6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Please Help Diagnose Front Driver Side Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please Help Diagnose Front Driver Side Noise

Longtime browser first post: I’ve owned an 03 Maxima since 2005. Last week I purchased a very well maintained 2007 Maxima SE from a reputable gentleman in our community. It was his wife’s car for the past 10 years. For the age it’s immaculate and it has been meticulously maintained. It came with 10 years of service records (maybe missing 5 or less records). No records from first owner (lease).

Issue: On cold starts (after the car has sat for 5+ hours) there is a popping, clicking, tapping sound coming from the front drivers side. It only occurs in drive and reverse at very low speeds (less than 10 mph). I can feel it through the brake and gas pedals. The sound isn’t too loud and it doesn’t feel harsh. Not jerky, just a tapping. The frequency of the sound/feel increases/ decreases with the rate of speed. The sound disappears at 5 mph. If I decelerate before the car is fully warmed up I can still hear/feel it but it isn’t as bad. Once I’ve driven a mile or two it disappears and doesn’t return during that driving session. It only returns on the next cold start (5+ hours later). When the clicking popping is occurring I can put the car in neutral and the noise stops. Noise is only present in drive and reverse within the first minute or two of driving.

CV Joint?: I don’t believe it is a CV joint because the noise occurs when driving straight and disappears quickly with no sounds at all once the car is being driven. In addition, I’ve taken it to a parking lot and whipped it around with the steering turned all the way in both directions and there is no popping sound. I’ve looked at the boots on the axle and both look good at a glance but I haven’t gotten under the car. Nothing appears to be leaking.

CVT?: I’m hopping it isn’t CVT transmission... I haven’t found a post that reports this sound as a symptom of a failing CVT so my fingers are crossed. I did my research on these transmissions and almost passed on the purchase due to some of the things I read. That said, I do not believe the 2007-08 Maxima was plagued with as many problems as other Nissan models of this era with the CVT.

Engine?: The engine is tip top and runs like a sewing machine. So I’m confident it isn’t the engine.

ABS?: ABS tapping popping has been mentioned but that is generally a single popping sound. The car makes the sound whether the brake pedal is pressed or not.

Any ideas or input is greatly appreciated. I’ve scoured all forums and the internet in general and I cannot find anything. In addition, I’m handy with a wrench so I’m familiar with most “general” auto issues. I reached out to previous owner and he says they never noticed this issue. Again, this is a man I trust so I do not believe there is any reason to doubt his word.

Last edited by MaximusPrime07; 06-15-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car is still making noise. Haven’t taken it in to a shop yet as there are no other issues. The noise persists but hasn’t gotten worse. I got under the car today to change the oil and inspected the area where the noise is coming from but I don’t see anything out of the ordinary. I feel confident this is an internal issue which gives me pause. I’m surprised no one else has experienced this. Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MaximusPrime07; 06-15-2019 at 03:47 PM.