7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARD'S 10 BEST ENGINE LIST...................

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:56 PM

WARD'S 10 BEST ENGINE LIST...................

Why didn't the VQ Series make the cut this year IYO?

IMO the reason it didn't make the list is because there are many more engines out nowadays that focus on saving fuel and incorporate Direct Injection into their engines whereas the VQ doesn't.

Here's the list:

The Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2009: (Engine and tested vehicle)

• Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)

• BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (135i Coupe)

• BMW AG: 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (335d)

• Chrysler LLC: 5.7L Hemi OHV V-8 (Dodge Ram/Challenger R/T)

• Ford Motor Co.: 2.5L DOHC I-4 HEV (Escape Hybrid)

• General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS)

• Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe)

• Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: 4.6L DOHC V-8 (Genesis)

• Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)

• Volkswagen AG: 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Jetta TDI)

I guess Nissan is going to have to figure out something else to update or revamp the engine rather than just boring it out

DISCUSS!!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Got Retrofit?

Repost.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
I guess Nissan is going to have to figure out something else to update or revamp the engine rather than just boring it out
I think you hit the head on the nail, nothing innovative in over 10 years. It's turned into the workhorse for Nissan which is fantastic but boring for automotive editors.

When I think of great engines in automotive history two always come to mind, the 350 Chevrolet V8 and the Nissan VQ series.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:52 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
I think you hit the head on the nail, nothing innovative in over 10 years. It's turned into the workhorse for Nissan which is fantastic but boring for automotive editors.
Then how would you explain how the Maxima has been in the top ten for what...the other 10, 11 years straight? They dropped the ball on the 6th gen and never quite picked it up.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 PM
i has college

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Then how would you explain how the Maxima has been in the top ten for what...the other 10, 11 years straight? They dropped the ball on the 6th gen and never quite picked it up.
Exactly. It doesn't matter what engine you have if every platform for it is degrading around it. Killing the manual transmissions that USED to be attached to it didn't help it's case.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Actually was 12 years straight but hey who is counting. What exactly did they drop with the 6G? I know the answer..... Do you?

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 06-14-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by EnervinE
Exactly. It doesn't matter what engine you have if every platform for it is degrading around it. Killing the manual transmissions that USED to be attached to it didn't help it's case.
Wrong.... Tranny have nothing to do with Wards review...
Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I know the answer..... Do you?
What is this, sixth grade?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Per

Trust the car magazines to go ga-ga over the new stuff, whether it's better or not. A Chrysler V-8 better than the VQ? come on!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 PM

I see Wards got the new government memo requiring them to pick at least one engine from each of the Big Three, no matter how bad those engines might be.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Per
Trust the car magazines to go ga-ga over the new stuff, whether it's better or not. A Chrysler V-8 better than the VQ? come on!
Last time i checked, that Chrysler v-8 was producing 375hp, when the strongest VQ produces 330, so yes it is better then the VQ.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by EnervinE
None of what you said has any bearing on the "Engine Only" evaluation that Ward does to qualify their contestants.

The entire competition is about Engine Innovation and Nissan hasn't really done anything new with the VQ series itself except bore it out and open it up to be able to breathe and export air/gasses.

In the meantime, automakers have been focused on fuel efficient engines like hybrid, electric and various other kind of economy-minded engines.

It's not that our engine isn't still one of the best, it just isn't one of the most updated or innovative ideas to come around in the past few years.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by a33i30
Last time i checked, that Chrysler v-8 was producing 375hp, when the strongest VQ produces 330, so yes it is better then the VQ.
Making higher HP is not one of the criteria for which Ward's picks it's listings, their are plenty of engines that make more than 375HP, that doesn't mean that they are better.

It's all about design and whether or not it is new (something no other automaker has done or is currently doing) and these days with our economy sucking as bad as it does it seems we're returning to the eighties in terms of fuel efficiency as the future benchmark.

The VQ is an old engine by the industry standards but high HP isn't a factor then otherwise we'd see the engine from the Skyline here above the Chrysler V8 you mentioned.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:35 AM

That's the most unintelligent statement I've read...

There's no comparison to be made when Chrysler's motor has nearly DOUBLE the displacement.

There's much more to a great engine than simply producing peak HP.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:51 AM

How does the Ford Escape Hybrid engine make the list and not that of the Prius?? Since when does an OHV engine represent "new technology"?......oh....I forgot...silly me....its a HEMI!...lol! I have to agree with lightonthehill .... with the exception of the new GM direct injected 3.6L in the Caddy.....the other engines are IMO...not better than the VQ...no matter how much Nissan has bored it out...... And lastly....You have to remember that the Chrysler engine has 2L and 2 more cylinders on the VQ engine in the G37/370Z... and it only makes 45 more horsepower.....so in that respect....It is NOT better than the VQ....this just goes to show that it is not as efficient....things that make you go hmmmmm......
Old 06-15-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
How does the Ford Escape Hybrid engine make the list and not that of the Prius?? Since when does an OHV engine represent "new technology"?......oh....I forgot...silly me....its a HEMI!...lol! I have to agree with lightonthehill .... with the exception of the new GM direct injected 3.6L in the Caddy.....the other engines are IMO...not better than the VQ...no matter how much Nissan has bored it out...... And lastly....You have to remember that the Chrysler engine has 2L and 2 more cylinders on the VQ engine in the G37/370Z... and it only makes 45 more horsepower.....so in that respect....It is NOT better than the VQ....this just goes to show that it is not as efficient....things that make you go hmmmmm......
Well, you have to remember that Ward's is an American Journal and the American Auto Market is in the toilet right now-so I'm sure that there is some greased palms somewhere to try and help sales on our shores.

Personally, I would never buy any American/Domestic type vehicle from the Big 3 unless it's a truck or a Corvette/Caddy CTS-V.

After reading the listing over and over I did too start to suspect some under-the-table dealings with some of those engines making the list and Nissan's VQ series not being one of them.

It's like they all of sudden said that after 12 years or so that our engine isn't one of the top 10 best simply because it is dated
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 AM

lol@ward, hemi is one of the oldest technologies out there, still using push rods. just the fact that nissan uses DOHC, is enough to make the VQ a better more up-to-date motor. yea they kinda messed up with the VQ35DE, but wasnt that fixed with the introduction of the VQ35HR?. but like BK2 said, they cater to domestic vehicles.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:53 AM

That twin turbo straight six is a killer engine in the BMW 135i. It pulled when I stepped on it at 1200rpm!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
That twin turbo straight six is a killer engine in the BMW 135i. It pulled when I stepped on it at 1200rpm!
yea thats true, but put small enough turbos on any car and it will spool that fast, but will have the power up top, maybe not, but who cares about top end when we dont have the space or want to risk lives to go 150mph
Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 AM

I find it also ironic that the 3.8L Twin-turbo in the GT-R didn't make it...I was wondering why....then it hit me....it doesn't have OHV's....what the heck was I thinking....I mean if it had OHV.....it would have certainly been on the list right?....what a joke...I think I lost all respect for WARD'S...I guess whomever has the largest pockets makes the list.....well...hmmm...that can't be it....because GM and Chrysler are both on it....I am totally baffled now...what to do, what to do....
Old 06-15-2009, 08:16 AM

Yeah, man that is a bad azz little beast there!! It's just too bad that most ppl that I know who own BMWs are Pompous Anuses. I have a guy who works with me that drives a 2006 BMW 325i Convertible and he puts down any car that isn't a BMW, furthermore he claims that he paid $54,000 for his car.

I remember walking away from him after he told me how much he paid and I was thinking; does this guy think I don't know how much BMWs cost? Does he know that even if I didn't know that I can go to Google or BMW and find out for myself? Obviously, he didn't know that my friend has the same car but he only paid 35K plus for his brand new in 2006.

I was also left thinking; either this guy has the worst credit history and BMW raped him on financing or he must be the dumbest muthaf*cka on earth to pay $54,000 for a 2006 3 series BMW (convertible or not), didn't he realize that he could've bought an M3 for that money or even a top of the line 5 series?

What an Anus!!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 AM

furthermore, Bmw has had the same engine in there 3 and 5 series for there '07-'09 models. Why are they still on the list?? I agree why would a Hemi be on there. Doesnt all Chrysler cars have a hemi option? so shouldnt all the Chryslers with the Hemi option be listed?. I think someone was drinking to much when they wrote the article.

They but the IS 350 which has 306 horses, but they didnt put the Lexus GS 350, which makes 303. I'm sure its the same engine. I'm lost
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 AM

the engine in the BMW 135/335I is one fine engine...it is twin-turbo and direct injected and deserves to be on the list.... and some of the other engines here are also good for their applications...but better than the VQ....I think not...I mean really, 3.5L SOHC in the accord...yeah it is a good engine...but it is not better than the VQ....(have driven both). Cylinder deactivation is electronic trickery and nothing intrinsic to the engine itself...something Nissan could easily do if they wanted to....(Hmm..why don't they?).....The VQ has stood the test of time and is a very good engine....and I think Nissan is quite smart in using it in multiple applications....keeps costs down. By the way..the TAU-V8 in the Genesis is a nice engine and IMO certainly deserves to make the list....but the HEMI...well, I rest my case.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM

the engine in the BMW 135/335I is one fine engine...it is twin-turbo and direct injected and deserves to be on the list.... and some of the other engines here are also good for their applications...but better than the VQ....I think not...I mean really, 3.5L SOHC in the accord...yeah it is a good engine...but it is not better than the VQ....(have driven both). Cylinder deactivation is electronic trickery and nothing intrinsic to the engine itself...something Nissan could easily do if they wanted to....(Hmm..why don't they?).....The VQ has stood the test of time and is a very good engine....and I think Nissan is quite smart in using it in multiple applications....keeps costs down. By the way..the TAU-V8 in the Genesis is a nice engine and IMO certainly deserves to make the list....but the HEMI...well, I rest my case.
IMHO the bmw straight six is way better then the VQ. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the VQ but that thing is insane. Also....get ready for the hate messages....I think the VG30DE was better then the VQ's with or without the TT. I thought it was a fun engine to work on. The 5.7L hemi was a joke when I test drove it. Never got the chance to sit behind the 6.1L though.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
None of what you said has any bearing on the "Engine Only" evaluation that Ward does to qualify their contestants.

The entire competition is about Engine Innovation and Nissan hasn't really done anything new with the VQ series itself except bore it out and open it up to be able to breathe and export air/gasses.

In the meantime, automakers have been focused on fuel efficient engines like hybrid, electric and various other kind of economy-minded engines.

It's not that our engine isn't still one of the best, it just isn't one of the most updated or innovative ideas to come around in the past few years.
Ding, Ding we have a winner! You nailed it head-on!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Per

If the only criteria was HP, the list would look totally different. Besides, the VQ makes up to 94 HP/liter, whereas the Hemi only makes 65 HP/liter. The VQ is way ahead. The Chrysler Hemi would have to make 536 HP to be in the same class as the VQ!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 AM

I find it also ironic that the 3.8L Twin-turbo in the GT-R didn't make it...I was wondering why....then it hit me....it doesn't have OHV's....what the heck was I thinking....I mean if it had OHV.....it would have certainly been on the list right?....what a joke...I think I lost all respect for WARD'S...I guess whomever has the largest pockets makes the list.....well...hmmm...that can't be it....because GM and Chrysler are both on it....I am totally baffled now...what to do, what to do....
Well if you had researched the criteria that Wards utilizes with these annual awards you would have read that they exclude any vehicles over 54k. Instead you just spoke out your **** about Wards, OHV crap comments, etc.... Maybe you should join GM they are looking for some senior management of your caliber.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:52 AM

Don't get me wrong...there are engines out there that are better than the VQ....I know that....what I meant was that there are engines on this list that IMO are not really much better....and I do agree with you....the twin-turbo in the BMW is better than the VQ....but it is not better than the 3.8L twin-turbo in the GT-R.....its all relative you see..... I am just looking at it with this perspective...the VQ has been on the list for 12 years straight....and to come off of the list would mean A. the engine really tanked in the past few years...which we know is not the case or B. the other engines on this list are just soooo much better....which I also believe is not the case.....I am just being honest.....i gotta tell you one of my favorite engines is the V8 from lexus ....very smooth and powerful to boot, a great engine.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Well if you had researched the criteria that Wards utilizes with these annual awards you would have read that they exclude any vehicles over 54k. Instead you just spoke out your **** about Wards, OHV crap comments, etc.... Maybe you should join GM they are looking for some senior management of your caliber.
Lol, you make me laugh sometimes. Good stuff. So right.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:01 AM

my bad....really wasn't aware of that...
Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Don't get me wrong...there are engines out there that are better than the VQ....I know that....what I meant was that there are engines on this list that IMO are not really much better....and I do agree with you....the twin-turbo in the BMW is better than the VQ....but it is not better than the 3.8L twin-turbo in the GT-R.....its all relative you see..... I am just looking at it with this perspective...the VQ has been on the list for 12 years straight....and to come off of the list would mean A. the engine really tanked in the past few years...which we know is not the case or B. the other engines on this list are just soooo much better....which I also believe is not the case.....I am just being honest.....i gotta tell you one of my favorite engines is the V8 from lexus ....very smooth and powerful to boot, a great engine.
Gotta agree with 100% on that V8 from Lexus, that thing is sick and probably the best V8 hands down. The only knock that I have on some of these engines (somebody kinda pointed it out already) is that most of the engines that are V6s or other versions of 6cyl engines you'd have to turbocharge/SC or use Nitrous to get the kinda power that you get out of the VQ.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM

Honestly, there are a couple of things I noticed.

1. Why is the HEMI on there?! I mean 345-375 hp out of a 5.7 OHV v8..ehhh not impressed. It does not get good gas mileage either. MAYBE I could see the 6.1 Hemi on the list...maybe.

2. the Vq is also in Infiniti's and looking at the kind of mileage those cars get...its pretty pathetic.

Yes I know this is an engines list, but some of the engines on there are questionable at best. It seems like they account for the platforms they are used in on some engines (the VQ) but not with others (5.7 HEMI, Toyota 3.5l)
Old 06-15-2009, 04:27 PM

When I think of great engines in automotive history two always come to mind, the 350 Chevrolet V8 and the Nissan VQ series.
x2 this is the 1st year the vq hasnt made the list since its inception, oh well..
Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 PM

Say what u will but ever since they dropped in the CVT they've been getting worse and worse reviews
Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA
Say what u will but ever since they dropped in the CVT they've been getting worse and worse reviews
Only from the "I row my own gears crowd"!!

The CVT is not even a consideration when Ward is doing it's evaluation of their best [B]ENGINES[/B], transmissions aren't even a factor.

I can't see why after 20 more or so posts that some ppl here can't seem to figure out that this eval has nothing to do with the rest of the car, it is an ENGINE ONLY evaluation.

Now if this was Ward's Top 10 best cars list then you may have some legitimacy when speaking about the CVT that you may not like but they're not talking cars.

It appears that some of the Big 3 has paid Ward's to help them build or in this case repair their already broken and fragile credibility for reliable Engines.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM

I wonder how the diesel version of the bmw 3 litre straight six compares to the non diesel version. Anybody have any first hand experience?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Alpha
That's the most unintelligent statement I've read...

There's no comparison to be made when Chrysler's motor has nearly DOUBLE the displacement.

There's much more to a great engine than simply producing peak HP.
Your right, thats why it has tq too, I'm no Chrysler fan, just saying that engines got potential.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM

Your right, thats why it has tq too, I'm no Chrysler fan, just saying that engines got potential.
Any engine has potential. The 5.7L has potential, the 1.8L VW engine has potential, my sisters 40cc dirt bike engine has potential. But I am pretty sure they don't measure how much potential the engine has. When you sit behind the 5.7L Hemi and the 3.5L VQ the VQ hands down is a way better engine.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:51 PM

I guess I just don't care. I get in my car and I hit the gas and this car takes off like a rocket ship. It sounds sexy, it looks sexy and it's the best car that I have seen on the road. But then again, I may be biased. Just don't care. My car is a head turner, and I have had people tell me how bad it looks. I just say, you should see how it drives. Who cares that it's not in the top ten. It's a 1+ to me.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 AM
OG and counting...

IMHO the bmw straight six is way better then the VQ. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the VQ but that thing is insane. Also....get ready for the hate messages....I think the VG30DE was better then the VQ's with or without the TT. I thought it was a fun engine to work on. The 5.7L hemi was a joke when I test drove it. Never got the chance to sit behind the 6.1L though.
If I had to choose the Hemi, it'd be the 6.1 without a doubt. I drove a Charger with the 5.7 and the 300c SRT-8 with the 6.1. The 5.7 Hemi was very unimpressive to me in terms of acceleration off the line and midrange. To me, the VQs felt way better....seriously.

The 6.1, on the other hand, made me because it had the gonads. Nice, broad torque curve and much snappier acceleration.

BTW, I was very disappointed that they didn't offer the 6.1L for the Charger police package.