7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Front driver seat fix from Nissan!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 AM

i dont always feel a rocking in the seat, except occasionally when i floor it. not all the time though and its not as bad as some people here have it. i dont need to take it to the dealer do i?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM

i want a new driver seat how can i do this without paying at dealership? lol just checking if anyone knows any tricks =)
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM

and steering wheel lol haha
Old 03-01-2012, 08:27 AM

Not Rocking...Yet

I am on my 4th seat frame. The new one had the same part number as the previous one. So far it is solid. However, I have taken to lowering my seat to the floor so that there is less pressure on the mechanism. I think it is unfair that I need to alter my seating position to accomodate Nissan's design flaw. Next car won't be a Nissan.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Same issues

I have had all of the issues in this thread as well:

1) Driver seat - assembly replaced and still rocks slightly, also they killed the lumbar when they were in there

2) Passenger seat shaking - changed a bracket part but still shakes on the highway a little bit. Let me say that I rent cars all the time for work and it is common to notice an empty passenger seat shaking a little bit, still I would like a fix but good to know that it may be inherent in impact absorption design.

3) Tires - Goodyear offered to replace the RSA's with new RSA's around 20,000 miles, or give me a credit for the amount and I could get different tires, now I realize that I shouldn't have settled for that as I paid the price difference for a better tire. Brand new Goodyear Assurance touring tires are really nice for me, but not the sportiest tire, anyway it fixed the steering vibration after almost a year of rebalancing.

I support the momentum here and if anyone has had success in Atlanta's Nissan dealerships please let me know the details!!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:48 PM

5th Seat Frame

I Just had it put in today. Works fine; for now.
The extended warranty covered the cost. I would imagine that the 4 seat frames that I have had put into my car have cost Nissan at least $4,000.00. While the extended warranty has certainly paid for itself, I am very disappointed in Nissan quality.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM

What did you have installed ? Did Nissan come up with an official fix ? I had it fixed twice already...

Rob
Old 04-10-2013, 08:23 PM

This seat is a rockin'

The dealership put in another seat frame. Part # 87351-9N24B. I am not sure if this is the updated part, but it is the 4th time I have had a new frame put in. I believe that have had this part number put in before only to fail eventually.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:10 PM

OK thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have been experiencing this issue since day one, had the seat frame or whatever replaced three times and nothing has changed.

The dealer "compared" the seat to another Maxima on the lot and decided that it was "intended" and "normal" for Maximas and will not do anything to help fix the problem.

I have talked to Corporate Nissan about it, opened a case, of course they sided with the dealer's decision that it's "normal to have a rocking seat in a car" and will not do anything else to help me.

My quick fix and please you may have to stop yourself from laughing, because it's such a ridiculous fix.

Simply place a towel, under the seat, the exact location is bottom right portion of the seat, in-between the rail and seat. It seems to have done the trick. It's not perfect, but better than having a rocking seat.

Good luck everyone.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Driver seat rocking

My 2009 Maxima has started the rocking seat symptoms. I will take it to the dealer with the NTB09-092B information and hope they fix it.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Had the seat base in my 2012 replaced by the dealer and seems to have done the trick.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM

My dealership is saying that this is not covered under the factory extended warranty because it is considered a trim piece. Last I checked, it was a bottom seat assembly. I see a couple trim pieces that are part of the bulletin, but that does not seem to be the failed part. I do not know how to proceed with this problem.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 PM

Contact a better dealer.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 AM

I'm actually at the dealership now and told them ....."My passenger and drivers seat shake when im on the highway. I've rotated and balanced my tires twice and this issue keeps coming up."
and boom I got 2 new seats for my 12' maxima (20k miles) ordered just like that!

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 AM

Hello, new 2010 SV owner here. I experience this in my seat but unfortunately the warranty is up. Should I even bother going to the dealer with the NTB09-092b in hand or am I up Crap Creek?

I do have an extended warranty from an outside company...but I'm not sure they'll bite on it, either.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:41 AM

No more Seat Problems

I traded in my 2009 SV Premium on a 2013 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 manual. No more Nissan quality problems.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Chicken Daddy
No more Seat Problems

I traded in my 2009 SV Premium on a 2013 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 manual. No more Nissan quality problems.

My 2012 Maxima has had the passenger seat vibrating for a few months now too. I took it in, and got the same BS about not being able to reproduce the squeek. Interestingly enough, I've been thinking about trading for an Accord too on this Black Friday sale. I love the Max though, other than this issue. I might try the TSB route too though and see where it gets me. I would think Honda will do nice Christmas sale too, so a few more weeks wont hurt.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by kition80
My 2012 Maxima has had the passenger seat vibrating for a few months now too. I took it in, and got the same BS about not being able to reproduce the squeek. Interestingly enough, I've been thinking about trading for an Accord too on this Black Friday sale. I love the Max though, other than this issue. I might try the TSB route too though and see where it gets me. I would think Honda will do nice Christmas sale too, so a few more weeks wont hurt.
It took me two tries to get my dealer to admit that the driver seat was rocking. They then replaced the base and it's been done ever since. Sounds like I'm the exception and not the rule. A buddy of mine just bought a 2014 sport. He's a big dude going about 250 and hasn't had a seat issues so far so time will tell. On another hand, I just had the dealer replace both side view mirrors for the second time due to water in the signal lights. Nissan seems to have an issue fixing know problems.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow... thought I was nuts because of this problem. Blows my mind other folks have the same problem.

2009 here with 40k miles. Wonder if I can get it fixed through extended warranty.

D.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:23 PM

I had this same seat problem in my 2010 Murano and in my 2010 Maxima. Luckily in both instances they didn't give me the runaround and just changed them out. Although, my Maxima seat trim was not put on correctly and had to be readjusted. This will probably be my last Maxima as I need towing capability and will probably look to get back into the SUV market in the next 2 or 3 years.

Last edited by Maxgig; 12-01-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I set up an appointment for Tuesday (tomorrow) at my local Nissan dealer, and wouldn't you know it, no vibration today during my drive to work. Usually I get some vibrating along a couple of roads, but today other than some small sounds here and there, nothing. I looked over and the seat was vibrating just a little, but not enough to produce a sound. If it's the same on the drive home, I may just cancel the appointment and wait until it does it again, since I know I will be told that they couldn't reproduce the issue.

The only thing that changed was that my wife sat in the passenger seat on Thursday when we drove to her parent's house for Thanksgiving. I wonder if someone sitting on the seat "fixes" the problem for a while, until the shakes and rattling pop the seat back from where it should be, and starts the vibrating again. Anyone experienced this?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by barkins

My quick fix and please you may have to stop yourself from laughing, because it's such a ridiculous fix.

Simply place a towel, under the seat, the exact location is bottom right portion of the seat, in-between the rail and seat. It seems to have done the trick. It's not perfect, but better than having a rocking seat.

Good luck everyone.
Anyone else tried this? Bottom right from the vantage point of you sitting on the seat (where the back passengers right leg would be) or if you were starting at it looking towards the back (where the drivers left heel would be driving the vehicle)? Any issues with the towel and the automatic seat adjust? It might be jury rigged, but I'll take it.

Aside from the seat rocking, my only complaint with the vehicle is the wind noise from the back right passenger. It's coming from the small window and the weather stripping appears to be fine and sealing properly. Incredibly annoying on highway excursions.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM

My drivers seat doesnt rock, but every once in a while i notice it is too far back and have to tilt the backrest slightly back up, and it kind of makes a grinding or something loose sound and then moves back. If I hit the seat memory it goes back to where it should so it's like the seat is kind of getting pushed back. Is this the issue that you all had?
Old 11-26-2014, 04:33 PM

anyone have any other fixes? I'm surprised nobody has tried to take it apart and see what really is going on.. I would like to fix my seat..
Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 AM

No one has looked into a homemade fix?

I am still trying to figure out the best positiin to minimize tge rocking .. leaning back or leaning forward more..

Plus maybe its me but id swear my seat moves around on me.been having a hard time getting the right position. . sometimes I think I can feel the lumbar moving
Old 12-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by andremike

I am still trying to figure out the best positiin to minimize tge rocking .. leaning back or leaning forward more..

Plus maybe its me but id swear my seat moves around on me.been having a hard time getting the right position. . sometimes I think I can feel the lumbar moving
I find that if the seat is all the way down it doesn't rock as much. I'm tall, so that position works for me. If your lumbar is moving around, I think you have a dead Nissan workers soul inside the seat, sorry this requires exorcism...and is not covered by Nissan warranty. Consult the Higher Authority ;O)

Last edited by KGMtech; 12-09-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 PM

My seat moves around too, especially the recline. It's like the seat memory doesn't work correctl, it loses the set position. I had this same problem in my denali, along with a bunch of other people, it was referred to as the gm seat creep.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:45 AM

Seems like if I lower the front of the seat, all the way down, the rocking is gone. Even if the rear of the seat is up. Unfortunalty this is an uncomfortable position.. Even to have the seat all the way down is just to low. Anyone have any blow up of the parts under the seat? Curious how it all comes apart, and what part might be causing the rocking.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 AM

Seems like if I lower the front of the seat, all the way down, the rocking is gone. Even if the rear of the seat is up. Unfortunalty this is an uncomfortable position.. Even to have the seat all the way down is just to low. Anyone have any blow up of the parts under the seat? Curious how it all comes apart, and what part might be causing the rocking.
For optimal driving position, your eye sight should horizontally centered with the windshield. BMW and Porsche* recommend this. Look up the FSM for the Maxima, there should be a full parts list. The issue is with the seat railing if I remember.

*Dependent on Porsche model, some seats cannot be adjusted height wise. Having the seat at the lowest position will give you a better feel to the car's chassis, but if you can't see where you're going, you can't control the car!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:56 PM

I was thinking about this and I think the weight of the driver has a lot to do with this. That's all I'm saying........
Old 02-13-2015, 01:45 PM

Bringing my car in next week for the fix.. part number87351-9N24B

Hope it works.. and they don't screw anything up while in there..
Old 07-23-2015, 06:09 PM

I'm 270 + lbs. 6'5"

Originally Posted by zoemayne
I was thinking about this and I think the weight of the driver has a lot to do with this. That's all I'm saying........
OK I'll give you that and i'm tall @ 6'5" so I've got the seat all the way down.

How many years has this thread been running and there's still no fix ?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:44 AM

6, six years. {
Old 08-12-2015, 06:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Seat issue

My 2012 is out of warranty and Clay Nissan in MA says it's a design flaw and that replacing the frame with the TSB will NOT fix it. He said they've seen it over and over again. Opened a case with Nissan and they closed my case because Clay Nissan is saying it's operating "within normal limits" and can't be resolved. Nissan refused the fix. Any suggestions? Is there no way to mickey mouse a fix for this?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:35 AM

My seat frame was replaced under warranty about a year ago and it's been fine. Sounds like they are giving you the business.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question was it repaired ? and how?

Hi all,

i have of course the same annoying issue of the moving seat.

had anyone got it repaired without replacing the full seat frame ( part# 87301MA) ?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:18 PM

Dammit, now I've got this too.

Had a very slight bit of back and forth play when I got it but now rocks back and forth like granny's damn rocker on the front porch. It's so bad that it rocks forward at least an inch or two when I hit the brakes for a red light and then back again when I accelerate.

I hate to have this problem on an otherwise amazing car. And I'm probably just beyond the warranty even though I'm at less than 36k miles.

If I ever get some spare time I'd like to take the seat out and find out what's going on in there. I know I'm probably fishing at straws here, but I can't believe there isn't a recall for this as a potential safety issue. My driving position changes every time I brake or accelerate. If my wife's SUV had a recall cause some idiot hit the ignition key and shut the car off, this should be worth the $2 washer it would probably take for Nissan to fix it.

Oh, and I'm not small but I'm not exceptionally big or heavy either. 6'0" 220 pounds.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 2009 maxima had a rocking drivers seat when I bought it new. The dealer replaced the entire seat and that fixed the problem. I just bought a 2016 maxima and now this car has the same problem with the drivers seat after just 500 miles!!!!! Can't Nissan get it right from 2009 to 2016? I am short and not a heavy guy (160#'s). It's not me! Seat rocks when first accelerating and also when making a complete stop.This is not the only problem with my 2016 Maxima. I am starting to have buyers remorse. 2016 Maxima quality alert!!!!

Last edited by eriemax16; 11-30-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:03 PM

Any new developments on this issue? My seat is really loose again. Back to the dealer for replacement.

Quick Reply: Front driver seat fix from Nissan!!