6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Speedometer Problem Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Speedometer Problem Please Help

Hello, I recently bought a 2005 Maxima and the speedometer and odometer did not work the mileage is stuck in place and the speedometer never moves no matter how fast you are going. I thought maybe speed sensor after looking at some stuff on the internet but the strange thing is that the cruise control works perfectly fine. Everything i read said the cruise shouldn't work if its a bad sensor. So then i got point towards the gauge cluster. Well i bought one from eBay and put it in today and still same thing Odo and speedometer are a no go. I'm kinda at a loss now. I don't wanna spend a bunch more just trying things. I thought maybe you guys could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:40 AM

Check your ABS fuse. Check too the wheel sensors. Is your ABS light on? Or check under the hood carefully for some plugged harness connector.

Last edited by Costee; 08-02-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Sounds like a cluster problem to me. I had that in my old Maxima and was never able to fix. Try to find a good working used cluster and swap in. Or simply use your smartphone or GPS navigator for a speedometer.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Try to find a good working used cluster and swap in. Or simply use your smartphone or GPS navigator for a speedometer.
That would suggest the replacement he got off eBay was also bad.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:54 AM

Possible. Like anything possible when you get an electric problem in a Nissan. They used components designed to age and fail on purpose, to force us to buy new cars. This can be a cluster plug, or wire harness, or anything else. A ***** to diagnose, like I said.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:13 PM

I'm not sure man, worst case you will have to take it to Nissan and let them diagnose the issue. You are the second person I have seen have this issue recently.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Costee
Check your ABS fuse. Check too the wheel sensors. Is your ABS light on? Or check under the hood carefully for some plugged harness connector.
no lights on at all. thats the strange thing.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by cxrxaxz
no lights on at all. thats the strange thing.
Have you checked the ABS fuse? It's located in the IPDM. It's 10A, with ABS Cont printed on the cover of the unit for its location.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have you checked the ABS fuse? It's located in the IPDM. It's 10A, with ABS Cont printed on the cover of the unit for its location.
yeah, my mechanic checked all the fuses with his tester under the hood and inside. all of them were good. I guess at this point my only option is to take it to the dealership if i ever want a speedometer again.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:16 PM

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM

Didn't know wheel sensors could cause loss of the speedometer indicator....mine have been blinking for six months and I don't plan on replacing them..maybe I should.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any luck with this?
Old 01-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Possible. Like anything possible when you get an electric problem in a Nissan. They used components designed to age and fail on purpose, to force us to buy new cars. This can be a cluster plug, or wire harness, or anything else. A ***** to diagnose, like I said.
One of my Maxima's (03) is going on 15 years...my 08 is approaching 10.