7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official CVT vs Manual Transmission Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2011_maxima
well... I am a little nervious as well I have a 2011 SV with 83k & am the second owner. I have not had any issues with it at all. the car "shifts" fine & still feels like it has plenty of power. The dealership rep said that it is "due" for the transmission service. I have asked about it & he said they do the fluid change & it is a new system where they "pressure flush"? the trans. I wonder if I should do it or just keep with my luck & not "mess anything up" related to the transmission??

thoughts or suggestions??

thanks!!
Always ignore dealers when they come to their recommended services that they make a killing on.

If your service manual that came with the car says to flush, flush. If not, don't. Dealers prey on FUD and overcharge for stuff people do not need. The manual is the one and only word on what maintenance any vehicle needs.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My advice

i would have done CVT service every 30,000 miles. These transmissions are temperamental and I would listen to him at Nissan and do entire flush. This would remove all old fluid and replace with new. I’m going to have mine changed every 20,000 miles. Also, only have a Nissan Dealer service the CVT. Do not take it anywhere else.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by stepjl
i would have done CVT service every 30,000 miles. These transmissions are temperamental and I would listen to him at Nissan and do entire flush. This would remove all old fluid and replace with new. I’m going to have mine changed every 20,000 miles. Also, only have a Nissan Dealer service the CVT. Do not take it anywhere else.
You can do it every 1000 if you makes you feel better, but the manual certainly doesn't say to do it. Nissan's engineers are consulted in creation of the service schedule. A dealership's motivation is to charge for as many maintenance items as possible, regardless of merit. This is also why people change oil on 10k intervals these days instead of the 5k interval that oil change shops still push for. Whether the CVT is inherently fragile or not, changing beyond the service schedule is most likely to result in nothing but a lighter wallet.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2014 maxima service and maintenance guide
for these vehicles with a cvt transmission, cube, murano, altima, altima coupe, maxima, rogue, v200, sentra, pathfinder (except hev), quest and versa, replace the cvt fluid every 60,000 miles or request the dealer to inspect the fluid deterioration data using a consult. If the deterioration data is more than 210000, replace the cvt fluid.
There's also mention of "Premium Maintenance" and "severe operating conditions" that at least suggests shorter intervals or in this case that possibly a lower deterioration data level might be reasonable for some drivers/driving conditions.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-12-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an 08 3.5 Altima 6sp sedan, and Ive driven my sister's 17 Maxima. I will have to say my Altima feels faster. Not by much, but it is, and its far more fun to drive. I also have a top speed of 145 vs her 135 so there is also that.

On a side note, I find it pretty comical when someone uses the words shift and CVT in the same sentence. I dont even know why Nissan has a manual mode or flappy paddles as an option. If you ask me, they should just include a **** to dial your engine:CVT ratio up or down or an RPM **** to constantly keep the engine at x RPM.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Flybye
On a side note, I find it pretty comical when someone uses the words shift and CVT in the same sentence. I dont even know why Nissan has a manual mode or flappy paddles as an option. If you ask me, they should just include a **** to dial your engine:CVT ratio up or down or an RPM **** to constantly keep the engine at x RPM.
Isn't that what the CVT does when you leave ratio changing to its programming? Never mind that a human driver isn't going to be any better at choosing from an infinitely variable transmission ratio than he is at picking from half a dozen or so specific steps. Probably not even as good. I can't imagine constantly fiddling with something like a rheostat for transmission control - separate from the engine's throttle - ever catching on.

That said, nobody has to use manual mode if they don't want to. It's only there for those who would.

Those more or less discrete "gearing" steps are not being provided for technical or operational reasons - it's for reasons involving subjective perceptions by customers/owners. Not everybody appreciates engine sounds and rpms that get way out of step with the actual road speed. For some, previous similar-feeling experience in other cars has meant that the clutch (MT) or a clutch or a band (AT) is slipping or it's an AT that's low on fluid. Which means a trip to the shop and potentially a big repair bill. For others, the so-called "motorboating" on initial acceleration is not the least bit satisfying . . . a roaring engine with only mild acceleration happening at maybe 5 mph?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-24-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by BillH
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I've got a 2010 leather-loaded Maxima with 148K on the odometer. I know that's correct because it had 3.1 miles on it when I bought it.

Probably 60/40 highway/city with absolutely no problems at all. I did a flush/refill at about 60K miles, but nothing since then. I'm not Ricky Racer, but neither do I baby it. The silly thing likes to go and so do I. It is indeed a fun car to drive.

Although I like not having a car payment, I'm getting a bit nervous. My question is: Do I risk keeping it for another year or two (30-40K)? Or am I pushing my luck with that? Or, OMG! should I trade it in tomorrow while it still runs and has value?

I'd appreciate any advice from the wiser folks on the board.

Thanks very much...

Bill
It's been a few months from this post but can I ask what you decided to do? I, too, have a 2010 Maxima and am at 143k (70 highway/30 city usage). Like you, I paid it off last year and am enjoying no car payments...but the thought of having the CVT randomly die is quite daunting especially on a highway.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by whit
curious to everyone thoughts on the cvt tranny i know there are many skeptics out there that say its the worst tranny built and they only last about 60k . My friend who has been a transmission mechanic for 20 yrs had a seminar and was told that the cvt tranny was being discontinued due to issues . ive heard alot of good things about this new redesign tho..

So how many miles do you guys have on your Maxima's ?? and transmission issues ??

thanks
I have 80,000 on a 2010 SV. I haven't had any problems. Changed the trans fluid at 70,000.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 AM

well... I decided to get the fluid changed afterall (dealer gave a big discount because of my hesitation). it all went well & now i have put approx. 1500mi since change & have not noticed any difference in "performance". i DID notice a burning smell for a few weeks though, i was a little nervious & then it slowly went away - I attributed it to "spilleage" on components & it was burning off. so far so good. "fingers crossed" lol!!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Guys,

i love shifting gears,been doing it well since 96,, i have a great respect for the Nissan maxima CVT its the closest an automatic transmission will ever get to a electric motor
Old 03-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exclamation Major Transmission issue. Car not moving.

Driving on the highway in heavy rain, I noticed vibration whenever I'd press the gas pedal. Was going 50 mph when all of a sudden my car would no longer accelerate. I pulled over to the shoulder and tried shifting into R, N, D, and even the electronic manual mode. Car would only Rev as if it were in neutral. Got it towed to my house and am trying to figure out where to start. Any ideas on what this issue could be?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:01 PM

I assume no Check Engine Light? Could be anything electric (you did say HEAVY rain?) to a hot transmission (although I am still leaning electric like the alternator or a bad connection/ground) I had somewhat of the same problem with my alternator failing and then again when one of my coil packs went south (felt jerky and really had to press on the accelerator to move) It may not be the CVT.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by stepjl
You are correct. These transmissions are very tempermental, and give no warning!
2011 Maxima here. I would avoid Nissan's CVT transmission like the plague!! I have no doubt there are some who have had no problems, but look just a bit and you will find MANY who have had disastrous problems. My experience. 1995 Maxima brand new. Transmission died within months of purchasing. Nissan took care of it, and I chalked it up to a rare fluke. I purchased an Infiniti I30 and sold at 72K miles no problems. Purchased a 2011 brand new. I think it was 78,000 miles and Transmission suffered a total suicide. NO HINT WHATSOEVER of any problem. Wife was driving and clunk clunk DEAD!! That fast. Absolutely, no warning. "be careful if buying even a used one." We were just outta of warranty. Appealed to corporate for help, discount, any consideration for a premature total transmission failure. NOTHING FROM NISSAN. $4,000 for a transmission with less than 80K miles, and Nissan turned the other way. My fault. I didn't look into it after the 1995 CVT nissan transmission failure because Nissan took care of it without issue (it was less than a year old!). 2nd Nissan auto I sold the I30 with only about 72K miles. 2011 brand new Maxima transmission goes out AGAIN with less than 80K miles?? And Nissan turns the other way! I started to look into it now. Nissan has had many problems with this CVT transmission. Look online! If Nissan had done the right thing and given a courtesy discount on an issue they know darn well was faulty, I think we all know, things happen. But to turn the other way and give the customer the finger because Nissan responsibility just ran out? Take me word for it. Replacing a transmission for $4000 is a HUGE hit, and you can't sell the car if it isn't running. It doesn't move when it dies. Stay away from Nissan's CVT is my advice/opinion if you plan on having it more the 50/60K miles. Maybe it'll make, maybe it won't. Wanna chance it with $4000?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by twoweeled
You are correct. These transmissions are very tempermental, and give no warning!
2011 Maxima here. I would avoid Nissan's CVT transmission like the plague!! I have no doubt there are some who have had no problems, but look just a bit and you will find MANY who have had disastrous problems. My experience. 1995 Maxima brand new. Transmission died within months of purchasing. Nissan took care of it, and I chalked it up to a rare fluke. I purchased an Infiniti I30 and sold at 72K miles no problems. Purchased a 2011 brand new. I think it was 78,000 miles and Transmission suffered a total suicide. NO HINT WHATSOEVER of any problem. Wife was driving and clunk clunk DEAD!! That fast. Absolutely, no warning. "be careful if buying even a used one." We were just outta of warranty. Appealed to corporate for help, discount, any consideration for a premature total transmission failure. NOTHING FROM NISSAN. $4,000 for a transmission with less than 80K miles, and Nissan turned the other way. My fault. I didn't look into it after the 1995 CVT nissan transmission failure because Nissan took care of it without issue (it was less than a year old!). 2nd Nissan auto I sold the I30 with only about 72K miles. 2011 brand new Maxima transmission goes out AGAIN with less than 80K miles?? And Nissan turns the other way! I started to look into it now. Nissan has had many problems with this CVT transmission. Look online! If Nissan had done the right thing and given a courtesy discount on an issue they know darn well was faulty, I think we all know, things happen. But to turn the other way and give the customer the finger because Nissan responsibility just ran out? Take me word for it. Replacing a transmission for $4000 is a HUGE hit, and you can't sell the car if it isn't running. It doesn't move when it dies. Stay away from Nissan's CVT is my advice/opinion if you plan on having it more the 50/60K miles. Maybe it'll make, maybe it won't. Wanna chance it with $4000?
You had a 1995 with a CVT? I don't think so as CVT's were first introduced in the 2007 version of the Maxima. Your 1995 Maxima probably had a 4 speed automatic or a 5 speed manual.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:17 PM

I have 115K on my 2011, I asked three dealers in the Cincinnati area about tranny flush @ 60K and all of them said: Don't touch it !
Old 11-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

curious to everyone thoughts on the cvt tranny i know there are many skeptics out there that say its the worst tranny built and they only last about 60k . My friend who has been a transmission mechanic for 20 yrs had a seminar and was told that the cvt tranny was being discontinued due to issues . ive heard alot of good things about this new redesign tho..

So how many miles do you guys have on your Maxima's ?? and transmission issues ??

thanks
I have a 2013 Maxima SV with 131-thousand miles. CVT still runs smooth and strong. All maintenance has been followed since day 1.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:39 AM

2011 Maxima, 117K miles, never had a tranny problem, Although it is advertised as a 4DSC ( Four Door Sports Car) if you drive it as a sports vehicle, you will have issues, I never did, and neither did my wife. After many conflicting stories about changing the tranny oil, I just had it done @ 116K miles, oil was very dark. The technician @ Performance Nissan in Cincinnati explained to me the top reasons for CVT tranny failure is due to low oil pressure in regards to the solenoid operation and bearing fatigue.He did not know the type of pump in the tranny ( gear, positive displacement, piston). After the oil change it runs good. I'm having the the spent tranny oil inspected by an independent diagnostic company.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:03 AM

Smile CVT Oil Change

248000 miles on my 2010. I drain and change every 30/35000,using Valvoline from Walmart.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mad greek
248000 miles on my 2010. I drain and change every 30/35000,using Valvoline from Walmart.
What oil particularly? I thought the specific CVT trans fluid was specific & expensive?My '12 Ti is now at 100Kkm.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:32 AM

Valvoline does carry CVT-specific transmission fluid. Prices that come up on an internet search vary a lot.

Whether any of the Valvoline stuff technically meets or exceeds Nissan's OEM standards is a whole 'nother question, though the Greek's post above suggests that at a change interval of 30k miles/50km it is at least adequate for the job.

Norm
Old 12-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Valvoline does carry CVT-specific transmission fluid. Prices that come up on an internet search vary a lot....Norm
Thanks.
The local Oz trusted oil provider has this. Apologies for the picture size.

Last edited by boxerboy81; 12-22-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks
Just bought this 2012 Maxima with 119K on it two days ago and today the CVT seems to be slipping, but only intermittently. Not jerking at all. Don't know what to thinki.