7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Alternator vs Rack Pinion

Old 02-23-2020, 07:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alternator vs Rack Pinion

I recently took my 2012 SV to dealer to drain the trans fluid due to 60K miles. I also told them to check a whining noise coming from the passenger side of the car. Dealer told me it was the alternator and it would cost $800 to fix. I got a second opinion today from AAA Auto and they told me I need a new Rack Pinion and have a slight leak and it would cost $964. The whining seems to get louder when I go down a hill and take my foot off the pedal and glide. I do hear it when I accelerate. Seems to be louder in the morning when I first start the car. Quiets down a little when the car warms up. However, it is getting worse. I hear the whine when I drive.

Remanufactured Rack & Pinion: $670.99 (part # 3859VU8 - NAPA)
Labor: $249.98
Flush Power Steering: $44

Who and what am I to believe now? Who is right - dealer or AAA? Autozone checked battery and it was ok.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2020, 07:52 PM

Here ya go. Have fun.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Check you power steering fluid reservoir, you might be low on fluid and that's what is causing the whine. Try topping it off and see if it goes away. As far as a steering rack, I just did mine on my 2010 on Saturday. The job isn't too difficult but I customize cars for a living so I have a shop and lift to do the job so my opinion probably is a little skewed. I bought my rack remanufactured from Rock Auto "CARDONE 263083E" https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nd+pinion,7388

Works like a champ. I also bought all new power steering lines. might as well get it all done at once.

Now with that all said, I have seen some people buy the lucas oil stop leak for power steering systems and have had mixed results depending on how bad of a leak it is. It's about $20 on Amazon
Old 02-24-2020, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by User1
"You are killing me Smalls!" Good advice but I snorted coffee all over my screen.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 20_Maxima_10
Check you power steering fluid reservoir, you might be low on fluid and that's what is causing the whine. Try topping it off and see if it goes away. As far as a steering rack, I just did mine on my 2010 on Saturday. The job isn't too difficult but I customize cars for a living so I have a shop and lift to do the job so my opinion probably is a little skewed. I bought my rack remanufactured from Rock Auto "CARDONE 263083E" https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nd+pinion,7388

Works like a champ. I also bought all new power steering lines. might as well get it all done at once.

Now with that all said, I have seen some people buy the lucas oil stop leak for power steering systems and have had mixed results depending on how bad of a leak it is. It's about $20 on Amazon

20_Maxima_10....Thanks for your professional and mature response. Yea, I saw that Cardone part on Rock Auto. Also looked at the Hitachi. Do you have a link for the power steering lines you purchased? For the life of me, I can't believe the dealer got this wrong. Now I'm starting to doubt that they even looked at the car or drained my trans fluid as I requested. How do you mix up Alternator vs Power Steering issue...sheesh!! I originally thought the whine issue was with CVT going bad They don't call them Stealerships for nothing. AAA not much better - even though I think they got the diagnosis right. Going to a private shop today via friend of a friend recommendation. Will have them take a look and top off power steering fluid. The whine is starting to drive me mental...lol

Thanks again.

Last edited by Rumble_Fish; 02-25-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:39 AM

You have to understand, we aren't there, you didn't provide us any audio or video to help ascertain the issue so it is impossible to diagnose. The advice is sound given what we know. The best way to find out, is to listen. But, we do have a tendency to have a bit of fun. If that offended, please accept my most humble apology.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:15 AM

I went with the CARDONE because you get $105 back for your core. Hitachi is the OE rack and doesn;t offer a core return. At 105k miles, a factory one wasn't worth it to me. But I plan on keeping the car.

Here are the hoses
REINPSH0397
REINPSH0396
REINPSH0528
REINPSH0324
Links are tricky when going to rockauto so just search them. All bought on rockauto.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rumble_Fish
I recently took my 2012 SV to dealer to drain the trans fluid due to 60K miles. I also told them to check a whining noise coming from the passenger side of the car. Dealer told me it was the alternator and it would cost $800 to fix. I got a second opinion today from AAA Auto and they told me I need a new Rack Pinion and have a slight leak and it would cost $964. The whining seems to get louder when I go down a hill and take my foot off the pedal and glide. I do hear it when I accelerate. Seems to be louder in the morning when I first start the car. Quiets down a little when the car warms up. However, it is getting worse. I hear the whine when I drive.

Remanufactured Rack & Pinion: $670.99 (part # 3859VU8 - NAPA)
Labor: $249.98
Flush Power Steering: $44

Who and what am I to believe now? Who is right - dealer or AAA? Autozone checked battery and it was ok.

Any thoughts?
Do you notice the whining noise in relation to steering? Does it get louder when parked and turning the wheel? If it does then power steering pump should be looked at.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:15 PM

Were you guys getting the power steering fluid changed?
Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 PM

You had no idea when signing up that you were entering dry sense of humor -land, eh?

Strong work on the power steering research, but we still don't know that to be the issue.

Let us know what your shop mechanic says. And then let ME know if he used a stethoscope...
Old 02-27-2020, 04:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 20_Maxima_10
I went with the CARDONE because you get $105 back for your core. Hitachi is the OE rack and doesn;t offer a core return. At 105k miles, a factory one wasn't worth it to me. But I plan on keeping the car.

Here are the hoses
REINPSH0397
REINPSH0396
REINPSH0528
REINPSH0324
Links are tricky when going to rockauto so just search them. All bought on rockauto.
20_Maxima_10: It was exactly as you stated. They checked and it was rack & pinion with lite leaking. They topped it off and the car is quiet as a church mouse....at least for now. They want $1,300 to fix which was higher than AAA. Going to buy all the parts at Rock Auto for a fraction of the cost and have some other shop do this.

Thanks again to you and VeeQue35DE for your intelligent sound advice. It really is all about helping/teaching people who don't understand or have that expertise or knowledge - Now, I do.

RumbleFish
Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rumble_Fish
20_Maxima_10: It was exactly as you stated. They checked and it was rack & pinion with lite leaking. They topped it off and the car is quiet as a church mouse....at least for now. They want $1,300 to fix which was higher than AAA. Going to buy all the parts at Rock Auto for a fraction of the cost and have some other shop do this.

Thanks again to you and VeeQue35DE for your intelligent sound advice. It really is all about helping/teaching people who don't understand or have that expertise or knowledge - Now, I do.

RumbleFish
Glad I could help, especially since I just did the same job 5 days ago! Just make sure you get a rack with the EVO feature. Its the Electronic Variable Orifice. It comes on the factory rack. If you don't know what that is, "Variable assist power steering is a nice system that regulates hydraulic pressure to provide greater assist at idle or slow speeds and reduce the assist at higher speeds. This allows for a better steering feel at speed and reduces the possibility of over-steering in a evasive or abrupt maneuver."

But a rack can be bought without. so just make sure you get one with it if you want it like factory.