Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015-78/)
-   -   Retiring 2003 maxima - 2012 next (https://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/653757-retiring-2003-maxima-2012-next.html)

majorbludd 08-08-2012 07:21 PM

Retiring 2003 maxima - 2012 next

After 9 years and 200k miles I am looking for a new ride. I love this vehicle, but it is time. I am looking at a 2012 maxima among other vehicles. Anyone out there that has made this transition from 5th gen to 7th gen and care to share their thoughts? Compare/contrast? Will I love it just the same? Any insight is appreciated from any 7th gen owner. thanks in advance.

VQ'rInWLA 08-09-2012 12:00 AM

OT but what are you gonna do with the 5.5? Trade in? Selling? Part out?

jspagna 08-09-2012 07:42 AM

Welcome majorbludd. Wow 200k miles. That's good to hear. We still have our 03 Max and now has only 97,000 miles. We actually gave it to my daugher about 3 years ago and it's still going strong.
A little history. When my daughter started college we decided to give her my wife's 03 Max and we shopped for a new car for my wife and ended up buying a 10 Acura TL SH-AWD. The Acura was a great car but in the 2 1/2 years of ownership she just never could get comfortable in that car and her having back problems didn't help.
About a month ago we traded the TL in for a 2012 SV and she couldn't be happier.
I think the 7th gen Maxima is the closest so for to the 5.5gen Maxima with body and interior styling. I actually love the cat better than the TL as well. So I'm sure you will not regret your choice.
You know what they say happy wife..........

majorbludd 08-09-2012 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA (Post 8569997)
OT but what are you gonna do with the 5.5? Trade in? Selling? Part out?

My first inclination would be to sell it myself - no trade in. I love that car so much though, I have thought about keeping it and having 2 Maximas. Not the worse scenario right?

mls277 08-09-2012 08:33 AM

I kept my old car when I bought the Maxima, but what happened was it sat in the driveway for 2 years. I sold it to a dealership for half its value just to unload it and the costs insurance etc. I just did a trade in for a new Murano (S, AWD w bluetooth) of an older SUV and it was worth it, the payment difference was better than having the extra car. But again it depens totally on the person, the car, the needs, etc. I just dind't need it but didn't want to part with it. Won't do that again. But yes, dealing with dealerships they NEVER want to give me full KBB value

majorbludd 08-09-2012 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by jspagna (Post 8570162)
Welcome majorbludd. Wow 200k miles. That's good to hear. We still have our 03 Max and now has only 97,000 miles. We actually gave it to my daugher about 3 years ago and it's still going strong.
A little history. When my daughter started college we decided to give her my wife's 03 Max and we shopped for a new car for my wife and ended up buying a 10 Acura TL SH-AWD. The Acura was a great car but in the 2 1/2 years of ownership she just never could get comfortable in that car and her having back problems didn't help.
About a month ago we traded the TL in for a 2012 SV and she couldn't be happier.
I think the 7th gen Maxima is the closest so for to the 5.5gen Maxima with body and interior styling. I actually love the cat better than the TL as well. So I'm sure you will not regret your choice.
You know what they say happy wife..........

this is great info as the TL is on the list as well. I am glad to hear you like the max better. Thanks for the feedback.

mls277 08-09-2012 08:40 AM

I drove the old TL, Accord, Corvette, Trailblazer SS, Jeep SRT8 and BMW 3 series before buying the Max. It was the most comfortable and most tech advanced car (for the price, obviously BMW can have more for 50k but) I think at this price this is the BEST car. The infiniti obviously is probably better in a lot of ways but I'm not sure of the pricing. Thats the only car I wished I went and drove and priced out before buying. However, with the 0% offers, rebates etc on the current maxima with tech, sport, premium etc its a darn good value.

jspagna 08-09-2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by mls277 (Post 8570206)
The infiniti obviously is probably better in a lot of ways but I'm not sure of the pricing. Thats the only car I wished I went and drove and priced out before buying. However, with the 0% offers, rebates etc on the current maxima with tech, sport, premium etc its a darn good value.

You still made the right choice. My sister has had two G35X's a 2005 and still has a 2007. Car has lots of power, but other than that it is very uncomfortable (small interior) and has a very harsh ride. So when we were car shopping, we didn't even consider the Infiniti.

BigLou55 08-09-2012 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by majorbludd (Post 8570190)
My first inclination would be to sell it myself - no trade in. I love that car so much though, I have thought about keeping it and having 2 Maximas. Not the worse scenario right?

You could keep the 5.5 gen as your commuter, keeping the miles low on the new maxima that you intend to purchase.

mls277 08-09-2012 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou55 (Post 8570488)
You could keep the 5.5 gen as your commuter, keeping the miles low on the new maxima that you intend to purchase.

Then youre paying for a car you arent driving 4-5 days a week. thats the probelm as much as what youre saying makes.

20_Maxima_10 08-09-2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mls277 (Post 8570518)
Then youre paying for a car you arent driving 4-5 days a week. thats the probelm as much as what youre saying makes.

i drive mine only on weekends. i have my 02 Spec-V for commuter. But my max was bought cash so it makes my scenario a bit different.

BigLou55 08-09-2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by mls277 (Post 8570518)

I completely understand what your saying. I just don't like the idea of getting rid of a car that is paid for, even though its a substantial upgrade, for a car you have a monthly payment on. Everyone situation and outlook is different though. Alternatively, you could switch up the driving between the two of them. I'm just throwing ideas out there to get you to keep your 5.5 :laugh: