7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Car doesn't unlock when put in park

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 PM

Car doesn't unlock when put in park

Does anybody know how to fix this issue? Im getting tired of having to flip the latch to unlock the door. Help!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:24 PM

When u first put the car in the on position, press and hold the unlock button for 5-10 seconds and your blinkers should flash.. This should fix the problem...
Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by funnyman82
When u first put the car in the on position, press and hold the unlock button for 5-10 seconds and your blinkers should flash.. This should fix the problem...
Crank it up or just put it on "ON"?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 PM

Either way is fine.. I have done with engine on personally..
Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 AM

MaximaATL2009 is bolder than my wife and I. We are extremely security-conscious. When we park anywhere other than inside our garage (and after the garage doors are closed), we don't want our doors to unlock when we park the car. We stop the car, turn off the engine, then we sit a moment carefully surveying everything around us. If we see anything even remotely suspicious, we simply restart the car and go elsewhere. Only when we feel there seems to be no danger close by do we unlock a door. And we only unlock the doors we will be using, not all four.

I don't care what the statistics say, crime in the Atlanta area is out of control. There are murders every night. Carjackings are very common. Three Georgia Tech students were robbed at gunpoint in three separate incidents right beside the campus in one weekend a week or two ago. Our granddaughter graduates from Tech in six months, and we will be very happy when she is away from there. Not that any place is safe these days.

Of course, if we were back in the Arizona desert, or in any small town with a very low crime rate, we could go back to living like normal citizens, feeling safe in most places, and parking anywhere we want, with the doors unlocking when we turn the car off.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
MaximaATL2009 is bolder than my wife and I. We are extremely security-conscious. When we park anywhere other than inside our garage (and after the garage doors are closed), we don't want our doors to unlock when we park the car. We stop the car, turn off the engine, then we sit a moment carefully surveying everything around us. If we see anything even remotely suspicious, we simply restart the car and go elsewhere. Only when we feel there seems to be no danger close by do we unlock a door. And we only unlock the doors we will be using, not all four.

I don't care what the statistics say, crime in the Atlanta area is out of control. There are murders every night. Carjackings are very common. Three Georgia Tech students were robbed at gunpoint in three separate incidents right beside the campus in one weekend a week or two ago. Our granddaughter graduates from Tech in six months, and we will be very happy when she is away from there. Not that any place is safe these days.

Of course, if we were back in the Arizona desert, or in any small town with a very low crime rate, we could go back to living like normal citizens, feeling safe in most places, and parking anywhere we want, with the doors unlocking when we turn the car off.
This is why I have my concealed carry permit sure come try and car jack me and itll be the last thing they do
Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 PM

Im going to have to try this.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Sounds like L.A.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 AM

Atlanta does not sound like a nice place to be.

I often leave my car unlocked in the driveway overnight because I forget about it when I'm going to bed. Sometimes boring suburbia has its advantages.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by AlDente67
Atlanta does not sound like a nice place to be.

I often leave my car unlocked in the driveway overnight because I forget about it when I'm going to bed. Sometimes boring suburbia has its advantages.

Sadly, I live in 'boring suburbia', about forty miles south of downtown Atlanta, in a fairly quiet, pastorial area. Unfortunately, there are not enough 'fat targets' left in downtown Atlanta to meet the requirements of the thousands of perps in the countless gangs there, so they head to the suburbs, where money and higher value property still exists, to ply their trade.

We have only been burglarized once. That was twenty years ago. The perps bypassed our iron gates and drove right through our fence and over our dogwoods and across 300 feet of front lawn (cutting grooves with their heavy truck), actually smashing down both the front door and the door to the garage and unloaded everything in our home, including all the clothes in our closets and everything both my wife's and my dead parents had left us. With our isolated location, nobody could have seen them.

The following week, we paid a king's ransom for the best security system we could find, with three ways of getting out an alarm (land phone, hidden cell phone backup and hidden high powered radio backup), with everything backed up with two levels of batteries in case power is cut.

My wife has gradually moved past this. But the 'going thing' these days in the Atlanta area is smashing and entering occupied homes at gunpoint. That is scary. But I have not been able to let that burglary go. I rarely fail to have my .38 S&W right beside my hand, just hoping for the chance to wreak revenge for that feeling of extreme violation that still exists.

Back to the Maxima. I don't worry when it is locked in my garage. But parking anywhere else is a concern. Since the Maxima is front wheel drive, a thief can steal it by simply backing up to the front bumper with a wrecker equipped with a bumper-wrapper lift. Such equipment is very common with thieves. So I always try to park with the front end against something that will block the wrecker from reaching the front bumper. Against a wall is perfect, but against a street light pole, power pole, row of thick hedges, or next to a vertical dropoff all work well. I also try to park in open view, visible to lots of passing folks. If at night, I try to find well-lighted spots. But then we all do those things.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Everytime you disconnect the battery, this usually happens & the power up and down windows. Just have to reset it, its not a glitch
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I tried this and it didn't work. Tried both with engine on and just in on position. Tried the unlock button on door and the key fob. No luck.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 PM

Disconnect battery again..and try again. It should work. You just have to wait for the click noise.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
Disconnect battery again..and try again. It should work. You just have to wait for the click noise.
I was trying this yesterday and I turned the car on held the unlock button down for 5-10 seconds and I saw both of my blinkers flash 2 or 3 times, then I drove the car to where they automaticaly lock after 15 or 20 mph and when I can to a stop I put into Park and nothing happened. I tried this a few times and still doesn't work!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 AM

huh? this is not a feature of this car i don't think.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 AM

It unlocks when you turn it off
Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 AM

exactly, when the button is in the off position does the doors unlock.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Car Addict
Sounds like L.A.
You probably live deep in the ghetto (East LA)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 AM

Thanks!!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I looked in the manual and it doesn't say that this is an option. I previously had a 2004 maxima that could be set like that, but now I have a 2009 maxima and am disappointed that you cannot do it with this generation.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM

It does not have the option to auto unlock the doors when you put it in Park, but it does have the option to auto unlock the doors after you turn the engine/ignition off.

AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCKS
● All doors lock automatically when the vehicle
speed reaches 15 MPH (24 km/h).
● All doors unlock automatically when the ignition
is placed in the OFF position.
The automatic unlock function can be deactivated
or activated. To deactivate or activate
the automatic door unlock system, perform
the following procedure:
1. Close all doors.
2. Place the ignition switch in the ON position.
3. Within 20 seconds of performing Step 2,
push and hold the power door lock switch to
the position (UNLOCK) for more than
5 seconds.
4. When activated, the hazard indicator will
flash twice. When deactivated, the hazard
indicator will flash once.
5. The ignition switch must be placed in the
OFF and ON position again between each
setting change.
When the automatic door unlock system is deactivated,
the doors do not unlock when the ignition
switch is placed in the OFF position. To unlock
the door manually, use the inside lock **** or the
power door lock switch (driver’s or front passenger’s
side).
The automatic lock function can be deactivated
the automatic door lock system, perform
the following procedure:
1. Close all doors.
the position (LOCK) for more than
5 seconds.
setting change.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Imabeast
I looked in the manual and it doesn't say that this is an option. I previously had a 2004 maxima that could be set like that, but now I have a 2009 maxima and am disappointed that you cannot do it with this generation.
I would NEVER want the doors to automatically unlock until I turned the engine off. I sometimes stop for some little something like changing the positioning of the seats, mirrors, etc from my wife's driving position to mine, and I put the car in park to do that. But I don't turn the engine off, and certainly do not want the doors to unlock, because as soon as everything is repositioned, I will be moving the lever to drive and continuing my trip.

As LSIII tells us (preceding post), I can set the system to have the doors unlock automatically by simply turning off the engine.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 AM

I live in Canada.......just west of Toronto in a place called Kitchener. We leave our doors unlocked all the time. In fact my garage door is always open in the summer. Sometimes people leave their garage doors open all night after forgeting to close it before bed. Never feel threatned....everybody watches out for everybody.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaRaj
I live in Canada.......just west of Toronto in a place called Kitchener. We leave our doors unlocked all the time. In fact my garage door is always open in the summer. Sometimes people leave their garage doors open all night after forgeting to close it before bed. Never feel threatned....everybody watches out for everybody.
Wow. Must be nice.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaRaj
That sounds very nice. I wish we had that option where I live.

We live in a rather quiet rural area, but one that is accessible to perps from metro Atlanta and other less-civilized places. A 45 year old woman living at the other end of the road we live on was shot dead on her front porch when she returned home and interrupted burglars last Thursday afternoon. My wife and I had passed her driveway just a half hour earlier. We passed her home again today, and saw vehicles gathered for her funeral at the nearby funeral home.

If we left our garage doors open all night, we would have snakes, chipmunks, squirrels, coyotes, salamanders, geckos, crows, chiggers, deer, opossums, bats, rats, mosquitoes, hawks and every other form of life inside our garage by morning. I left the garage doors open two hours a year or so ago while thinning trees in our east woods, and returned home to find a neighbor's dairy cow in our garage looking at me over the hood of my Maxima. I also remember having one of the horses we kept in our west pasture trying to take a bite out of the hood of my wife's green truck, scraping paint off.

We keep our doors locked and our security system on at all times, and I carry my .38 with me everywhere in the house, including the bathroom and bedroom. This is a very mean world, and perps around the Atlanta metro area have no qualms about smashing through the front door of occupied homes.

Canada also has crime, but I have long had the impression Canada was a far safer country to live in than many parts of the U.S. Toronto has been my favorite city to visit for many decades. It just feels clean and safe. I love sitting in the little parks along the lakefront (Ontario) on a balmy late summer afternoon.

But this is far astray from Maxima doors automatically unlocking. There are options with almost every function in these 7th gen Maximas that I will never know about in the five or six years I plan to have this 7th gen. That is one reason the manuals that come with this car have many hundreds of pages; too many to really digest unless we read for several hours a day for weeks. Making it worse, I sometimes have trouble finding things in these manuals.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by PSU09MAXIMA
This is why I have my concealed carry permit sure come try and car jack me and itll be the last thing they do
So you're gonna pull out your permit with a gun pointed to your face? Or are you gonna do something even stupider and reach for your gun? Even if you do have a concealed gun lightonthehill's awareness is needed.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
So you're gonna pull out your permit with a gun pointed to your face? Or are you gonna do something even stupider and reach for your gun? Even if you do have a concealed gun lightonthehill's awareness is needed.
This uncomfortable situation is why local authorities have hesitated in allowing Ga Tech students to carry guns. Yes, crime is bad around the Tech campus, and there were three armed robberies of students in one weekend recently. Two Tech students have been shot by armed robbers within the last two years. Last month, Tech students asleep in their dorm room were awakened and robbed in the middle of the night.

BUT

When a robber steps out of the bushes or from the shadows with a piston pointed at your head, any attempt to reach for a gun would be fatal, and whether you reach for your gun or not, your gun would be taken and added to the perp's arsenal.

Guns can be a great equalizer or a great danger, depending on the situation and judgement of the person having them. After much thought, I made a decision long ago to never take my gun off my own property.

I keep the doors of my Maxima locked at all times, try to park in as safe a spot as possible, try to park where I can see the car from wherever I will be, try to avoid being in tough areas, never park near a car with people sitting in it looking around, have at least one locking lug-nut on each wheel, try to be home before dark, park nose-in to a wall or post so the car will be difficult to lift the drive wheels off the ground and carried away, and never leave anything of value visible in the car. Nothing is guaranteed, but being alert and careful helps.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 08-17-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:31 PM

Did you get this fixed? Cause I think I just encountered the same...can't unlock the car either with fob or internally ....thanks!
Old 12-24-2016, 04:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LSIII
It does not have the option to auto unlock the doors when you put it in Park, but it does have the option to auto unlock the doors after you turn the engine/ignition off.

AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCKS
the following procedure:
1. Close all doors.
5 seconds.
setting change.
side).
the following procedure:
1. Close all doors.
5 seconds.
setting change.
I tried this on my Maxima SR 2016 and it worked like magic. Thanks
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LSIII

AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCKS
the following procedure:
1. Close all doors.
5 seconds.
setting change.
side).
the following procedure:
1. Close all doors.
5 seconds.
setting change.
Does this also work for 2006 maxima