Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   Installing Paddle Shifters (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/615463-installing-paddle-shifters.html)

sgirgiss1214 06-12-2010 07:16 PM

Installing Paddle Shifters

Hey you guys think that If I get a non-sport or non-premium Maxima I can get the dealer to order the paddle shifter assembly for me? You guys think the S and SV are pre-wired for them? Any input is appreciated, Thanks!

carlosrg 06-12-2010 07:26 PM

You know I was all over the SV Sport, And then I saw the premium and while the sport has the wheels, springs, and the premium had features that are not easily retrofitted. The way dealers are dealing on some of the vehicles get close to 8k-9k off why not try to see if you can get your cake and eat it too..

D-STREET-ALTIMA 06-12-2010 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by sgirgiss1214 (Post 7599356)
Hey you guys think that If I get a non-sport or non-premium Maxima I can get the dealer to order the paddle shifter assembly for me? You guys think the S and SV are pre-wired for them? Any input is appreciated, Thanks!

well the paddle shifter only work with the SV engine not the S model..... make sure to get the sv engine..... i think that how it works..... hope im right

sgirgiss1214 06-12-2010 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by carlosrg (Post 7599364)
You know I was all over the SV Sport, And then I saw the premium and while the sport has the wheels, springs, and the premium had features that are not easily retrofitted. The way dealers are dealing on some of the vehicles get close to 8k-9k off why not try to see if you can get your cake and eat it too..

Yea the only thing I really like about the sport are the wheels and shifters, I will see if they can maybe do it for me or maybe I con convince them that I will take the car that day if they promise to install them for free.

sgirgiss1214 06-12-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by D-STREET-ALTIMA (Post 7599367)
well the paddle shifter only work with the SV engine not the S model..... make sure to get the sv engine..... i think that how it works..... hope im right

Yea Im definitely getting at least an SV, im not even considering getting an S. I really need that bose system, lol. I know a paddle shifetr kit for a g37 is about 275, so for Max it should be the same if not less.

sgirgiss1214 06-12-2010 07:55 PM

Another problem could be the manual steering column in the Maxima SV. The sport and Premium ahve the power tilt and telescopic column while SV has a manual one. I know this makes a difference for th kit for the g37 and therefore they make two kits for G37s one for manual column and one for the power column. I don't know if Nissan makes two kits like hey do for Infiniti. I'll have to ask around!

BLACKNESS MONSTA 06-13-2010 02:52 AM

No you cant just "install" paddle shifters...unless you wanna drop a ton of money. And there is no difference in engines :bonk:

sgirgiss1214 06-13-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA (Post 7599695)
No you cant just "install" paddle shifters...unless you wanna drop a ton of money. And there is no difference in engines :bonk:

If the car is pre-wired its just a plug and play affair, if it's not then your gonna have to make some changes in the wiring in the steering wheel. This is a common mod on non-sport g37 coupes and sedans, maybe it can be done on a Maxima.

ANNINO 06-14-2010 04:16 AM

Looking at the FSM diagrams, it looks like you need the electric steering column. The standard column doesn't appear to have the mounting brackets. I had a slight hope that this was not the case, becuase I would love the paddle shifters myself. Oh well.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2009/ST.pdf

sgirgiss1214 06-14-2010 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ANNINO (Post 7601187)
Looking at the FSM diagrams, it looks like you need the electric steering column. The standard column doesn't appear to have the mounting brackets. I had a slight hope that this was not the case, becuase I would love the paddle shifters myself. Oh well.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2009/ST.pdf

Yea I knew that was gonna be the problem. You think you can swap in for the electrical column or that would just lead to even more headache?

sgirgiss1214 06-14-2010 09:04 AM

It's not that I dont wanna pay the extra money for a sport with paddle shifters, I don't want a Sport bc I heard the ride is very harsh and on Staten Island streets, you will feel like your are off-roading. I just wanna try to find a solution for all this so I can just get an SV and dop the paddle shifters in it, I think with the amount of money already being spent on an SV upwards of 35k, they should've at least created a kit for manual steering wheel columns. They did it for Infiniti, heres the link,http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PADDL...Q5fAccessories

ANNINO 06-14-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by sgirgiss1214 (Post 7601433)
It's not that I dont wanna pay the extra money for a sport with paddle shifters, I don't want a Sport bc I heard the ride is very harsh and on Staten Island streets, you will feel like your are off-roading. I just wanna try to find a solution for all this so I can just get an SV and dop the paddle shifters in it, I think with the amount of money already being spent on an SV upwards of 35k, they should've at least created a kit for manual steering wheel columns. They did it for Infiniti, heres the link,http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PADDL...Q5fAccessories

I will try to take a look at my steering column just to be sure - it would be nice if it was possible.

If you have to go the other route, the electric steering column for the sport and premium packages is about $1100.00 on courtesyparts.com... That doesn't include labor, the actual paddles, or the shroud. I don't even know if you could find a shroud that has manual adjust with holes for the paddles... Too bad that Infiniti kit wouldn't fit...

CT Maxima 06-14-2010 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by sgirgiss1214 (Post 7601433)

The Sport version will be a negative on NYC streets.

Why not get the Premium? For a few thousand more, you get a lot of goodies, including the paddle shifters.

STARR 06-14-2010 04:03 PM

I forget which forums it is, but owners of FX35 have added the paddle shifters, might be freshalloy, or infinitiscene;)

ANNINO 06-14-2010 04:27 PM

I took the shroud off of my steering column today and I did see a taped-up unused two-wire plug. I couldn't see any way to mount the shifters though. There were no open bolt holes or anything.

sgirgiss1214 06-14-2010 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ANNINO (Post 7602236)
I took the shroud off of my steering column today and I did see a taped-up unused two-wire plug. I couldn't see any way to mount the shifters though. There were no open bolt holes or anything.

I think this project is a no go. I'm mad that Nissan didn't make an add on kit for thes 3.5 SV models. Thanks for your effort man, maybe in due time a solution will be found. I dont think it's worth paying 1100 bucks for an electric column and then maybe another 250 for the paddle kit.

sgirgiss1214 06-14-2010 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by CT Maxima (Post 7601767)
The Sport version will be a negative on NYC streets.

Why not get the Premium? For a few thousand more, you get a lot of goodies, including the paddle shifters.

Im thinking about it, but to tell you the truth I honestly don't like the dual roof. For some reason, and I hear all that glass right in the center of the car has it's effects when it comes to cornering.

sgirgiss1214 06-14-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by STARR (Post 7602211)
I forget which forums it is, but owners of FX35 have added the paddle shifters, might be freshalloy, or infinitiscene;)

I would look into this, because no FX35 models come with paddle shifters, so that means there must've been a mod somehere in the steering wheel assembly. Im gonna google it.

Flip2cho 06-15-2010 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA (Post 7599695)

He is correct. I remeber a member having to replace their electric motor I the steering column because it went out. It was all covered under warranty but the cost was somthingike $1400. I would just go with the sport or premium. Both had shifters. Before you decide you don't want the sport because of how you think it rides, go drive one and don't think but know yourself. I drove both of them and I didn't think the ride feel was a huge difference. (I know some are going to disagree and that's fine) The biggest thing is go feel for yourself and don't just go off of what someone else says. There is a different feel but it might not be as big of a difference as you have heard. Personally I like the way my Sport handles and rides. No complaints here.

I would also never want to get somthing that could be factory added after purchase. Have them special order anything to your wants if you don't find it on the lot. The sport is the only one that comes witha spoiler but some dealers order the premium with a spoiler add on from the factory fro
the begining because they like how it comepletes the look. And don't trust a dealer who says "yea we can add that for you". Get it from the factory, trust me!

carlosrg 06-15-2010 05:58 AM

So how many of you guys actually use your paddle shifters? I have had 3 cars with paddle shifters 99.99% of the time the car is auto. Also with this vehicle being front wheel drive torque steer is an issue as well. And lastly don't you still have the ability to do sport shift? So you can still get all the control without having to get the paddle shifters.

LtLeary 06-15-2010 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by carlosrg (Post 7602871)
So how many of you guys actually use your paddle shifters? I have had 3 cars with paddle shifters 99.99% of the time the car is auto. Also with this vehicle being front wheel drive torque steer is an issue as well. And lastly don't you still have the ability to do sport shift? So you can still get all the control without having to get the paddle shifters.

I use mine daily...I don't like braking with my foot so I use the paddles to downshift and slow me down for ramps, curves, etc. By leaving the "stick" in Drive, the temporary shifting on the wheel is perfect for my driving style and I keep my hands on the wheel. I could use the stick, but I like the convienence of the paddles.

Re: Torque Steer..I guess I'll have to "get on it" more than I do right now. I haven't experienced much of that.

sgirgiss1214 06-15-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho (Post 7602799)
He is correct. I remeber a member having to replace their electric motor I the steering column because it went out. It was all covered under warranty but the cost was somthingike $1400. I would just go with the sport or premium. Both had shifters. Before you decide you don't want the sport because of how you think it rides, go drive one and don't think but know yourself. I drove both of them and I didn't think the ride feel was a huge difference. (I know some are going to disagree and that's fine) The biggest thing is go feel for yourself and don't just go off of what someone else says. There is a different feel but it might not be as big of a difference as you have heard. Personally I like the way my Sport handles and rides. No complaints here.

I would also never want to get somthing that could be factory added after purchase. Have them special order anything to your wants if you don't find it on the lot. The sport is the only one that comes witha spoiler but some dealers order the premium with a spoiler add on from the factory fro
the begining because they like how it comepletes the look. And don't trust a dealer who says "yea we can add that for you". Get it from the factory, trust me!

Im going to test drive the Sport and see how the ride feels, but you have to understand that NYC is full of broken roads and Im worried that the sport setup on the suspension won't hold up against it, but I am taking your advice and will test drive the sport first and see how I like i.

carlosrg 06-15-2010 08:27 AM

Maybe I can suggest you drive the sport buy the sport then sell the 19s for some 18s? IE I am sure someone would trade you there 18s for a your set of 19s plus some cash.

Originally Posted by sgirgiss1214 (Post 7603015)
Im going to test drive the Sport and see how the ride feels, but you have to understand that NYC is full of broken roads and Im worried that the sport setup on the suspension won't hold up against it, but I am taking your advice and will test drive the sport first and see how I like i.

sgirgiss1214 06-15-2010 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by carlosrg (Post 7603022)
Maybe I can suggest you drive the sport buy the sport then sell the 19s for some 18s? IE I am sure someone would trade you there 18s for a your set of 19s plus some cash.

Na no way, thats another reason I really deep down like the sport, bc of those beatiful 19inch wheels, I would definitley not want those 18s.

Ricko 06-15-2010 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho (Post 7602799)
The sport is the only one that comes witha spoiler but some dealers order the premium with a spoiler add on from the factory fro
the begining because they like how it comepletes the look.

I have a 2010 SV with Tech/Cold Packages and it came with a spoiler from factory, so your thought of only the Premium/Sport packages get the spoiler is flawed. Nissan will install the spoiler directly from factory on any Maxima independent of the package. The dealer just gets whatever Nissan puts out (color/package/options) granting it's not a special order vehicle.

Flip2cho 06-15-2010 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ricko (Post 7603165)
I have a 2010 SV with Tech/Cold Packages and it came with a spoiler from factory, so your thought of only the Premium/Sport packages get the spoiler is flawed. Nissan will install the spoiler directly from factory on any Maxima independent of the package. The dealer just gets whatever Nissan puts out (color/package/options) granting it's not a special order vehicle.

Ricko you should read my post again because nothing is "flawed" besides your reading or understanding what I said.

The sport is the ONLY package that comes with a spoiler. That is a fact. I never said the only way you can get the spoiler from the factory is to buy the sport. In my post I said that dealers will add the spoiler option from the factory to some cars because they think it completes the look. The dealer can add any upgrade they want to any package from the factory. Check the window sticker. Every option ( like a spoiler on a premium, SV or S model) is under the "DEALER ADDED OPTIONS" category.

Requiem478 06-16-2010 06:19 PM

my dealer said that he would actually be able to install the paddle shifters...
but then again he also hooked up a CAI and an exhaust system, and window tint coming soon, so i get the feeling he is a little more laid back about upgrades then some other dealers in the area:)

sgirgiss1214 06-16-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Requiem478 (Post 7605492)
but then again he also hooked up a CAI and an exhaust system, and window tint coming soon, so i get the feeling he is a little more laid back about upgrades then some other dealers in the area:)

Thats pretty cool, I wanna see if some dealers around here would do that.

ANNINO 06-16-2010 06:42 PM

How? Can you elaborate, cuz I would love to add the paddle shifters to my SV + Tech

IH8SPM 06-16-2010 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho (Post 7603205)
Ricko you should read my post again because nothing is "flawed" besides your reading or understanding what I said.

The sport is the ONLY package that comes with a spoiler. That is a fact. I never said the only way you can get the spoiler from the factory is to buy the sport. In my post I said that dealers will add the spoiler option from the factory to some cars because they think it completes the look. The dealer can add any upgrade they want to any package from the factory. Check the window sticker. Every option ( like a spoiler on a premium, SV or S model) is under the "DEALER ADDED OPTIONS" category.

I almost disagreed then I read the 3rd line.

Flip2cho 06-16-2010 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by IH8SPM (Post 7605558)
I almost disagreed then I read the 3rd line.

Yea I understand how it can be easily taken the wrong way when someone reads over it real fast. Usually I try to be as clear as possible but sometimes it's tuff. I'm glad you understand though.

There are lots of packages (Tech, premium, sport, cold, ect.) and the only one that includes the spoiler is the Sport. You can always have it added to anything before it even leaves the factory. Does that sound more clear?

ANNINO 06-17-2010 03:56 AM

So, back to paddle shifters....

Requiem, I have a dealer like that too, they installed my springs for me. If it possible there is no doubt in my mind they would do it. My question to you is how is it physically possible? When I looked at the steering column (given it was very quick) I saw a plug that could be for the shifter but couldn't see any obvious mounting places. And what would you do about the whole shroud? Just cut your own hole in it?

Thanks for the help, I hope you are correct that it can be done...

Ghozt 05-09-2011 07:44 AM

Random semi-related question...has anyone found affordable GT-R paddle shifters? Only ones I've found are priced a little high...

Would definitely be interested in swapping out my plastic grey cheap shifters for these nice magnesium leather edged ones...if they cost much less...

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...on.php?II=4353

sg1214 05-09-2011 02:31 PM

I wanna do that too Daniel I called an infiniti dealer looking for those shifters, they are also used in the g37S. The paddles alone were like 175 bucks. For two pieces of magnesium with leather? Cmon man.

dkcheung 05-09-2011 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by sg1214 (Post 8041808)
I wanna do that too Daniel I called an infiniti dealer looking for those shifters, they are also used in the g37S. The paddles alone were like 175 bucks. For two pieces of magnesium with leather? Cmon man.

Do they fit the maxima? If they do I think I can all a friend over in Infiniti to see if he can get it cheaper for me. Would be fun to feel solid metal than cheap plastic!

sg1214 05-09-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dkcheung (Post 8042141)
Do they fit the maxima? If they do I think I can all a friend over in Infiniti to see if he can get it cheaper for me. Would be fun to feel solid metal than cheap plastic!

Thats the one thing Im not sure about, we would have to take them out and see how they look.

2themax11 05-11-2011 01:32 PM

This would be a great mod! I found these from an Infiniti Ebay Store less than the ones Daniel found but I always have a hard time believing everything on EBAY being new and OEM. :confused:

I found a DIY guide but for the infiniti G37 - wonder if the steps might be a bit similar.

white09maxima 05-11-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by danielevans83 (Post 8041289)
has anyone found affordable GT-R paddle shifters? Only ones I've found are priced a little high...

Would definitely be interested in swapping out my plastic grey cheap shifters for these nice magnesium leather edged ones...if they cost much less...

That would be awesome but can they be swapped? I would imagine there are differences???

Ghozt 08-07-2011 07:58 PM

oh btw, yes they fit.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-b...806_111026.jpg

sg1214 08-07-2011 08:28 PM

Damn Ghozt that looks sick, how much u pay for these?????