7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

I want the max! but not the mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Joey D
Sounds like you're in a boat on your own with this one. If you're not achieving 30 mpg that doesn't make it absolutely impossible for anyone else to get it on their a35. I would definitely recommend you check your facts as well.
If you can do it, more power to you. But the best I can do is under 25 mpg. I keep a log where I record every gallon used vs. miles driven and since I have owned it The average total miles/gallons used is 24.55 with the best mileage for any tank was 28.5. My previous vehicle was a 2.5 Altima and my average for that car was 27.59. As I am an old fart and drive very conservatively I think I am on the upper part of the mileage curve. I would definitely recommend you check your facts as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 AM

This thread is very crazy. It is very obvious there are varying situations amongst different car drivers. There’s only one way to look at it, and that is to understand that there WILL be people over 30 mpg and there can ALSO be people under 30 mpg. If anyone from either party can’t understand that…I suggest you take a deep look inward and acknowledge it’s time to remove your head from the inside of your anus. It’s a better view out here anyway.
Originally Posted by 2young2retire
If you can do it, more power to you. But the best I can do is under 25 mpg. I keep a log where I record every gallon used vs. miles driven and since I have owned it The average total miles/gallons used is 24.55 with the best mileage for any tank was 28.5. My previous vehicle was a 2.5 Altima and my average for that car was 27.59. As I am an old fart and drive very conservatively I think I am on the upper part of the mileage curve. I would definitely recommend you check your facts as well.
Unfortunately for the old flatulator, I have checked some facts myself. I’ve had my max for over a year now (purchased Feb ’10) and calculate at every fillup my distance traveled over gallons used and record. To date, my average consumption is 30.71 MPG. It is unmistakably possible and I know I’m not the only one. Obviously to average this I’ve had to have some days over and some days under.

I understand in certain areas where people are out west that the speed limit is 70 mph and conditions may vary unfavorably. That doesn’t change the fact that it is 55 mph in other places in the Midwest, and conditions may vary FAVORABLY. Also, it should already be known that there are many other factors that contribute to MPG besides your speed limit alone. There is (1) total weight in the car – most people carry excess weight around they don’t need anyway. Not just your foot behavior, but (2) proactive driving - I see it far too often people who womp on the gas so they can slam on the brakes at the red light a ¼ mile down the road. The longer you can maintain your momentum and speed the better. Which leads me to the third, this is up to your discretion, but (3) faster turns mean less unnecessary braking followed by accelerating also boosting MPG. We all know our maximas are very capable of some quick turns without taking a crazy toll on your tires. Finally (4) all the other things you should have heard a million times over it makes you sick (proper tire inflation..etc.). These are things you should know by now.

So I wouldn’t pout and claim others are “lying” because your situation is different. I certainly wouldn’t point the finger at a sizable chunk of this community and call them liars. If you want to compare and complain about your west coast gas mileage there is a “West Coast” forum I suggest you take your grievances to.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maximum Drive
.......Unfortunately for the old flatulator, I have checked some facts myself.......
Old flatulator... LOL!!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:07 AM

I dunno if it is just me; when i am just start moving approx 0km/h - 20/30 km/h the gas usage goes up to 30L/100km (basically i get the full bar on the gas usage bar).

Is this OK? I mean i barely push on the pedal and it seems eating up so much
Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 AM

this is a waste of a thread... 300hp is going to be fuel efficient... go buy a civic if you want great gas mileage... you want decent mileage and good power and beautful styling this is the car for you end of story
Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by goldenrod
I dunno if it is just me; when i am just start moving approx 0km/h - 20/30 km/h the gas usage goes up to 30L/100km (basically i get the full bar on the gas usage bar).

Is this OK? I mean i barely push on the pedal and it seems eating up so much
I wouldn't place much faith in the accuracy of any instantaneous display indications during any amount of acceleration. Don't forget that when accelerating from a stop you're using a large overall gear reduction from the engine to the wheels and that acceleration requires additional fuel over stoichiometric to prevent a stumble (and an emissions spike). I certainly wouldn't worry about it and suggest that you make a conscious effort to look down the road as you accelerate instead.

My wife's new Subaru has a silly little "economy gauge" and its needle instantly drops down almost on the low end peg during acceleration regardless of the gear I'm in. I'd rather not even have it, or have a real coolant temperature gauge or even a boost gauge instead (it's the turbocharged model). But at least the gauge is not stuck prominently in the middle of the instrument cluster where I can't help but see it when checking speed or rpms.

Norm
Old 03-22-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Sleeper
this is a waste of a thread... 300hp is going to be fuel efficient... go buy a civic if you want great gas mileage... you want decent mileage and good power and beautful styling this is the car for you end of story
I think the problem is that some people are affected more by scaremongering tactics and the media treatment of this issue than others, and quite possibly more than is warranted.

Some may have made their car purchase decision without any thought at all regarding fuel usage. I'll bet you a virtual $5 that once the Japan and the mideast commotions die down a bit (and the talking heads run out of things to say about them) that the fuel economy threads here and elsewhere will wake up big time.

Norm
Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I think the problem is that some people are affected more by scaremongering tactics and the media treatment of this issue than others, and quite possibly more than is warranted.

Some may have made their car purchase decision without any thought at all regarding fuel usage. I'll bet you a virtual $5 that once the Japan and the mideast commotions die down a bit (and the talking heads run out of things to say about them) that the fuel economy threads here and elsewhere will wake up big time.

Norm
LOL.... as long as there is gas I will drive a Gas car that goes fast... I DONT WANT A BATTERY CHARGING MY CAR EVER
Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 AM

Thanks Norm
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 AM

So I just got back from a 979 Mile trip. On the way there, I drove 423 miles and put in 16.94 Gallons. Calculated MPG 24.97. Computer 25.1 MPG This was driving 76-78 MPH. I usually drive slower, i was just following someone.

On the way back we had a nice 10 MPH tail wind. It was great! Drove 72 MPH.
510 Miles, Put in 15..7 Gallons. MPG 32.48 Calculated. Computer 32.5MPG!! The best I have ever gotten! The other miles are on the current tank and haven't calculated that yet.

Anyway just wanted to post this! It for sure helps if you slow down. 72 vs 78mph this car really gets a lot better at the slower speed.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Joey D
Old flatulator... LOL!!
Haha yup....I think he just got served
Old 03-24-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Maximum Drive
Haha yup....I think he just got served
Thats MISTER old flatulator to all you young whipper-snappers.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 AM

At $4/gal...I am really not liking my 22 mpg. It's so bad I sometimes take my beater car (2002 corolla) instead of my maxima LOL
Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 AM

I was getting 17 MPG consistently until I recently changed my oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic (my first oil change since I bought the car) and now I'm seeing a definite couple MPG improvement. Gonna report back later but even just driving around in the suburbs with lots of frequent stops I'm getting 18.5 now. My sentra got 23 so If I can get low 20's I'll be okay with it.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:00 PM

I had my 2002 Maxima SE for about 10 years since 02, up to 205,000 miles. I was averaging 26mpg on my gen5 and it was good. During that time, YES, we got a Prius. Drove Prius alot and averaged 48mpg. 195,000 miles later, saved alot on gas.

Im a commuter, the Prius is definitely worked for me. However, it no longer has that fun factor since alot of new vehicles have that tech package; Bluetooth, navigation etc. The new 2011 Prius is even better.

Traded in my 02 for an 09 Maxima SV, sport, tech package, 19" wheels etc. Now the 4DSC fun factor is back. I feel more alive with this beast of a car. Its almost fully loaded and even though mpg sucks a s s , the car is sweet. Besides the bad mpg (my gen5 got 6mpg better), I wish my model had fold down 60/40 rear seats.

I found that since this thread is old there have been newer cars since then, the Prius is definitely faster, 17" wheels look sweet. However, out of the bunch I think the Lexus CT hits the sweet spot. That will be replacing out aging Prius. Each car has its place.

Last edited by rcjunkie; 01-16-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:37 PM

man you know what makes the MPG hurt even more the fact that the 2012 BMW 3 series is rated at 23/34HWY!!! All this talk about the Tranny is suppose to improve fuel efficiency and were getting these numbers. Hopefully the 2013 is better. But my excuse not to get the 3 series was always the fuel efficiency is gone and the fact that i really wanted a 5 series...
Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 AM

Man, I have to remember most of you guys are in a more city scene than I am, haha. My Max sits at 24.2 MPG (actually just went up from 23.9 MPG from the last 2 months). Even my old '09 SV Sport got 23.9 MPG all day long. Then again I chose to live outside of the city and have a slightly longer commute (about 37 miles one way).
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 PM

My 2011 with 3500 miles. I hope after I put in Mobil 1 next week it will go up.

Fun ~ 21mpg
No fun ~ 30mpg
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Sleeper
If you check the mpg on a civic it is not all that much better LXMPG[2]: 28 CITY 39 HWY (Automatic) and the Si is worseMPG[2]: 22 CITY 31 HWY compared to the Maxima 26 city 37 hwy!! Just saying!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by rudals1281
At $4/gal...I am really not liking my 22 mpg. It's so bad I sometimes take my beater car (2002 corolla) instead of my maxima LOL
Try $6.50 up here in Canada!!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
man you know what makes the MPG hurt even more the fact that the 2012 BMW 3 series is rated at 23/34HWY!!! All this talk about the Tranny is suppose to improve fuel efficiency and were getting these numbers. Hopefully the 2013 is better. But my excuse not to get the 3 series was always the fuel efficiency is gone and the fact that i really wanted a 5 series...
Ummm. The 2012 BMW 3 series has EIGHT different trimlines, FIVE different engines and THREE different trannies. The version of the BMW 3 that Consumer Reports tested achieved 21 mpg and had a 7.8 0-60 time. The 2012 Maxima tested had a 0-60 of 6.2 and achieved 22 MPG during the same testing.

The 2013 Maxima will have exactly the same power train and MPG as the 2012, and when we consider the Maxima is a 3600 pound car with 290 HP, it is because of the CVT that it is as fuel efficient as it is. I have reached 30 MPG on freeway trips, which is excellent for a car this heavy and with this much accelleration and power. That weight and power naturally mean very poor city fuel efficiency.

By the way, Consumer Reports found the handling of the 2012 BMW 5 series to be disappointing, and the steering vague. It does not recommend the 5 series, and blackballed both its ownership cost and reliability. You were wise to choose the Maxima.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Ummm. The 2012 BMW 3 series has EIGHT different trimlines, FIVE different engines and THREE different trannies. The version of the BMW 3 that Consumer Reports tested achieved 21 mpg and had a 7.8 0-60 time. The 2012 Maxima tested had a 0-60 of 6.2 and achieved 22 MPG during the same testing.

The 2013 Maxima will have exactly the same power train and MPG as the 2012, and when we consider the Maxima is a 3600 pound car with 290 HP, it is because of the CVT that it is as fuel efficient as it is. I have reached 30 MPG on freeway trips, which is excellent for a car this heavy and with this much accelleration and power. That weight and power naturally mean very poor city fuel efficiency.

By the way, Consumer Reports found the handling of the 2012 BMW 5 series to be disappointing, and the steering vague. It does not recommend the 5 series, and blackballed both its ownership cost and reliability. You were wise to choose the Maxima.
I'm not going by consumer report or the 5 series but check out this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3f1S...eature=mh_lolz

lol that ends in lolz ^

Check that video starting from 5:40 it takes 89 octane too.... I think that might be the only BMW that can take 8X octane. The maxima does have more horses and the BMW has a mode where it uses ~100 horses. Yes the BMW is a lot more complicated which can be a bad thing.. Just things to consider.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 AM

I have a related question (sort of). My previous car had a 20 gallon tank. When I put in $20 at the pump, I got a quarter of a tank added. The Max has the same size tank, but my $20 gets me about 50% more, prices being more or less equal lately.

Not that I'm complaining of course, but it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 AM

Cheaper gas price?
Old 04-07-2012, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by AlDente67
I have a related question (sort of). My previous car had a 20 gallon tank. When I put in $20 at the pump, I got a quarter of a tank added. The Max has the same size tank, but my $20 gets me about 50% more, prices being more or less equal lately.

Not that I'm complaining of course, but it doesn't make sense to me.

This is strictly due to the fact Nissan's fuel guage is graduated differently than guages historically have been. There is a 20 gallon tank on the Maxima, but Nissan wants us to fill up with 4 to 6 gallons left in the tank. So their needle goes up and down further per gallon bought or consumed than on other cars. It is showing us low on fuel when we have 4 to 6 gallons left in the tank.

There are very good reasons for this 'false reading.' The fuel pump on the Maxima is inside the bottom of the fuel tank, and depends on being immersed in gasoline in order to prevent overheating. Also, running out of fuel in this Maxima is not like running out of fuel in a Chevy; among other problems, running out of fuel in this car might require you to purchase a new catalytic converter ($399 to $900, depending on where we get it done) in order to pass fuel emmision inspections.

For me, I love the early gas prompt because I never let my fuel get below a quarter of a tank. I have encountered far too many situations in my 64 years of driving where I ended up in a really bothersome situation simply because I let my tank get too low. I could list a dozen reasons/situations, but one will do -

I passed up a perfectly good gas station driving west on I-10 in western Texas back in 1973, knowing I could make the next town around 60 miles away. I reached that town with two gallons left, and found a storm had wiped out all power. No power means no gas pumps. Next town is another 60 miles away. Had to stay over almost 20 hours in a motel with no air conditioning or lighting or hot water (no power takes away a lot of conveniences).

I still do not tell my friends about the time in 1958 I very stupidly got stuck overnight in a snowstorm in Wyoming with my fuel tank almost empty. Had I not had a blanket, I would have frozen to death.

A wise man keeps at least 5 gallons in his tank at all times.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:16 AM

I see, thanks. So when it alerts me of 50 miles remaining, it is not factoring in that extra few gallons immersing the pump, right?

I had a similar scare once. Visiting my cousin, light on gas, ignored the gas stations on the way up figuring I'll tank up on the way home. Little did I know that when we left for home at 11pm, all of the stations had closed for the night. It was a white-knuckle ride until I found an open one miles down the highway.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 AM

That is good to know about the Maxima fuel system. I did not know that is how theirs works. Thanks for the info. It makes sense though. When I tell people it has a 20 gallon tank and they ask me if I am paying $80 at the pump, and I say "no, only about $60" (Most I have paid is like $69) they would just say "oh". So I still have 4-6 gallons in the tank and I always fill up when I start to hit 100 miles left on the read out.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM

What did you expect buying a 290hp 3600lb sedan?
My 2004 Avalon isnt much better and it only has 210hp.

According to the EPA my avalon gets 19 city 27 highway, isnt the Max 19 city 26 highway? So I get 1mpg highway better but 80hp less than the max.