6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

A/C compressor pulley bearing seized

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A/C compressor pulley bearing seized

My ac pulley bering seized and snapped my serpentine belt on my 05 Maxima. I'm just going to replace the pulley assembly. Has anyone done this before? Do you use Nissan parts or have you gone to the aftermarket?
Old 07-10-2017, 12:15 AM

I removed the air conditioner clutch and the pulley and the coil. The pulley was obviously bad because the bearings were completely seized. The seizure of the bearings cause so much heat that it melted the epoxy resin on the coil behind it so I just decided to replace the whole thing. Fortunately I found a clutch and pulley assembly in the junk yard for about $15 and they look like they were in great shape. I installed everything but still waiting on the serpentine belt. The procedure on how to replace all this stuff is all over YouTube. One thing to be careful of is when you put the new pulley on make sure you don't tap on the bearing but tap on the pulley itself. I used a huge socket and I tapped on the socket and the socket pressed the police squarely on to the compressor shaft. I'll let you know how everything works when I get my serpentine belt
Old 07-10-2017, 07:19 AM

Get off photobucket ASAP, they now want to get paid for hosting and all your images are not showing.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:58 AM

What do I do with all the pics I have on there???
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Banned

My pics show and Im on Photobucket that's strange. Deus I can't believe you still have that car, you owned it since 2004 right? You having the dreaded ABS issues? Might not be bad in your climate but it made the car a lemon in upstate NY.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
My pics show and Im on Photobucket that's strange. Deus I can't believe you still have that car, you owned it since 2004 right? You having the dreaded ABS issues? Might not be bad in your climate but it made the car a lemon in upstate NY.
Yes, I bought the car in November 2004. ...144000 miles. No ABS problems. What is the ABS issue with those cars? I remember the main issue with those cars was the automatic transmission but I fortunately have the 6-speed manual.

The interior of the car is beautiful but the Southern California Sun has wreaked havoc on my paint and so my car needs some fresh kh3 super black paint.

So I was putting the brand new belt on and I noticed my threaded belt adjuster was frozen. I tried to work the adjuster free but it had very little range of movement. I went back to the junkyard and pulled the idler pulley assembly and put my pulley on since my idler pulley is only about a year old. I use the adjuster from the junkyard and I put anti-seize Compound on it and it works perfectly.

Then I put the belt on and adjusted the tension and tighten down the pulley. I fired up the car and the air conditioner blows nice and cold. I went down to the front of the car and saw that the air conditioner clutch is engaged. I drove it around for about 20 miles today in 100 degree weather and everything runs great. The engine is now nice and quiet because the air conditioner pulley was making quite a racket before it seized. It's great to be back in the Max again after 7 months of downtime