7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Stereo in 2009 S models

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Stereo in 2009 S models

Hey guys,

I've been gone for a long time. Sold my '04 Maxima back in '07 when I moved to NYC and didn't need a car. Now I'm in LA and considering buying a slightly used '09 Max (can't afford the new ones!)

My question is about the stereo in the basic S models (I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I only had a limited amount of time to do a forum search and found nothing). I see that it has an aux jack, but no sat radio. Is it even a Bose stereo/speaker system? Or just basic? I've been renting a basic Altima and the stereo sucks.

Also, is using an external Sirus unit the only way to get sat radio in these models? (Without replacing the current factory unit with an upgraded one?) Thanks.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 PM

You might not want to hear it but Satelite radio comes standard in the 2010

**correction** it isthe Bluetooth that stared coming standard

Last edited by Flip2cho; 07-03-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:54 PM

sat radio is not standard on the 2010 S models. It's just a basic (non-Bose) stereo with a 6-disc CD changer.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by lake985
sat radio is not standard on the 2010 S models. It's just a basic (non-Bose) stereo with a 6-disc CD changer.
Oh, the humanity! Seriously, a basic stereo? Considering the MSRP when it was new? Ugh. Like I said, the basic stereo in the Altima I'm renting right now is horrible; can't believe they'd sully a Maxima with a similar offering. Oh well, I guess I could upgrade to something aftermarket at some point if I have the cash.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Surly
Oh, the humanity! Seriously, a basic stereo? Considering the MSRP when it was new? Ugh. Like I said, the basic stereo in the Altima I'm renting right now is horrible; can't believe they'd sully a Maxima with a similar offering. Oh well, I guess I could upgrade to something aftermarket at some point if I have the cash.
Well the lowest model of Maxima has always had the "basic" Clarion Etc version of a radio with its high MSRP, the Bose has always came in packages since the 3rd Gen!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM

Hey guys,

I've been gone for a long time. Sold my '04 Maxima back in '07 when I moved to NYC and didn't need a car. Now I'm in LA and considering buying a slightly used '09 Max (can't afford the new ones!)
Why not just lease one. You seem to move in and out of need for a car and nothing says goodbye better than a lease return.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by IH8SPM
Why not just lease one. You seem to move in and out of need for a car and nothing says goodbye better than a lease return.
Yea, a lease wuld be great rite noiw and with the prices of these cars rit now u can get into a pretty well equiped Maxima for a reasonable monthly payment.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by lake985
don't forget that it is a 6-disc mp3 player.

The S radio is not horrible. It has good sound, just not as good as the bose system or any aftermarket upgrades that are possible. It sounds clear to me when the windows are down and rolling at highway speeds. The small subwoofer does make a small rumble
Old 07-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by IH8SPM
Thanks. I actually already have my loan in place (always smart to walk into a dealer with financing so you can just negotiate the price of the car and not get sucked into their "four-square" game of monthly payments), and I'm definitely in California for good, so I'll be needing a car for a while. I guess someday I can upgrade to an aftermarket stereo. Thanks for all of the responses!
Old 07-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by k757

The S radio is not horrible. It has good sound, just not as good as the bose system or any aftermarket upgrades that are possible. It sounds clear to me when the windows are down and rolling at highway speeds. The small subwoofer does make a small rumble
+1
I think the S radio's system is decent, its not as bad as you think.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by MrTeek
+1
I think the S radio's system is decent, its not as bad as you think.
Yeah, you're right. I just bought an '09 Maxima today and the sound is pretty decent after all. Still will have to get me some satellite radio in there, though.

I'm just happy to be a Maxima owner once again!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Yeah, you're right. I just bought an '09 Maxima today and the sound is pretty decent after all. Still will have to get me some satellite radio in there, though.

I'm just happy to be a Maxima owner once again!
Glad to hear you got a Max, congrats!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:09 PM

i have an S

sounds good turned up
Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 AM

yea the S stereo is not that bad connect ur ipod and set the right volumes and stuff people thought i put a system in it lol
Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by MaxxDis91
yea the S stereo is not that bad connect ur ipod and set the right volumes and stuff people thought i put a system in it lol
same here just set the levels an pop in a newer cd or ipod at the right volume honestly most ears cant tell the difference plus if you like aftermarket bose gets in the way
Old 07-08-2010, 06:31 PM

I agree it sounds decent. I was not aware that there was a subwoofer in the mix. Where is it located and how big is it?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by DeadPair
I agree it sounds decent. I was not aware that there was a subwoofer in the mix. Where is it located and how big is it?
oh, I get the occasional seat rumble, so I made an assumption. I really don't know
Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 PM

Decent, not quite as good as Bose

I'm a critical listener, classical musician. I compared the S stereo to the Bose and was satisfied with the base model. Bose sounds cleaner, a bit crisper, a bit more powerful, and definitely more substantial bass. But I bought the "S" model and am satisfied with the CD changer, radio on FM and AM. Haven't really used the aux input (thought I would). There is nothing frightening sounding about the base stereo. It is better than the Altima unit, which sounds tubby and flabby to me.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 PM

oh, I get the occasional seat rumble, so I made an assumption. I really don't know
Can someone chime in here on the sub question. I'm curious now as to whether it exists or not. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:55 PM

OK, after living with the car for a couple of weeks, I can now say that I was alarmed without need, and that the base model does sound pretty good after all. Sometimes I use discs, and sometimes the iPod in the AUX jack. I've got the settings where I want them and am very happy. It just sucks that I'll have to get an external Sirius unit, but that's a small price. Again, thanks for all the responses!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by DeadPair
Can someone chime in here on the sub question. I'm curious now as to whether it exists or not. Thanks.
I was curious myself, so I turned on my stereo, and put my ear to each speaker. The dash (base of the front window) seem to be tweeters, both the front doors, and the back doors have full range, and the rear deck is bass only. I read the rear deck is 6x9 so a pair of those make for a passable sub-woofer. Not bad really for a base system.

I'm a bit of an audio guy myself (club DJ back a few years ago) so I like it loud and clean. I've been looking in to an aftermarket system and you got lucky with the base model (like mine). The stock base model is easily replaced with a double din aftermarket system where if you have the full gps system, its integrated and much more difficult.

Silly question - What kind of phone do you have? If you have a smartphone, it 'may' be able to support bluetooth audio. If you do, you might consider picking up a Motorola T505/T605 speakerphone. You can play music on your phone, the Motorola will pick it up, and broadcast it over FM that you tune in on your car stereo. I've found this to be a great temporary solution for me while I wait for the funds to replace my stereo system. I listen to Pandora all the time, and even through the fm tuner, it sounds much better than even the aftermarket stereo with XM in my last car.

Last edited by Blittz; 09-07-2010 at 03:34 PM.