7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
View Poll Results: Are you committed to buying an R2C Intake once available?
Yes. I am patiently waiting.
71.43%
No. I'm not sure why I even voted.
28.57%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

R2C Performance Products Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:27 PM

I just put mine in and I have a very small tube left over that comes from the tranny, and I don't remember if it was connected to the old intake. It looks to me like it just hangs there?

The sound is worth the money alone and everybody is right, the videos don't do it justice. The best sounding intake I've ever had. I'm making a trip down to Charlotte this weekend, I'll get more of a feel for any performance gains then.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD
I just put mine in and I have a very small tube left over that comes from the tranny, and I don't remember if it was connected to the old intake. It looks to me like it just hangs there?

The sound is worth the money alone and everybody is right, the videos don't do it justice. The best sounding intake I've ever had. I'm making a trip down to Charlotte this weekend, I'll get more of a feel for any performance gains then.
the tube just hang there. nothing to worry
Old 11-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Glenns25
Installed mine this weekend and I have the Racingline front strut bar. Hate to be a downer but you have to trim a lot more than the rubber gasket to get the bar back down over the box. I had to use a dremel cutting wheel and a file to get this thing to fit. Had to trim almost an inch down and all along the back panel of the box. But once done, a super nice tight fit. And when you look at it, it looks like the box was custom fit to the bar. I like it. Sounds great too.
try to post picture of it so members with the racingline front strut bar will see how/where to cut.. i did the same with the stillen strut
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by nycxchunk
Hey guys I just finished installing the intake. Overall the intake is great, and it has impressive gains and very aggressive sound. The installation was very simple and it only took about an hour, the mounting bars are a bit off so it takes some jiggling to get it to match up but you'll get it. The intake is very high quality, and doesn't feel flimsy at all. The video I'm posting up doesn't really do the intake any justice, it sounds MUCH more aggressive then in the video. The gains are very noticeable and you'll def be satisfied with it. I would recommend this intake to anyone who hasn't got one yet!

Heres the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irWMGbGtuio

Not trying to sound like an A$$ but how do you know about the "gains"??

Buttdyno?? Do you have some program to measure these gains? I use the SpeedView program in my EVO phone to measure my 0-60 performance and 1/4 mile performance to see if any differences in before and after with the BD unit.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Not trying to sound like an A$$ but how do you know about the "gains"??

Buttdyno?? Do you have some program to measure these gains? I use the SpeedView program in my EVO phone to measure my 0-60 performance and 1/4 mile performance to see if any differences in before and after with the BD unit.

the gains are on the actual website, they have the dyno results. Also you can feel the difference in terms of gain when u put the new intake in, thats what i meant. I also have the dyno on my iphone but i dont really trust it lol
Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 AM

I was seriously thinking about buying this intake, but once again it's only a short-ram style. Even with the heatshield sealed up against the hood, you're not getting any more "cool" air vs. the stock airbox setup that brings in fresh air directly from the upper right portion of the grille.

These VQ engines produce a significant amount of heat. I've been in talks with Altered Atmosphere Motorsports, and they can make a true CAI for my car. In the next month, going to drop my car off for them to develop a prototype true CAI setup. They can also make a larger TB, HFC's, etc.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 AM

the gains are on the actual website, they have the dyno results.
sorry but its impossible to get accurate numbers with the cvt tranny on a dyno, Ive tried and another member on here as well, Im not sure how r2c got there numbers
Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 AM

an engine dyno? maybe? lol
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
sorry but its impossible to get accurate numbers with the cvt tranny on a dyno, Ive tried and another member on here as well, Im not sure how r2c got there numbers
Exactly!! You beat me to it but I just don't think it's possible for them to get actual numbers before and after on a dyno.

Buttdynoes do make an impression so much so that people determine on their own that mods they add make a significant gain that they just feel it, I guess
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 AM

the gains are on the actual website, they have the dyno results.

I'm really surprised they would post those results....

The results they have are worse than what I got when I put my car on the dyno. Look closely you'll see how the CVT screws up the chart, it's just a bunch of spikes. I applaud them for trying and don't misunderstand me their products are one of the best if not the very best available. My 370Z is very very happy...

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 11-03-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Yeah that chart is pretty funny... at least they did strap it up and do some runs.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 PM

On my way to E-town to test it on the track.I still have the 89 octane in it from last week that the wife filled it with.She thought she was doing good by filling it for me.but not with 89!.last week i ran 14.0@98.83 with 89 octane.today i will run it again with 89 unfortunatly but with the intake on too.the borla dropped 3 tenths off the times. lets hope the intake helps it.But i am only seeing a peak of 6200 RPM's.Bet its the timing being pulled due to the low octane.Wheres that thread on members having different rpm peaks and why?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM

If my Max wasn't leased I would be all over this intake.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:06 PM

Overall I love the intake, but i've noticed some weird issues after installing.

First, I now feel a vibration in the pedal at low rpms. Nothing major, but it vibrates.

I also sometimes feel a "pop" when i press the pedal. Almost as if there is something underneath it (which there isn't). This never happened before.

And finally, I lost the one touch window close, only on window up. What I mean by this is, I used to be able to close the window just by clicking all the way up on the lever. Then the window would close the rest of the way by itself. This doesn't work any more

You guys have any ideas on whats up with the above? My guess is something screwy happened when the electronics reset when I disconnected the battery?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MrTeek

First, I now feel a vibration in the pedal at low rpms. Nothing major, but it vibrates.

I also sometimes feel a "pop" when i press the pedal. Almost as if there is something underneath it (which there isn't). This never happened before.

And finally, I lost the one touch window close, only on window up. What I mean by this is, I used to be able to close the window just by clicking all the way up on the lever. Then the window would close the rest of the way by itself. This doesn't work any more

You guys have any ideas on whats up with the above? My guess is something screwy happened when the electronics reset when I disconnected the battery?
yea that happened to my window too. you have to look at the manual on how to activate the auto window up. i think its on 2-45 on the book
i dont feel any vibrate on low rpms and i will pay close attention to the pop if i hear that with mine
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 PM

Open the window all the way, then close the window, while closing the window hold the button up while its closing and 10 seconds after.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM

I installed mines today, went pretty smooth. It sounds similar to when I put the JWT popcharger on my 03 350z.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Until there is a tune for our cars its all a waste in my eyes.I got the same results at the track again and I can feel it backing off.Might as well say if you mod this car with out a tune its like going "Back to the futur" cause right around 88mph you can feel it backing off.I am loading up the HD youtube vids now of it.MPH and ET seem to be the same after each mod was added.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 PM

If you guys want to make your Maxi a fun car to drive, stop wasting your money on the intake. Upgrade your suspension and brakes. Also, stop wasting your money on heavy wheels. This car has a decent horsepower out of the box. You will enjoy when you can drive it hard, brake late and fast out in the corner.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 PM

I like those guys on 22"+ rims... lol

Suspension and engine mods are all important for us enthusiasts.

Are there even coilovers available yet for the 7th Gen? I know Eibach has springs, but that will only go so far. If you just go with springs, chances are, your OEM struts/shocks/endlinks are going to wear out quicker.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:55 AM

Question

Originally Posted by astigracing
If you guys want to make your Maxi a fun car to drive, stop wasting your money on the intake. Upgrade your suspension and brakes. Also, stop wasting your money on heavy wheels. This car has a decent horsepower out of the box. You will enjoy when you can drive it hard, brake late and fast out in the corner.

I agree about the brake thing, so what brand/s of brake do you recommend?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by SlkMax
I've had Brembo systems in the past, and loved them. I know AP Racing has a kit for the 7th Gen, and I think StopTech does as well.

I have driven my car pretty hard on long stretches of twisty asphalt, the fade does come into play, but that's not the caliper's fault. I think the stock binders are more than capable for hard street use, so I'm just going to put on a set of EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors with their "Red Stuff" pads. If you do some seriously hard driving and braking, might want to invest in some higher temp brake fluid (ATE Superblue or Motul RBF) to avoid catastrophic failure.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Juggernaut23
On my way to E-town to test it on the track.I still have the 89 octane in it from last week that the wife filled it with.She thought she was doing good by filling it for me.but not with 89!.last week i ran 14.0@98.83 with 89 octane.today i will run it again with 89 unfortunatly but with the intake on too.the borla dropped 3 tenths off the times. lets hope the intake helps it.But i am only seeing a peak of 6200 RPM's.Bet its the timing being pulled due to the low octane.Wheres that thread on members having different rpm peaks and why?
You might have lost a tenth or two by not having 91 or 93 in the tank. Honestly running mid grade might give up 5-10hp. 14.0 @ 98.8x is just a hair behind my car (bone stock) but glad to hear your Borla system knocked 3 tenths off your time! I plan on buying that system next year, which will hopefully have me running consistent 13.6x's and trapping about 101mph.

Don't worry about the RPM peak of 6,200 RPM's. Mine rips to 6,500 then settles in right about 6,200 by the 1,000ft mark. Seems to be a common trait.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 AM

StopTech, AP Racing, and Ksport

fade does come into play, higher temp brake fluid (ATE Superblue or Motul RBF) to avoid catastrophic failure.
This is what I use on all my cars.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 AM

How much would they run me? Where's a good place order them from?

I would be mostly impressed if it would be as good as an oem - BMW ///M braking.

Originally Posted by astigracing
StopTech, AP Racing, and Ksport

This is what I use on all my cars.

Last edited by SlkMax; 11-04-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by SlkMax
How much would they run me? Where's a good place order them from?

I would he mostly impressed if it would as good as an oem - BMW ///M braking.

Super Blue brake fluid is what I use on all my cars. I had the M5 front and rear brakes in my Bimmer.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ
You might have lost a tenth or two by not having 91 or 93 in the tank. Honestly running mid grade might give up 5-10hp. 14.0 @ 98.8x is just a hair behind my car (bone stock) but glad to hear your Borla system knocked 3 tenths off your time! I plan on buying that system next year, which will hopefully have me running consistent 13.6x's and trapping about 101mph.

Don't worry about the RPM peak of 6,200 RPM's. Mine rips to 6,500 then settles in right about 6,200 by the 1,000ft mark. Seems to be a common trait.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_oX1r-_lA

Here,watch the slug go.I dont even get the spike anymore.Prior to the intake it would peak a lil higher.It like the the more power that can be made the harder it will counter act the mods.I am not blaming the mods but the tune of the ecu and cvt management...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kmoney
yea that happened to my window too. you have to look at the manual on how to activate the auto window up. i think its on 2-45 on the book
i dont feel any vibrate on low rpms and i will pay close attention to the pop if i hear that with mine
Cool, thanks for the window tip. I'll try that out.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:47 PM

Here,watch the slug go.I dont even get the spike anymore.Prior to the intake it would peak a lil higher.It like the the more power that can be made the harder it will counter act the mods.I am not blaming the mods but the tune of the ecu and cvt management...
I saw that was a Stang you lined up against and he left you in the dust, what time did you run??
Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM

14.4@98.83mph with a 2.234 60' do the math.the car compensated its gains.you can clearly feel it.builing a bluetooth logger as we speak to take some samples. We need some detailed facts of the logic of the ecu/cvt with mods.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 PM

14.4@98.83mph with a 2.234 60' do the math.the car compensated its gains.you can clearly feel it.builing a bluetooth logger as we speak to take some samples. We need some detailed facts of the logic of the ecu/cvt with mods.
So that Stang had to run a mid to low 13(s)??
Old 11-05-2010, 05:29 AM

Ahhh man yeah your hole shot was definitely bogged down. I hear from the 350 and 370Z guys that when they run a better CAI and CBE, a tune is needed to get the most out of the mods. Simply resetting the PCM won't do you much good. I know the Z folks say with simple bolt-on mods that it typically leans out the A/F mixture a bit.

I ran a best of 13.93 @ 100.45 bone stock (10,000 miles on the odo). What were the conditions at the track? (i.e. Sea Level, ambient temps, humidity, track temp)
Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM

You turned off VDC, right? jk lol
Old 11-05-2010, 07:36 PM

YES, I do feel a good hard pull from 30-88 mph but anything below or above that i can feel it hold back alot.so its not the mods fault at all.The mods i have are well made and pretty well thought out and will eventually show nice gains.But in the meantime i bet if i went back to just a ypipe and no air filter in stock airbox it would show the best times vs all my mods ...
Old 11-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Here is what it looked like striped from the stock intake and to the R2C intake.It sure is big!Thats what she said.lol.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Niiiice! Yeah, that is HUGE! lol
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM

Question Window issue!

Cool, thanks for the window tip. I'll try that out.
Did that fix your problem? Before i get mine I want to make sure there are no issues!

Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 AM

yes it fixes the window issue if you just hold the window button up for like 5 seconds, when u remove the grounding terminal from the battery it resets everything in the car.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 AM

yes it fixes the window issue if you just hold the window button up for like 5 seconds, when u remove the grounding terminal from the battery it resets everything in the car.

Ok good, so how is it working out for you, happy ?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM

some photo of the black nickel and polished finished for anyone still thinking of purchasing the R2C intake
Photo sent from Ed via email

Quick Reply: R2C Performance Products Intake