7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2010 Diesel Maxima still a 'go'. For now.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 PM

2010 Diesel Maxima still a 'go'. For now.

Honda has announced it is reconsidering its plans to sell diesel versions of several of its cars in 2010 because of the high price of diesel fuel. A decision of go/no go will soon be forthcoming. An additional consideration is that cars equipped with diesel engines, although getting 20% to 40% better fuel mileage, cost upwards of $1,500 more than similar gasoline versions at retail.

In view of this, Nissan was asked about its plans for the announced 2010 diesel Maxima. Nissan spokesman Scott Vaezin said the price of diesel fuel is worrisome. 'It's why we're putting it on our flagship. We don't know where (fuel prices) will be when we launch, but we expect some pent-up demand. And our preception of the diesel buyer is someone who keeps the car longer," minimizing the cost of its higher price.

Several experts on the worldwide fuel situation expect the price of diesel fuel to eventually fall back to around the price of gasoline. I personally feel Nissan is probably already too far along with its 2010 diesel to stop now.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:05 PM

I don't know much about diesel but i'm prettty interested b/c of it's better fuel efficiency. as far as i know, Infiniti is launching hybrid version of G35 sedan in 2010 or 2011. i think that will be nissan's first own hybrid model (since, altima hybrid is tech. borrowed from toyota) in near future, i hope nissan launch hybrid version of maxima,too.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Diesel, thanks but no thanks.

Toyota can't build the Prius fast enough! I wish that the American Auto makers would get off their fat asses and build a car to beat the crap out of the Prius (in performance, style, and fuel economy) instead of going to Congress and begging for bail out money like some poor homeless guys on the street!

The price of gas is irrelevant. The environment is irrelevant. The real mission here is (or rather should be...) simple...

In the 1960's, the national treasury of Saudi Arabia (and most other oil producing nations in the Middle East including all those who are sponsoring terrorism around the World) could fit easily on the back of just three camels.

We need to conserve fuel and reduce our need and use of their oil to return to this more correct condition!

Sadly, Nissan it is build in USA and the magic is almost limited. Do you know the Maxima and Altima are a mix of the Nissan Teana sold in South America.

[img] http://www.nissanlac.com/downloads/w...2_1024x768.jpg[/img]

The options:

2 engines

1.- 2.5 (modelo VQ25DE) 185 hp CVT

2.- 3.5 (VQ35DE) 252 HP CVT

3.- dual sun roof boot engines

If you want more info about the Teana

http://www.nissan-lac.com/paises_esp.../teana_esp.php
Old 12-12-2008, 01:33 AM

[QUOTE=Yaco_Max;6752536] Do you know the Maxima and Altima are a mix of the Nissan Teana sold in South America.

Nissan is definitely a global company, and is smart enough to transfer technology and styling that works well into many different models in many different countries. The wide-grilled, flat front of the '09 Maxima was not the ideal styling for the U.S., but it was done this way in order to meet European safety requirements (no sharp or pointy things in front; not pedestrian-friendly).

Last time I read about the Teana, the Maxima portion was from the 6th gen, not the 7th gen.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Nissan is definitely a global company, and is smart enough to transfer technology and styling that works well into many different models in many different countries. The wide-grilled, flat front of the '09 Maxima was not the ideal styling for the U.S., but it was done this way in order to meet European safety requirements (no sharp or pointy things in front; not pedestrian-friendly).

Last time I read about the Teana, the Maxima portion was from the 6th gen, not the 7th gen.
Totally agree about gobal company, but that should be using better.

Now, talking about the Teana the 2007 sold as 2008 in South America market, it comes with cvt Generation 2, the tail lights are the same the only difference is the Teana comes with double leds rows up and down.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Yaco_Max
Do you know the Maxima and Altima are a mix of the Nissan Teana sold in South America.
Having driven the latest Teana, I can say it is nothing like the 7th gen Maxima. The interior, with its flat, angular IP and gauges directly out of the 80's, wouldn't appeal to a contemporary North American audience. The seats, so flat and featureless, weren't built with performance driving in mind. And the Teana certainly backed that up when driving it! Even with the 3.5 V6 and CVT, the car was so softly sprung (probably to help with poor roads) that it literally rolled from side-to-side with any degree of steering lock. Even the engine felt down on power and responsiveness- perhaps tuned for the market(s) it was designed for.

Perhaps the point is that Nissan has done an excellent job of crafting vehicles for specific markets and tastes. Both the current Max and Altima are designed to appeal to North American customers, with styling, handling and performance that runs rings around the Teana. So, let's see what NNA comes out with when the new diesel Maxima appears- they'll have given it a LOT of thought!
Old 12-13-2008, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Having driven the latest Teana, I can say it is nothing like the 7th gen Maxima. The interior, with its flat, angular IP and gauges directly out of the 80's, wouldn't appeal to a contemporary North American audience. The seats, so flat and featureless, weren't built with performance driving in mind. And the Teana certainly backed that up when driving it! Even with the 3.5 V6 and CVT, the car was so softly sprung (probably to help with poor roads) that it literally rolled from side-to-side with any degree of steering lock. Even the engine felt down on power and responsiveness- perhaps tuned for the market(s) it was designed for....
Well, I've not seen the car in person, but I will in 2 weeks, but so far my old man love the Teana.

Perhaps, the cluster is not as fancy as maxima, still it looks pretty nice, BTW if you still consider that South America as a jungle, take a trip. Of course highways are not like Germany, Austria and Switzerland autobahns and other highways or United Sates highways, freeways.

Still with today prices of Diesel, what would be the good thing to buy a Maxima Diesel?

93 Octane cost $1.95 vrs $3.05 for Diesel??

Last edited by Yaco_Max; 12-13-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Well, I've not seen the car in person, but I will in 2 weeks, but so far my old man love the Teana.

Perhaps, the cluster is not as fancy as maxima, still it looks pretty nice, BTW if you still consider that South America as a jungle, take a trip. Of course highways are not like Germany, Austria and Switzerland autobahns and other highways or United Sates highways, freeways.

Still with today prices of Diesel, what would be the good thing to buy a Maxima Diesel?
I'm happy your father loves his Teana--as I said, Nissan does a excellent job in crafting cars that fit particular markets or niches. And BTW, I said nothing about "jungles" in my previous post, only that the Teana's was so softly sprung that it might help with poor roads. IMHO the Teana's ride and handling would not make a Maxima customer happy.

2010 is still another year off and who knows what the cost of fuel (either gas or diesel) will be? Nissan is clearly studying the situation as it unfolds and will decide whether there's a good business case for offering a diesel Maxima option.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:18 PM

Well, from all of my research into future fuels for the world I can tell you all that Diesel fuels will be the fuel of the future. Anyone who makes investments into Diesel fuels/parts/(Escpecially Emissions) will be wealthy in the future as a result.

Diesel may be expensive but once they figure out how to make it so that the emission systems can process it into the ozone layer and not affect it and make it below the tolerance levels of the Emissions Act then you will see how far the prices of this fuel drops and how widespread the use will be.

One of the great things about Diesel fuel is that you can make it from basic cooking oils in your kitchen as well as many other type of oils as well.

I believe that the Diesel Maxima will be a big payoff for Nissan in the future.

FYI: Invest in Diesel emissions equipment/computer applications that manage the O2 systems for it now.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 PM

In the 1960's, the national treasury of Saudi Arabia (and most other oil producing nations in the Middle East including all those who are sponsoring terrorism around the World) could fit easily on the back of just three camels.
ARE you in CIA or FBI?....stop accusing other countries for terrorism and i don think so its appropriate for u talk about terrorism on this forum..so STOP!!!! and keep it to ur self and keep it to only cars...
Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 AM
I love lamp.

93 Octane cost $1.95 vrs $3.05 for Diesel??
Where the hell are you getting $3 diesel? Here in WA 92 octane is like $1.79, and diesel is $2.29. What good would it be to buy a maxima diesel? Quite a bit, because you will be increasing fuel economy, and fueling up less. Comparing the cost of diesel to gas is sort of pointless because the diesel will eventually make up for it in fuel economy, and after a given time, will be much cheaper in overall fuel costs.

People in this country need to get over they're phobia about diesel cars. They aren't noisy, dirty, and gutless anymore. They are a huge proven success in Europe. What's worst, is we have car companies that ran by idiots because they say designing a fuel efficient car is not possible or use the excuse "no one will buy them". Maybe we should just leave gas at $5 and see what they say then.

S
Old 12-17-2008, 08:58 AM

will the diesel come 6Spd??
Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
ARE you in CIA or FBI?....stop accusing other countries for terrorism and i don think so its appropriate for u talk about terrorism on this forum..so STOP!!!! and keep it to ur self and keep it to only cars...

Read a little more young boy.

Bin Laden perhaps?

Last edited by Yaco_Max; 12-17-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Where the hell are you getting $3 diesel? Here in WA 92 octane is like $1.79, and diesel is $2.29. What good would it be to buy a maxima diesel? Quite a bit, because you will be increasing fuel economy, and fueling up less. Comparing the cost of diesel to gas is sort of pointless because the diesel will eventually make up for it in fuel economy, and after a given time, will be much cheaper in overall fuel costs.

People in this country need to get over they're phobia about diesel cars. They aren't noisy, dirty, and gutless anymore. They are a huge proven success in Europe. What's worst, is we have car companies that ran by idiots because they say designing a fuel efficient car is not possible or use the excuse "no one will buy them". Maybe we should just leave gas at $5 and see what they say then.

S

Well, Welcome to New York where everything is expensive. I know about the reality in Europe, but as you said eventually, it will be much cheaper, but right now it will cost more.

My question is Honda has announced it is reconsidering its plans to sell diesel versions of several of its cars in 2010 because of the high price of diesel fuel.????? If we paid attention Honda runs plain regular could you do the same thing?.

Last edited by Yaco_Max; 12-17-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:01 AM

My question is Honda has announced it is reconsidering its plans to sell diesel versions of several of its cars in 2010 because of the high price of diesel fuel.????? If we paid attention Honda runs plain regular could you do the same thing?.

I am running regular in my 6th gen with no affect on MPG (which I can measure) and no affect I can detect on performance (but which I can't measure).

BUT - I would strongly recommend AGAINST using regular gas in the higher-compression '09 Maxima. I might go with 89 octane in a pinch, but would suggest using the 91 octane for which this '09 engine was specifically designed.

As for the '10 diesel Maxima, having around 400 foot pounds of torque (typical for the type of diesel engine Nissan will put in the Maxima) can be useful, especially for those doing towing with their Maxima. Nissan has not said, but a heavy-duty six speed auto tranny in the diesel Maxima would not surprise me.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Kevlo for President

Diesel is def worth it IMO. It will get better mileage. Just look up the numbers for the new accord diesel in euro
Old 12-18-2008, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=lightonthehill;6765714]I am running regular in my 6th gen with no affect on MPG (which I can measure) and no affect I can detect on performance (but which I can't measure).

BUT - I would strongly recommend AGAINST using regular gas in the higher-compression '09 Maxima. I might go with 89 octane in a pinch, but would suggest using the 91 octane for which this '09 engine was specifically designed.[QUOTE]

To measure this type of performance, you'd need to put your Max on a dyno and have a strict set of parameters to evaluate by. Regular gas may be fine in cooler weather and partial throttle in the older VQ35DE, but I'd be hesitant to run it at the track with WOT for extended periods (not that you would).

I'd agree with you that the higher compression ratio '09 engine makes a strong case for sticking with premium. Both performance and fuel economy can be adveresely affected by using a lower grade of gas, but with the VQ35HR, it might actually damage the drivetrain in extended use.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Diesel is def worth it IMO. It will get better mileage. Just look up the numbers for the new accord diesel in euro

Yes, Indeed.

Honda's new clean diesel is apparently based on the current 2.2 i-CTDi, and when fitted in a Euro Accord, it achieved that staggering 62.8 mpg at a recent diesel technology convention in California.

The next questions are:

1.- Nissan will take the a heavy-duty six speed auto tranny or heavy-duty seven speed auto tranny ?

2.- Oh, and to epilonious up above blathering on about a $5000 premium for diesels?

The superior merits of diesel are addressed. Why don't Americans use it? Because we were too pampered back in the day to have a little bit of "rumble" sound come from our engine bays. But mostly because in the 80s and 90s it was much easier (politically) to cater to environmentalists than to allow engineers to actually use efficient technologies.

Last edited by Yaco_Max; 12-18-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Kevlo for President

Yea it will take a while for americans to get used to it some reason. The way I see it, if they offer it, we will buy it. As soon as a good japanese diesel comes out, that is the first thing I will get my parents so they can have a reliable high mpg car(not that the current one isnt reliable) .
Old 12-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Yea it will take a while for americans to get used to it some reason. The way I see it, if they offer it, we will buy it. As soon as a good japanese diesel comes out, that is the first thing I will get my parents so they can have a reliable high mpg car(not that the current one isnt reliable) .

yes, but if you notice the engine it is small 2.2 i-CTDi, turbocharged, so Heads upwith that.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:15 PM

I hope they put it out, irrc the engine they were going to use has a high bio-diesel compatibly making it green friendly plus it should get decent mileage if matched with a CVT and since Nissan has played with diesel before it should be a decent engine
Old 12-19-2008, 01:21 PM

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/09...w-renault-v-6/
Old 12-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Kevlo for President

yes, but if you notice the engine it is small 2.2 i-CTDi, turbocharged, so Heads upwith that.
No biggie. Honestly, I do not know why all new cars keep getting more HP. It is pointless to keep putting bigger engines in cars. There is ZERO need to be that fast for certain cars.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:21 PM

OMG

The V6 dCi Concept also includes a variable geometry turbocharger, which generates a high level of torque even at very low revs.

Now, 261hp and 406 lb-ft of torque, probably with outstanding fuel economy and reliability...where do I sign up?

I'm sold waiting the 2010 Maxima Diesel...

Last edited by Yaco_Max; 12-19-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 PM

No biggie. Honestly, I do not know why all new cars keep getting more HP. It is pointless to keep putting bigger engines in cars. There is ZERO need to be that fast for certain cars.
What I'm saying is Honda does not need a bigger engine for it, by default diesel deliver more torque, so far Nissan plans 3.0L engine still pretty big, but vernk make see the light and I'm sold for that Nissan Maxima Diesel plus a new look...

Last edited by Yaco_Max; 12-24-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:44 PM

OMG

Now, 261hp and 406 lb-ft of torque, probably with outstanding fuel economy and reliability...where do I sign up?

I'm sold waiting the 2010 Maxima Diesel...
yea now all we have to wait for is for then electronic master minds to make a piggy back or box to control the CVT shifting and it could be major fun
Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 PM

When it comes to solving turbo lag issues on 2010 Maxima turbo diesels equipped with automatic transmissions, we like Nissan's thinking: dump the slushbox altogether.

Although product planners are still ironing out the final details on the upcoming clean diesel sedan, engineers are wrestling with turbo lag on a new X-Trail SUV for Japan. The X-Trail makes use of the new M9R 2.0-liter turbo-diesel I-4, which produces 170 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. Respectable numbers, certainly; but when coupled to an automatic transmission, the spool time for the turbocharger becomes remarkably pronounced.

Rather than re-develop the turbo system (and subsequently a fair amount of the motor) before the X-Trail's September launch, Nissan simply decided to nix the automatic transmission in favor of a manual. With a manual, drivers can pre-spool the turbo with a quick blip of the throttle, or simply wind the motor out at their discretion.

Nissan engineers are looking at giving a Maxima diesel - expected to use a six-cylinder derivative of the M9R - an exclusive manual transmission. If they do, a diesel Maxima would be the only way to equip the current car with a manual transmission.

Source: Automotive News
Old 12-20-2008, 01:38 PM

for those of you that didn't know about the old Maxima diesels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QloxkdwJadk
Old 12-20-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by vernk
for those of you that didn't know about the old Maxima diesels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QloxkdwJadk

Ironic you posted this today; while shopping at Lowes today, my wife and I ran into Bill Brooks, a co-worker and good friend from by-gone days. We hadn't seen Bill in years. Bill bought a Maxima diesel in late '81, drove it over ten years, and swore by it. Although that '81 Maxima was sort of low-to-the-ground, and required 'stepping down' and lots of bending to get into, I loved the style. I was already driving a Datsun, so was aware of the good reliability, and decided at that time that the Maxima was my dream car for the future. I was finally able to fit an '85 Maxima into my budget three years later (Oct '84), and have owned nothing but Maximas ever since.

Watching that video, seeing that dash again, hearing that sound, brought back very clear and moving memories for me.