Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   Door Handle Removal (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/627226-door-handle-removal.html)

SouthernmostMAXX 01-20-2011 02:51 AM

Door Handle Removal

Anybody know how to remove these bad boys?? Any input greatly appreciated!!

SouthernmostMAXX 01-26-2011 03:47 AM

I'm guessing we're all in the dark on this one?!?!? lol

mrodenberg0124 01-26-2011 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by SouthernmostMAXX (Post 7905575)
I'm guessing we're all in the dark on this one?!?!? lol

Let me ask my roommate. He took them off of my old Max when it was totalled.

SouthernmostMAXX 01-26-2011 09:18 AM

Awesome! I'll be waiting! :Popcorn:

Antny74 01-26-2011 12:03 PM

having them painted?

BlackMax11 01-26-2011 01:00 PM

i deff wanna find out how to remove them also i wanted to maybe plasti dip them

SouthernmostMAXX 01-26-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Antny74 (Post 7906059)
having them painted?

Ant- yea I think I'm gonna go ahead and paint those bad boys either the body color or a flat black.

@Blackmax- I have my door handles currently plasti-dipped, along with the rest of the chrome trim on my car. Removing the handles is not necessary, just tape off really nice around the handle and get some newspaper to avoid overspray on the body (which if some does get on, it comes right off no worries). Same applies to all the chrome trim minus the trunk, that had to be removed, and it was fairly simple; about 5 extra minutes. Hope this helps!! Let me know if you have anymore questions or concerns. Good luck!

Llfe 01-26-2011 05:50 PM

you can also buy the covers and paint them and put those on so that you don't have to mess around with the original door handles just in case u wanna sell it later

Kmoney 01-27-2011 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Llfe (Post 7906489)
you can also buy the covers and paint them and put those on so that you don't have to mess around with the original door handles just in case u wanna sell it later

where can you buy the cover? i tried searching for it

Llfe 01-27-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kmoney (Post 7906967)
where can you buy the cover? i tried searching for it

i saw this item last year on ebay...i just did a search for it on ebay and nothing came up so i guess the seller sold it all?

i should have searched for it on ebay before i posted this...it was on ebay though

the closest was for a 08 maxima...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-10...Q5fAccessories

Kmoney 01-27-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Llfe (Post 7907145)
i saw this item last year on ebay...i just did a search for it on ebay and nothing came up so i guess the seller sold it all?

i should have searched for it on ebay before i posted this...it was on ebay though

the closest was for a 08 maxima...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-10...Q5fAccessories

yea i got that last year too and the 08 doesnt fit the 09 so i returned it

Antny74 01-27-2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by SouthernmostMAXX (Post 7906376)
Ant- yea I think I'm gonna go ahead and paint those bad boys either the body color or a flat black.

@Blackmax- I have my door handles currently plasti-dipped, along with the rest of the chrome trim on my car. Removing the handles is not necessary, just tape off really nice around the handle and get some newspaper to avoid overspray on the body (which if some does get on, it comes right off no worries). Same applies to all the chrome trim minus the trunk, that had to be removed, and it was fairly simple; about 5 extra minutes. Hope this helps!! Let me know if you have anymore questions or concerns. Good luck!

please do body color, I had mine vinyl wrapped black for awhile and unless everything else on the car is matte black, it's just going to look like black plastic

AIMRob 01-28-2011 08:13 AM

How difficult would it be to paint vs apply vinyl to the handles? Also any recommendations on the paint brand/type (sandpaper grit?) or vinyl brand/model for matte blacking out the chrome trim throughout the Max?

TheCheeF 01-28-2011 08:41 AM

@Southern

Did you say you painted the fat chrome piece on the rear of the max which is above the license plate? Did you remove this piece to paint it? If so, how did you remove it.

Thanks

BlackMax11 01-28-2011 10:05 AM

im still not sure if i should just leave them chrome plasti dip them or vinyl cuz the car is a lease but i always do work to my leased cars and i was gonna do all the chrome on the car gun metal then have my stock 18 inch rims painted gun metal also cuz its gonna b hard trying to make the same black that is on the car for each piece of chrome but if anyone has done the vinyl or painted there door handles id love to see pics.. thanks guys

AIMRob 01-28-2011 10:43 AM

One option would be to wrap the stock rims in vinyl with the same material as well, seen this on youtube the other day. Now I'm not endorsing this as I don't know how long they would last but it's a fairly cheap option. This way you could use all the same vinyl for the chrome trim and wheels, could make a nice effect. I'm considering doing it but I imagine the install time with vinyl on our stock rims would make me a sad panda.

mrodenberg0124 01-28-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheCheeF (Post 7908312)
@Southern

Did you say you painted the fat chrome piece on the rear of the max which is above the license plate? Did you remove this piece to paint it? If so, how did you remove it.

Thanks

If i recall correctly from when i painted mine, just remove the lining from the trunk and you will see 2 bolts that hold it on.

SouthernmostMAXX 01-30-2011 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheCheeF (Post 7908312)
@Southern

Thanks

All you have to do is remove the lining from the trunk, then you should come across 3 10mm bolts. Remove those and there should also be 2 orange inserts you have to remove (using a hammer lightly will easily remove them). Once you pop the chrome piece out, DO NOT PULL, you have to undo the harness for the trunk button. That's all there is to it, hope this helps!

SouthernmostMAXX 01-30-2011 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by AIMRob (Post 7908293)
How difficult would it be to paint vs apply vinyl to the handles? Also any recommendations on the paint brand/type (sandpaper grit?) or vinyl brand/model for matte blacking out the chrome trim throughout the Max?

AIM- your best bet would be to go with Plasti-dip. It's probably the cheapest out of your options, is non-permanent (but very durable and can be if you take care of it). And best of all, only prep-work required is a nice, clean surface!! Another plus to it is that any overspray to the vehicle can be easily removed with a little elbow-grease. Good luck!

BlackMax11 01-31-2011 01:44 PM

i was gonna plati dip mine also i just went to home depot and picked up maddddd cans for all the chrome on da car and maybe the wheels any ideas on how i can go about either gettin da handles off or tappin them up to prevent asmuch over spill as i can

mrodenberg0124 01-31-2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by BlackMax11 (Post 7912494)
i was gonna plati dip mine also i just went to home depot and picked up maddddd cans for all the chrome on da car and maybe the wheels any ideas on how i can go about either gettin da handles off or tappin them up to prevent asmuch over spill as i can

Sorry guys, I haven't been home much lately so i haven't seen my roommate to ask about the handle removal process. As soon as i'm actually at home when he's home i'll ask him and get it posted if it hasn't been already.

AIMRob 02-03-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by SouthernmostMAXX (Post 7911824)
AIM- your best bet would be to go with Plasti-dip. It's probably the cheapest out of your options, is non-permanent (but very durable and can be if you take care of it). And best of all, only prep-work required is a nice, clean surface!! Another plus to it is that any overspray to the vehicle can be easily removed with a little elbow-grease. Good luck!

Ahh I bought the matte black vinyl the morning you posted this and applied it later that day... If I would've known about this before hand I would've gone with the plasti dip, never heard of it before but from the videos/pictures it looks nearly identical to the vinyl. I'm picking up two cans of the plasti dip to coat the rims though, we'll see how that turns out. Thing I'm debating now is to take the wheels off and coat them one by one, or spraying while on the max

BlackMax11 02-11-2011 11:28 AM

AIMROB!!!!!! Take them off the maxima!!!!! please please please dont spray while there on the car lift the car and do one by one you will get a better product spraying while the wheel is on will cause dripping and the plasti dip will bunch up.. after you do it Post pics please!

MaxSleeper 02-12-2011 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by SouthernmostMAXX (Post 7897967)
Anybody know how to remove these bad boys?? Any input greatly appreciated!!

This might help with getting the door handles off. Around page 224-225.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2009/DLK.pdf

And if you want the whole thing.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2009/

Not sure if you have the 09 or not, but im going to guess that 10-11 are fairly similar if not exactly the same.

Brian Blancaflor Jr 06-08-2015 12:20 AM

It's pretty easy. Remove a torx screw, then pull it out.

Snapper1978 06-08-2015 07:45 AM

Easier said then done, I did mine and only ONE came all the way off, no matter how much I turned the torx screw, I didnt want to break anything so gave up.

mikekay 06-08-2015 08:16 AM

try changing the LED's on the mirrors... now thats pressure, if you pull up the wrong way or break a clip. go buy a whole new mirror assy. Mine luckly worked out okay. Im going to try the handles soon too, wondering the same black, vs body color. I have plastidipped the fat peice on the back already.

Tommy6905 06-08-2015 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by mikekay (Post 9051895)
try changing the LED's on the mirrors... now thats pressure, if you pull up the wrong way or break a clip. go buy a whole new mirror assy. Mine luckly worked out okay. Im going to try the handles soon too, wondering the same black, vs body color. I have plastidipped the fat peice on the back already.

Check my "couple pics" thread, tells u how to take the handles off

mikekay 06-08-2015 09:36 AM

Thanks Tommy, will do!