Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   Some Audio Advice... (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/629090-some-audio-advice.html)

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 06:44 AM

Some Audio Advice...

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you Audio-philes could chime in here and help me make some decisions as to what to do with the audio in my car. I love loud music, and want to get the highest SPL possible.

First off I have a 2010 Nissan Maxima SV w/ the BOSE system (No Navi or No Backup)

I am thinking that I will add a rear deck to house 4 8 inch loud speakers. - Any help as to brand (and/or pros and cons of your recommendations) would be most appreciated.

I am also thinking of adding 1 or 2 high powered sub(s) in the back, which will be ported through the armrest.

I am not looking to break the bank but figure a 3-5g'z would not be too much to spend for all of the work.

Any input you provide would be welcomed.

Thanks.

HMAX08 02-24-2011 07:08 AM

thats a pretty good budget to achieve what you want. As for Brands since you are from NYC, everyone is running EV's, Beyma's or that O2 Adudio, Whip Audio stuff.
Shop around you sould find something good

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 07:12 AM

i wouldn't cut the car up to place 8s in the rear deck you can try 6in beyma in the rear in place of the factory subs and make same plates to replace the 6x9 with critical mass mids,as for subs because of the truck it will be hard to get good spl i think 140 db will be the most it can do unless you add alot of power at that but you will need 5000w plus rms and 2-3 big batterys and a h.o alt not something this car likes in truck because unless you get coilovers it will drop the rear very bad with all the weight .

nismo2010 02-24-2011 07:17 AM

I agree with Hamchan. If you are looking just straight up loud for your highs...go with Beyma, Ev's, or o2 Audio. A lot of people are running those and you can literally hear them from blocks away. For bass you can't go wrong with some JL W7's, Digital Designs, RE Audio..theres a lot of good stuff out there but it all depends on your budget...

HMAX08 02-24-2011 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport (Post 7945549)
i wouldn't cut the car up to place 8s in the rear deck you can try 6in beyma in the rear in place of the factory subs and make same plates to replace the 6x9 with critical mass mids,as for subs because of the truck it will be hard to get good spl i think 140 db will be the most it can do unless you add alot of power at that but you will need 5000w plus rms and 2-3 big batterys and a h.o alt not something this car likes in truck because unless you get coilovers it will drop the rear very bad with all the weight .

Agreed with NOT cutting the deck, however what is done here in nyc a lot, is building a fiberglass rearl deck to hold the 8"s which goes over the factory deck. They do it all the time here in ny.

High OP alternator is not really needed unless you are running crazy power, he could get a couple of batteries and be fine. From the OP's post he wants more voice and mids before basssss. The subs will be for the extra punch in the bass. Hes goes more for SQ over SPL(bassss)

As nismo2010 stated, for subs JL, DD are good brands cant go wrong there

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by nismo2010 (Post 7945554)
I agree with Hamchan. If you are looking just straight up loud for your highs...go with Beyma, Ev's, or o2 Audio. A lot of people are running those and you can literally hear them from blocks away. For bass you can't go wrong with some JL W7's, Digital Designs, RE Audio..theres a lot of good stuff out there but it all depends on your budget...

jl is over rated digital designs is very good so is dc audio re is now junk made is china,if you need help let me know i been doing car audio last 10 years and have 6 15s in my explorer that does close to 160db and has more bass then the beast from the east used to have.

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 07:26 AM

my explorer http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...xplorer025.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...xplorer024.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...xplorer018.jpg

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 07:27 AM

thank you all for your replies, and helping me with this matter.

Yes Hamchan, you are correct it was going to a custom build fiberglass for the rear deck that would sit over the OEM. And you are correct again I do want loud. An specific set of speakers you think would be best suited for the application?

As for the subs, do you think it is possible to have 2 1000 watts subs ported through the arm rest and only take up half the trunk?

Also since you are more of an expert than I am, how many batteries do you think i would take to run a rear deck @ 800-1000 watts and 2 subs at 100watts a piece? - I am not sure how this battery bank idea works. I have herd mixxed reviews about it, but it seems like most of the audio shop around my way would rather do battery banks rather than a HO alternator.

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 07:31 AM

damn "2009maxima sv-sport" thats one hell of a setup, not sure i can afford all of that... I want to fit as much as i can in my maxi; SPL =]

and yes any help would be appreiciated in terms of your knowledge.

I was thinking this weekend i go to Tripple J Auto Fashion in queens to get some pricing ideas, becuase i can hook up the speakers but i am not good at building boxes or decks. lol

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by gtr0manc3r (Post 7945574)

Yes Hamchan, you are correct it was going to a custom build fiberglass for the rear deck that would sit over the OEM. And you are correct again I do want loud. An specific set of speakers you think would be best suited for the application?

As for the subs, do you think it is possible to have 2 1000 watts subs ported through the arm rest and only take up half the trunk?

Also since you are more of an expert than I am, how many batteries do you think i would take to run a rear deck @ 800-1000 watts and 2 subs at 100watts a piece? - I am not sure how this battery bank idea works. I have herd mixxed reviews about it, but it seems like most of the audio shop around my way would rather do battery banks rather than a HO alternator.

as for battery's i have a Memphis 2500w amp with the factory alt (after market can be had for $500) on 2 xs power battery's a 5100r under hood and a 925 in the back drops into 11v hope that helps.

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport (Post 7945587)
as for battery's i have a Memphis 2500w amp with the factory alt (after market can be had for $500) on 2 xs power battery's a 5100r under hood and a 925 in the back drops into 11v hope that helps.

does that not kill the alterantor (that's a lot of batteries)? I have not seen HO alternator for a 2010 Max ;\

HMAX08 02-24-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by gtr0manc3r (Post 7945574)

Thank you for the compliment but I am NO expert by any means, I just have been around car audio for awhile (too long i guess) Battery banks are fine and do great if you are running a high power system. An HO alternator is always good too but they can get real pricey, I think it runs 375-500 just for the alternator (i believe the shops dont like to touch alternators because its a major part of the entire car thus causing other issues if things go wrong)

I would listen to the the member wiht the explorer, he seens very knowledgeable, i mean look at his explorer

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by gtr0manc3r (Post 7945596)
does that not kill the alterantor (that's a lot of batteries)? I have not seen HO alternator for a 2010 Max ;\

you need to have the alt rebuilt theres a few places that will do it ohio alt is one it takes 3-5day without your factory sence you will have to send it in to have the work done,as for battery's the 5100r is the factory size so it drops in the one in the back is smaller and it will not kill the alt i have have my setup in sence last may no problems.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ket_56242_.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ket_34295_.jpg

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan (Post 7945598)
Thank you for the compliment but I am NO expert by any means, I just have been around car audio for awhile (too long i guess) Battery banks are fine and do great if you are running a high power system. An HO alternator is always good too but they can get real pricey, I think it runs 375-500 just for the alternator (i believe the shops dont like to touch alternators because its a major part of the entire car thus causing other issues if things go wrong)

I would listen to the the member wiht the explorer, he seens very knowledgeable, i mean look at his explorer

True true...how many batteries do you think for a 3000-3500watt setup?

HMAX08 02-24-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport (Post 7945587)

I am runnign factory alt and running an extra battery in the rear (stinger 1000sp - this use to run my entier 03 sentra ser, lol) and I only run one jl12w7 with a 1000/1. As for interior i have Hertz MLK 165's up front, ID ctx in the rear door and beyma m6 in the rear deck pushing tha is a jl audio 450/4 (had a 500/5 on it before). I have been running like this since 2009 and no issues wiht my Alt.

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport (Post 7945609)
you need to have the alt rebuilt theres a few places that will do it ohio alt is one it takes 3-5day without your factory sence you will have to send it in to have the work done,as for battery's the 5100r is the factory size so it drops in the one in the back is smaller and it will not kill the alt i have have my setup in sence last may no problems.

Sorry I got lost somewhere. What does rebulding the am do? who makes the 5100r?. Friends talk about kenitic and Yellotops...any good?

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan (Post 7945612)
I am runnign factory alt and running an extra battery in the rear (stinger 1000sp - this use to run my entier 03 sentra ser, lol) and I only run one jl12w7 with a 1000/1. As for interior i have Hertz MLK 165's up front, ID ctx in the rear door and beyma m6 in the rear deck pushing tha is a jl audio 450/4 (had a 500/5 on it before). I have been running like this since 2009 and no issues wiht my Alt.

wow, that sounds awesome; do you still have your factory system installed? I am thinking I should keep it installed, this way when people borrow the car they dont get deaf =D

HMAX08 02-24-2011 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by gtr0manc3r (Post 7945610)
True true...how many batteries do you think for a 3000-3500watt setup?

Are we talking RMS? to be honest I believe you will be fine with just one of those big kenitec batteries and you should be fine. The argument can be made for 2.

At 2009maxima_SV DD subs are awesome, I love them I probably will use those one day.

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by gtr0manc3r (Post 7945615)
Sorry I got lost somewhere. What does rebulding the am do? who makes the 5100r?. Friends talk about kenitic and Yellotops...any good?

the yellow tops or ok the kinetiks are over rated the 5100r is made by powermaster they call xs power http://4xspower.com/products/mobile-audio/competition/

HMAX08 02-24-2011 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by gtr0manc3r (Post 7945617)
wow, that sounds awesome; do you still have your factory system installed? I am thinking I should keep it installed, this way when people borrow the car they dont get deaf =D

I dont quite understand what your question regarding having the factory system installed. My audio system is not factory by any means, all that i listed is in the car now

nismo2010 02-24-2011 07:52 AM

thats some really nice work 2009maxima sv-sport!!!
about the alternators i never understood that..i always had upgraded my battery under the trunk and added a battery in the trunk.. I had three amps in my G35 running off of it too and never had a problem. (Mmats 3500.1, Alpine pdx 4.150, JL 3002). I had the batcap battery, but i hear kinetik is good and powermaster

HMAX08 02-24-2011 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport (Post 7945629)
the yellow tops or ok the kinetiks are over rated the 5100r is made by powermaster they call xs power http://4xspower.com/products/mobile-audio/competition/

To be honest, XS is just another player in the game of car audio batteries. If you think Kinetiks is overrated, then you definitely believe that stinger battaries are overrated:laugh:

To be honest they are all the same, you pay for the name

nismo2010 02-24-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan (Post 7945598)

+1

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan (Post 7945630)
I dont quite understand what your question regarding having the factory system installed. My audio system is not factory by any means, all that i listed is in the car now

Sorry, I meant, I would like to have a switch which can turn off and on the Rear Deck and Subs. Essentially I would be able to play the system with BOSE only or with BOSE and my Extra Uhhmph! =D

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 08:01 AM

So how many batteries do you think i need for my setup? - Can i leave the front alone or will I have to switch that as well?

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan (Post 7945639)
To be honest, XS is just another player in the game of car audio batteries. If you think Kinetiks is overrated, then you definitely believe that stinger battaries are overrated:laugh:

To be honest they are all the same, you pay for the name

wrong but thats ok its all people know xs works better i have owned and kinetik sence 2005 and went over to xs power and will never go back the kinetiks are made with cheap lead plates and are a knockoff of a cheap brand with new decals on then in pretty blue cases.

same battery as the big 2400 SHURiKEN SK-BT120 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SK-BT120.html

HMAX08 02-24-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by gtr0manc3r (Post 7945642)
Sorry, I meant, I would like to have a switch which can turn off and on the Rear Deck and Subs. Essentially I would be able to play the system with BOSE only or with BOSE and my Extra Uhhmph! =D

OK, if you are going to add all that stuff, why mess it up with stock bose headunit and stock bose speakers in the doors? I am pretty sure it can be done however, you sacrifice sound A LOT, if you get the rear deck done then change up your door speakes and headunit.

You can add a switch to the subs and rear deck so thats turned off if anyone wants to drive your ride and not go deaf, so basically once you flip the switch the only speakers playing are the door speakers. (that should not be too hard for any knowledgeable shop)

Side note only time someone dirves my car is if i am drunk :laugh:

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 08:03 AM

also kinetik has a 1 year warrenty and are cheap china knockoffs the xs power are made by powermaster and come with a 3 year warrenty.

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan (Post 7945653)
OK, if you are going to add all that stuff, why mess it up with stock bose headunit and stock bose speakers in the doors? I am pretty sure it can be done however, you sacrifice sound A LOT, if you get the rear deck done then change up your door speakes and headunit.

You can add a switch to the subs and rear deck so thats turned off if anyone wants to drive your ride and not go deaf, so basically once you flip the switch the only speakers playing are the door speakers. (that should not be too hard for any knowledgeable shop)

the switch is easy all you do is run one to the amps remote 12v turn on so you can turn the after market amps on and off.

HMAX08 02-24-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport (Post 7945652)
wrong but thats ok its all people know xs works better i have owned and kinetik sence 2005 and went over to xs power and will never go back the kinetiks are made with cheap lead plates and are a knockoff of a cheap brand with new decals on then in pretty blue cases.

same battery as the big 2400 SHURiKEN SK-BT120 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SK-BT120.html

I personally dont use the kinetik, I use stinger and have been using the same battery for over 3 years now and never had an issue (this same stinger ran my entire sentra ser wiht the same w7). It all has to do with what you want to pay, Who you want to believe. I will take your word for it that they made with cheap leads. Like i said I am not an installer just been around it for awhile.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/z...-jlpics003.jpg
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/z...mashoot009.jpg

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan (Post 7945666)
I personally dont use the kinetik, I use stinger and have been using the same battery for over 3 years now and never had an issue (this same stinger ran my entire sentra ser wiht the same w7). It all has to do with what you want to pay, Who you want to believe. I will take your word for it that they made with cheap leads. Like i said I am not an installer just been around it for awhile.

nothing wrong with singer but they are pricey at retail unless you have a hook up.

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan (Post 7945653)

ROFL exactly now you see what that switch is so important as to not draw attention when drunk :D

I am sure a JL CleanSweap or a MTX Q5 will be able to restore the sound the the addon amps, dont you guys think?

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport (Post 7945660)
the switch is easy all you do is run one to the amps remote 12v turn on so you can turn the after market amps on and off.

exactly what I wanted to do! :D

HMAX08 02-24-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport (Post 7945669)
nothing wrong with singer but they are pricey at retail unless you have a hook up.

TELL ME ABOUT IT:eek::eek: HAHA. Retail was like 400bills, plus I needed a battery for my car at the time and I was like what the hell go for it hahah. Hasent let me down so i cant complain. When i traded in the SER i told service guy, thats not going wiht the car

nismo2010 02-24-2011 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan (Post 7945666)

Clean setup you have there!

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 08:43 AM

So do you guys think about the following:
Any think you would replace or add. Any comments welcomed. :confused:

2009maxima sv-sport 02-24-2011 08:46 AM

all looks good but for the price theres better subs and amps out there

GEAR_HEAD 02-24-2011 08:52 AM

I suggest checking out Elemental Designs stuff too. Their speakers and subs are crazy good, the prices are reasonable, and customer service is excellent.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php

gtr0manc3r 02-24-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport (Post 7945733)
all looks good but for the price theres better subs and amps out there

so what would you do instead? - Maybe I'll go with your recommendations since you been in the field longer.

gtr0manc3r 03-18-2011 09:13 AM

In case anyone was following this thread I got the rear deck built. I have not had a chance to play with/ or configure it. But the pics below should give you an idea of what I am working wit :D

BEFORE
http://www.nanoraid.com/exHosted/maxiDeckBefore.JPG

AFTER

http://www.nanoraid.com/exHosted/maxiDeckAfter.JPG

http://www.nanoraid.com/exHosted/maxiDeckAfter2.JPG