Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   Totally lost on 05 belt/ps/alt issue ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/703109-totally-lost-05-belt-ps-alt-issue-any-advice-appreciated.html)

FreckledFox84 12-05-2018 11:29 AM

Totally lost on 05 belt/ps/alt issue ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED

Hi all new here not sure if im putting this in the correct spot even but I'll stop babbling and get to the point. Please bear with me as I am far from any kind of expert and im also surrounded by boneheads. I have an 05 maxima that i absolutely love and have only had just over 6 months before it broke down. A few details prior to it totally going , the power steering was having issues (possible leak, air in the system) it burned small amounts of oil which i wasn't too concerned about, battery randomly died one day and we discovered it was totally dried out with nothing covering it and we just put a new one in, then maybe a month or so later the battery light and everything started coming on suggesting the alternator was going and it went the next day. So I allowed someone to change it against my better judgment because he doesn't seem to know much about cars especially altenators. 3 days later its back together and we're ready to start it. So they did and a sound ive never heard before starts very loudly screaming from my car, almost like a belt is totally off and clicking against something loudly. Longer story short he says my serp belt is dry rotted and needs replaced. My kids dad looks and says no the belt is fine so i start it up to attempt to figure out the problem. Battery was totally drained but it sat for a few weeks after the altenator was done. So it took quite some time to jump but nonetheless is running. VERY loudly. Definitely has a power steering issue, not sure if its a leak or the actual pump going but I have to turn the wheel very carefully or it feels as though it doesn't want to turn the car almost like its loose? If that makes sense lol so i check the level of fluid, looks like frothy chocolate milk and is low. I add some and let it run a few minutes and some of the loud power steering noise is quieter but then starts with that loud clicking noise !! I cannot figure out what that is, the boys i have helping aren't very bright lol or are lazy too so any advice would be appreciated i apologize for the length i just wanted to make sure i included all details thanks in advance

chrome91 12-05-2018 09:01 PM

if you cant figure out where the noise is, remove the serpentine belt then start the car while parked. you can run the car for a short time with no serpentine belt. if the noise is still going, its not a belt or pulley issue

you shouldnt have to do that even, you should be able to see if a splash shield or whatever is hitting the belt. definitely sounds like it has a leak, if the pump has internal damage that could be the clicking too