7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

rattle/vibration from rear headliner

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 03:35 PM

rattle/vibration from rear headliner

rattle/vibration from headliner
I have a 2010 with the glass roof, and just at 7K miles now. But from the first week I've had it, I've had a rattle that is more like a resonant vibration, coming from the headliner between the rear glass roof and the rear window. It occurs when going down any road in nead of resurfacing and not totally smooth, or any time you hit a bump, manhole cover, pothole, etc.

One day, I got another person to drive, and I sat in the back seat while going down a slightly bumpy road and found that by pressing up on the headliner, the sound would go away. I tried using pieces of foam rubber and small pieces of rubber strip between the trailing edge of the headliner and the top of the rear window, and it was gone for a while.

But it's back now. If I'm driving down a road that's not really bumpy, but just needing to be resurfaced, that "hum/rattle" comes and goes on a continuing basis. It's especially annoying to anybody sitting in the back seats.

I have found that retracting the roof shade, or the sunroof does not affect it, other than perhaps making it easier to hear.

I just made an appt. with the local dealer's "rattle guy" for first thing Monday. I'm hoping that it's a wiring harness that goes to the antenna, which is on the roof just forward of the rear window. Others in this thread have mentioned that these harnesses aren't really anchored down in any way, and that would be asking for problems IMO.

Has anybody else experienced a similar noise from that rear headliner area, on a glass-roof Maxima?

I will report back after my service call.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Repair results

Today the local dealer serviced my problem under NTB09-132 which has to do with re-torquing a series of bolts around the roof frame. This applies only to models with the front/rear glass roof. It was covered under warranty without charge. I had to leave the car for a few hours as the headliner needed to be lowered to do this. There are also some harnesses up there due to the motors which operate the cloth "blinds" and also the antenna. I suspect these may have been further anchored. Trip home; no vibrations or rattles, so fingers crossed that the problem was solved.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 AM

I have the exact problem. Will make appointment at dealer. Only three weeks old and I have to go back.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also have the same problem. I have 2010 SV with a sunroof (not dual). The creaking noise sounds sometimes like a old wood floor. This started about 6 months ago on and off. Finally over the last 2 months it was steady, so I brought my car in to have it checked. My service guy Mike told me right away what it was and referenced TSB NTB09-132. He asked if could bring back the car another day since they had to order in some type of kit to make the fix.. So will report back in about 1 week on the results