Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   All car mags Reviews 2009 Maxima (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/562635-all-car-mags-reviews-2009-maxima.html)

NYPD-Arnold 05-21-2008 12:24 PM

All car mags Reviews 2009 Maxima

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

Zack342 05-21-2008 01:00 PM

How is the top speed drag limited at 132? It has 290hp.

hectorc 05-21-2008 01:03 PM

The review sounds like what's expected here. Better suspension, smaller than the current trend, but no manual...no care.

lightonthehill 05-21-2008 05:03 PM

Zero to 60 in 5.8 seconds. Finally licked the torque steer. Lowered the high roof and made the rear less bulbous. Wider and shorter stance gives super slalom time. Changed the fat-looking body to an athletic Coke-bottle shape. Very aggressive-looking front. So much to love.

Too bad there are so many here who won't consider anything but a manual. Especially when less than 5% of Maxima buyers opted for the manual when it was available. That is still the same story with the Altima. Nissan builds cars with manuals and dealers can't sell them. So Nissan drops the manual and all we get is complaints EVERY DAY about no manual.

Whatever.

maximadave 05-21-2008 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by hectorc (Post 6420252)
no manual...no care.

AllBlackMax 05-21-2008 06:42 PM

I wish they woulda spoke more of the sport mode on the CVT. Drag limited top speed? nah...Sounds like the CVT gave up. :laugh: I still like the car though.

*edit*

The 2008 Acura TL Type-S is better in every way; quicker(0-60), faster(1/4 mile); lighter(almost 100lbs);

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.9 in
Length: 189.8 in
Width: 72.2 in
Height: 56.7 in
Curb weight: 3515 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.9 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 25.8 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 150 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 163 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.93 g

lightonthehill 05-21-2008 07:14 PM

AllBlackMax - My son would give you his TL Type 'S', but his (twice replaced) tranny would fail before he could get the car to your house.

The tranny problems were actually not his biggest gripe; he had tranny problems from day one with his TL, and felt he was not treated well by Honda Corp. That greatly disappointed him. He will never buy another Honda/Acura.

Based on your specs, the TL is a statistical success, testing-wise. The styling must be rather conservative, as I have somehow not noticed them on the road. Oh, wait; I do remember seeing one. The first thing I noticed was the grille, and I thought it might have been a Ford with all that shiny chrome.

Like you, I'm not sure why they dropped the top speed. Maybe they have 'geared' (can you do that with a CVT? I guess we are talking about the 'final drive ratio') the '09 for better acelleration, hence the higher RPMS resulted in a slight lowering of top speed. Not that there is anywhere around Atlanta I could do 132 anyway. 20 MPH is more common here, and 20 MPH is certainly not 'manual tranny friendly', either.

AllBlackMax 05-21-2008 07:58 PM

That's odd cause I have a buddy that just bought a late model CL type S and his tranny went months after he bought it. He took it to a Acura dealership and they replaced the transmission no questions asked; he didn't spend a penny.

I love the looks of the new Max over the TL-S Type S; I've just a little disappointed in the "numbers".

But then again this is only a first review of the car; time will tell.

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 6421009)
AllBlackMax - My son would give you his TL Type 'S', but his (twice replaced) tranny would fail before he could get the car to your house.

The tranny problems were actually not his biggest gripe; he had tranny problems from day one with his TL, and felt he was not treated well by Honda Corp. That greatly disappointed him. He will never buy another Honda/Acura.

Based on your specs, the TL is a statistical success, testing-wise. The styling must be rather conservative, as I have somehow not noticed them on the road. Oh, wait; I do remember seeing one. The first thing I noticed was the grille, and I thought it might have been a Ford with all that shiny chrome.

Like you, I'm not sure why they dropped the top speed. Maybe they have 'geared' (can you do that with a CVT? I guess we are talking about the 'final drive ratio') the '09 for better acelleration, hence the higher RPMS resulted in a slight lowering of top speed. Not that there is anywhere around Atlanta I could do 132 anyway. 20 MPH is more common here, and 20 MPH is certainly not 'manual tranny friendly', either.

lightonthehill 05-21-2008 09:38 PM

AllBlackMax - The test stats on the TL are very impressive. I do not not think the new Max will threaten 5.5 zero to sixty. There is no question that at least one other vehicle will outperform the Maxima in one or more categories. But when it comes to the entire package - affordability, room, fun to drive, reliability, performance, style, etc, it is tough to beat the Maxima.

Having owned nothing but Maximas for 23 1/2 years, having been completely satisfied with every Maxima I have ever owned, living near a Nissan dealer that has treated me very well for many years, and preferring the Maxima's styling to its competitors, I am probably too biased to ever admit any other vehicle might be better.

eyecon7 05-21-2008 10:28 PM

here come the Tranny Swaps...:hide:

VQHP 05-22-2008 01:31 AM

1.High price, at 37 Geez
2.No 6spd
3.Top speed at 132 MPH
4.Front wheel drive
5.Too heavy
6.No way [F#%k that]........5.5 Gens and 6 Gens FTW!!!!

Smooth 05-22-2008 06:44 AM

At 37 I would just pay the dif and get a awd g35 and call it good

95Max 05-22-2008 07:16 AM

I have to agree with light. Who cares that the car will only do 132 mph. Where are you going to drive that fast? Not in the NY/NJ area. The traffic just doesn't allow it. Not to mention if the police catch you...no more license, crazy fines...

jspagna 05-22-2008 09:17 AM

I can't wait to check out the new Max in person. I think the 37 grand is just a price they are putting out there for now. Remember the last Max was like 35-37 fully loaded and you can now see them being advertised at 23-25 grand. I think after the initial hype the prices will become more realistic.
And as someone said before,the Maxima has always been a LOT of car for the money and I think it will continue to be so. And as for stepping up to a G35, my sister has one and whenever I drive it I still think it is too tight/small and almost too much HP. I think the new MAx will be just the right blend of size & power. Just MO.

vladi77 05-22-2008 10:03 AM

^^^^ Have to agree with those complaining about the top speed limited. I would really like to know from anyone (honestly speaking) that has a problem with the top speed. Have you ever gone over 130 in your car? 2nd How often do you go over 130 MPH?

Now Getting back to the rest of the review, i must say that the sticker price is quite a shocker. I knew the car would be starting at about 30K but to know that this was not even the sports version, also those pictures dont show an actual driven model so we dont know what options are in the car for $37K, I will not be buying this car if i have to pay $40K for a fully loaded version. I will just go an buy a slightly used G35x and call it a day.

LA02MAX 05-22-2008 10:55 AM

Not sure why you guys are surprised at the price..the current maxima fully loaded is $36,660, and it has a vastly inferior interior, less options, etc.

vladi77 05-22-2008 11:08 AM

I would like to ask, did anyone see on the article a list of what was included in the price. I for one was one of those people that knew that the price of the would be around 37-38K fully loaded. But if this car is 37K and not the sports package, not the larger wheels, no nav. If the 37K price includes all the options then I have no problem with the price because that would be MSRP. So you will always be able to negotiate. But if you are talking 37K then you have to add another 4K in options I will not be buying this car.

4DRSpeed 05-22-2008 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 6420689)

Too bad there are so many here who won't consider anything but a manual. Especially when less than 5% of Maxima buyers opted for the manual when it was available. That is still the same story with the Altima. Nissan builds cars with manuals and dealers can't sell them. So Nissan drops the manual and all we get is complaints EVERY DAY about no manual.

Whatever.

That's cause that 5% is right here on this board, the other 95% are the everyday mom's or old folks that just drive from point a to point b and don't really give a hoot about anything else, except for the style, features, fuel economy, and price.

Keep in mind don't buy this car new it won't be worth the 37K wait about two years and get one for 23 slightly used, ****ty Nissan resale.

vladi77 05-22-2008 11:26 AM

4DRSpeed, you make great sense with the waiting for a year or 2 before getting it but I just dont think many people here will wait if they want it. I will be one of those waiting at least 6 months to see what problems people are having. If I dont see any major problems I might get it then if not wait until at least the next years model.

I am looking for my next car to keep for about 6-7 years. Currently I have an 2002 altima SE 3.5 She has treated me great and is in excellent shape only 45K miles. But i am looking for something fresher with more features in the cabin and the looks of it are very attractive. So I will probably be waiting on the sideline for a few months but I will be test driving as soon as possible to see how the ride feels.

But no way in hell will I pay 37K for a non-fully loaded max.

lightonthehill 05-22-2008 11:59 AM

vladi77 - You are I are sort of the same here. I am very excited about the new Maxima, but will wait until my saleslady is dealing from invoice, and until the early glitches are discovered and fixed before plunking down my cash. Maybe late summer (in this recession, prices will HAVE to be discounted fairly quickly in order to sell cars) or early fall?

Those concerned with price need to understand that the range of prices for the 7th gen is only about #1K above the 6th gen. Considering how the price of everything else is going up, and that the '09 is clearly an improved car in many ways over the 6th gen, I feel the pricing is right where it should be. Not that anyone actually pays MSRP anyway.

I would bet a fairly well equipped '09 with sport package might be obtained late this fall for under $34K. Times are tough, and Nissan has to sell cars at whatever price the public will pay. Those talking G35 will find that, once the initial introductory '09 Maxima excitement dies, the actual driveout for the G35 will always be higher than a similarly equipped Maxima, and that is for a vehicle with less interior room, and in my mind, a less exciting style.

AllBlackMax 05-22-2008 03:55 PM

You guys are missing the point with the speed limit issue. It's not like the car runs hard all the way to 132 then all of a sudden wind drag halts it. :laugh:

Obviously, as the car approaches 132 it will struggle. So you can pretty much assume the car will barely make it to 127 or so which is horrible.

And yes, I've driven 140 in my car and it was still pullin when I shut it down.

Which leads into my next question; how in the heck can my car be more aerodynamic that the new Max? :laugh:

Like I said, I still like the car though. CAI, full exhaust, AFC tune, and drop should greatly improve things. ;)

Mike00 05-22-2008 07:28 PM

37k? I'll pick up a navi/premium g35x for that kind of money.

The current gen maxima I could load up pretty much full features for 32k.

I had been interested in the new maxima but I think I'll pick up a TL or G35x instead if iti's going to cost me that kind of money.

lightonthehill 05-23-2008 12:00 AM

Mike00 - You didn't read all the posts here (such as mine, just 3 posts back).

Yes, if you insist on driving one of the first '09s, a loaded one might approach $37K. But if you wait until the initial excitement dies down, and reality sets in for the dealers. I'll bet you could stuff a loaded '09 into your Christmas stocking for somewhere under $34K, maybe even $33K. Considering how the price of everything has risen this year, I feel that would be a great deal.

As for the G35, Consumer Reports found the same things I did: The interior felt cramped (the Maxima felt very roomy), the trunk is small (the Maxima's is large), the MPG was average (the G35 only got 19 MPG in overall testing; the roomier Maxima got 21), and the driveout price for a G35 was higher than a comparably equipped Maxima. The AWD version some mentioned here only widens the gap in price.

Infiniti makes excellent vehicles, but the Maxima has usually been a better all-around buy. I don't see that changing.

Smooth 05-23-2008 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 6422516)
vladi77 - You are I are sort of the same here. I am very excited about the new Maxima, but will wait until my saleslady is dealing from invoice, and until the early glitches are discovered and fixed before plunking down my cash. Maybe late summer (in this recession, prices will HAVE to be discounted fairly quickly in order to sell cars) or early fall?

Those concerned with price need to understand that the range of prices for the 7th gen is only about #1K above the 6th gen. Considering how the price of everything else is going up, and that the '09 is clearly an improved car in many ways over the 6th gen, I feel the pricing is right where it should be. Not that anyone actually pays MSRP anyway.

I would bet a fairly well equipped '09 with sport package might be obtained late this fall for under $34K. Times are tough, and Nissan has to sell cars at whatever price the public will pay. Those talking G35 will find that, once the initial introductory '09 Maxima excitement dies, the actual driveout for the G35 will always be higher than a similarly equipped Maxima, and that is for a vehicle with less interior room, and in my mind, a less exciting style.

You are right there but, I want awd and a little more prestige with my car:cool:I have loved my max but I have owned it since oct 05 and it has 45k on it, time to go....I agree the g35 is a little smaller inside but I am not sure what to get where I can have awd and not drive a subaru.

I would like to have an m45 or lexus bt I am not there yet. I do need the bigger car because even the maxima is borderline with my line of sight on the passenger side. The A pillar is a serious blind spot for me. I drive with the seat all the way back and down but it is still blind for me I have to drive in parking lots ducked down to see out around it.

Jopa416 05-23-2008 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill (Post 6420689)

Whatever.

A comment on this entry. As a manual driver I understand the car companies quandry with offering manuals when they are hard to sell. Sales is about volume & quick turn around....I get it.

However, I personally would be willing to special order a car with a manual trans & I wish that car makers who don't want to carry inventory's of manuals would offer this option. I would pay more to get exactly what I wanted. This statement applies to Interior/Exterior color themes as well.

It is shamefull, absolutly shamefull, that you can't get a Black or Blue Maxima SE with a Tan Leather interior. (You could get the SL with Blue/Tan)

Best regards all.

NYPD-Arnold 05-23-2008 10:32 AM

The speed limit is most likely electronically limited to 132. Let it go, it's probably just a bad typo from C&D. And Popular Mechanics just said the price will range 29-32k. So ease up, everyone.

STARR 05-23-2008 12:58 PM

37K for a loaded G35x is 3k off sticker, what they usually sell cars for around here, the dealers here in the northeast over stock G35x, it would be nice to get a G35 but they make it so hard that I'm guessing if you don't want to pay extra for an AWD vehicle then a Maxima will suit you, so if a loaded Maxima is 37k and 3 off that is 34k, either way it should also be interesting to see what happens when Nissan drops the 3.7 in the Gsedan, will that add a slight price increase, I've read the reason the 3.7 is not in the G or FX is because it is a more expensive engine to manufacture, but now with the Maxima being so Infiniti like maybe Nissan has more of a reason to put the 3.7 in

Maybe it's just me but why does it seem like everyone is outraged by Nissan making the Maxima so close to the Infiniti, for years Ford and GM had corporate siblings that where identical in everyway, I've never driven a Maxima and went to a G35 and was like damn this is the same car, said that many times about Ford and GM, and Toyota Lexus does the same thing but they seem to have done it in a different way, their sibling/cousin vehicles drive different then each other.

STARR 05-23-2008 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold (Post 6424549)
The speed limit is most likely electronically limited to 132. Let it go, it's probably just a bad typo from C&D. And Popular Mechanics just said the price will range 29-32k. So ease up, everyone.

How fast does one need to go, I guess if you live in a rural area where their are more cows then people then speed is important to you:)

In my Max I've hit 120mph and that was once and after I realized how fast I was driving, just the thought of a cop catching me did not sit well or what I would pay insurance.

Top speed is more of a mental thing then anything:cool:

maxspeed96CT 05-23-2008 01:16 PM

like someone posted above , no Manual trans= no care
:(

but car and driver liked it and they are harsh somtimes....

Zack342 05-23-2008 02:13 PM

Popular Mechanics 2009 Nissan Maxima Review.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4264643.html

2009 Nissan Maxima Test Drive: With All This Power, Is the Four-Door Sports Car Finally Back?

LOS ANGELES — Nissan has been getting a lot of attention this week for an impressive $115 million commitment to next-generation battery factories on its way toward developing an electric car for the United States by 2010. But it started spreading another marketing campaign nearly 20 years ago: “There’s no such thing as a four-door sports car. It’s just a dream ... right?” If you don’t remember those 1990 “4DSC” ads for the Maxima, remember this: The 2009 model might just be the closest yet to that dream come true, at least for a front-drive sedan.

We don’t often buy into PR speak, but we dug the new Maxima when we first saw it earlier this spring at the New York Auto Show. After all, this version has the right formula on paper and in the looks department—3.8 in. shorter and 1.5 in. wider than its predecessor, with more power, better handling and some rather striking styling. After getting along so well with it on the road here this past weekend, we’re still digging the 2009 Maxima today. —Barry Winfield

The Specs
Based on Nissan’s new D-platform already used for the Altima, Altima Coupe and Murano, the new Maxima is powered by a 290-hp version of Nissan’s ubiquitous VQ 3.5-liter V-6 with 261 lb-ft. of torque. That’s up 35 ponies and 9 lb-ft., but the 19/26 mpg fuel economy rating reflects a 1-mpg bump in highway performance.

The standard transmission is what Nissan calls the next-generation 3-mode Xtronic CVT. And that CVT may have something to do with the improved fuel figures. If you launch hard from a stoplight, the car surges away from the traffic with a musical snarl, albeit one that maintains a constant pitch rather than a crescendo. But if you drop off the throttle to assume a cruising velocity, the CVT seamlessly climbs to a higher ratio, dropping the engine speed dramatically.

Thanks to its broad spread of torque, the V-6 loafs at 1200 rpm with a casual muscularity, ready to spin up at the behest of the CVT to dispatch uppity SUV drivers at a mere prod of the pedal. Now Nissan doesn’t quote acceleration times, and we didn’t have time to test the new Maxima on the track. But based on weight and power, we’d reckon it’s good for a sprint to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds—and a quarter-mile time of 14.2 seconds at 96 mph.

You can switch modes on the CVT and shift it yourself through ranges that emulate ratios in a conventional gearbox, and it even provides a gear-holding function for engine braking and cornering. For metro dwellers, this would seem to offer the best of both worlds, rivaling the abilities of the twin-clutch systems in Volkswagens and the new Porsche 911 to provide the perfect combo: schizoid shifts for manic canyon carvers, and honey-smooth ones for tranquil city commuters.

Our car was a 3.5SV model rather than the base 3.5S—which adds leather, a Bose sound system, a thigh-support seat extension and other goodies—but went without the sport-tuned suspension and 19-in. wheels and tires that accompany the optional Sport package. Expect that car to be distinctly sporty, because those vehicles have front strut-tower braces and solid rear seat-back panels instead of fold-down seatbacks for extra body rigidity. Just add the high-performance summer tire option, and hit the canyons. But it isn’t all tires and firm suspension settings that make the Maxima handle. Nissan borrowed some front suspension pieces from the Infiniti M45 to get what they were looking for, and conducted some of the chassis development work on the famous Nürburgring race track.

The Drive
The Maxima’s shifter is now set over on the driver’s side of the center console, and the ride motion control strategies are set to the responsive side of the comfort/response spectrum. But, perhaps of chief importance to the road experience, the Maxima is now also almost completely devoid something that plagued previous generations a whole lot: torque steer. Thanks to an ingenious movable coupling in the steering gear that reduces the leverage from the front wheels when torque steer is most likely, Nissan has got itself a front-wheel-drive car that steers with real precision. And it boasts a tidy new three-spoke steering wheel (said to be destined for the new Z-car, too) with virtually no fight in it. Kickback shock is also conspicuous by its absence in this new Maxima, lending the car an urbane demeanor that substantially increases its appeal.

On quiet, challenging roads, the Maxima has enough traction and torque to make good time. It turns in well, with little diagonal roll to upset its stance, then pulls off the apex without spinning an inside wheel or tugging at the steering—at least not while we were driving it.

But a combination of copious torque and enthusiastic driving will undoubtedly bring to light some inside wheel spin when you switch off stability control, and we wonder why a limited-slip differential is not being offered—particularly now that torque steer has been so effectively quelled.

The exterior styling may have its critics, but one can really argue that the 2009 Maxima doesn’t look distinctive. The unusual “catamaran” front clip presents the occupants with a forward view like that of a Corvette or Ferrari, with a contoured surface that kicks up at the outer corners. A glance in the rear-view mirrors shows off pronounced haunches, and the whole car seems to be a collection of almost anatomical swoops and bulges.

Inside, the new Maxima is perhaps less surprising, with a tidy dash layout and clear instrumentation. In the center of the dash, Nissan employs its usual ATM-style, button-and-knob layout on the multimedia display for cars with that option, and on the ventilation controls for non-navigation-equipped models like ours. The theme is one of pods or binnacles projecting from a grained black background material, and this works well when on a contour. But the flat sections have the esthetic appeal of Styrofoam board. There are plenty of standard features, and they include all the basics. Then there are Sport, Premium and Tech packages, with permutations of all three.

The Bottom Line
Nissan’s people are promising to keep the price walk for this model as close as possible to the last one ($29,000 to $32,000). More important, we promise you, is the new Maxima’s around-town behavior. And here in L.A., the Maxima feels completely in control. The steering is direct, accurate and nicely weighted. The throttle response is immediate and emphatic, and the car’s chassis is tied down tautly. Any moves you care to make, the Max is right in step.

Yet the levels of refinement should be high enough to satisfy the sophisticated tastes of the affluent urban crowd Nissan’s targeting with this vehicle. It may have four doors and solid interior space, but the Maxima’s emphasis is clearly on its personal relationship with the man behind the wheel.

lightonthehill 05-24-2008 01:45 AM

Zack342 - Thanks for posting this.

Well, Car and Driver loves the '09 Maxima, and Popular Mechanics loves the '09 Maxima. At least there are two entities that agree with me that this car is going to be a very nice ride.

soundmike 05-28-2008 05:07 AM

Motortrend First Test: 09 Maxima

MotorTrend
Full Frontal: Nissan aims to redefine the limits of FWD performance

That's a bold statement. And it gets bolder. Nissan's handling target, the car that company engineers compared with the Maxima during development laps around the Nurburgring Nordschleife: the Porsche GT3.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadte...front_view.jpg

0-30 2.6 sec
0-40 3.7
0-50 4.8
0-60 6.1
0-70 7.8
0-80 9.8
0-90 12.5
0-100 15.9
Passing, 45-65 mph 2.7
Quarter mile 14.7 sec @ 96.1 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph 130 ft
Lateral acceleration 0.85 g (avg)
MT figure eight 27.4 sec @ 0.63 g (avg)
Top-gear revs @ 60 mph 1900 rpm

soundmike 05-28-2008 05:14 AM

Edmunds Full Test

Edmunds

There's talk of an enthusiast's SR model, but that won't come to pass for at least another year.

What Works:
Class-leading interior materials and build quality; another step ahead for the already excellent Xtronic CVT; up-to-date infotainment package.

What Needs Work:
Still torque-steers right at wide-open throttle; XM NavTraffic is too slow for L.A. traffic flux.

Bottom Line:
Finally, a Maxima worthy of the price and status at the top of Nissan's sedan range.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/1....f34.2.500.jpg

(Mods, sorry, can we just combine this with the other "Road Test" post? somehow? Thanks.):cool:

Blulytes 05-28-2008 06:46 AM

good article... thanks.

MaximusMorpheus 05-28-2008 07:08 AM

nice read

Kobra_Klutch 05-28-2008 07:36 AM

Thanks for posting... I guess the price is in the styling and interior upgrades/gadgets..... It doesn't blow the Altima away in these tests... The Maxima should no longer carry the Flagship badge... Nissan messed up when they raised the Altima's performance level... They need to get rid of one of these cars... An informed buyer will choose the Altima SE over the Maxima... for the price of admission. I wanted Wow...and it hasn't wowed...me...other than the Tuscan Red Color... I love the Maxima heritage but I think it's time has come and gone... Now I have to refocus on the Camaro... As you can see I've been on the fence...but no one has given the Maxima the review we really want to hear/read. I'm very disappointed. I think Nissan felt they had to make this car because of all the people who've owned them over the years, so they kept it going. I appreciate it but dang give us the far better car over the Altima... I'm not buying this car just because it's a Maxima...thats not good enough in this day and age.

:(:(:(:(:(

gopack504 05-28-2008 08:30 AM

I have never owned a Maxima or any Nissan for that matter, and I have only been following it since I saw pics of the 09 Maxima. I personally like what I see, and need to see it in person. It sure seems that among the loyal Maxima owners and fans on this site that they either like it or hate the new 09 Maxima. It seems the feeling for the new look is mixed.

I’m curious. Has anyone owned a “lux” version of the Maxima? I’m wondering if it has a nice quiet and smooth ride. Those will be two of the factors I’m looking for in my next car, and want to check out a fully loaded “lux” version of the 09 Maxima if there is one.

nitro230 05-28-2008 10:18 AM

I really like that pic. Its such an aggressive looking car

MaximusMorpheus 05-28-2008 10:27 AM

ditto, looks intimidating...

soundmike 05-28-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kobra_Klutch (Post 6432489)
Thanks for posting... I guess the price is in the styling and interior upgrades/gadgets..... It doesn't blow the Altima away in these tests...

Although you do have a point, i think there's more to this than meets the eye. The production version of the 7th gen just rolled out yesterday, MT and Edmunds tested this car sometime back which makes me think it's a late pre-production vehicle. That could mean some things could still be tweaked.

Of course, the review also doesn't really say much about how the steering and overall chassis feels - that will have to be something each one of us will need to experience behind the wheel. Sort of how the Mazda3 has "ok" numbers, but get behind the wheel and you'll understand what all the craze is about.

Nissan was going for the overall package with the 7th gen, not to be best in any specific category, but to provide the best mix of everything--for the price.

Although i still like the 7th gen myself, Edmunds video of the 1/4 mile run dismayed me. I don't know why, especially considering that i also have a Murano, but the CVT drone at a constant rev range really takes the aural sportiness of the Maxima. There's just something about hearing the revs climb that makes things that much more exciting.