Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   05 Maxima Steering Wheel Vibration, knocking noise from front end. (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/703545-05-maxima-steering-wheel-vibration-knocking-noise-front-end.html)

smacpl 01-29-2019 09:53 AM

05 Maxima Steering Wheel Vibration, knocking noise from front end.

Hello all, I have a 2005 Maxima, just had some question, so when i go over 40mph the steering wheel vibrates heavily and gets worse when even faster, as well when the car is slowing down, with out any brakes engaged, i can hear a clunking noise that happens as you slow down, as well when slowing down with brakes the clucking noise is still there and can feel it through the brake pedal. Anyone can help me out i dont know where to start looking, brake and rotors where replace not long ago, Control Arms where replaced at the time of purchase of the vehicle approx 1 1/2 years ago. Can a bad torque converter give be vibration and the knocking sound as its slowing down? any other suggestions of what to look for as well? thank you

04BlackMaxx 02-08-2019 04:50 AM

I suggest you pour gasoline all over the interior and light a match to it and put this piece of garbage car our of its misery. The shimmy issue is a well known flaw with no cure as its a product of poor engineering.

04maximas 02-08-2019 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx (Post 9194655)
I suggest you pour gasoline all over the interior and light a match to it and put this piece of garbage car our of its misery. The shimmy issue is a well known flaw with no cure as its a product of poor engineering.

just letting you know my maxim is a 04 and I have 0 problems with it cause I take care of my car. if your just gonna be negative and not helpful at all than stay the hell off this forum

04maximas 02-08-2019 07:02 AM

id check what user1 said than if those are good, check inner and outer tie rods, lower control arms or struts

Turbobink 02-08-2019 07:05 AM

Ensure your lug nuts are secure and properly torqued ...

Have you raised the front end and checked for wheel wobble?

04maximas 02-08-2019 07:10 AM

good point turbobink. just a suggestion if ya don't have a torque wrench, there 30 at Walmart. set it to 80 ft pounds, remove all the lug nuts than hand tighten them and do not use a impact to install them but instead use the torque wrench in the star pattern to torque them to nissans required 80 pounds of torque. do it to all 4 wheels

MadMax07SL 02-08-2019 08:06 AM

Perhaps bad wheel bearing. Easy to check, with the front wheels off the ground, grab top and bottom, try to push and pull, see if there's any play, Also with car in neutral give it a spin, listen and look around. Even with out excessive top to bottom play sometimes it can be a bad bearing, but it would have to hum at speed or diagnose another way.