7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Mandated Nissan NS-2 and Mag-Moss Act.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Dad

Mandated Nissan NS-2 and Mag-Moss Act.

We've all seen the following regarding mandated use of Nissan's 2009 CVT oil.

Use only Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid
NS-2. Do not mix with other fluids.
Using transmission fluid other than
Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-2 will
damage the CVT, which is not covered
by the NISSAN new vehicle limited
warranty.

Is it, or isn't it, provided without charge per Magnuson-Moss Act?

Anyone have a determination on paper?

BTW, I like this CVT.

But my son's Trans Am Borg/Warner Super T-10 4 speed tranny is still scary-cool.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM

If performing any normal service and maintenance work then the customer pays, anything else like a warranty repair or a TSB were fluid needs to be removed and then replaced, that will be covered by Nissan
Old 07-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Good question. I am sure the dealer will know.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dad
We've all seen the following regarding mandated use of Nissan's 2009 CVT oil.

warranty.

Is it, or isn't it, provided without charge per Magnuson-Moss Act?

Anyone have a determination on paper?

BTW, I like this CVT.

But my son's Trans Am Borg/Warner Super T-10 4 speed tranny is still scary-cool.
Why would it be provided without charge?? Please show me the section of the law that you think this applies to: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtm

The Max also requires 91 Octane gas but since 87 & 89 are available I think Nissan must pay me the difference? LMAO
Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

There are plenty of manufactures that specify the use of a specific oil or the warranty is voided. This is nothing new, and not covered by the M-M act. Just because no oil manufactures have produced an oil to meet Nissans specifications is not Nissan's fault. I think all those GT-R owners that have to get $1000 transmission oil changes have a bigger argument than you do anyway.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
There are plenty of manufactures that specify the use of a specific oil or the warranty is voided. This is nothing new, and not covered by the M-M act. Just because no oil manufactures have produced an oil to meet Nissans specifications is not Nissan's fault. I think all those GT-R owners that have to get $1000 transmission oil changes have a bigger argument than you do anyway.
I am pretty sure if you can afford a GT-R you can afford a $1000 tranny oil change. For God sakes, they a have a GT-R what do they have to complain about!

Edit: I better keep my mouth shut. Don't want to start another tear jerking "why doesn't it have a manual" topic.

Last edited by Mreim769; 07-07-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:58 PM

My dealer is using 10W30 on my Maxima>
Old 07-07-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by swatcop

Not in your CVT tranny, I hope.

As far as in the engine, the dealers around me that I have checked with are all using regular 10W-30 dino oil during warm seasons and regular 5W-30 dino oil during cool seasons.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Dad

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Please show me the section of the law that you think this applies to:
FTC regulations state: (c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. (15 U.S.C.2302(C))

and from the AMSOIL site:

"Every major engine oil manufacturer has introduced synthetic oils of their own. To be sure, many original equipment manufacturers would like you to believe you can only use their products. However, it's a violation of the consumer protections set forth in the Magnuson-Moss Act, unless they're willing to provide you those products free of charge."

Sorry to upset you, but I think this fits EXACTLY what Nissan wrote in our manuals: Nissan made a CVT completely dependant on its own Nissan brand of replacement fluids.

warranty.

I'm curious as to why you guys insist and fight and argue to pay cash at home something you should be getting free of charge. Or until you're allowed to get it somewhere else without repercussions.

I just want to see if anyone has seen it this way?

Now the engine ester oil is moot as it is recommended, not required.

Last edited by Dad; 07-07-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:18 PM

It reads to me, Nissan is to provide the CVT oil change free of charge unless subsection (1) and (2) are met.
Of course, this is just my opinion based on the snipit posted, I haven't read the whole M-M act...yet. Surely, Nissan has done their homework on this issue already and are skirting around the M-M act fringe somehow.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Dad

Well, close. Nissan provide the oil. If you have the dealer do a change, you pay for service, filter.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Love my '09

Um DAD, the CVT oil is different than the engine oil, but you're quoting info for engine oil. (filter, service, amsoil)

More than likely, since the CVT is a sealed oil system, you'll never need to replace it for 100K+ miles or more.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dad
Well, close. Nissan provide the oil. If you have the dealer do a change, you pay for service, filter.
Kinda sounds like a waste of time and energy, I have better things to do then fight with service writer who knows nothing about cars except the regurgitated crap they keep spewing

Nothing in life is free, if your looking to save money don't buy a car Only being forced to buy one fluid does make sense, Toyota has been doing it for years, whatever, I hate the fact that I can get a speeding ticket and my cars are in perfect like new condition and yet the roads are full of cars that should not be street legal.

The system is setup to take advantage of the average individual, hence why Im going back to school, I want to be prepared financially with a good career and job path so that when Im force to pay these stupid fees or fines, I can and continue with my life, without missing a beat
Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Love my '09

Oh and if you wanna even smile more. it's around $23 a quart and your CVT holds about 7. Add in labor, and it'll be around $500 total. Now the question is. WHO has equivalent NS-2 CVT oil for aftermarket purchase???
Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by swatcop
You better sue'em... LOL
Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Oh and if you wanna even smile more. it's around $23 a quart and your CVT holds about 7. Add in labor, and it'll be around $500 total. Now the question is. WHO has equivalent NS-2 CVT oil for aftermarket purchase???
$23.00 seems very high I've seen it (Genuine Nissan NS-2) sold for $15.00 not on sale.

Actually these companies have it.... But until we know more I wouldn't recommend straying from Genuine Nissan but I think in a few years were going to see several more options and as warranties expire people will try these aftermarket alternatives.

http://www.eneos.us/products.php?pk=8 (Aftermarket)

http://www.streetunit.com/Eneos_CVT_p/en-cvt.htm (Aftermarket)

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...8&categoryID=8 (Aftermarket)

https://www.performancenissanparts.c...ducts/?id=3914 (Factory Nissan)

http://www.fuchs.com.au/WhatsNews.asp (Aftermarket)

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 07-07-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM

If the 09 Maxima takes NS-2 fluid, I take it the 2 means 2nd generation CVT, and from what I have read the 2nd generation CVT is in the 09 Maxima and 09 Murano, I take it the 6.5 Gen Max and the 4th Gen V6 Altima have the 1st Gen CVT, does anyone know the answer
Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't know about generations but the manual I got with my 2003 Murano says to use NS-2 tranny fluid.

BTW, does anybody know if Jiffy Lube uses NS-2?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Coldiron
I don't know about generations but the manual I got with my 2003 Murano says to use NS-2 tranny fluid.

BTW, does anybody know if Jiffy Lube uses NS-2?
Just call a bunch of local Nissan Dealers and see what they quote you on a CVT trans fluid change/flush, I would avoid Jiffy Lube
Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
If the 09 Maxima takes NS-2 fluid, I take it the 2 means 2nd generation CVT, and from what I have read the 2nd generation CVT is in the 09 Maxima and 09 Murano, I take it the 6.5 Gen Max and the 4th Gen V6 Altima have the 1st Gen CVT, does anyone know the answer
NS-2 is just the fluid part number and not the CVT version

The 03-06 Murano (maybe 07 too) had the first CVT and Nissan used that as the production test model -- lots of complaints/failures so Nissan took all the info and improved the CVT. This time they added the CVT to other Nissan vehicles (2007+ maxima/altima/sentra/versa/rogue/murano) -- pretty smooth overall except some "grinding" feeling around 20-30mph (atleast on my car, dealer I bought it from said it was normal), but much more reliable than the 1st CVT. Nissan improved the CVT even further for the 2009+ cars and this one is completely smooth and I'm guessing more reliable than the 2nd CVT

Not sure if everything is accurate but thats what I gathered before buying my 07 back in Nov -- biggest thing for me was that Nissan extended the CVT warranty to 10yr/120k miles or else I wouldnt have bought the car
Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
Kinda sounds like a waste of time and energy, I have better things to do then fight with service writer who knows nothing about cars except the regurgitated crap they keep spewing
Don't you work for a Nissan dealer?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by IH8SPM
Don't you work for a Nissan dealer?
I did, makes it hard taking my car to the dealer knowing what I know
Old 07-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

versa cvt

My 09 Versa cracked its head @ 150,000 and @155,000 The CVT lost drive. Nissan won't warranty. My Maint. manual what I recall said to change fluid pull plug and drain install plug and fill. Then remove one end of CVT cooler hose, start, run until clean fluid appears 8-9 Qts. When I had two dealerships change fluid they only pulled plug installed plug and added 5 qts. Is this why my car is dead and I'm out. A throw away car.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:15 PM

It's doubtful. It probably failed because you put 155k miles on a Versa in 5-6 years. That averages out to 25k miles a year or so. It's unfortunate but getting 150k plus miles on the original tranny can be considered somewhat normal.

Last edited by ThinBlue82; 07-26-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Normal?

Originally Posted by ThinBlue82
It's doubtful. It probably failed because you put 155k miles on a Versa in 5-6 years. That averages out to 25k miles a year or so. It's unfortunate but getting 150k plus miles on the original tranny can be considered somewhat normal.
If transmission replacement is required at 155,000 say so. I gave good money to have a car to drive and I got crap. I have had several with 200,000 and no transmission problems, driving one now. That comes to $3,600 per year it cost me and now I have nothing. Is a cracked head normal also? Almost all miles were interstate. I'm going to find a good car that is not junk at 155,000. So its normal that a Versa is good only for 155,000? A throw away car. Kia here I come.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 PM

They did a drain & fill of the trans fluid instead of a full flush which is fine -- I doubt a full flush would have made a difference. Unfortunately car parts do fail which is a risk that you take after the warranty expires -- highly doubt any car company would give a courtesy repair @ 155k since its well past the warranty period

I'm sure there are plenty of 150k+ mileage Versa owners without a major problem and I'm sure there are some with problems -- unfortunately you ended up being one of the unlucky ones. You can either look for a used trans (if you can find it for cheap) or just cut your loss and get rid of the car for whatever amount you can get and move on

Versa forums you might want to visit:
http://www.nissanversaforums.com/forum.php
http://forums.nicoclub.com/versa-general-chat.html
Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by runyandl
My 09 Versa cracked its head @ 150,000 and @155,000 The CVT lost drive. Nissan won't warranty. My Maint. manual what I recall said to change fluid pull plug and drain install plug and fill. Then remove one end of CVT cooler hose, start, run until clean fluid appears 8-9 Qts. When I had two dealerships change fluid they only pulled plug installed plug and added 5 qts. Is this why my car is dead and I'm out. A throw away car.
When was this CVT fluid change, it sounds like you drove the car on factory fluids until it gave out
Old 07-29-2014, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by runyandl
If transmission replacement is required at 155,000 say so. I gave good money to have a car to drive and I got crap. I have had several with 200,000 and no transmission problems, driving one now. That comes to $3,600 per year it cost me and now I have nothing. Is a cracked head normal also? Almost all miles were interstate. I'm going to find a good car that is not junk at 155,000. So its normal that a Versa is good only for 155,000? A throw away car. Kia here I come.
I certainly understand your frustration, however, you have to realize maintaining a car above 100k can be difficult. As one of the postings above stated, I am sure there are a number of Versa's above 150k without any significant issues. Perhaps you weren't so lucky. Again, you have to realize you have twice the "normal" mileage for a 2009 vehicle. Ideally, you should have only had 60-75k miles on your car but you had twice that so it's only logical that you encountered twice the mechanical issues for a car that age. This doesn't even take into consideration your service intervals for things like oil changes and flushes. Personally, I would've had the trans fluid changed at least 3-4 times given the mileage but that's me. Either way, sorry for your loss guy and enjoy your KIA!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:00 AM

sounds like runyandl never changed the fluid until 155k.... thats your fault. Fluid could of needed to be changed at 40k depending on its condition.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:39 AM

And to you guys complaining the cvt fluid is expensive its actually not. Its cheaper than an oil change. ~$160 at 60/100k miles is nothing compared to however much you pay in oil changes every 4k etc miles. Its over $5k to replace the tranny so try and save up $100... you did pay over $30k for the car....
Old 07-29-2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
sounds like runyandl never changed the fluid until 155k.... thats your fault. Fluid could of needed to be changed at 40k depending on its condition.
Nissan is funny, cause most dealerships are telling people it never needs to be changed, or to change it every 150k or something insane. Just so happens they tell them to change it AFTER the CVT warranty has expired, and then void your warranty if you didn't have them change the fluid?

this is why I just went with the Amsoil synthetic, cheaper and better and has a warranty-lock (Amsoil fights with you if they deny you)
Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Nissan is funny, cause most dealerships are telling people it never needs to be changed, or to change it every 150k or something insane. Just so happens they tell them to change it AFTER the CVT warranty has expired, and then void your warranty if you didn't have them change the fluid? this is why I just went with the Amsoil synthetic, cheaper and better and has a warranty-lock (Amsoil fights with you if they deny you)
I know you mentioned there were reviews on the amsoil cvt fluid in the facebook groups but I haven't seen them, how has the amsoil been working in your car? Have you noticed any differences?
Old 10-18-2014, 05:02 PM

Amsoil has a NS-2 compatible fluid?? Very cool. I probably will just stick with NS-2. It has done well for 120,000 miles....and yes, I have changed it 3 times so far.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
Amsoil has a NS-2 compatible fluid?? Very cool. I probably will just stick with NS-2. It has done well for 120,000 miles....and yes, I have changed it 3 times so far.
They do have a CVT fluid and they say it's compatible and have a test on their site comparing NS-2 and their fluid, I can't seem to find any independent reviews for it yet though.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:46 AM

There's a bunch of us running it now without problems. You'll need 10.8 quarts to do a full swap out of the OEM fluid. There's a procedure for how to do this, you basically do a normal drain/fill, but before refilling you cycle 1 quart at a time through the system while adding the new stuff, there's a DIY on my7thgen.org for it. I added my trans temp gauge afterwards so don't know how much it helped specifically, but that + my trans cooler and my trans temps are 130-180 now. Operational range for the CVT is 180-220 so that's great - no more limp mode and getting stuck at 4k rpms.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
There's a bunch of us running it now without problems. You'll need 10.8 quarts to do a full swap out of the OEM fluid. There's a procedure for how to do this, you basically do a normal drain/fill, but before refilling you cycle 1 quart at a time through the system while adding the new stuff, there's a DIY on my7thgen.org for it. I added my trans temp gauge afterwards so don't know how much it helped specifically, but that + my trans cooler and my trans temps are 130-180 now. Operational range for the CVT is 180-220 so that's great - no more limp mode and getting stuck at 4k rpms.
That's good news, thanks for the info! I'll be ready to change out in the spring.