7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Front driver seat fix from Nissan!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by jboss10
Took mine in to get the steering column fixed and they said "anything else you want us to check out before your warranty runs out" I ask about the seat rocking. I had parts order and the seat was fixed with no other questions. Maybe I got lucky....
They get paid (by Nissan) for all warranty work and it's of no expense to you, so it's a win-win
Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 AM

I have an '09, it rocks (the seat that is) but only sometimes and only when stopping at a light or sign. It's not bad but noticable like maybye 1/32-1/16 of an inch (at the rails) I will wait a bit more until it's more noticable maybye in the spring before I go and ask for a fix.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by daroccot
I have an '09, it rocks (the seat that is) but only sometimes and only when stopping at a light or sign. It's not bad but noticable like maybye 1/32-1/16 of an inch (at the rails) I will wait a bit more until it's more noticable maybye in the spring before I go and ask for a fix.
Exactly what mine was doing. Believe that it will get worse and seemingly a lot worse quickly (at some point). The service guys couldn't reproduce the first time I took it in, but the second time was the winner. Here is what you'll need to tell them (in case they claim ignorance... or they just are )

Originally Posted by k757
Here is the info you need:
Bulletin: NTB09-092B

parts........
87351-9N00B FRAME ASSY
87381-9N10B FINISHER-C
87374-9N00B FINISHER-C
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/536
2009-2010 NISSAN MAXIMA; DRIVER’S SEAT BOTTOM SHIFTS SLIGHTLY
The driver’s seat bottom very slightly “rocks” and/or “shifts” back and forth when accelerating, braking, or when making a turn,
Old 01-15-2011, 09:11 PM

After 18 months = my drivers seat is fixxed... They made a seat design change, Nissan put the seat in and no more movemement.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by tse54re
After 18 months = my drivers seat is fixxed... They made a seat design change, Nissan put the seat in and no more movemement.
Any specs or service bulletins, etc involved? Will owners who have complained be notified? Will most Nissan dealers know about this? How did you find out?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Driver Seat Fixed !!!

Evidentally there are two problems with the seat; The bottom moving and the back moving.

I don't know exact specs, but I was just told they redesigned the seat. They put a new seat in (aw - the smell of a new car again) and the problem is gone.

I actually contacted the BBB Auto Line. That is what drove Nissan to react. I had worked through their Consumer affairs group and after 14 months they said "We are done and are not going to do anymore".

Contact the BBB Auto line and file a complaint (1-800-955-5100). Honestly, it took one phone call, a few documents and now I have a working seat.

I think once you get the right people at Nissan involved they are concerned about your satisfaction. THe people I was able to talk to once I filed the complaint were those unreachables during the entire process working with their Consumer Affairs.

Now I am in love again with my Maxima...
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by tse54re
Evidentally there are two problems with the seat; The bottom moving and the back moving.

I don't know exact specs, but I was just told they redesigned the seat. They put a new seat in (aw - the smell of a new car again) and the problem is gone.

I actually contacted the BBB Auto Line. That is what drove Nissan to react. I had worked through their Consumer affairs group and after 14 months they said "We are done and are not going to do anymore".

Contact the BBB Auto line and file a complaint (1-800-955-5100). Honestly, it took one phone call, a few documents and now I have a working seat.

I think once you get the right people at Nissan involved they are concerned about your satisfaction. THe people I was able to talk to once I filed the complaint were those unreachables during the entire process working with their Consumer Affairs.

Now I am in love again with my Maxima...
I would love to know more about the specific and a possible TSB on this. I don't have a problem with the driver seat but have this problem with the front passenger seat. I wonder if Nissan has made the same fix for the shaking/vibrating front passenger seat as well??
Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 AM

This front driver seat issue needs to be addressed. I am actually in the process of filing a lemon law claim with nissan. The driver seat frame has been replaced 3 times already and it still has movement. I bought the car new and it currently has only 15k miles on it and they can't seem to fix the issue.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 AM

I just purchased my 2010 3.5 SV 2 weeks ago. I wish I would have noticed this rocking during the test drive. I would have made them take care of it before I took delivery of it. Oh well, I will be taking it in to them soon with a copy of NTB09-092b in hand. Wish me luck!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:52 AM

I have the same problem. I will try to go to nissan next week.

Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 AM

UPDATE!! I had my seat fixed in 5/2010. Seat is rocking agian. Will be going to the dealer next week. I will let you know what happens.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:52 AM

So Im bringing this topic back cause I was on freshalloy, lurking in the M forums and saw a thread with owners complaining of rocking/vibrating passenger seats, and I laughed and thought of smarty666, but a day later I was in my car and realized my passenger seat back vibrates, and then it occurred to me that my 06 did the same thing here I though that was normal and had no idea what it was, but I also leave the seat back reclined out of my peripheral so I never see it, and I also have the drivers seat bottom that moves ever so slightly, think Im use to it and it only moves at certain times but on freshalloy someone mentioned something about fixing these issues with some small metal or rubber washers.

So here I am wondering who has gone to the dealer and had this fixed, since I once was a tech, I hate dealer cause I know what goes on and how they do things, Im not against dealers, just the reputation for them to replace stuff with something that will have the same issue later on and to possibly damage the car, I will take a pass

Last edited by STARR; 10-17-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM

I had this done a few weeks ago and I'm going to say 90% of the rocking is gone. I had the honor of being the first customer at this dealership to have this done. After seeing the procedure, the tech remarked that he was glad I had the S model without the seat warmers & coolers.

The repair seems to have gone well, but I am intentionally moving the seat more to make sure the motors are 100% and that the seat is actually fixed. The only problem I saw is a slight scuff mark on the seat back plastic. I'm assuming it was placed on a hard surface without padding. I also found a black finishing screw on my floor mat. I'm going to bring up the scuff and the screw at my next visit.

I had to actually mention the TSB to get things moving. I was asked a couple of times if I was sure it was the seat and not the suspension. When I mentioned the passenger seat TSB the tech remarked that was a common occurrence across Nissan's line.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 AM

I had mine replaced with no issues from my dealer. It just so happened that the passenger seat locked up intermittently and I was able to show that at the same time. Long story short, they replaced both seats on the same visit (after the parts arrived in about a week). Funny thing, I had to take it back to have the passenger-seat trim put back on. When they were trying to fix the plastic trim, they broke the reclining switch. So, about a month later the new switch arrived and they replaced that as well.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

new mid year sport just ordered...just left factory...

So would it be fair to say that they (Nissan) properly fixed the problem with a new design? The reason I ask is that I took an early production 2011 sport out for a test drive and the passenger seat wiggled like it was going out of style!! I actually had to put the headrest down to the lowest position so it would stop making that knocking/clicking/banging noise as the seat shakes. I didn't notice the drivers side moving tho.

I mentioned it to the salesman when I returned and he stated that he thought the car had the tsb update already...and sent it right in as I was standing there.

I was just wondering if the redesign is new as I just ordered my 2011 sport, I should have it in about 2 weeks as they just finished building it and have to ship it to my dealer still...I'm hoping that they did the update right from the factory...here's hoping!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by innocentiturbo
So would it be fair to say that they (Nissan) properly fixed the problem with a new design? The reason I ask is that I took an early production 2011 sport out for a test drive and the passenger seat wiggled like it was going out of style!! I actually had to put the headrest down to the lowest position so it would stop making that knocking/clicking/banging noise as the seat shakes. I didn't notice the drivers side moving tho.

I mentioned it to the salesman when I returned and he stated that he thought the car had the tsb update already...and sent it right in as I was standing there.

I was just wondering if the redesign is new as I just ordered my 2011 sport, I should have it in about 2 weeks as they just finished building it and have to ship it to my dealer still...I'm hoping that they did the update right from the factory...here's hoping!!!
In my opinion, this is not a complete fix. I would call it an improvement. There is still a slight movement in the seat.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:51 AM

I'm having the same issue on my 2011 premium tech. I'm at the dealer right now waiting for my car to be serviced (let's see what happens). I bet they are going to tell me that there is nothing wrong w it. I drove all the way to freehold nj (DCH Nissan) from Brooklyn because I feel that bayridge Nissan is just a rip off and they have no idea what they are doing. I also hope that they fix the passenger side seat as it was shaking the whole time I was driving here (70mph).

Fingers crossed that everything gets fixed including a rattling noise I hear only when the AC is on.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 PM

Same issue with my M35X Im a member of NCIO forum and there are threads of the front driver seat shifting the dealer wants 2100 to fix nissan needs to recall this issues is there something we can do

Last edited by Lovemycar; 07-19-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:16 AM

I've had my seat frame replace twice already. The dealership is dumbfounded. They actually put a call into the corp office supposedly. It still moves...
Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having the same issues on my 2011 premium. Going to dealer tomorrow
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 AM

Third time is a Charm

I just got my 2009 SV Premium's driver's side seat replaced for the 3rd time. Today it does not move. Lets see how long it lasts. I am big, but I have been driving since 1983 and I have NEVER had this problem before. Otherwise I love the car.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:47 AM

My dealer did mine on Friday and it appears to be rock solid. Let's hope it stays that way. (11 SV all the candy)
Old 07-25-2011, 12:50 PM

Ok So there are people on here getting this doen 3 times this is bull **** there putting the same fualty part in the car even the 2011 this is an old issue you would think they would resolve this
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 PM

It is moving again! I have an extended warranty, so this is going to get expensive for Nissan.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 PM

mine is too and its squeaking - wtf!!! so sad I have to bring this back for the 2nd time and the car is only 5 months old!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Are all these "Premium Package" cars?
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 AM

mine is a premium package, yes...
Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 AM

Mine has had a slight seat bottom rock since new, now with almost 25k is has gotten no worse, I just tell myself it's like the drivers seat in the M5 that has the side bolsters that inflate when you corner hard
Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
Mine has had a slight seat bottom rock since new, now with almost 25k is has gotten no worse, I just tell myself it's like the drivers seat in the M5 that has the side bolsters that inflate when you corner hard
And you're probably better off. A few weeks after "the fix" I noticed that the side plastic finisher was loose. I then find the lumbar adjust was laying on the carpet along with a few screws. Plus some careless tech probably placed my seat back on concrete and made a small scuff mark in the plastic. When you add all that to the fact that seat now rocks almost as bad as the original problem, I regret taking it in.

The dealer fixed the finisher and lumbar. I'm getting a new seat back when I have the TSB re-applied in the near future. One word of advice, ask for a tech who is familiar with seating issues.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM

I wonder if this loose seat stuff would be dangerous in an accident , or if raising that point at the dealership would get them to fix it right .... i havent had them fix it yet as for some reason the rocking driver seat bothers me less in my car than the visibly shaking passenger seat , the thing looks like an earthquake is hitting it while driving down the smoothest of roads. it really ticks me off....
Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jommbi
And you're probably better off. A few weeks after "the fix" I noticed that the side plastic finisher was loose. I then find the lumbar adjust was laying on the carpet along with a few screws. Plus some careless tech probably placed my seat back on concrete and made a small scuff mark in the plastic. When you add all that to the fact that seat now rocks almost as bad as the original problem, I regret taking it in.

The dealer fixed the finisher and lumbar. I'm getting a new seat back when I have the TSB re-applied in the near future. One word of advice, ask for a tech who is familiar with seating issues.
Im probably gonna live with it, I was a Nissan/BMW tech at one time and just the years of seeing how inside operations are done, scares me, one of the many reasons I left, I have a high tolerance to ignore stuff/issues, I have had my fair share of cars accidentally damaged to fix an issue, it's not the scratch that bothers me, its the tech and or service writer who completely denies they damaged the car, until you prove otherwise they did it, my Maxima is not perfect but I would rather live with the few imperfections then trade them for more reason to remind why I should not have took it in
Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by tundradave24
I wonder if this loose seat stuff would be dangerous in an accident , or if raising that point at the dealership would get them to fix it right .... i havent had them fix it yet as for some reason the rocking driver seat bothers me less in my car than the visibly shaking passenger seat , the thing looks like an earthquake is hitting it while driving down the smoothest of roads. it really ticks me off....
That would be awesome cause this TSB crap would turn into a recall, and Nissan would be forced to pull all the defective seats out and replace with new replacements.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:53 PM

thats alot of money lol
Old 11-03-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by swatcop
Went to dealer today to change oil and spoke about the front seat movement issue. They have heard about it and I presented them with a part number that was posted on this site for possible solution. Well they told me that the part number was a complete seat frame for $1500.00 and that if I wanted they would replace it but do not see why I would just put back on what will be taking off. Anyway, they call Nissan tech. and they advised them that they are very much aware of the issue and that there will be a kit coming out to fix it as soon as the kit is "confirmed" (I believe that's the word he used). My service dealer (also friend) said that relates to around a month or so before it is posted. He told me by the time I go for my next oil change, they should be able to address the moving seat issue. Just thought I would pass along the info!!!!! Take it for what its worth.
I have a 2 week old 2011 Maxima Sport and haven't noticed any issues with the seat yet. Is it possible they may have fixed the issue on units that recently came down the line. Mine was built in May/11.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stelianos
I have a 2 week old 2011 Maxima Sport and haven't noticed any issues with the seat yet. Is it possible they may have fixed the issue on units that recently came down the line. Mine was built in May/11.
My passenger's seat doesn't seem to rock either. Go figure.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Seeing this thread. Have to say Mine goes in tomorrow morning regarding this issue. My Factory warranty is almost up. So any little thing is getting repaired before it runs out. Have to say my dealership has been pretty good with agreements for finding and fixing with no hassle. But keep you posted how things go and what the invoice states.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

seat movement

I have a 2011 Max, my front drivers seat is moving somethin terrible!! My wife took it in to the dealership and they told her that " one of the mechanics has the same car and he drove yours, he said it feels the same as
his..." so there must not be anything wrong with the seat!!!!! I can't wait to go back and raise some HELL!! Does the TSB only apply to 09-10 cars???
Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM

I just bought a 09 about 2 months ago and my driver seat is rocking also. You can really tell when you hit the gas and stop. It still rocks even if the car ISN'T moving. I plan on taking it to the dealer to see what they say.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 AM

Waiting on my 4th seat! Nissan Canada has authorized yet another seat frame for my 2009 SV Premium. Nice car, but too many quality issues. Sorry Nissan, next car will be from another brand.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 AM

Still Rockin'

My 2009 SV Premium is at the dealer now for its 4th seat. I will let you know what is shakin' once I get it back. Want to appreciate your Maxima more? Drive a Versa loaner. Penalty box seems an apt description.

Quick Reply: Front driver seat fix from Nissan!!