7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVT Fluid drain/fill

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:30 AM

For those interested in an all in one kit try this PN PKA35CVT. (Amazon, ebay, etc) You get 5 quarts NS-2, filter, o-ring, plug and even the bolts and gasket to drop the pan. Granted, more expensive than ala-carte but not too bad. If you drop the pan, you will notice what looks like the old type automatic transmission screen/filter assy. This is NOT included. But you do get everything you need without the guess work! Not required, but if you are interested in seeing what work the magnets in the Pan do, and how much "dirt" is in there, this works.

Lt
Old 02-28-2019, 04:33 PM

Anyone needed less or more than around 4.5 quarts of new fluid to refill (with no filter change) and completely drained pan?
Old 03-01-2019, 04:19 AM

I had to put in a little over 4.5 quarts to bring the level into the crosshatch area.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:39 AM

I just scheduled a service appt with my local dealership. The cost to replace trans fluid is $200. I wonder why I am not doing it myself. Lazyarse.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by rudals1281
I just scheduled a service appt with my local dealership. The cost to replace trans fluid is $200. I wonder why I am not doing it myself. Lazyarse.
Get the fluid from beelineparts.com
They sell 5 quarts NS2 fluid for $72.99.
https://www.beelineparts.com/p-genuine-nissan-oem-cvt-2-transmission-fluid-999mp-ns200p-5-quarts-new-part-999mp-cv0ns2-pkns25

Just got 10 quarts from them for 145 shipped.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Get the fluid from beelineparts.com
They sell 5 quarts NS2 fluid for $72.99.
https://www.beelineparts.com/p-genui...-cv0ns2-pkns25

Just got 10 quarts from them for 145 shipped.
Then just get underneath and replace myself?
Old 03-06-2019, 03:10 AM

Yes it's really easy to do, Save your hard earned money and spend it elsewhere.. lol
Old 06-04-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by rudals1281
Is that with the filter change ? I have read that changing the filter is very important ? How many miles do you have ?
Old 06-05-2019, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2013maxima
Is that with the filter change ? I have read that changing the filter is very important ? How many miles do you have ?
That maybe just for the fluid and labor, Dealerships charge an arm and leg. The CVT fluid change is really easy to do are you handy and know your way around a car for routine maintenance ex: Oil changes, filter etc? This is basically the same steps as an oil change, remove the CVT drain plug let the fluid drain for about 15-20 minutes or until you see there's no more drips then replace the O-ring gasket on the plug and put it back on and tighten it to a snug but not to tight, then turn your wheel all the way to the left and remove the side cover really easy to do and you'll see the CVT filter with 2 lines connected to it. Remove the lines and remove the filter and replace with a new one it has 3 bolts to it I believe. fill the CVT with 3 quarts then start the car and let it warm to operating temperature then continue to add the remaining fluid to bring it to level all together should be about 4 1/2 quarts or a slight bit more to bring it up to the end of the cross hatch on the dipstick and your done. You can get the CVT fluid on Beelineparts.com they have the NS2 OEM CVT fluid and will ship it right to your door in a few days much cheaper than getting it from the dealer.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by MaximusN8
That maybe just for the fluid and labor, Dealerships charge an arm and leg. The CVT fluid change is really easy to do are you handy and know your way around a car for routine maintenance ex: Oil changes, filter etc? This is basically the same steps as an oil change, remove the CVT drain plug let the fluid drain for about 15-20 minutes or until you see there's no more drips then replace the O-ring gasket on the plug and put it back on and tighten it to a snug but not to tight, then turn your wheel all the way to the left and remove the side cover really easy to do and you'll see the CVT filter with 2 lines connected to it. Remove the lines and remove the filter and replace with a new one it has 3 bolts to it I believe. fill the CVT with 3 quarts then start the car and let it warm to operating temperature then continue to add the remaining fluid to bring it to level all together should be about 4 1/2 quarts or a slight bit more to bring it up to the end of the cross hatch on the dipstick and your done. You can get the CVT fluid on Beelineparts.com they have the NS2 OEM CVT fluid and will ship it right to your door in a few days much cheaper than getting it from the dealer.
Thanks, I watched this video............unfortunately I live in a condo and if I spilled a drop they would charge me for cleanup , lol

Local shop wants to use BG fluid ( which I don't want) and had no idea about the Filter

I called the dealer and the parts guy never even heard of the filter either even when I gave him the part # so I wonder if they even change it.

https://www.my4dsc.com/how-to-replac...-filter-video/

Last edited by 2013maxima; 06-05-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 AM

Thanks, I watched this video............unfortunately I live in a condo and if I spilled a drop they would charge me for cleanup , lol

Local shop wants to use BG fluid and had no idea about the Filter

I called the dealer and the parts guy never even heard of the filter either even when I gave him the part # so I wonder if they even change it.

https://www.my4dsc.com/how-to-replac...-filter-video/
Lol, I wouldn't use any other fluid besides the Nissan OEM NS2, I have heard a few people and this is a very few people that have used Castrol CVT fluid with out any problems but I would definitely not recommend that especially with the CVT on these cars being very sensitive it's best in my opinion to stick with the OEM NS2 fluid. As far as the filter goes there are some places that don't know it exists and this is mainly because there's no mention of it in the service manual, But I assure you it's there I've changed it twice and when you order it tell them you want the transmission oil filter that's what I believe it comes up as in their system at Nissan. This filter is very important and should be changed during every CVT fluid change!
Old 06-05-2019, 10:51 AM

Lol, I wouldn't use any other fluid besides the Nissan OEM NS2, I have heard a few people and this is a very few people that have used Castrol CVT fluid with out any problems but I would definitely not recommend that especially with the CVT on these cars being very sensitive it's best in my opinion to stick with the OEM NS2 fluid. As far as the filter goes there are some places that don't know it exists and this is mainly because there's no mention of it in the service manual, But I assure you it's there I've changed it twice and when you order it tell them you want the transmission oil filter that's what I believe it comes up as in their system at Nissan. This filter is very important and should be changed during every CVT fluid change!

Oh it's there but the local guy says it's 90 minutes labor per the book to change the filter so I have to wonder if Nissan Dealers are even changing it for $200. Local guy wants $395 using BG fluid which is not going to happen

When I do have it done I'm asking for the old filter back. This shop is supposed to be top notch but maybe not as they say they have never even replaced the filter before.

"This is interesting - I called the local Nissan dealership to get a price on the filter for your Maxima. The gentleman in the parts department had never heard of it and didn't know it had one on it. I actually had to give him the part number. He stated that they didn't have the filter in stock and even mentioned that they've never sold one (at least in quite some time). I would encourage you to understand exactly what you will get for $200.

As far as our pricing, when creating an estimate we use a couple of different labor guides to look up parts and labor. In this instance, only one of the guides listed this filter. This particular guide (Alldata) shows 1.5 hours of labor to replace this filter. Along with these guides, we use past experience along with a visual inspection (most of the time when we create an estimate we have the vehicle present). When we suspect the guide doesn't seem right we go with experience and visual inspection. Unfortunately, in this case, we too haven't replaced this filter on this particular vehicle before. Without having your vehicle here to take a look at it for ourselves we based the estimate on the information we had.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Oh it's there but the local guy says it's 90 minutes labor per the book to change the filter so I have to wonder if Nissan Dealers are even changing it for $200. Local guy wants $395 using BG fluid which is not going to happen

When I do have it done I'm asking for the old filter back. This shop is supposed to be top notch but maybe not as they say they have never even replaced the filter before.

"This is interesting - I called the local Nissan dealership to get a price on the filter for your Maxima. The gentleman in the parts department had never heard of it and didn't know it had one on it. I actually had to give him the part number. He stated that they didn't have the filter in stock and even mentioned that they've never sold one (at least in quite some time). I would encourage you to understand exactly what you will get for $200.

As far as our pricing, when creating an estimate we use a couple of different labor guides to look up parts and labor. In this instance, only one of the guides listed this filter. This particular guide (Alldata) shows 1.5 hours of labor to replace this filter. Along with these guides, we use past experience along with a visual inspection (most of the time when we create an estimate we have the vehicle present). When we suspect the guide doesn't seem right we go with experience and visual inspection. Unfortunately, in this case, we too haven't replaced this filter on this particular vehicle before. Without having your vehicle here to take a look at it for ourselves we based the estimate on the information we had.
Definitely doesn't take 90 mins to change that filter I can attest to that and many others on the forum can attest to that as well, Please research a few places or other Nissan dealerships before committing to one that will over charge you or to a independent garage that will use some junk knock off fluid then take your money and your left with a headache if your CVT fails.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:26 AM

Definitely doesn't take 90 mins to change that filter I can attest to that and many others on the forum can attest to that as well, Please research a few places or other Nissan dealerships before committing to one that will over charge you or to a independent garage that will use some junk knock off fluid then take your money and your left with a headache if your CVT fails.

The quote in red is from a local shop, oddly enough they offer a "flush" that includes a CVT warranty. It's a PIA having to explain to shops what you want done. Next closest Nissan dealer is over an hour away.

The line that is not in bold letters is a generic statement. The est. for the CVT is correct for just a drain and fill. An actual flush with the machine is about $400 and can be performed with the machine and tools we have. That service also comes with a 30k mile warranty with insurance. $4000 if under 50k miles on the car or $2000 if over 50k miles but less than 100k miles. With that said, typically the drain and fill should be good enough if done early in a vehicles life unless you want the insurance policy we offer.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM

The quote in red is from a local shop, oddly enough they offer a "flush" that includes a CVT warranty. It's a PIA having to explain to shops what you want done. Next closest Nissan dealer is over an hour away.

The line that is not in bold letters is a generic statement. The est. for the CVT is correct for just a drain and fill. An actual flush with the machine is about $400 and can be performed with the machine and tools we have. That service also comes with a 30k mile warranty with insurance. $4000 if under 50k miles on the car or $2000 if over 50k miles but less than 100k miles. With that said, typically the drain and fill should be good enough if done early in a vehicles life unless you want the insurance policy we offer.
Not recommended to flush these transmissions, Drain and fill is the standard procedure for these cars. I would buy 5 quarts of NS2 and the filter and bring it to a trusted garage and ask them to drain, fill and replace the filter. Make sure to note that it won't take all 5 quarts but a little more than 4 1/2 give or take to bring it to level at operating temperature. Definitely don't want to over fill it these transmissions aren't to forgiving.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:41 AM

Not recommended to flush these transmissions, Drain and fill is the standard procedure for these cars. I would buy 5 quarts of NS2 and the filter and bring it to a trusted garage and ask them to drain, fill and replace the filter. Make sure to note that it won't take all 5 quarts but a little more than 4 1/2 give or take to bring it to level at operating temperature. Definitely don't want to over fill it these transmissions aren't to forgiving.

I mentioned that about the flush and that was his reply, dealers and mechanic around here appear to be clueless about the CVT ...........I can say for sure I will never buy another CVT again
Old 06-05-2019, 11:59 AM

I mentioned that about the flush and that was his reply, dealers and mechanic around here appear to be clueless about the CVT ...........I can say for sure I will never buy another CVT again
Not the car's and Nissan's fault, it seems you have some bunch of idiot shops around you.
Get the fluid NS2, filter and drain plug washer from Nissan and do it yourself in a DIY garage or rent a place.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Not the car's and Nissan's fault, it seems you have some bunch of idiot shops around you.
Get the fluid NS2, filter and drain plug washer from Nissan and do it yourself in a DIY garage or rent a place.
Yes it is odd especially since we have one of if not the best IND BMW and Porsche shops. I'm going to email and ask if he or one of his employees would do the CVT if I buy the supplies.

Odd that the dealer is not changing the filter or if they are the parts guy doesn't even stock it.

I have never heard of a DIY shop near where I live or at all for that matter...

Thanks for everyones help, at some point I'll find a place and will ask for the old filter. As of now my CVT is under warranty until March 2020 per the Nissan Gold warranty they transferred to me when I bought the car
Old 06-05-2019, 01:41 PM

Yes it is odd especially since we have one of if not the best IND BMW and Porsche shops. I'm going to email and ask if he or one of his employees would do the CVT if I buy the supplies.

Odd that the dealer is not changing the filter or if they are the parts guy doesn't even stock it.

I have never heard of a DIY shop near where I live or at all for that matter...

Thanks for everyones help, at some point I'll find a place and will ask for the old filter. As of now my CVT is under warranty until March 2020 per the Nissan Gold warranty they transferred to me when I bought the car
Honestly if all else fails try to find a place maybe a friends driveway or garage and change it yourself it's really not that hard to do at all and I would hate for you to spend all kinds of money on unnecessary labor, Some mechanics charge so much money for the simplest of tasks only because they can, CVT is the wave of the future for transmissions and a lot of Auto makers are now going with CVT's because their a simpler design and is suppose to be much better on gas mileage. On that note you can't blame the CVT and get discouraged on ever owning one again especially if it's going to become a whole new generation of transmissions that comes standard on all vehicles. That day may come, It just seems in your area the mechanics and dealerships don't service CVT'S often or at all!
Old 06-05-2019, 03:34 PM

$299 with filter at Nissan dealer an hour away, good excuse for a trip to Mall of America on Saturday
Lol, I guess that will have to do. Let us know how you make out with your experience!
Old 06-05-2019, 03:47 PM

Lol, I guess that will have to do. Let us know how you make out with your experience!

I edited my post and I wanted to make sure you saw it so I deleted and posted again below

$299 with filter at Nissan dealer an hour away, good excuse for a trip to Mall of America on Saturday.

FWIW, this dealer also told me at first there is no filter. He said the parts guy and a tech said no CVT filter on a 2013 Maxima. When I insisted that there is a filter and gave them the part number the service manager picked up and confirmed the filter and the full cost.

Given that one Nissan dealer told me there is no filter, a highly respected local shop said the same and now a 2nd Nissan dealer told me at first there is no CVT filter I have to wonder if all of the filters are even being replaced. In reality you wouldn't know for sure.

I will be getting the old filter when the job is complete so I know it was done.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:24 PM

I edited my post and I wanted to make sure you saw it so I deleted and posted again below

$299 with filter at Nissan dealer an hour away, good excuse for a trip to Mall of America on Saturday.

FWIW, this dealer also told me at first there is no filter. He said the parts guy and a tech said no CVT filter on a 2013 Maxima. When I insisted that there is a filter and gave them the part number the service manager picked up and confirmed the filter and the full cost.

Given that one Nissan dealer told me there is no filter, a highly respected local shop said the same and now a 2nd Nissan dealer told me at first there is no CVT filter I have to wonder if all of the filters are even being replaced. In reality you wouldn't know for sure.

I will be getting the old filter when the job is complete so I know it was done.

Thanks for all the help.
No problem, Yes make sure you see the old filter.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 AM

It's been a while since I have been on the forum. My wife is still driving our 2012 Maxima and knock on wood, it still runs and drives great. I changed the engine oil and filter and also did the drain and filter change just before 100k miles. This is the 3rd time I have done it to our Maxima. If it keeps the cars transmission running good until the car is 10 years old that is awesome. It will be time for a new ride by then.

Don't be afraid to change the fluid and external filter. It's very easy and can be done in a couple hours easily. Probably an hour if you are handy.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:43 PM

Anyone knows what size Allen key needed to open the plug for the cvt fluid drain?
Old 12-25-2019, 05:42 AM

It's 10mm
Old 12-25-2019, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by jevery
It's 10mm
Appreciate that brother, merry Christmas
Old 01-22-2020, 10:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Best CVT oil

Bought a 2009 Nissan Maxima with 122k miles, I want to do a tranny drain & fill, my question is what’s the best oil to use as I see all over internet that Valvoline, Iasin, & idemitsu are good but which do you all thinks it’s best to use?

thanks in advance
Old 01-23-2020, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by TuPonle
Bought a 2009 Nissan Maxima with 122k miles, I want to do a tranny drain & fill, my question is what’s the best oil to use as I see all over internet that Valvoline, Iasin, & idemitsu are good but which do you all thinks it’s best to use?

thanks in advance
it's fluid not oil, Nissan NS2 only
Old 01-23-2020, 09:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

it's fluid not oil, Nissan NS2 only
sorry meant fluid
Old 01-23-2020, 10:41 AM

sorry meant fluid
Don't use anything other than Nissan NS2 CVT fluid, get it from a local nissan dealer or a trusted online source.
you also might want to change the filter. So much information written above in this topic just read.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Filter?
Old 01-23-2020, 03:22 PM

Filter?
Nissan part # 31726-1XE0A. Jump up to post #99.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:27 PM

A question for those who remember,
Do Nissan CVT NS2 fluid bottles come with silver lid under the cover (like engine oil bottles)?

Edit: Local dealer NS2 bottle does NOT have a sliver lid either (opposed to engine oil bottles), the mean parts guy forced me to buy the bottle in order to open it
But at least I feel better after pouring the 5 quarts from beelineparts.com (this online store btw was closed permanently)

Last edited by mahanddeem; 01-31-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:53 PM

I just did what should be my last drain and fill and filter change 30 min ago
No silver cover on any of mine.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
Lt are you parting ways with your Max?
Old 02-02-2020, 02:15 PM

In 65,000 more mile. 435,000 today, got to make it to half million miles
Old 02-02-2020, 02:20 PM

In 65,000 more mile. 435,000 today, got to make it to half million miles
Lol, If it's still running strong would you consider keeping it or are you just wanting to hit that 500,000 and part ways either way?
Old 02-02-2020, 06:27 PM

how much fluid did you get out of the transmission and filter total today LtLeary?
Old 02-03-2020, 05:20 AM

Well we both have a few years on us and don't look as good up close as we did when young. So this is a hard question to answer. I am debating now to determine whither to get her painted (hurricanes sand blasting) carpet replaced (friend with 5 inch heels so ok, it was worth it) and the driver seatback (leather flaking off) so maybe 4 or $5K to get her ready for the opera. The tech is a bit dated but on the other hand, I have everything I need with the addition of the Bluetooth gateways, DVR that has lane departure warnings, QI charging and mount for my S9 plenty of addon usb ports and most everything mentioned hardwired and mounted. Not to mention at 500k miles new tires will be required so that is another $1,000.

Now most folks won't get the next statement so don't be hating. She Fits Me. Does everything I need and hasn't ever left me stranded. Kind of like that old shirt and comfy lounger the better half keeps trying to put in the trash and at the curb.

So to summarize, it isn't a question I can answer with a binary. We shall see if there is there is to be a 9th gen. We shall see what the next oil analysis comes back with, and a thousand other variables. So we shall see.....
Old 02-03-2020, 05:24 AM

how much fluid did you get out of the transmission and filter total today LtLeary?
My driveway is at an angle and I had it on ramps and let it drain for 30min or so while I puttered in the garage with a new electric ratchet. I filled initially with 5 quarts, drove over to the toll roads and turnpike, checked the level when nice and warm and added another 3/4 so all in 5 3/4 quarts.

Quick Reply: CVT Fluid drain/fill