Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   What transmission would you have liked in the 09 Maxima? (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/557685-what-transmission-would-you-have-liked-09-maxima.html)

Jopa416 03-25-2008 07:23 PM

For those who need a manual trans

Unless Nissan changes their minds and offers a 6 speed manual in the 2009 model year these are the options, for the money, as I see them.

For about $30K Sticker you can get a loaded up Honda Accord Coupe with a 6 Cyl, 6 Speed Manual.

For about $40K Sticker you can get a loaded up Acura TL-S with a 6 Cyl, 6 Speed Manual.

I gotta believe that a loaded Max will fall in this range.

Of course there are other cars that offer manuals, such as BMW 3 Series, but they climb up into (and past) the 40's pretty quick & except for the super expensive M models I am not impressed by BMW.

For those who don't like manuals you can get whatever you want. Lucky you.

STARR 03-26-2008 12:35 AM

The 7th Gen looks great, but I really hope it can perform as well or better as an Acura TL-S 6MT, the Acura can out handle and out perform the G35coupe and 350Z

2k2PhatMax 03-26-2008 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by STARR (Post 6318446)
The 7th Gen looks great, but I really hope it can perform as well or better as an Acura TL-S 6MT, the Acura can out handle and out perform the G35coupe and 350Z

:slap::rofl:
That has to be a joke....

I just dont understand why they dont make a manual option in some of these car....

xx-Marshall-xx 03-26-2008 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2PhatMax (Post 6318630)
I just dont understand why they dont make a manual option in some of these cars....

Thats a fact

jwaters943 03-26-2008 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2PhatMax (Post 6318630)
:slap::rofl:
That has to be a joke....

I just dont understand why they dont make a manual option in some of these car....

While the TL-S may not "feel" as good at the limit compared to it's more balanced RWD competition, it certainly holds it's own against the G sedan. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than the G37 coupe or 350Z though. Still, it's about the best high-performance FWD sedan I can think of.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4459
http://forums.thecarlounge.net/zerothread?id=3177228

jwaters943 03-26-2008 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jopa416 (Post 6318048)
Unless Nissan changes their minds and offers a 6 speed manual in the 2009 model year these are the options, for the money, as I see them.

For about $30K Sticker you can get a loaded up Honda Accord Coupe with a 6 Cyl, 6 Speed Manual.

For about $40K Sticker you can get a loaded up Acura TL-S with a 6 Cyl, 6 Speed Manual.

Or you could just stay with Nissan/Infiniti and get a G35. :)

soundmike 03-26-2008 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jopa416 (Post 6318048)

Sounds to me like you're saying it doesn't really matter what vehicle Nissan puts out as long as it has a 6-spd. Vehicle class be damned.

Jopa416 03-26-2008 12:44 PM

Infiniti

Originally Posted by jwaters943 (Post 6318867)
Or you could just stay with Nissan/Infiniti and get a G35. :)

I agree, you could go with the Infiniti. The coupe is beautiful, but I don't really like the look of the sedan.

Also, the G35 Coupe will cost about $10,000 more than a Honda Accord Coupe with a 6 cyl, 6 speed manual. Is it really 10 K better? I don't profess to know, I am just asking.

Jopa416 03-26-2008 12:47 PM

I also forgot about the Altima Coupe. You can get a 6 Speed manual in that car too. It is a good looking car as well.

Maxim(a)SerjVQ 03-26-2008 12:56 PM

anyone thought about waiting a year for an off-lease 09, then grabbing a 6-speed from an 07+ altima and trying a swap? they're supposed to both be on the D platform now, and it wouldnt be a huge stretch, would it? about the hardest part is properly redoing the center console to accommidate the stir stick, and nabbing one off-lease should offset the cost of the tranny.

NYPD-Arnold 03-26-2008 01:25 PM

A TL will never handle like a Z. Just no.

MattyBlacc 03-26-2008 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold (Post 6319332)

werd yo.

ptviperz 03-27-2008 09:22 AM

I don't understand why you guys who want RWD and 6 speed don't look at the G35S. Great looking and performing sedan with a beautiful Infiniti interior. That's my next car fo sho. Infinti FTMFW!!

STARR 03-27-2008 09:29 AM

I've searched for stats and what I'm finding put the Acura TL-S 6MT right behind the 350Z and G35c (2003 models), nothing I find says it beats them but I guess thats what I get for believing Acura owners, I like Acura but after the OP started saying the TL-S with the 6MT can take out 335 and hang with the new M3 he sort of lost everyone.

STARR 03-27-2008 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold (Post 6319332)

at 1 time I would have agreed with that but years of experience have taught me that a car has nothing to do with how it handles, it's all up to the driver:D way to many times I have seen cars drive like they where on a time track only to hit an exit/on ramp and take it like a they had bald tires in the rain:) power and straight line speed is great but fling through the twisties is 10x better

edit: in my 06 I have out driven 350Z, but the 350 driver usually accelerates on the straight and passes on the right, what kind of talent does that take

bb700092 03-27-2008 10:02 AM

What transmission would you have liked in the 09 Maxima?

Many of us want a manual transmission in the 09 Maxima, especially since it is being touted as the "return of the 4DSC". However, it seems Nissan is sold on the CVT, so it is trying to make the CVT sporty for the 09 Maxima. And then there is the conventional 4/5/6/7-speed automatic transmission that is maybe the most widely used transmission in vehicles today. This poll is to see what percentage of Maxima enthusiasts yearn for which transmission in their new beloved Maxima.

Feel free to comment as you wish.

bb700092 03-27-2008 10:08 AM

I would vote for the CVT. I have driven mostly conventional automatics. I have seldom driven a manual. I love the CVT in my 07 Maxima. If Nissan has really upgraded it and made it sporty, as they say in the 09 Maxima, I am all for it.

Maxim(a)SerjVQ 03-27-2008 10:11 AM

I don't need a stir stick to get the most out of a vehicle. I admit, while it is alot of fun, when i REALLY get focused (like when i race) I don't even put thought into anything secondary. I've been told when I've played racing games like Rallisport challange, my breathing changes to a point where it seems like I'm either in a coma or a hypnotic trance. I would ultimately preffer a great 6-speed auto; like the new one Ford/GM co-developed. I'd just rather have...pretty much everything else from nissan.

machinehead131 03-27-2008 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by STARR (Post 6321156)
at 1 time I would have agreed with that but years of experience have taught me that a car has nothing to do with how it handles, it's all up to the driver:D way to many times I have seen cars drive like they where on a time track only to hit an exit/on ramp and take it like a they had bald tires in the rain:) power and straight line speed is great but fling through the twisties is 10x better

edit: in my 06 I have out driven 350Z, but the 350 driver usually accelerates on the straight and passes on the right, what kind of talent does that take

We are comparing cars not drivers.

jcalabria 03-27-2008 10:29 AM

I really wish they would offer them all so everyone could have their choice and we could all be just one big happy family. :rolleyes:

I always was a manual guy and feel for those who realy, realy, realy feel that their enjoyment of driving is tied to rowing that gear lever. There are probably very few technical obstacles to fitting the Max once again with an MT, but the economics of certifying the new platform/powertain make that unlikely (unless the next Altima revision ends up with the same engine and they can share certifications once again).

I also love a good responsive & crisp-shifting multi-speed automatic, but have driven few recent examples that fit the "responsive & crisp-shifting" criteria... most try way too hard to hide the shifts and be "buttery smooth" while using torque (engine timing or throttle) management to further hide the shift and prevent the transmission from grenading. To me, this all makes for slow mushy shifts and you can feel the engine bogging slightly during the shift. Just awful.

Which leads me to the CVT. I was just as skeptical as many of you at first, but have come to terms with it and appreciate what it can do and definitely prefer it over the current crop of stepped automatics. If and when the time comes that I get my hip replaced and once again can consider a manual, I might do that. Until then I am quite happy with my 6G CVT and expect the 7G CVT to be even better.

BTW, it will be VERY interesting to see what transmission(s) the diesel option will bring with it. I seriously doubt that the CVT will handle the torque that puppy will be throwing at it.

Maxim(a)SerjVQ 03-27-2008 10:34 AM

jcalabria; I agree with you about the crisp-shifting criteria. the Z/G tranny is a perfect example in my mind, but it would be a pain in the rear to engineer that into a FWD format, and from the reviews I've seen of the 6-speed in the altima, it sounds like it could use a little work. I posted in the manual tranny thread that it would be the best immediate solution is to see if a swap from an altima to a max would work. same engine, same platform now, i really don't see it being a too big of a stretch.

jcalabria 03-27-2008 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Maxim(a)SerjVQ (Post 6321270)
jcalabria; I agree with you about the crisp-shifting criteria. the Z/G tranny is a perfect example in my mind, but it would be a pain in the rear to engineer that into a FWD format, and from the reviews I've seen of the 6-speed in the altima, it sounds like it could use a little work. I posted in the manual tranny thread that it would be the best immediate solution is to see if a swap from an altima to a max would work. same engine, same platform now, i really don't see it being a too big of a stretch.

I actually liked the shift quality in my 4Gs... very quick responsive shifts. The '00 tranny was a disaster. Dealer said it was normal... I called bullchit but that didn't get me anywhere. They later came out with a TSB about it, but I was near the end of the lease and didn't care too much. The '03 was significantly better but still shy of "good". I've only driven one 6G with 5AT and was not overly impressed.

I know I have many fewer knots in my stomach from the CVT than I would have from a sloppy shifting AT. I loved virtually everything about my S60T5 except the POS Aisin 5AT. Talk about overmanaged... it took over a second to complete a shift, the engine was torque limited to 200 lb-ft in 1st and 2nd gears, and you could feel the engine bog significantly beyond that during 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. The damn thing even used to shift itself into neutral at traffic lights (disabled in a later software update). Even in manual mode you had to initiate a shift at 4500rpm to get it to shift at redline. It was a perfect example of a transmission ruining an otherwise great car. Dealer always found everything "within spec" - ended up selling it because I couldn't stand the way it shifted. :sadwavey:

syntax182 03-27-2008 11:27 AM

I think they should offer CVT and 6-speed m/t. CVT should replace the Conventional Auto Transmission, not both 6-speed and auto.

mcle0144 03-27-2008 11:36 AM

Performance transmission= No manual?

I feel like people like me must be an endangered species. I'm a little disappointed in the fact that (at least to my knowledge) there is no mention of a manual transmission option for the new max. I guess we're supposed to be satisfied with paddle shifters. I realize that auto-tranny technology is becoming increasingly more sophisticated and in more than a few cases quicker than shiftinig with a manual, but what about the fun factor? Let me know what you guys think.

nalc 03-27-2008 01:11 PM

I really want to drive the CVT and see what it's like.

The reason I prefer MT over AT isn't because I like to exercise my left foot, it's because I get more immediate throttle response because I have a solid, not viscous, coupling of engine to transmission. I can be in gear at 3krpm and without downshifting or anything, just push the pedal down and the feel the car start to pull. I also like the fact that when I shift, I can control when I shift.

My dad's Mazda6s has this ****ty 6AT... it upshifts too quick, so that you'll be doing 30mph in 6th gear at barely above idle and if you punched it at that speed, it would take a few seconds to downshift to like 2nd, then it would keep you at the redline in 2nd without shifting up to 3rd for longer than it needed to, then as soon as you let off the gas it would shift back up to 5th or 6th. It technically had 35 more horses than my 5MT max, but it felt like it had 35 less. It didn't have nearly enough low-end torque to be able to handle the really high gears that the transmission liked to shift into.

The only AT I really liked was the THM 200-4R in my Oldsmobile wagon. It never skipped gears or did weird **** like that, it had tall gears but what counted was that the motor was built for low-end torque, so at pretty much any speed below 50, you could stomp it and the car would start to pull, even if it was in a high gear. Obviously, it was a 5,000 pound car with a 140 horsepower motor, so it didn't accelerate that great, but I never felt like the auto was sapping power like I do with the Mazda6.

I don't hold much sentimental value to kicking a third pedal every time I want to change gears... if the CVT in Ds mode can provide all the same throttle response and give you as much control as a regular MT, I have nothing against it.

NYPD-Arnold 03-27-2008 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by STARR (Post 6321156)

Please stop. Now.

reb 03-27-2008 01:36 PM

Although the CVT is not bad, I voted for the automatic due to proven longetivity.

jcalabria 03-27-2008 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by nalc (Post 6321617)
I really want to drive the CVT and see what it's like.

The reason I prefer MT over AT isn't because I like to exercise my left foot, it's because I get more immediate throttle response because I have a solid, not viscous, coupling of engine to transmission. I can be in gear at 3krpm and without downshifting or anything, just push the pedal down and the feel the car start to pull. I also like the fact that when I shift, I can control when I shift.

My dad's Mazda6s has this ****ty 6AT... it upshifts too quick, so that you'll be doing 30mph in 6th gear at barely above idle and if you punched it at that speed, it would take a few seconds to downshift to like 2nd, then it would keep you at the redline in 2nd without shifting up to 3rd for longer than it needed to, then as soon as you let off the gas it would shift back up to 5th or 6th. It technically had 35 more horses than my 5MT max, but it felt like it had 35 less. It didn't have nearly enough low-end torque to be able to handle the really high gears that the transmission liked to shift into.

The only AT I really liked was the THM 200-4R in my Oldsmobile wagon. It never skipped gears or did weird **** like that, it had tall gears but what counted was that the motor was built for low-end torque, so at pretty much any speed below 50, you could stomp it and the car would start to pull, even if it was in a high gear. Obviously, it was a 5,000 pound car with a 140 horsepower motor, so it didn't accelerate that great, but I never felt like the auto was sapping power like I do with the Mazda6.

I don't hold much sentimental value to kicking a third pedal every time I want to change gears... if the CVT in Ds mode can provide all the same throttle response and give you as much control as a regular MT, I have nothing against it.

One of the things I like about the CVT is that its throttle response and overall driveline feel is much more like a manual than it is a conventional automatic. The torque converter locks up at a very low speed and STAYS locked up until just before you come to a stop, regardless of throttle position - this is very unlike the TC behavior with most conventional automatics. You even sense that slight engine braking feel that you get with a manual - even in "high gear". You never get that free-wheelin feeling you get when you coast in a regular AT.

There is a bit of a learning curve to adapt to the notion that the right pedal is controlling both throttle and gear ratio - remember that neither the tranny nor the throttle are directly connected to the pedal, you are merely indicating your intentions to the ECM/TCM and it decides what the best combination of both is. Subtle changes in pedal pressure and/or the rate at which you press the pedal can greatly effect what the computer decides to do - accelerate the engine, accelerate the tranny, or accelerate BOTH. You can cause a ratio shift (or arrest one in progress) with only the slightest change in pedal pressure. Once you get the hang of it you can make the car do some pretty neat things. Strong acceleration without the CVT drone... or economical city/suburban driving that borders almost on electric car quiet and smoothness.

Its not nearly as complicated as I might be making it sound... you just have to be the type of driver that is tuned in to what his car is actually doing underneath you. If you are on this org, chances are you are that type of driver.

As far as responsiveness goes, there is never any of that delay you noted in the Mazda. If you let it it will call for a very tall ratio and very low engine speeds... this is great for economy, but squeeze the pedal and it just goes - instantly.

seby86 03-27-2008 05:28 PM

i concur. i cant imagine switching to auto... it would be weird.

bigpulve+ 03-27-2008 05:42 PM

Yet another mention of no manual...we get it....

DrunkieTheBear 03-27-2008 10:38 PM

yea honestly give it a rest. So what no manual, have you driven a car with a CVT or paddle shifters, its actually not that bad.

Should I also mention the percentage of power loss from crank to wheels is less with a CVT then said manual?

LA02MAX 03-28-2008 07:53 AM

i really don't understand what the big surprise is...they did away with the manual in 2007. Did you REALLY think it would come back?

DandyMax 03-28-2008 08:18 AM

It's not a surprise of course but I agree with the OP. There's something to be said for driving feel and experience. And you just can't get the same thing with CVT's, autos, paddles etc as with a clutch pedal and a gated shifter. Would the car be a little bit slower with a traditional manual, maybe but I'd trade that for the driving feel. And if you can slam gears pretty quick on a manual you won't be too far behind an auto anyway... :wall:

LA02MAX 03-28-2008 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DandyMax (Post 6323707)
It's not a surprise of course but I agree with the OP. There's something to be said for driving feel and experience. And you just can't get the same thing with CVT's, autos, paddles etc as with a clutch pedal and a gated shifter. Would the car be a little bit slower with a traditional manual, maybe but I'd trade that for the driving feel. And if you can slam gears pretty quick on a manual you won't be too far behind an auto anyway... :wall:

See, 5 years ago if this were to happen I would have totally agreed with you. However, today there are so many options out there that I really don't understand the fuss about not including a manual on a maxima. The altima offers more options than anyone should need, and IMO is a very logical successor to the 5th gen. It offers a manual and it's priced right where the 5.5 gen was (I can clearly remember the fully loaded price of a 2003 maxima being $32,240, don't ask me why. haha) You want something a little more? Go with the G35. A fully loaded one costs $3k more than a fully loaded maxima ($36k vs $39k) and comes with more options, a nicer interior, and a lot more 'sport'. If you want a car that has driving feel and is fun to take out on a road course, a new maxima just isn't for you....even my 5.5 gen 6-speed maxima isn't that fun to drive hard in comparison to a lot of the current competition. However, I'm sure the new maxima will make a very nice daily driver. If it's anything like the upgrade from the 3rd to 4th gen altima, it should be very quiet, smooth, and have a nice quality interior. It has a lot of options and I'm fairly certain that it'll scoot pretty well to get you on the interstate. For ~$35k loaded, that's not a bad bit of characteristics for a lot of drivers out there...

STARR 03-28-2008 03:21 PM

Going back to the 6.5 gen it would have been interesting to see an SL w/CVT, an SE w/5AT and an SE with the optional 6MT, from everything I have read the low sales figures put an end to the manual, but Nissan should just do like BMW and build them and then just give them away at deep discounts:D

I have not really researched CVT but Ford 500 switched to a 6AT and some GM vehicles switch from CVT to autos

jordandalley 03-28-2008 04:37 PM

Get used to it guys. In Aussie, we havent had a manual maxima since the 4th gen. Even they were rare.

mcle0144 03-28-2008 06:29 PM

Okay, well let me just apologize for continuing to make a big deal out of the whole manual transmission thing. But I just felt that if they were trying to recapture the essence of the 4DSC, with an invigorating driving experience, etc., then yes, that did cause me to hold out hope for a manual transmission. Paddle shifted transmissions (which I have driven) may now be superior with modern technology, but I was referring more to the driving experience that separated the original 3rd gen 4dsc from its competition back in the early 90's. And I realize that G35's and sedans comparable to the G35 are superior in different ways, but I am referring strictly to the front drive competition. Thank you for your responses, though.

bb700092 03-28-2008 06:51 PM

The Prius and Civic Hybrid come with CVT. I think Nissan's persistence with CVT is mainly due to fuel economy concerns. If the parasitic losses in a CVT can be eliminated, I think CVT will be the most fuel efficient transmission, at least theoretically. Don't you think so?

But I do agree with STARR that Nissan could have kept the manual transmission optional. Since the Maxima used to have it and then Nissan took it away, shows the number of customers weren't too many. This poll shows the opposite though :D

seby86 03-28-2008 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by mcle0144 (Post 6325059)
Okay, well let me just apologize for continuing to make a big deal out of the whole manual transmission thing. But I just felt that if they were trying to recapture the essence of the 4DSC, with an invigorating driving experience, etc., then yes, that did cause me to hold out hope for a manual transmission. Paddle shifted transmissions (which I have driven) may now be superior with modern technology, but I was referring more to the driving experience that separated the original 3rd gen 4dsc from its competition back in the early 90's. And I realize that G35's and sedans comparable to the G35 are superior in different ways, but I am referring strictly to the front drive competition. Thank you for your responses, though.

that is well said. and i agree with you. but nissan just seems to have decided that offering both of their sedans with a 6mt option wasnt suitable for them and it went to the Altima instead, leaving the maxima as their "sporty" flagship sedan. however, the fourdoor"sports"car (4dsc) designation on this rather large vehicle just doesnt seem like the proper term w/o offering "sports car" options such as a shift it yourself (yes, with clutch and everything)tranny. but o well. i saw this coming. no one wants to use a clutch anymore....thats the best part IMO, but there are just not enough purest drivers like us anymore to justify offering a 6mt version on this car.

boondoxmax 03-28-2008 08:58 PM

I thing nissan will offer a manual on the 7th gen but just not at release. The problem is so few people now a days can drive a manual that there becoming rare. I won't buy another max unless it has a manual. Subaru here I come.....