7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas door frozen shut........Not

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Back in the Max

Gas door frozen shut........Not

man the other day I went to a Full Serve gas station and left car on because it was cold. I had just came from hand car wash and my 1st assumption was my gas door froze close. So I figured I have a 1/4 tank so I should be good, let me go get some lunch and maybe it will unfreeze when I am done. Sure enough it did, but when I go back to gas station i have the same problem. I am thinking well maybe because I didn't shut the car off the computer is maybe locking it, sure enough that's what the problem is, very cool feature.

I also noticed when you lock your car up your gas door gets locked as well, sweet feature. their I was thinking anyone has access to my fuel tank since it pops right open from the outside.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 AM

Yea its nice to know the gas door wont just open unless seriously pried with a tool
Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 AM

I would still say the best way to protect your tank of gas is to get the locking gas cap, anyone with a flat head screw driver can get the door open. But they are cool features though.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 AM

good thing gas is dropping these days, I've heard of people stealing gas from other cars..... wow, simply wow...
Old 12-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Z

This has been a standard feature on Infinitis for a while now. Our FX35 used to do this, but you'd also have to have all doors unlocked for the gas cap to be opened from the outside, as well.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:40 AM

Did anyone know that if you try to lock your car with the Key Fob left in the vehicle it won't let you! It gives you this alarm signal with a rapid beeping sound. I was at Best Buy yesterday and I was getting out of my car and tried to lock the door by pressing the driver side door handle button and it just kept beeping at me, and I thought maybe there was something wrong electronically. Then I thought maybe a door was open, checked that and it still did not want to lock, then I started looking for my keys and realized that they had fallen out of my pocket and they were on the floor. Grabbed the keys puched the button and she locked right up. PRETTY COOL!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 AM

I like the fact you can open the outer flap to the fuel intake by pressing on the OUTSIDE of the flap near the rear edge. Of course that only works if you have unlocked the car.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
good thing gas is dropping these days, I've heard of people stealing gas from other cars..... wow, simply wow...

This past summer in the Atlanta area, there were roving bands making the rounds every night, crawling under vehicles, especially those with good ground clearance, drilling holes in the gas tanks, and draining every drop. There would usually be enough fuel left in the car's system to get the driver out on the boulevard or freeway, then 'cough' and die.

That sort of died out when gas dropped below $2 a gallon. The rage now is to cut the catalytic converter from underneath vehicles. There is a quick market for the valuable metal inside. This is happening almost every night. A fleet of 30 some busses on one lot had all their converters taken the same night, and it cost the company over $40,000 to replace them. I can remember when replacing a converter cost less than $400. Now it is usually between $700 and $1000.

This sort of thing is getting much worse because Georgia has unemployment fast approaching 8%, and that does not include thousands who no longer have unemployment benefits left, or who have lost their job, but not applied for unemployment. This is by far the worst I have seen conditions here in the 44 years I have lived here, and the worst I have seen anywhere since the great depression (yes, I endured those days also).

Helpful hint: FWD cars must be towed with the front wheels off the ground, so, if you can't park in a garage, always try to park where it will be difficult for a wrecker or tow vehicle to get under and raise your front end. That means the thief has to drag your front end around to where he can get under it, and he may just choose an easier target.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by choice89
Did anyone know that if you try to lock your car with the Key Fob left in the vehicle it won't let you! It gives you this alarm signal with a rapid beeping sound. <snip>
I couldn't get my trunk lid to close the other day, it just kept beeping and popping open whenever I closed it down.

It seems you can't lock your keys in the trunk either! Nice feature!!

Geez, those Nissan guys spent a lot of time thinking about details on this car....
Old 12-31-2008, 10:52 AM

COOL

Originally Posted by Oncoryncus
I couldn't get my trunk lid to close the other day, it just kept beeping and popping open whenever I closed it down.

It seems you can't lock your keys in the trunk either! Nice feature!!

Geez, those Nissan guys spent a lot of time thinking about details on this car....

Did not know that one either, that is a pretty cool feature. I guess you never have to worry about locking your KEY fob in the vehicle!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:24 PM

My car has already saved me 3 times from locking keys in the trunk. Very nice feature... not so much for locksmiths though.

Also - is there a way to open the gas door other than pressing on it (or using a screwdriver)? That is convenient but I like to avoid fingerprints on the paint when possible. And if not (the likely answer), then does anyone know of a good clear protective cover/coating that could be applied to the door to prevent scratching?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jdhume
My car has already saved me 3 times from locking keys in the trunk. Very nice feature... not so much for locksmiths though.

Also - is there a way to open the gas door other than pressing on it (or using a screwdriver)? That is convenient but I like to avoid fingerprints on the paint when possible. And if not (the likely answer), then does anyone know of a good clear protective cover/coating that could be applied to the door to prevent scratching?
I use my knuckle instead of finger, works for me...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:33 PM

The keys cost A LOT don't they? I'm glad they do so much. The Maxima is an excellent car.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Sold

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
I use my knuckle instead of finger, works for me...
wax the crap out of it. lol. Or 3m rock guard. Some dealers put it on the front of the car to help reduce rock chips.