7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Trading 2k4 Murano > 2k9 Max...or 2k3 M5

Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by doublea
I believe the 09 max is rated at 22 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway...
Where did you get that info?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:05 PM

Under the old system, the new Maxima would probably have been rated at 22/29, but under the new system, those numbers will probably be lower; maybe around 20 or 21 in city driving and 26 or 27 highway. We will know for sure as soon as the official detailed brochures are out.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by bb700092
Where did you get that info?
Cant remember where but I'll try to find that info once my dad funeral are over.

Cheers

AA
Old 05-11-2008, 12:51 PM

doublea - My sympathy for the loss of your Dad. Lost my Dad Christmas Eve 27 years ago, and still hurt over it. Losing a parent or child is very tough.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

doublea, I'm sorry for you and your family about the loss of your father; my deepest condolences. I will pray for you and for your dad.

bonz
Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 AM

Thank you all for the good words, the funeral were really touching. I had the chance to meet some family member that I've never met in my life. It was good to see them all. All I can say, my dad standed up until the last minute and he passed away at the moment he has decided, he ended his life by taking care of everything, all his paper where in perfect order. I'll never forget how he was able to manage all the pains he went thrue, he never complained and leaved us with a smile on his face I hope I'll have his courage when my turn come.

I really appreciated each and every good words I got from you guys, I'd like to express my gratitude and love to all of you.

I'll talk you soon.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:13 AM

M5 6spd > 2K9 Max autogayness

YOU DECIDE!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Dear Mrs. Stasiu,

I regret to inform you that your son Super lacks self-control, pitches tantrums when he doesn't get his way, and does not play well with others. It is my hope you will be able to somehow lessen his antagonism so that we can work with him, especially in the area of his insensitivity toward auto trannies.

Super needs to understand that auto trannies are the best choice for 95% of drivers. This is borne out by the fact that, when given the choice, 95% of Maxima buyers opted for auto trannies. Super must have missed this lesson during his pre-K years.

Thank you for your kind attention to this problem.

Sincerely,

Super's kindergarten teacher.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 AM

^^lol WTF????? ah nvm
Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 AM

SuperStasiu - MAXIMIZING usage of the FOUR different ways of using the normal or sport mode, tiptronic steering column paddle-equipped '09 Maxima CVT will require more intelligence than simply shifting through the gears of a manual tranny, which both my kids could do very well at age 15, and which I had no problem doing at age 13 (back in the 1940s).

But you are absolutely right that many drivers who take their driving seriously would like to have a manual available if the Max is to truly qualify as a '4DSC'.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Project Ruby......

well this is no contest. No Maxima will ever compare to the power of ///M. M5 hands down, why even bother test driving a '09.

FWD
CVT Auto
290HP
V6
/\

///M Power
400HP
Style and Pimpness
RWD/6spd Manual
Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
well this is no contest. No Maxima will ever compare to the power of ///M. M5 hands down, why even bother test driving a '09.

FWD
CVT Auto
290HP
V6
/\

///M Power
400HP
Style and Pimpness
RWD/6spd Manual
exactly dam i dont think i needed this much explaining lol
Old 05-22-2008, 04:25 PM

german > jap
Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 PM

Libz - Matter of opinion. If reliability is an important factor, then jap > german. If money is important, then jap still > german. Styling is a matter of preference, and in styling, I lean toward jap > german.

But each of us has their own preferences.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 AM

I'm not going to buy a 09 max, after reading some infos about the new renault 3.0 l diesel engine that will go in the 2010 max ( 261 HP 440Lbs torque ) this engine has very low emission. I will definitely test drive the 09 but I'm going to wait until next year before I buy any new car.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Dear Mrs. Stasiu,

I regret to inform you that your son Super lacks self-control, pitches tantrums when he doesn't get his way, and does not play well with others. It is my hope you will be able to somehow lessen his antagonism so that we can work with him, especially in the area of his insensitivity toward auto trannies.

Super needs to understand that auto trannies are the best choice for 95% of drivers. This is borne out by the fact that, when given the choice, 95% of Maxima buyers opted for auto trannies. Super must have missed this lesson during his pre-K years.

Thank you for your kind attention to this problem.

Sincerely,

Super's kindergarten teacher.
do i detect a graduate of the school of Big nutts mcgurrdy?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:27 PM

I'm not going to buy a 09 max, after reading some infos about the new renault 3.0 l diesel engine that will go in the 2010 max ( 261 HP 440Lbs torque ) this engine has very low emission. I will definitely test drive the 09 but I'm going to wait until next year before I buy any new car.
i went to go look at one today and i would have to agree with you on this. in person that front end is just killing it for me. but i still like it overall.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 AM

Ditto. In fact, I am looking for an M5 right now. I'm tired of my o1 Max. The darn thing is falling apart.

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
I'd go for the 03 M5
Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 AM

Nissan keeps short changing the Maxima. Why this car is not at 300+hp baffles me. The 5th gen (to me) is the best Maxima and then the 6th gen. I really think they need new innovative designers who can create a car to deserve instead of this crap to accept. The 09 looks ; the only half decent look is the dual exhaust. Everything else just looks like an Altima or something.

Originally Posted by Blackwind
i went to go look at one today and i would have to agree with you on this. in person that front end is just killing it for me. but i still like it overall.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by @NgRyM@XiM@
Nissan keeps short changing the Maxima. Why this car is not at 300+hp baffles me. The 5th gen (to me) is the best Maxima and then the 6th gen. I really think they need new innovative designers who can create a car to deserve instead of this crap to accept. The 09 looks ; the only half decent look is the dual exhaust. Everything else just looks like an Altima or something.
Under the government system used until the '08s arrived, the '09 Maxima WOULD be at 300 HP. It has ample HP for any reasonable need. Remember that the Maxima's primary purpose is to be a sporty-looking family sedan. As the price of fuel rises, more and more people are opting for LESS HP and better fuel efficiency. Nissan has done a superb job in getting 35 more HP AND better fuel efficiency out of the same engine for the '09.

You may not like the new, shorter, wider, lower, more athletic look of the '09, and I will grant you it doesn't look very good in pictures. But you are one of the very few who have taken the time to examine this car in person and not been imprerssed with its very good looks. You may be the FIRST to see this car in person and even have one passing thought about any connection to the Altima. The ship known as the 'Altima/Maxima lookalike' has sailed, and will never return.

From your post, one might think you had not even checked the new Maxima out in person yet. But then everyone has slightly different taste . . .
Old 07-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think the new Maxima looks awesome.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the response bud. I have checked it out after writing that post. Unfortunately, my thoughts and opinion does not change. I am unimpressed with it's new look and features. And because of such, I am currently on the market for an M5

Again, thanks for your post bud. Every car can not make every person happy.

Under the government system used until the '08s arrived, the '09 Maxima WOULD be at 300 HP. It has ample HP for any reasonable need. Remember that the Maxima's primary purpose is to be a sporty-looking family sedan. As the price of fuel rises, more and more people are opting for LESS HP and better fuel efficiency. Nissan has done a superb job in getting 35 more HP AND better fuel efficiency out of the same engine for the '09.

You may not like the new, shorter, wider, lower, more athletic look of the '09, and I will grant you it doesn't look very good in pictures. But you are one of the very few who have taken the time to examine this car in person and not been imprerssed with its very good looks. You may be the FIRST to see this car in person and even have one passing thought about any connection to the Altima. The ship known as the 'Altima/Maxima lookalike' has sailed, and will never return.

From your post, one might think you had not even checked the new Maxima out in person yet. But then everyone has slightly different taste . . .
Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM

Just got back from a week vacation and my cousin who own a 2k6 M5 spent the week with us at the chalet up in the north, we where both assigned to the " grocery getting " I mean we literally had a blast with the M5, this car simply amazed me every time I drove it. After being spoiled with the M5 the 2k9 maxima pretty much disappeared from my mind. I have to admit that the 2k6 M5 is really growing strong on me now, but depending on the cash flow next year I may decide to wait a little more and get the 2006 instead of the 2003.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:04 PM

With all this M5 talk, I have an honest question - Can an '09 M5 be driven off the dealer's lot for the same price as the '09 Maxima (around $30K base, $35K with Sport package, $36K with premium package, all of which will drop toward invoice over then next few months), or are we comparing apples and oranges here?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:45 PM

i have this to say about the 09. if you dont drive this car you will not understand it. i just test drove a sv and this car is what the maxima should have been all along. my hands were shaking after the test. i have never been in a car that has made my hands shake. the car is awsome the interior is a perfect 10! power 10! i just have the small gripes about the same small things that everyone else has on the exterior.

but you really need to give this car a good look.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:49 PM

there is no way a fwd sedan will handle as well as a rwd, it's just no comparison.
I say go for M5, i have no problem with buying used cars and if you feel the same and want to get your moneys worth, go for it.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:25 PM

Gotta chime in here,

I'd also get the M5 over the Maxima. I didn't see anyone mention "class" yet. The BMW's are definitely more classy than the Nissan's. Fact of life. I agree BMW reliability is terrible, I have secondhand experience on this. However, the car when running right (truth be told, technically they are "reliable", they just have a bunch of over-engineered problems) is awesome. Worth any hassle it may give you compared to say, a new Japanese car. The fact is, BMW service will make it up to you, they usually pamper their customers for even the most minor issues.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed whooping up on my boss' 330i w/"M" Sport Package with my old 3.5 swapped Maxima. Even though my Max would pull the BMW pretty good in a straight line the BMW was always more rewarding to drive. The BMW FELT faster, I was so surprised to see my Maxima pull so hard on it...but the Maxima is just a soft FWD car no matter how big and powerful the motor is. Balanced, classy BMW for me if I had the money!

BTW, I am talking about new Maxima versus used M5. I know, not apples to apples, but that's the point!

Last edited by made in china; 07-21-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Wow! My cousin from Texas came by today, and let me drive his Maybach! That is some car! I felt like a KING driving that Maybach! Goodbye Maxima. I'm saving my money for a Maybach. I have a hundred thousand saved up, so a few more hundred thousand, and I'm driving a Maybach! Why should I waste my money on a Maxima, when I can drive a Maybach? The Maybach has it all over the Maxima in prestige. In fact, for even less money than the Maybach, I could drive a new M5. But then several here have already mentioned the M5.

Of course neither the Maybach or M5 (new or used) are FWD passenger sedans, which would be vehicles that are more comparable to the Maxima. And neither is as reliable as the Maxima. Bought new, neither is remotely in the price ball park with the Maxima. Bought used, the manufacturer's warranty is either gone or almost so on both. But what the heck? Might as well go for the moon. We only live once.

;<)
Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 AM

I never wanted to compare the Maxima to an M5, but it came all along since those are the only cars I seem to consider. I already own a 2k1 maxima which is in pristine condition, I didn't drove the car for the last 2 years since it has been sitting in my garage waiting to be pumped up. My reflexion at the time I wrote this thread was that my Murano is coming to end of lease in august and I need another car to daily commute. Because I have owned several Maxima, I always considered the possibility of owning another one, or at least give it a try, but when I was doing research on the car price and functionality I came across the fact that for the same money I could buy a 2003 M5 with 30-50K miles. The M5 where selling around 89K in 2002-2003 give or take few G. Now you can get those car for 30-40G and sometime less, I've saw few in the high 20's. I mean this car has it all and for a reasonable price, the only draw back is the gas price but it wouldn't be that different from the Murano wich is not that gas savy. At last it all came down to the fact that the 2k1 I'm building right now will never be sold and would stay my toy so to speak. I hope this clear any confusion about this thread.

Thanks for posting guys.

Cheers

AA
Old 07-22-2008, 12:14 PM

doublea - In buying a used vehicle at a price well below the initial MSRP, you can indeed get a very prestigious car at an affordable price. The 'down' side is that the older a vehicle is, the more likely it is to have mechanical problems, and the less likely it is that these problems are covered by warranty.

My strong advice would be to have a mechanic you trust check out the M5 before you plunk down the money. The M5 is an expensive vehicle to maintain. Make sure to get some sort of warranty (at LEAST 30 days) IN WRITING, and give the car a thorough workout before that warranty expires.

I bought only used cars from 1949 until 1979 (couldn't afford a new car until my 2000SE), and until I began buying used Maximas in 1984, most of my cars spent lots of time in the shop. I wish you many happy days with your M5.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 AM

Hey lightonthehill, thanks for your comments. I't been a while since I last read that thread. I took some time for reflexion and waited for the 2K9 to arrive. Now that the new max has arrive, I've finally made up my mind, and decide to go for a 2k3 M5 instead. I will definitely have the car inspected before I buy it, but I think BMW sell extended warranty so I just need to make sure I buy the right car.

I though that Nissan Canada would lower their price because of the US currency devaluation but it's not happening and I'm not going to buy a 2k9, even though I like the car I'm not willing to throw 45K CDN to get a fully loaded max. We still have to pay 25% more for the exact same car in Canada so for me it is so long Nissan.

Back on the topic, I've made an extensive search and found many nice US 2k3 M3 at a very reasonable price. I need to take care of the importation procedure with a local BMW dealer, so that may take another few weeks before I get the car in my garage, but this will worth every effort since it's impossible to find a used M5 at a reasonable price in Canada. The only one I could find was a 2k2 with 145 000 KM and BMW is asking 46 000$ CDN, wich is way too much. You can easily find a similar car in the us for 20G, that's insane and I'm not that dumb
Old 09-02-2008, 04:13 PM

doublea - In effect, your hands were tied. Nobody should ever pay 45K for a Maxima in any currency (except maybe yen, pesos, huan or ruples). My heart goes out to you. You would have loved the '09 Maxima, and FWD has it all over RWD in far north climes. But not at $45K.

In a way, maybe getting a used vehicle from further south, it may have spent less time on salted winter roads. It seems so unfair that our Canadian friends are being ripped off bigtime by dealers/manufactuters.

Best of luck, snow buddy.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 PM

doublea - In effect, your hands were tied. Nobody should ever pay 45K for a Maxima in any currency (except maybe yen, pesos, huan or ruples). My heart goes out to you. You would have loved the '09 Maxima, and FWD has it all over RWD in far north climes. But not at $45K.

My wife has recently purchased a Rogue so we're now all set for the next winter, hopefully not before december.

In a way, maybe getting a used vehicle from further south, it may have spent less time on salted winter roads. It seems so unfair that our Canadian friends are being ripped off bigtime by dealers/manufactuters.

Best of luck, snow buddy.
Trust me getting as US car is the way to go, for any one who want to save big buck. it seem that not many people know about these car over here.

Same to you my friend.

Andre
Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 PM

My cousin has an 04 M5. He has had toO many electrical problems with it. I think you will enjoy 2k9 Maxima. Test drive the SPORT!!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:19 PM

BMW didn't manufactured the M5 in 2004 & 2005, they released the new generation of M5 has a 2006, the car now come with a V10.

I'd be curious to know what year he really have ?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM

BMWs implode at 50K - your better off leasing one and having full warranty the whole time (and maintenance). I almost got a 05 540 last month. They only wanted $24.9K when gas was $4. Nice ride (similar to M5). But we need a winter driver as well, and our other car is RWD. Got the 08 on clearance cheap! I love it, but that 09 is REALLY nice to sit in. Great all around car. How fast are you really gonna go? Wait for 2010 Max, as they should work out the "new design" bugs by then. Or why not a used M45?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Hey guys, the 2k9 Maxima is growing on me... I've been lurking for a while for a 2k3 M5, but considering I already have a summer car, the Maxima 2k9 is very appealing. I think Nissan did their homework with the 2k9, I seriously though my 2k1 would be my last Maxima but I'm re-considering the idea now, I mean I would like to test drive the 2k9 Max with 19" and fully loaded, apparently we will be very pleasantly surprise with this car behavior.

It seem to have received a lot of attention from the Nippon constructor and received many new technological evolution so I must consider it as my next car. My dilema, is that I dont want to sell my 2k1 ( I'm currently re-building it ) but my Murano is coming to a lease end in 3 months and I need a car to daily comute, so if I get the 2k3 M5 it's likely that I wont drive this car in winter, also I can only park one car in the garage and the 2k1 is standing on it and wont be ready before spring/summer 2009.

The more I think about all this the more i'm getting squeeze, I mean I can possibly sell the house and move to a bigger home with a 3-4 car garage right, but that would be a PITA to move the 2k1 since it stand on bloc now and it is naked at this time. The more I think the more it seem to be a wise choice to move on to the 2k9.

My wife think that I should forget about the M5 for now, well at least until my 2k1 is complete, and then decide if we sell the house and move on, then I'll be able to keep the 2k1 and buy the M5 but still I would have to drive my winter beater ( 97 sunfire ) all winter long wich is a PITA. I'm keeping this car for my daughter, she will be 16 this summer and will start to drive so I tough of giving her the car once she can drive alone.

That is my dilema for the moment, I'd like to hear from some of you who might be in a similar situation.

Cheers to all.

AA
I went from Nissan to BMW and I don't look back. Better built IMO. Only downside is that you'll have to dish money for maintenance and parts are not cheap if you are into modifications
Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
I went from Nissan to BMW and I don't look back. Better built IMO. Only downside is that you'll have to dish money for maintenance and parts are not cheap if you are into modifications

You may have been fortunate enough to have gotten a well-built BMW, but thousands of drivers reporting their experiences with their vehicles each year to Consumer Reports have said the Maxima is better built and more reliable than vehicles built by BMW, and this has been the case ever since the Maxima first appeared on the scene in 1981.

Of course you are exactly right about the BMW being more expensive to maintain and repair.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 AM

Get the M5.

BMW>Audi>Nissan

i drive an audi now
Old 09-05-2008, 11:12 AM

I dont really have the intention to mod his car at least until my 2k1 maxima build is over.

Check my thread here: http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...n-project.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trading 2k4 Murano > 2k9 Max...or 2k3 M5