7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Heated Seats Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 AM

Thanks Lt Leary, I have read some of your previous posts and was wondering abot the TSB. If I was in Florida maybe this issue would not be as important to me. Guess I just have to try and battle through this.

Dealer tells me that other Maximas on his lot perform the same way as mine. In other words they don't work properly. The dealer is trying to help but Nissan must know about the heated seat issues and has not done anything in five years. Correcting it would affect production and better to send ut defective vehicles than to not meet production target.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-09-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
Thanks Lt Leary, I have read some of your previous posts and was wondering abot the TSB. If I was in Florida maybe this issue would not be as important to me. Guess I just have to try and battle through this. Dealer tells me that other Maximas on his lot perform the same way as mine. In other words they don't work properly. The dealer is trying to help but Nissan must know about the heated seat issues and has not done anything in five years. Correcting it would affect production and better to send ut defective vehicles than to not meet production target.
It was VERY important to me as it affected the COOLING as well!!! Now that was VERY IMPORTANT down here!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 AM

I also meant to mention that the replacement seats worked much better than the original. Recall, there are still many on this forum who have not experienced any issues at all! I am very jealous. That doesn't mitigate our issues nor denigrate your assertion that there may be some production pressures that the manufacturer of the seats may have or is still having.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:25 AM

I did not know it caused cooling issues also. I thought I would at least be OK in the summer.

I would also feel better about this if I was dealing with just one seat.

The service manager said he would replace both seats and Nissan will pay for them. I imagine Nissan will have to approve any warranty repair. Considering some of the posts I have read that may not be so easy. I'm not confident that replacing the seats will fix the problem as it may be a design or manufacturing defect. Regardless replacement is probably the best option at this point.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-09-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 AM

I think you will be pleased with the replacement seats. I do know that there was a shortage of seats a few years ago as they "ostensibly" re-designed some components so hopefully you will get a "newer batch!."
Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 AM

The dealer is proving to be useless. Only delays, no action. I started a case with Nissan. At this point I have little confidence in the dealer or Nissan.

I was thrilled when I bought this car a month ago. Now if I could I would sell it back to them with no hesitation and never have anything to do with Nissan products again.

If The dealer and Nissan are not able to resolve a problem with a simple system such as heated seats what can I expect from them if I had a problem with the engine or the CVT.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-18-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:04 AM

My heated seats and steering wheel is not really working either. They completely turn off and never really get hot. I'm in FL so I'm not going to waste my time with this. Maybe I'll wait till my next oil change to bring it up. Sucks cause its hitting 20 sometimes this year! I have a newly purchased '10 w 30k miles BTW.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
My heated seats and steering wheel is not really working either. They completely turn off and never really get hot. I'm in FL so I'm not going to waste my time with this. Maybe I'll wait till my next oil change to bring it up. Sucks cause its hitting 20 sometimes this year! I have a newly purchased '10 w 30k miles BTW.
If you are near Melbourne, those guys know now how to fix it! They did a good job on my 09.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Workaround

I read this in an earlier post and it helped me: it seems that if there is a large temp differnence (more than 30F sensor to ambient), there is a safety shut off circuit. I assume in case there is a fire or an out of control heating element. It makes sense but it should not prevent the syetem from working.

For mine, I start the car with the heated seats off, turn it up to low after a minute, medium after a few minutes, then to high if needed. The Heated seats then stay on.

Previously, starting on high and they will shut off in a few minutes. Starting on medium and they will cutt out in 3-8 minutes.

Crappy deal but after three trips to dealer and one replacement, it was what worked consistantly.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:11 AM

The worse part is that this issue has been occurring since 2009 and it appears that Nissan has not done anything about it. The dealer tells me other cars on his lot work the same way as mine. Which is to say they do not work properly. Other Maxima's I drove appeared to have the same issue. I wish Nissan would get their s**t together with the heated seats.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heated Seats

Just an update from previous post in case you are on the very long journey of trying to get your driver side heated seat fixed. I have been dealing with this for 4 years on my 09 maxima and the end result after over 40x at the dealer is Nissan refused to do anything else and claimed it was the way I sat in the seat. I have to admit, this will be my last Nissan especially after the so called regional service rep. and head enginner said sorry you will just have to sit in the seat different. I told him to adjust it they way he thought I should sit in it and he said no and left with a ****ty smile on his face..... Good luck everyone hope you have better results!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 AM

I admire your determination. I gave up after two visits. For whatever reason Nissan has decided they will not address this issue.

The way the Nissan dealer, Nissan service and corporate have treated me and others about this issue is just plain shameful.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-22-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:43 PM

The solution is at post #32 of the following thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ry-solved.html
Old 11-01-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by CT Maxima
It's cold in the northeast today. I tried out the heated seats and heated steering wheels on my Max.

The heated steering wheel worked fine.

The heated seats did not work. The switch enables selection of either "low" or "Hi." Neither position worked for either seat.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Yes i have noticed my 2009 nissan maxima sv passenger seats doesnt get hot or heated like how the driver seat does im not sure why seeking answers on that
Old 03-26-2017, 07:20 AM

It's cold in the northeast today. I tried out the heated seats and heated steering wheels on my Max.

The heated steering wheel worked fine.

The heated seats did not work. The switch enables selection of either "low" or "Hi." Neither position worked for either seat.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a 09 sv max my driver works great but passenger heater have a mind of its own
Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am back from the dealer after two visits to fix the heated seat issue.

First off, my Max is has the premium package. The two front seats are heated. My driver's seat works fine: it heats very noticeably. The passenger seat does not work. This is the reason for the warranty visit.

Nissan's intervention was to change out the rocker switch that controls the passenger seat heating. This did nothing to cure the problem. Then they did a circuit analysis and found that the seat was getting current to the heating components. Their conclusion was that there is nothing wrong with the passenger side heating.

The driver's seat is obviously heated. You can feel it with your hand and more importantly, your butt. The passenger seat does not feel warm to the hand nor to the very important butt. In fact, it is virtually impossible to sense any heat coming from the passenger seat.

What has been the experience of other Max owners? Do you have a passenger seat that genuinely heats?

Does the rocker switch light come "on"? The seat is getting power but still no perceptible heat? The problem is in the heating element (99% probability)...... The driver seat is wired differently if it has the ****...
Old 03-26-2017, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Navydoc
Does the rocker switch light come "on"? The seat is getting power but still no perceptible heat? The problem is in the heating element (99% probability)...... The driver seat is wired differently if it has the ****...

no its not the **** its the switch under the heater knows its a 09 sv maxima
Old 03-26-2017, 11:56 AM

Driver seat exhibit the same problem; passenger side no problem.

I washed the understeat filter a month back hoping that would have resolved it.

If happens again I will turn up cabin heat to see if seat performs better