7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Constructive Comments on 7th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM

There are only 2 things in my mind that this car should have.......

1. 6spd manual

2. Turning radius of a car this time, not a bus.(The 5.5 and 6th gen that I've owned were both bad and the 6th gen is definitely the worst. There are many suv's on the market that turn better and I'm sick of the 8 point turns to get out of tight spots.)

Other than that I do like how they have gone with a new look. The headlights look a bit funny but that just because no other car on the market has anything like them. Props for being a pioneer on that. Interior is great, needs a 3rd pedal. I do wonder what they are going to offer for a spoiler on this, I haven't seen one yet.

For my final thought, thank you for making it smaller and not bigger. I'm tired of every model year growing. The new sentra is almost as big as the 2nd gen maxima.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:42 PM

opinions opinions... we'll see how well the 7th gen sells.... Now the 7th gen will have heated and cooling driver seats? Yet another option not offered up for us Infiniti guys!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by jwaters943
It's curious to me that the majority of people who are finding fault w/ the new Maxima own a 6th-gen.
I like my 6G - but it took a mid-cycle nose job and major dash redesign to convince me. The 7G has grabbed my attention at first sight like no other Max has ever done. From my point of view, there is very little fault to find in the 7G. Biggest fault I can find is the massive excess of chrome, which cheapens and sissifies an otherwise classy yet aggressive presence.

As far as the 6G being an old persons car, the only old person characteristic (that THIS old person doesn't care for at all) of the 6G is its mushmobile suspension. I most look forward to determining if Nissan's talk about upgraded handling is justified.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Banned

As an owner of a 6th gen im completely happy with the looks of this new car. The front end stuck me as weird at first but I like it now. It is better looking to me than my 6th gen, inside and out...this car looks phenominal, it is not the look that is the problem...
This car would not get me to trade up for the following reasons:
-I am 4 payments away from owning my 6th gen and have 80k on it
-CVT
-FWD
-the 335i
-Biggest problem is the fact that this car will not go much faster 0-60 or qtr mile, I want a car that can pull atleast a 5.5 0-60, this car will not I assure you. This is all due to Nissan's fear of cannabalizing their G37, which is understandable.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
I think this generation maxima looks good enough to have a limited edition SE-R version. I'd say they make only 1000 of them and have a VQ37. The pricing would be around 37-40ish. Anybody think they would sell?

They did drop the i35 tuned engine in the 20th Anniversary Edition, so maybe there is hope for your proposal. By my math, this design will still be in it's "mid-years" when 2011 rolls around for the 30th anniversary...hmmmm? Enough time for them to roll in all this good feedback into some special edition baby for org members.

My feedback, while not the pure enthusiast that most are on this board. I like what I see thus far. I really was not too keen on the size and form of the 6th gen, and this "looks" better thus far. I know that overall sizing is almost the same, but the way it is presented just seems better. The car is by far more aggressive. I will reserve final judgement like most when I actually see it/drive it in person. Feedback from the auto mags will be interesting to hear.

The color issue? Maybe the burnt orange as an option yes, but I lean toward the fact that colors and such can also be economic decisions. We are entering what looks to be a bad few years and with gas going up and new car buying probably going down, I doubt Nissan wants to load up on anything too specialized for a mass production car (just a thought don't shoot me on this one). Same with the folks that wanted more interior gadgets and touch screens and the like. The price will soon skyrocket and it will be competing in a price range that it does not want to be in. Namely, with it's own brethren Infinity.

I do like the HP increase and gas mileage stability. Good move. CVT I have driven in a Murano and 06 Max and I like it. Not a manual guy here. I also like the body styling (liquid motion or whatever they call it) and the onboard storage. Who is going to plop an MP player in their cup holder when you can load it all on and forget about it? Good move. Believe it or not, I wish more manufacturers were supporting HD radio receivers. If they would, the format would take off more and the stations invested would keep cranking out new signals. If you haven't experienced it, it is great!

My biggest let down as a northeast driver would be no AWD. I know the RWD is reserved for the Inifinity's rightly so. However an AWD on the "best selling family sedan in the Northeast" as it was once monikered, would be a killer addition. Many folks I know have dropped to other lines (Audi) just for that feature and swear they'll never go back. Just something for Nissan to keep in mind. Again, maybe the economics and engineering of it made no sense.

Overall opinion = good job Nissan. Keep your ear to the Org for good feedback.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Chad Valk
They did drop the i35 tuned engine in the 20th Anniversary Edition, so maybe there is hope for your proposal. By my math, this design will still be in it's "mid-years" when 2011 rolls around for the 30th anniversary...hmmmm? Enough time for them to roll in all this good feedback into some special edition baby for org members.

My feedback, while not the pure enthusiast that most are on this board. I like what I see thus far. I really was not too keen on the size and form of the 6th gen, and this "looks" better thus far. I know that overall sizing is almost the same, but the way it is presented just seems better. The car is by far more aggressive. I will reserve final judgement like most when I actually see it/drive it in person. Feedback from the auto mags will be interesting to hear.

The color issue? Maybe the burnt orange as an option yes, but I lean toward the fact that colors and such can also be economic decisions. We are entering what looks to be a bad few years and with gas going up and new car buying probably going down, I doubt Nissan wants to load up on anything too specialized for a mass production car (just a thought don't shoot me on this one). Same with the folks that wanted more interior gadgets and touch screens and the like. The price will soon skyrocket and it will be competing in a price range that it does not want to be in. Namely, with it's own brethren Infinity.

I do like the HP increase and gas mileage stability. Good move. CVT I have driven in a Murano and 06 Max and I like it. Not a manual guy here. I also like the body styling (liquid motion or whatever they call it) and the onboard storage. Who is going to plop an MP player in their cup holder when you can load it all on and forget about it? Good move. Believe it or not, I wish more manufacturers were supporting HD radio receivers. If they would, the format would take off more and the stations invested would keep cranking out new signals. If you haven't experienced it, it is great!

My biggest let down as a northeast driver would be no AWD. I know the RWD is reserved for the Inifinity's rightly so. However an AWD on the "best selling family sedan in the Northeast" as it was once monikered, would be a killer addition. Many folks I know have dropped to other lines (Audi) just for that feature and swear they'll never go back. Just something for Nissan to keep in mind. Again, maybe the economics and engineering of it made no sense.

Overall opinion = good job Nissan. Keep your ear to the Org for good feedback.
Good thoughts... few comments/questions, though:
  • The AE has the I30 tuned engine, not I35, and this was only slightly different and offered only 5 additional HP. Dropping the 3.7L VQ in a limited edition Max would be a helluva bigger deal (but would be very nice!)
  • The built-in mass storage is nice but not nearly big enough to replace my (almost full) 60GB iPod.
  • You mentioned HD Radio... did I miss a spec somewhere that the 7G has it?... or are you just wishing for it?

Last edited by jcalabria; 03-25-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 AM

Some people, (like me) prefer front wheel drive. You have the drive wheels in your hands, its wierd, probably a love it or hate it kind of thing.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by perrymaxima
opinions opinions... we'll see how well the 7th gen sells.... Now the 7th gen will have heated and cooling driver seats? Yet another option not offered up for us Infiniti guys!
Really? I expected the 09 Maxima to have both front seats heated and cooled. As far as I can remember, the Avalon already offers that option.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
Good thoughts... few comments/questions, though:
  • The AE has the I30 tuned engine, not I35, and this was only slightly different and offered only 5 additional HP. Dropping the 3.7L VQ in a limited edition Max would be a helluva bigger deal (but would be very nice!)
  • The built-in mass storage is nice but not nearly big enough to replace my (almost full) 60GB iPod.
  • You mentioned HD Radio... did I miss a spec somewhere that the 7G has it?... or are you just wishing for it?

Thank you for bringing me back to the year 2001 correctly Yes I should have said I30. And yes dropping in the 3.7 would be a bigger deal. Just thinking outside the box that maybe a 30th edition would be something "different" from stock.

Wishing. I have not seen an HD radio speck on anything coming from factories yet. Here in CT the stations broadcasting HD have multiple channels providing various formats. Think DTV with mutiple channels or FREE satellite radio. With the XM.Sirius merger, free HD radio would be a nice add-in to the audio package on the Max.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hear what you are saying, but that's why I worry about Nissan. They shouldn't revert into a shell, cause thats what has done in other car companies (or other companies in general). Innovation and creativity leads to success.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 AM

Nissan, please do us a favor. I love that your company is targeting the Maxima as a 4DSC. However in your launch marketing campaign, don't beat us over the head with it. When I went to NYAS, all I heard was 4DSC this, 4DSC that. Don't go to fanboyish on us. Please show us, don't tell us. The beauty of the 3rd Gen was its sportiness and versatility without being beat over the head with it being called a 4DSC

On another note, after seeing more and more pictures (and in person), I think Nissan did a pretty good job on the Maxima. I would give them a B at the moment.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by bb700092
Really? I expected the 09 Maxima to have both front seats heated and cooled. As far as I can remember, the Avalon already offers that option.
It's just drivers for the Max. But seeing as this is the first model year out that can still change. Chances are, during the Mid-Model update it will likely be standard with other features that may come out initially as options.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Tha Snatcher

I like it
Old 03-25-2008, 09:52 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Thank you for bringing me back to the year 2001 correctly Yes I should have said I30. And yes dropping in the 3.7 would be a bigger deal. Just thinking outside the box that maybe a 30th edition would be something "different" from stock.

Wishing. I have not seen an HD radio speck on anything coming from factories yet. Here in CT the stations broadcasting HD have multiple channels providing various formats. Think DTV with mutiple channels or FREE satellite radio. With the XM.Sirius merger, free HD radio would be a nice add-in to the audio package on the Max.
Hadn't thought about the possibility of a 30th AE - keep thinking positively!

BMW/Mini and Ford offer or will soon offer factory HD radios.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Z

I don't understand where people see Altima in the 7th gen. Nothing about looks remotely like an Altima. The front-end of the Altima looks downright cheap compared to the curvaceous front of the Max.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by toucansma
However in your launch marketing campaign, don't beat us over the head with it. When I went to NYAS, all I heard was 4DSC this, 4DSC that. Don't go to fanboyish on us. Please show us, don't tell us.
Think about it, your average Jane and Joe doesn't know that the Maxima was once a 4DSC. The new Max was being launched at an Autoshow to "show" what they have... a 4DSC.

Seeing as the car is stationary, there's not much they can do to show you it's a 4DSC, so next best thing? Tell you all about it.

Just wait until the car gets some honest-to-goodness third-party reviews. This is, after all, just a launch.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
I don't understand where people see Altima in the 7th gen. Nothing about looks remotely like an Altima. The front-end of the Altima looks downright cheap compared to the curvaceous front of the Max.
Possibly from the dip in the trunk where it meets the bumper "step"

Although, i think the '09 more closely resembles the 6th gens rear end, less the chrome strip on the trunk lid.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Reading this review here:

http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/arc...ecapt.htm#more

make me want to run out to test drive this car & buy it. Can't wait for it to arrive at the dealership.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
The rear of the 09 Maxima is almost a cut & paste of the current Altima with the taillights from 350Z. See here for pics: http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showpo...7&postcount=11
Old 03-25-2008, 01:02 PM
2003SE

Nissan, you can't fool everyone with the new Maxima... You have neglected the Maxima again. The 3.7 liter engine goes to Infiniti. AWD goes to Infiniti. The good looks go to Infiniti. If you can't find anyone to design your cars properly, feel free to ask for help from .ORG members.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by 2003SE
Nissan, you can't fool everyone with the new Maxima... You have neglected the Maxima again. The 3.7 liter engine goes to Infiniti. AWD goes to Infiniti. The good looks go to Infiniti. If you can't find anyone to design your cars properly, feel free to ask for help from .ORG members.
I wonder if anyone here actually designs vehicles. So far all i've seen are people saying what shouldn't be, but nobody has come up to the plate to actually offer unique sketches or designs of how it should be. (lowering something, photoshopping new rims or blocking out the "L" in the headlights do not count as they are just band-aids to an existing design).
Old 03-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by bb700092
The rear of the 09 Maxima is almost a cut & paste of the current Altima with the taillights from 350Z. See here for pics: http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showpo...7&postcount=11
There are definite family traits in all of them, but i think they are distinctive enough to be different.
Attached Thumbnails Constructive Comments on 7th Gen Maxima-rear-comparison.jpg  
Old 03-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There's really nothing about the new Maxima that I don't like.. The outgoing model brought things up a notch in regards to it's luxuriousness. This one steps it up a notch while managing to look more sporty as well.. This is a really classy looking vehicle and I think it's going to turn a LOT of heads in person.....
Old 03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
You embarrass me.

I'm not a fan of the specs (power vs. weight) but I will admit seeing in person at NYIAS changed my opinion greatly. It looks lower and sleeker than a 6th gen. The only appearance attribute I didn't like was the extended reflector in the headlight, but hopefully BlueBatMobile could help with that, and you'd be all set. Now, would I ever buy one? No, for one simple reason. 4DSC made for the masses = no 6MT.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:23 AM

the 7gen max shouldn't be compared to the 6gen max, both cars have totally different design inside and out, i think peoplle should save there opinion until they see the 7gen in person and on the road
Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 AM

Personally, I think the specifications are impressive. Unfortunately, the design of the car is distasteful.

I think they should redesign the maxima into a more modern sleek version of the 4th generation maximas or the 5th generation maximas.
I will always believe that the 4th gen maximas are the best looking maximas despite their age and old school 9004 headlights (which can be fixed nowadays)

Anyone agree?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 AM
Banned

I really dont like those stupid chrome door handles (that afflict certain 6th gens by the choice of owners who lack proper taste for a sports sedan). I hope they arent standard, but appear to be.
Other Nissan products notwithstanding, the 6th gen looks unlike anything else on the road, the same can't be said for the 7th. Whether or not this is a good thing is totally subjective, but the insults of what kind of vehicle it looks like really dont apply to the 6th. For me, that is important, I like something that looks like no other vehicle.
Thr 7th is really good looking for sure, but it looks like a Volvo in the front, I see Buick Lucerne or Aurora from the side (its those lines over the rear doorhandles) and the back is a cross between a BMW 7 series and S class benz.
These are all not necessarilly bad things, beacuse it works....but it makes the car look a little bit familiar, which couldnt be said for the 6th. Most were appauled at it, but it was certainly something totally new and I happened to like it.
Im not in the market for another 4 door FWD car but if I was id give the 7th a shot if I never owned a 6th...for me though there is no point given there is no difference in performance.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 AM

These are my main issues.

The steering wheel doesn't look like it belongs.

PLEASE PLEASE stop with the orange. It is outdated. Many of you will not remember the Compaq "portable" suitcase size computer. It was cutting edge in the 80's. You guessed it....it had an orange display.

Both the passenger and driver should have gotten heated/cooled seats

Other then these issues I really like the car.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=95Max;6318714]

PLEASE PLEASE stop with the orange. It is outdated. Many of you will not remember the Compaq "portable" suitcase size computer. It was cutting edge in the 80's. You guessed it....it had an orange display.QUOTE]

Good point. I have always liked the white background of my '01. Looks good at night.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM

I know what you mean, I just meant that it was plastered all over the place and getting highly annoying. It seemed kinda fanboyish by Nissan. I meant show by winning awards, praise of owners/drivers, etc. I have no problem with them marketing it just seems they have gone a little overboard with it.

Originally Posted by soundmike
Think about it, your average Jane and Joe doesn't know that the Maxima was once a 4DSC. The new Max was being launched at an Autoshow to "show" what they have... a 4DSC.

Seeing as the car is stationary, there's not much they can do to show you it's a 4DSC, so next best thing? Tell you all about it.

Just wait until the car gets some honest-to-goodness third-party reviews. This is, after all, just a launch.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I really dont like those stupid chrome door handles (that afflict certain 6th gens by the choice of owners who lack proper taste for a sports sedan). I hope they arent standard, but appear to be.
Other Nissan products notwithstanding, the 6th gen looks unlike anything else on the road, the same can't be said for the 7th. Whether or not this is a good thing is totally subjective, but the insults of what kind of vehicle it looks like really dont apply to the 6th. For me, that is important, I like something that looks like no other vehicle.
Thr 7th is really good looking for sure, but it looks like a Volvo in the front, I see Buick Lucerne or Aurora from the side (its those lines over the rear doorhandles) and the back is a cross between a BMW 7 series and S class benz.
These are all not necessarilly bad things, beacuse it works....but it makes the car look a little bit familiar, which couldnt be said for the 6th. Most were appauled at it, but it was certainly something totally new and I happened to like it.
Im not in the market for another 4 door FWD car but if I was id give the 7th a shot if I never owned a 6th...for me though there is no point given there is no difference in performance.

I have to give you that one bro, regardless of the negativity (mostly from 5th Gen Max owners and below) I can drive for months and never see a car that even looks close to my 6th gen and I get nothing but props. The new Alti is everywhere which makes them less unique, I don't even turn my head anymore when one goes by but I can always spot a 6th Gen because of the unique look. Glad I can still smoke every new Alti which keeps me in a different class where the Max belongs!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 PM

looks damn nice, but i think people are gonna get sick of it after a while
Old 03-26-2008, 06:13 PM
2003SE

^^
I'm in agreement with you.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I have to give you that one bro, regardless of the negativity (mostly from 5th Gen Max owners and below) I can drive for months and never see a car that even looks close to my 6th gen and I get nothing but props. The new Alti is everywhere which makes them less unique, I don't even turn my head anymore when one goes by but I can always spot a 6th Gen because of the unique look. Glad I can still smoke every new Alti which keeps me in a different class where the Max belongs!!!
You have a special intake so you dont count.

But I will go out on a limb and say the 7th gen is a high 13 second car even with the CVT....
Old 03-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by riceyasian86
Personally, I think the specifications are impressive. Unfortunately, the design of the car is distasteful.

I think they should redesign the maxima into a more modern sleek version of the 4th generation maximas or the 5th generation maximas.
I will always believe that the 4th gen maximas are the best looking maximas despite their age and old school 9004 headlights (which can be fixed nowadays)

Anyone agree?

The reality is the Max WILL NEVER, EVER resemble any 5th Gen Max and below again. The newer the Max gets, the cheaper the older gens look, sorry strictly my opinion...
Old 03-26-2008, 07:41 PM

Damn the steering wheel is asymmetrical! I'm not sure what to think of that. I don't think I know of any other car that has an asymmetrical steering wheel.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
fixed

MUCH BETTER - who was the moron who thought that > design looked good?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 PM

^^^ sits high
Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thanatos
i just dont care for it that much. i perfure the 5/5.5 gens my self. i'll gets me one soon.
yeah i have to agree, while i do think it turned out better than the spyshots, i just think the 5/5.5 gens look better, maybe it have to grow on me
Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
The reality is the Max WILL NEVER, EVER resemble any 5th Gen Max and below again. The newer the Max gets, the cheaper the older gens look, sorry strictly my opinion...
wouldn't this now put yours in the same class???

Quick Reply: Constructive Comments on 7th Gen Maxima