping I didn't get hosed.

TL;DR: Live in Canada, discovered after buying my Max is actually a US import but gauges are in KM and appears to be a cluster swap. Want to know if the mileage comes from ecu or if it comes from cluster and I got ripped off.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:56 AM

Find the dealer who originally sold the car for starters.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:01 AM
Willing to learn

Mileage is stored in the cluster.

Definitely.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Find the dealer who originally sold the car for starters.
Not really sure what I could achieve with that though, I know the car originally did start with miles (as of course it was sold in the US) and the first record on carfax does show the odometer reading marked as miles..
Old 06-02-2017, 11:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Mileage is stored in the cluster.

Definitely.
Not to seem skeptical, but any sources? I keep finding conflicting info on this and I cannot at all seem to find anything really related to our vehicles in particular. I find it really difficult to believe it would be as easy as someone just plugging in a new cluster, especially with a design like the max where you can literally take it off the dash as a separate piece. Also if it is indeed the case its stored in the cluster, isn't it illegal to just swap clusters?
Old 06-03-2017, 05:33 AM

You assume "you know" that from Carfax, but if a stupid blonde (or these days rather a wise guru in Bangalore) made a mistake entering its VIN into the system, you are looking at a completely different vehicle. Find the dealer who originally sold the vehicle and from its location you'll know if this is a Canadian or US car at least.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:53 PM

Milage is stored on the cluster in eprom i work on them every day
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone know if mileage is stored in the gauge cluster?-photo423.jpg  
Old 06-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tarzan
You assume "you know" that from Carfax, but if a stupid blonde (or these days rather a wise guru in Bangalore) made a mistake entering its VIN into the system, you are looking at a completely different vehicle. Find the dealer who originally sold the vehicle and from its location you'll know if this is a Canadian or US car at least.
I have no idea how carproofs system works, but the VIN on said report does match my car. Also even if they were producing history info for a different max and listed under my VIN by mistake the chances of an identical car ending up in the same little place in freaking Sask would be pretty amazing . The reg locations match the city where I got it, and the claim history is also identical to that on my provinces registry. So Im doubting the report is wrong, if most of it is correct I doubt the US history part would be otherwise. But regardless is there anyway to find out the dealer based on VIN? It is a good idea but Im not hearing any way to carry it out. A google search doesn't turn up anything, just people trying to find out if they can track down where their old cars ended up from VIN. So if you have a procedure for your idea that would be awesome...

Also anyone else potentially reading this, is there anyway to find the country of origin based on the VIN. I know the 1N4 means North America but is there anyways to see the original country it was made for?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The_Fixer
Is it also stored elsewhere in the car? I see people on other forums (different cars) say a new cluster plugged in would typically just show the clusters mileage but that the mileage is also stored in the ECU (even if it doesn't automatically show up) and it can be pulled up for comparison. So in these cars is that also the case? Thank you!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:58 PM

Nope strictly on cluster Nissan does some bull**** and runs a lot of its systems directly to the cluster then out to the ecu
Old 06-07-2017, 12:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nope strictly on cluster Nissan does some bull**** and runs a lot of its systems directly to the cluster then out to the ecu
Damn, thats really too bad, especially considering how easy it seems to remove gauges on the 6th gen with it being a separate piece. Ridiculous. Anyways thanks for the solid info.

Cheers
Old 07-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello! Do you happen to know what eeprom model is on 2017 Maxima?

Thank you!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What did you do to get your dash lights to look like that? It looks awesome.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That was for the fixer